North East Buses
2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) (/showthread.php?tid=1075)

RE: football - Andreos1 - 05 May 2014

(05 May 2014, 2:00 pm)Adam What a daft question to ask Tongue Yeah, I'm deffo going down

I'm pretty sure BT will have it on.

Important to point out as well that there are engineering works happening on the ECML on May 18th. Therefore, all services to/from KGX will take an hour or so longer.

Whey you could have been off on holiday already, booked for an interview at college or skint :p haha

RE: football - MurdnunoC - 05 May 2014

(05 May 2014, 2:00 pm)Adam Important to point out as well that there are engineering works happening on the ECML on May 18th. Therefore, all services to/from KGX will take an hour or so longer.

Well that rules out the train for me. Unless something changes in the next few days it doesn't look like I'll be going down to London for the final.

RE: football - tyresmoke - 05 May 2014

(05 May 2014, 2:44 pm)marxistafozzski Well theres a shock...NOT

Network Rail seems to do engineering work when there expecting a lot of people into LKX...It is as if they think 'we have not dug a hole or took up rails for a while, lets have a dig now'

To be fair the engineering works are booked well in advance, they didn't know Gateshead were to make the final. I guess it could have been any two clubs in the Conference at the time, not necessarily on the ECML!

RE: football - Adam - 05 May 2014

(05 May 2014, 5:16 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Whey you could have been off on holiday already, booked for an interview at college or skint :p haha

haha even if I did book a holiday it would already have been cancelled.

Actually come to think of it, little anecdote. At the end of this month, my whole family are going down to the VIP part of York Races for my Gran & Granda's Golden Wedding. We booked to go and then a few days later my Dad remembered about Gateshead and the play-offs and went into a bit of a panic in case the dates clashed. He checked them and found they didn't. Happy days Smile

(05 May 2014, 5:31 pm)AdamY Well that rules out the train for me. Unless something changes in the next few days it doesn't look like I'll be going down to London for the final.

I've been searching where the works are. There are some works between York and Doncaster, so trains are being diverted. Also, there are some works between Finsbury Park and Kings Cross, but journeys won't be affected by replacement buses. Trains from NCL to KGX will simply take an extra hour to get there because of the diversion. The works do finish at midday though, so returning should be pretty much fine.

The club are making a big announcement about travel tomorrow. Early suggestions seem to be in favour of chartering a train or two, so you could jump on that with us if you wanted to.

Also, the tickets for the match go on sale tomorrow. You have to get them though off Wembley's official website.

RE: football - tyresmoke - 05 May 2014

(05 May 2014, 6:02 pm)Adam haha even if I did book a holiday it would already have been cancelled.

Actually come to think of it, little anecdote. At the end of this month, my whole family are going down to the VIP part of York Races for my Gran & Granda's Golden Wedding. We booked to go and then a few days later my Dad remembered about Gateshead and the play-offs and went into a bit of a panic in case the dates clashed. He checked them and found they didn't. Happy days Smile

I've been searching where the works are. There are some works between York and Doncaster, so trains are being diverted. Also, there are some works between Finsbury Park and Kings Cross, but journeys won't be affected by replacement buses. Trains from NCL to KGX will simply take an extra hour to get there because of the diversion. The works do finish at midday though, so returning should be pretty much fine.

The club are making a big announcement about travel tomorrow. Early suggestions seem to be in favour of chartering a train or two, so you could jump on that with us if you wanted to.

Also, the tickets for the match go on sale tomorrow. You have to get them though off Wembley's official website.

They'll no doubt use Ticketmaster to rip everyone off like they did when Darlo went to Wembley. Still its a once in a lifetime opportunity for most people so you can't not go really!

RE: football - Adam - 05 May 2014

(05 May 2014, 6:16 pm)tyresmoke They'll no doubt use Ticketmaster to rip everyone off like they did when Darlo went to Wembley. Still its a once in a lifetime opportunity for most people so you can't not go really!

Saw the prices before like. Cheapest one is over £30, but still, like you say, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Re: RE: football - MrFozz - 05 May 2014

(05 May 2014, 5:52 pm)tyresmoke To be fair the engineering works are booked well in advance, they didn't know Gateshead were to make the final. I guess it could have been any two clubs in the Conference at the time, not necessarily on the ECML!

I know there booked well in advance, the same seems to happen on the WCML when North West teams are at Wembley there is always something going on the railway

RE: football - Tom - 05 May 2014

Liverpool's hopes of winning the Premier League are shattered. Crystal Palace 3 - 3 Liverpool. Palace played well tonight like.

Re: RE: football - MrFozz - 05 May 2014

(05 May 2014, 8:53 pm)Tom Liverpool's hopes of winning the Premier League are shattered. Crystal Palace 3 - 3 Liverpool. Palace played well tonight like.

I would have pissed myself laughing if you told me that 3 weeks ago...

Liverpool play Newcastle on Sunday and City have Villa in midweek and West Ham on Sunday...

For Liverpool to win

*If they beat Newcastle, they have to count on City getting beat in both there games or draw at least one of them
*If Liverpool draw, the same as above
*If Liverpool lose to Newcastle, they can still win the League if City lose there last
*If City win 1 and lose 1 and Liverpool beat Newcastle , City win on Goal Diff

Cant think of anymore permutations...

