North East Buses
2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) (/showthread.php?tid=1075)

RE: football - MurdnunoC - 11 May 2014

So, with the exception of Gateshead, the season has now drawn to a close for teams in the North East.

As the initial poll for this thread dominates the page, the time has now probably come to discuss which team has been the best in the North East in 2013-14.

For me, there's only two contenders:

Gateshead for their success in the Conference and ascent on Wembley and, hopefully, the Football League through the Play-Off's.

And Sunderland for their memorable cup-run(s) and miraculous escape from what looked like certain relegation.

Any other notable mentions?

Re: RE: football - MrFozz - 11 May 2014

(11 May 2014, 5:06 pm)AdamY So, with the exception of Gateshead, the season has now drawn to a close for teams in the North East.

As the initial poll for this thread dominates the page, the time has now probably come to discuss which team has been the best in the North East in 2013-14.

Gateshead for their success in the Conference and ascent on Wembley and, hopefully, the Football League through the Play-Off's.

And Sunderland for their memorable cup-run(s) and miraculous escape from what looked like certain relegation.

York got into the League 2 Play-Offs and West Auckland reached Wembley in the final of the FA Vase

Are we counting York as a North Eastern team though?

If so, do we count Leeds and Hull as one could argue that they lie in the North East? Especially, if we define 'North East' in terms of old BR Regions; teams covered (or whose league positions are highlighted in bold) by the Sunday Sun; or the entire scope of what was once the Kingdom of Northumbria.

RE: football - Andreos1 - 11 May 2014

(11 May 2014, 5:06 pm)AdamY So, with the exception of Gateshead, the season has now drawn to a close for teams in the North East.

Gateshead without a doubt.
To turn their form around following a poor 12/13 and a bad start to 13/14 and to end up where they have done - takes some doing.

I don't get all the fuss over Sunderland though.
Over the season, they have been shocking and apart from a few one off cup games and this little run towards the end, they haven't impressed me at all.

As for this Premier League season being one of the best - not sure.
Maybe it is because of my disillusionment as a Newcastle supporter; not seeing them live for the first time in too many years and preferring the honesty, commitment and blood & thunder of lower league and kids football - who knows.

RE: football - Michael - 11 May 2014

(11 May 2014, 5:30 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Gateshead without a doubt.
To turn their form around following a poor 12/13 and a bad start to 13/14 and to end up where they have done - takes some doing.

I don't get all the fuss over Sunderland though.
Over the season, they have been shocking and apart from a few one off cup games and this little run towards the end, they haven't impressed me at all.

As for this Premier League season being one of the best - not sure.
Maybe it is because of my disillusionment as a Newcastle supporter; not seeing them live for the first time in too many years and preferring the honesty, commitment and blood & thunder of lower league and kids football - who knows.

OOO a bitter mag? haha

(11 May 2014, 5:30 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Maybe it is because of my disillusionment as a Newcastle supporter; not seeing them live for the first time in too many years and preferring the honesty, commitment and blood & thunder of lower league and kids football - who knows.

I'm toying with the idea of adopting a non-league team to support next season - regularly going to home games and such. I'm trying to convince a couple of my mates to do the same. If I do, it looks like it'll be a toss-up between Consett Town, Ryton and Crawcrook Albion or Whickham.

RE: football - Andreos1 - 11 May 2014

(11 May 2014, 5:36 pm)Michael OOO a bitter mag? haha

Hahaha, no not at all. Honestly.

Aye, they turned it around over the last few weeks and beat some good teams along the way - but you cant tell me hand on heart that this season has been a success for Sunderland?

A quick look at the league table and points tally would tell anyone that it has been poor for you lot.
None of your January signings (who were brought in to help the team) have contributed much.

As for Newcastle, lost interest last season.
Will always support them, but have preferred spending my money elsewhere this year.

(11 May 2014, 5:44 pm)AdamY I'm toying with the idea of adopting a non-league team to support next season - regularly going to home games and such. I'm trying to convince a couple of my mates to do the same. If I do, it looks like it'll be a toss-up between Consett Town, Ryton and Crawcrook Albion or Whickham.

You might get to meet the legend that is Barry Hindson off BBC Newcastle!

You should do.
Don't need your mates to go, there's always an old man and his dog who will have a word and set the world to rights.
A handful of games I have been to this season have been by myself if no-one else was about or wanting to come - certainly wasn't going to miss out because of other people.
At a couple of games, I have ended up chatting (totally randomly) to guys who work for GNE.

(17 Aug 2013, 10:51 am)Michael It's back!!!

Hopefully Sunderland have a good season and our signings gel together.

