North East Buses
Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Stagecoach North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=57)
+--- Thread: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes (/showthread.php?tid=1032)

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - streetdeckfan - 27 Oct 2022

They either need to enforce proper competition, ie. not allowing the monopolistic tactic of the operators having their own 'territory', or go down the route of franchising, which still allows for competition between operators providing the services on pre-determined routes.

But, as I've said before, if they go down the route of franchising they need to ensure that quality is near the top of the list when it comes to choosing an operator.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Andreos1 - 27 Oct 2022

(27 Oct 2022, 7:22 am)busmanT But you can't "turn the clock back" 36 years just like that!!

37 years ago there wasn't Sunday trading; there weren't out of town business parks; there weren't large housing estates being built well away from main bus routes'; there wasn't work from home - nearly everyone travelled 5 days a week to a relatively local job, whereas now many people travel 20-30 miles each way per day to work. Large numbers of people were employed in heavy industry with works buses providing transport (steel works, coal mines, Team Valley et al). 

If you are not in your mid 50s you can't really remember pre-deregulation - let's not forget that deregulation (36 years - 1986 to 2022) has lasted longer than the PTE/NBC era (17 years - 1969 to 1986) and the Nationalised (BTC/THC) era (21 years - 1948 to 1969).

So what can operators/local authorities do to ensure that operators adapt to suit those changing demands?
From where I am standing, apart from increasing frequencies and routes on a Sunday - nothing much.
The routes are pretty much as they were in 86 and haven't adapted to suit those new estates, retail parks or much else really.

You mention Team Valley as an example. Compare services prior to 86 to the services now. Kingsway, Earlsway, Retail World. Any particular area on there. I'm not fussed. Better? Worse? Different services? The same services? Destinations?

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Rob44 - 27 Oct 2022

I always chuckle when people mention places like team valley. What exactly can you buy there that you don't need a private car/van to take home. You cant get a lawn moor from homebased on. Or a 3 tv from curry's. Hell on some buses there isn't even anywhere to put a couple of carrier bags of shopping due to the metro tray been place in the luggage bit

(27 Oct 2022, 9:26 am)Rob44 I always chuckle when people mention places like team valley. What exactly can you buy there that you don't need a private car/van to take home. You cant get a lawn moor from homebased on. Or a 3 tv from curry's.  Hell on some buses there isn't even anywhere to put a couple of carrier bags of shopping due to the metro tray been place in the luggage bit

Clothes? Kettle? Trainers? Laptop? Printer ink? Windscreen wipers? All from Retail World. 

Shopping from Sainsburys.

Plus getting to and from work for the thousands who work there.

(27 Oct 2022, 9:34 am)Andreos1 Clothes? Kettle? Trainers? Laptop? Printer ink? Windscreen wipers? All from Retail World. 

Shopping from Sainsburys.

Plus getting to and from work for the thousands who work there.

If i was using a bus for any of these items i would either go to the metro Centre or Newcastle. If i was using the car i'd go there or metro centre due to free parking.
As for Sainsburys are you suggesting doing your weekly shop and having to hump 4, 6 or 8 bags from the entrance to the bus stop for starters, then have nowhere to put it when you get on?  If your only going to Sainsbury for milk and bread fair enough but surely then you'd just go local and pay the premium to the local shop keeper rather thanGNE?

I just think increasing buses to the likes of the " centre" ofteam valley wouldn't make more people go there.  If it would surely the landlord of the valley would maybe incentivize more buses to be re-routed there?  Its a car based retail park, just like many others and it hasn't got anything there that you cant get in gateshead, newcastle or metro centre which all have better bus connections and more choice of shop when you get there

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - streetdeckfan - 27 Oct 2022

(27 Oct 2022, 10:30 am)Rob44 If i was using a bus for any of these items i would either go to the metro Centre or Newcastle. If i was using the car i'd go there or metro centre due to free parking.
As for Sainsburys are you suggesting doing your weekly shop and having to hump 4, 6 or 8 bags from the entrance to the bus stop for starters, then have nowhere to put it when you get on?  If your only going to Sainsbury for milk and bread fair enough but surely then you'd just go local and pay the premium to the local shop keeper rather thanGNE?