But it is citys to lose now

RE: football - Andreos1 - 06 May 2014

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/sir-john-hall-makes-clear-mike-ashley-bought-newcastle-united/

An interesting analysis of events behind the scenes at SJP http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/sir-john-hall-makes-clear-mike-ashley-bought-newcastle-united/

RE: football - Adam - 07 May 2014

Forgot to tell you all this tale the other day about Gateshead and Wembley, so here goes...

Back in 1994, Gateshead were playing Merthyr Tydfil in a FA Trophy match. After 75 minutes, Gateshead were getting beat 2-0 but then scored 3 goals in the last 15 mins to win the game. Anyway, when the third goal went in, my granda had a heart attack and was rushed up to hospital. It was touch and go whether he would survive or not. (He did survive but unfortunately died of bowel cancer a few months before I was born). The club heard about the incident so they bought my granda an expensive bottle of whisky and he always told me dad to never open that bottle of whisky until Gateshead get to Wembley, so now 20 years later, we can finally open it on May 18th Smile

RE: football - MrFozz - 07 May 2014

Good enough reason to crack the Whisky...

Hope it tastes as sweet as getting to see your team at Wembley

RE: football - Andreos1 - 07 May 2014

(07 May 2014, 7:02 pm)Adam Forgot to tell you all this tale the other day about Gateshead and Wembley, so here goes...

Back in 1994, Gateshead were playing Merthyr Tydfil in a FA Trophy match. After 75 minutes, Gateshead were getting beat 2-0 but then scored 3 goals in the last 15 mins to win the game. Anyway, when the third goal went in, my granda had a heart attack and was rushed up to hospital. It was touch and go whether he would survive or not. (He did survive but unfortunately died of bowel cancer a few months before I was born). The club heard about the incident so they bought my granda an expensive bottle of whisky and he always told me dad to never open that bottle of whisky until Gateshead get to Wembley, so now 20 years later, we can finally open it on May 18th Smile

A sad story with an excellent ending.

Didn't want to tempt fate - but Gatesheads fixture with Grimsby was 21 years to the day Newcastle beat Grimsby to win the league.
There were pitch invasions that night too Wink

BTW, whatever happened to Merthyr Tydfil?

(07 May 2014, 7:06 pm)marxistafozzski Good enough reason to crack the Whisky...

Hope it tastes as sweet as getting to see your team at Wembley

haha hopefully. Must admit, I am quite susceptible to a tipple of whisky now and again.

(07 May 2014, 7:12 pm)Andreos Constantopolous A sad story with an excellent ending.

Didn't want to tempt fate - but Gatesheads fixture with Grimsby was 21 years to the day Newcastle beat Grimsby to win the league.
There were pitch invasions that night too Wink

BTW, whatever happened to Merthyr Tydfil?

I'm quietly confident we're going up.

I didn't know what happened to Merthyr Tydfil either but according to Wikipedia, the club folded in 2010 and reformed under Merthyr Town, playing in Division One of the Western League.

RE: football - Andreos1 - 07 May 2014

(07 May 2014, 7:20 pm)Adam haha hopefully. Must admit, I am quite susceptible to a tipple of whisky now and again.

I didn't know what happened to Merthyr Tydfil either but according to Wikipedia, the club folded in 2010 and reformed under Merthyr Town, playing in Division One of the Western League.

After a shaky start the other week, Gateshead dominated Cambridge, without creating too many chances.
Are Cambridge still struggling for a keeper?
The fella they had from Leicester didn't look too confident and had obviously been in a poor Stevenage team prior to signing for Cambridge.

RE: football - Michael - 07 May 2014

Atm Sunderland are stopping up, half time and were 2-0 up... its the prem so anything can happen!

(07 May 2014, 7:27 pm)Andreos Constantopolous After a shaky start the other week, Gateshead dominated Cambridge, without creating too many chances.
Are Cambridge still struggling for a keeper?
The fella they had from Leicester didn't look too confident and had obviously been in a poor Stevenage team prior to signing for Cambridge.

As far as I know, they've still got that keeper from Leicester. I agree with you when you say that he didn't look too confident. With a bit of luck, he still isn't confident with the ball when we play them Tongue

RE: football - Dan - 07 May 2014

(07 May 2014, 7:35 pm)Michael Atm Sunderland are stopping up, half time and were 2-0 up... its the prem so anything can happen!

Quietly confident...

Re: RE: football - MrFozz - 07 May 2014

(07 May 2014, 7:20 pm)Adam haha hopefully. Must admit, I am quite susceptible to a tipple of whisky now and again.

They did indeed fold and reform in 2010...

I have a question for you Adam

Is the Gatshead FC we know today the same Gateshead that was voted out of the League 54 years. Football in Gateshead has an interesting history, reforming a few times, mergers with South Shields and so on...

I am guessing Gateshead today is a new club and it was not this club that got voted out of the league, but also guessing most fans view it as a Phoenix so to speak

RE: football - Michael - 07 May 2014

Were staying up!

What were the odds of us stopping up after the Everton game?