I just think increasing buses to the likes of the " centre" ofteam valley wouldn't make more people go there.  If it would surely the landlord of the valley would maybe incentivize more buses to be re-routed there?  Its a car based retail park, just like many others and it hasn't got anything there that you cant get in gateshead, newcastle or metro centre which all have better bus connections and more choice of shop when you get there

I pretty much exclusively go to the Team Valley by bus, because parking is a bloody nightmare! Anything big I always get on Home Delivery anyway as it's less of a faff.

We used to have an office on the Team Valley for the distribution side of the business, and of the 5 people that worked there, only one of them had a car, the rest used the bus.

I'd also argue that Team Valley is better than Newcastle for shopping if you were using the bus. Unless what you wanted was in Eldon Square (which it won't be, because it's crap), then you'll be trekking all over Newcastle!

Metrocentre isn't all it's cracked up to be either, unless you want overpriced clothes made by the same sweatshop workers as Primark, then there's nowt there either!

(27 Oct 2022, 10:49 am)streetdeckfan I pretty much exclusively go to the Team Valley by bus, because parking is a bloody nightmare! Anything big I always get on Home Delivery anyway as it's less of a faff.

We used to have an office on the Team Valley for the distribution side of the business, and of the 5 people that worked there, only one of them had a car, the rest used the bus.

I'd also argue that Team Valley is better than Newcastle for shopping if you were using the bus. Unless what you wanted was in Eldon Square (which it won't be, because it's crap), then you'll be trekking all over Newcastle!

Metrocentre isn't all it's cracked up to be either, unless you want overpriced clothes made by the same sweatshop workers as Primark, then there's nowt there either!

Well your the only person i know who does that.  Im not sure how you can argue that team valley is better then newcastle??  Can i get a burger king at team valley?  Can i go to the pictures to see Black adam?  Can i go to an arcage to play space invaders or and adult arcade to play fruitmachines?  Can i buy a football top ( without giving fat mike) any money.  Can i have  a pint?  Can i buy a phone from ee, or vodaphone shop?  Can i use my big mac and fries for 1.99 bus ticket at McDonalds? i get a tattoo?

Im also not sure where you get parking is a nightmare from as when i do go in the car its alway fine for me?

I wonder if we are talking about 2 different place?

(27 Oct 2022, 10:59 am)Rob44 Well your the only person i know who does that.  Im not sure how you can argue that team valley is better then newcastle??  Can i get a burger king at team valley?  Can i go to the pictures to see Black adam?  Can i go to an arcage to play space invaders or and adult arcade to play fruitmachines?  Can i buy a football top ( without giving fat mike) any money.  Can i have  a pint?  Can i buy a phone from ee, or vodaphone shop?  Can i use my big mac and fries for 1.99 bus ticket at McDonalds? i get a tattoo?

Im also not sure where you get parking is a nightmare from as when i do go in the car its alway fine for me?

I wonder if we are talking about 2 different place?

Can i get a burger king at team valley? 
Why would you want to get a Burger King? They're the worst of the fast food chains! 

Can i go to the pictures to see Black adam?  Can i go to an arcage to play space invaders or and adult arcade to play fruitmachines? 
I was talking purely about the shopping aspect.

Can i buy a football top ( without giving fat mike) any money. 
No, but why would you. Just buy some proper clothes. 

Can i have  a pint? 
Probably not, but I'd hope you'd be able to last a few hours without one.

Can i buy a phone from ee, or vodaphone shop? 

EE used to be there, but not anymore (I don't think). Vodafone is crap, but at there's O2! (Vodafone actually use O2's network anyway given their mast sharing agreement - O2 manages the east, Vodafone manages the west) You can also go to Carphone Warehouse in Currys if you wanted.

Can i use my big mac and fries for 1.99 bus ticket at McDonalds?
No idea, but if you go to mcdfoodforthoughts.com, click that you don't have the receipt, tap the next button a few times until it lets you through, then fill in the survey with whatever you want, you'll get a £1.99 voucher that you can use anywhere, even if you order on the app (tap more, scan voucher, and type in the code).

i get a tattoo?
Probably not.

(27 Oct 2022, 12:20 pm)streetdeckfan Can i get a burger king at team valley? 
Why would you want to get a Burger King? They're the worst of the fast food chains! 

Can i go to the pictures to see Black adam?  Can i go to an arcage to play space invaders or and adult arcade to play fruitmachines? 
I was talking purely about the shopping aspect.

Can i buy a football top ( without giving fat mike) any money. 
No, but why would you. Just buy some proper clothes. 

Can i have  a pint? 
Probably not, but I'd hope you'd be able to last a few hours without one.

Can i buy a phone from ee, or vodaphone shop? 

EE used to be there, but not anymore (I don't think). Vodafone is crap, but at there's O2! (Vodafone actually use O2's network anyway given their mast sharing agreement - O2 manages the east, Vodafone manages the west) You can also go to Carphone Warehouse in Currys if you wanted.

Can i use my big mac and fries for 1.99 bus ticket at McDonalds?
No idea, but if you go to mcdfoodforthoughts.com, click that you don't have the receipt, tap the next button a few times until it lets you through, then fill in the survey with whatever you want, you'll get a £1.99 voucher that you can use anywhere, even if you order on the app (tap more, scan voucher, and type in the code).

i get a tattoo?
Probably not.

in your view

And you also cant do any of that, do you never change your mind?

Like a duffel coat and a man bag?

I like to be within 100 yards of a pub at all times

I believe its sharing rather than one company using the other https://www.apwireless.co.uk/o2-and-vodafone-mast-sharing-completed-by-the-end-of-2017/

Yes EE has closed and in now a super drog.

I'd rather just hand my bust ticket in at Grainger or Northumberland street branches and get it for 1.99 seems alot less faff

(27 Oct 2022, 10:30 am)Rob44 If i was using a bus for any of these items i would either go to the metro Centre or Newcastle. If i was using the car i'd go there or metro centre due to free parking.

But doesn't it depend on people's circumstances?

Someone on Lobley Hill might be able to pop to the Metrocentre, Gateshead or Newcastle or even their local shop - but Sainsburys, Team Valley or their office/workplace, is literally at the bottom of the street.

When I last worked on the Valley, I had a colleague who lived on Saltwell Road. 
It was two buses and a walk, or a walk (they didn't drive).
The time I worked on the Valley prior to that (different employer), a colleague lived on the Racecourse Estate and needed to be at the far end of Kingsway.

They're literally the other side of the railway line to the workplace.

Despite the proximity, it is almost impossible to get to the majority of the Valley unless you take a hike or change bus. 
Or drive, clog up roads and delay buses etc.

(27 Oct 2022, 1:52 pm)Rob44 I believe its sharing rather than one company using the other https://www.apwireless.co.uk/o2-and-vodafone-mast-sharing-completed-by-the-end-of-2017/

I know this is getting slightly off topic, but under that agreement Vodafone are managing all of the masts in the west, and O2 are managing all of the masts in the east. The only exceptions are a few large cities where they both have their own sites, and their 5G networks are separate currently. If you look at their coverage checkers, they are pretty much identical.

[Image: vodafone_o2_beacon_vendor_areas.png]

(27 Oct 2022, 2:29 pm)Andreos1 But doesn't it depend on people's circumstances?

Someone on Lobley Hill might be able to pop to the Metrocentre, Gateshead or Newcastle or even their local shop - but Sainsburys, Team Valley or their office/workplace, is literally at the bottom of the street.

When I last worked on the Valley, I had a colleague who lived on Saltwell Road. 
It was two buses and a walk, or a walk (they didn't drive).
The time I worked on the Valley prior to that (different employer), a colleague lived on the Racecourse Estate and needed to be at the far end of Kingsway.

They're literally the other side of the railway line to the workplace.

Despite the proximity, it is almost impossible to get to the majority of the Valley unless you take a hike or change bus. 
Or drive, clog up roads and delay buses etc.

TBH i do agreed with you but.... in my option ( and it mnens nowt) there is nothing on team valley ( retail bit) that you cant get to more easily on the bus to metrocentre / gateshead/ toon.  Ok you could buy your new sofa at scs but you could alos do that at the metrocentre.

Work is different, although i would imagine anyone taking a job down there without the means of private transport would look at how they are going to get there.  I'm sure a few on here can guess where live and work within the gateshead area from my previous posts.  If i want to get to work its  a 30minute trip via 2 buses ( if they connect and on a evening after 7pm its 1 hour 30. Its 12 minutes in the car.  When i first started work i lived in Hazlerigg so had the commute of bus, metro bus or bus to town then bus again. I didn't care that it took me an hour as its the only way i could do it. Now, if i had to do it due to whatever reason It would kill me to use the bus .

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - V514DFT - 27 Oct 2022

(27 Oct 2022, 7:35 am)Economic505 That’s why I said ‘something akin to 1986’ , recognising there are differences. I remember deregulation well. I was 13 at the time.
I wasnt even born  Tongue

(27 Oct 2022, 2:41 pm)Rob44 TBH i do agreed with you but.... in my option ( and it mnens nowt) there is nothing on team valley ( retail bit) that you cant get to more easily on the bus to metrocentre / gateshead/ toon.  Ok you could buy your new sofa at scs but you could alos do that at the metrocentre.

Work is different, although i would imagine anyone taking a job down there without the means of private transport would look at how they are going to get there.  I'm sure a few on here can guess where live and work within the gateshead area from my previous posts.  If i want to get to work its  a 30minute trip via 2 buses ( if they connect and on a evening after 7pm its 1 hour 30. Its 12 minutes in the car.  When i first started work i lived in Hazlerigg so had the commute of bus, metro bus or bus to town then bus again. I didn't care that it took me an hour as its the only way i could do it. Now, if i had to do it due to whatever reason It would kill me to use the bus .

And its because of the shite public transport down there, that bus lanes and priority measures (funded by the public purse) have been put in to place, why they started turning the 93/94 behind Mothercare (rather than outside McDonald's), the never-ending works/widening schemes on the A1 and the inevitable delays to the few buses that do exist - due to the huge numbers of cars on Kingsway... 

Factor all that in and then look at the fact people can get there OK from Felling, Heworth or Beacon Lough - but people can't get there easily from Lobley Hill, Saltwell Road, Birtley or Kibby, then regardless of who the operator is; then there's clearly issues.

And that goes back to the whole discussion around pre 86 services vs post 86 services.
There's still plenty of people needing and wanting to be at places like TVTE. Except the public transport offering hasn't evolved.
...Despite the Coal House getting knocked down, Retail World appearing on the old waggonway and a dynamic shift in the type of work available down there.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Michael - 28 Oct 2022

PB0002404/89
Variation BUSWAYS TRAVEL SERVICES LTD X34 (X34) Newcastle,Pilgrim Street Horsley Hill
Effective date: 20 Nov 2022

Linked to it moving back to South Shields.

Edit:

Wonder if any other changes will appear?

Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - pbjd - 28 Oct 2022

(28 Oct 2022, 1:31 pm)Michael PB0002404/89
Variation BUSWAYS TRAVEL SERVICES LTD X34 (X34) Newcastle,Pilgrim Street Horsley Hill
Effective date: 20 Nov 2022

Linked to it moving back to South Shields.

Edit:

Wonder if any other changes will appear?

Nothing to do with the return to South Shields. Variation will be the inclusion of the Christmas Sunday journeys which I believe haven’t ran since 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(28 Oct 2022, 1:48 pm)pbjd Nothing to do with the return to South Shields. Variation will be the inclusion of the Christmas Sunday journeys which I believe haven’t ran since 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh cool, forgot about those.

X24 has now appeared too.

As we know but here is Stagecoach's post about them running the Arriva 54...

Introduction of Sunday daytime trips on Service 54

From Sunday 30 October 2022, Stagecoach will be operating Sunday daytime trips on Service 54 between Newcastle Haymarket, Gosforth, Killingworth, Shiremoor and Whitley Bay.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-updates/serviceupdatesarticle?SituationId=ID-28/10/2022-08:37:19:905

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - col87 - 31 Oct 2022

Well like I thought due to how slow Stagecoach have been announcing the changes and the council / Connect Tees Valley always taking ages to update the bus stops ( there still have services on the stops which have not existed for years ) it’s caused a lot of confusion. They still people at Asda wanting to get the 1 and half the town have no direct service to the Marina now. But you can now get 3 different services to Morrisons but only 2 ( 3 if you count the Paul’s Travel 65) outside of Asda. I won’t be surprised if by Summer they make further changes.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - tcts24 - 12 Nov 2022

(31 Oct 2022, 11:27 pm)col87 Well like I thought due to how slow Stagecoach have been announcing the changes and the council / Connect Tees Valley always taking ages to update the bus stops ( there still have services on the stops which have not existed for years ) it’s caused a lot of confusion.  They still people at Asda wanting to get the 1 and half the town have no direct service to the Marina now. But you can now get 3 different services to Morrisons but only 2 ( 3 if you count the Paul’s Travel 65) outside of Asda. I won’t be surprised if by Summer  they make further changes.
From my experience of driving buses around Hartlepool, the majority of customers are very confused at the best of times so I don't imagine it's made much difference.