1-0 win today for us - Giaccherini to score =)

My end of the table predictions...
Manchester City
Chelsea
Manchester United
Arsenal
Everton
Liverpool
Tottenham Hotspur
Swansea City
Fulham
West Ham United
Sunderland
Southampton
Aston Villa
Cardiff City
West Bromwich Albion
Newcastle United
Norwich City
Stoke City
Hull City
Crystal Palace

Surprise team of the season.. Swansea yet again
Top scorer - RVP
Most Yellow cards - Stoke city
Most Red - Stoke City
Manger of the season - Michael Laudrup

Here was my prediction at start of the season

Can say i was wrong on all Tongue

(11 May 2014, 5:54 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Hahaha, no not at all. Honestly.

Aye, they turned it around over the last few weeks and beat some good teams along the way - but you cant tell me hand on heart that this season has been a success for Sunderland?

A quick look at the league table and points tally would tell anyone that it has been poor for you lot.
None of your January signings (who were brought in to help the team) have contributed much.

As for Newcastle, lost interest last season.
Will always support them, but have preferred spending my money elsewhere this year.

We haven't but i think were happy due to staying up and having a decent cup run

As for signings: only players i would sign who have being on loan are;

Borini, KI, Alonso and Vergini - might be a long shot to buy Borini but he has to think.. will he get in the Liverpool team?

We have quite alot of players out of contract, hopefully some of the players can tie down deals

As for Newcastle, i hope Mike Ashley goes, he needs to spend cash

(17 Aug 2013, 11:28 am)AdamY I think Swansea will probably finish about 5th or 6th this season and Cardiff will do surprisingly well finishing mid-table. Newcastle will struggle again facing yet another relegation battle but will be strong enough to remain in the top flight. I don't see Sunderland doing much better: making new signings and performing well in pre-season friendlies is one thing but that doesn't necessarily translate to success. Realistically, they'll probably finish above Newcastle but that's not saying much. I think Palace and Hull will be relegated along with Aston Villa. Moyes will continue Fergie's legacy at Man U who are my pick for the title. Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and, of course, Swansea will be in contention for Europe. Those are my predictions anyways.

In reflection, what a load of bollocks!

It's funny to read how wrong my predictions were.

(11 May 2014, 6:08 pm)Michael We have quite alot of players out of contract, hopefully some of the players can tie down deals

Well, as I said a few pages back, the deal taking Jack Colback from Sunderland to Newcastle is allegedly done and dusted - so there's one player Sunderland probably won't be hanging on to.

As for Newcastle, well Remy's definitely gone and it's rumoured that Ben Arfa's going too. Cisse probably needs to go and I'm utterly sick of seeing the amazing Ameobi boys in action - so they can go too. However, I really can't think of anyone decent who'd be prepared to come in and replace them. And, of course, there's always the issue of whether Ashley will be prepared to spend next season. If he doesn't, then I'll say it again, I predict a relegation battle for the Toon in 2014-15 - except this time, I don't expect them to survive it!

Re: RE: football - MrFozz - 11 May 2014

(11 May 2014, 5:23 pm)AdamY Are we counting York as a North Eastern team though?

If so, do we count Leeds and Hull as one could argue that they lie in the North East? Especially, if we define 'North East' in terms of old BR Regions; teams covered (or whose league positions are highlighted in bold) by the Sunday Sun; or the entire scope of what was once the Kingdom of Northumbria.

I said York because I am sure the Sunday Sun include them when they hand out there fixture lists every year

RE: football - Andreos1 - 12 May 2014

Final Premier League positions and final Premier League positions if only goals by Englishmen counted.

Re: RE: football - MrFozz - 13 May 2014

(12 May 2014, 4:01 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Final Premier League positions and final Premier League positions if only goals by Englishmen counted.

So on English Goals Sunderland would have just missed out on the Europa League and Newcastle and Citeh would have went down

RE: football - MurdnunoC - 13 May 2014

(11 May 2014, 8:12 pm)marxistafozzski I said York because I am sure the Sunday Sun include them when they hand out there fixture lists every year

Indeed. However, the fixture list for Leeds was also included in the Sunday Sun. Admittedly, I haven't read the paper for a good 10-15 years so I don't know whether the fixture list for Leeds is still included, but I had a quick look at the microfilm archive kept in Newcastle Central Library yesterday and the edition published on 11th August 1996 does include Leeds. Scarborough were also included.

If we are using football coverage in the Sunday Sun as the basis of our definition of the North East then Leeds must also be included. But would you consider either Leeds or York to be in the North East? Personally, I wouldn't - they're both in Yorkshire. But if they are, then we must consider cities like Hullm and perhaps even Bradford, to be in the North East too.

Re: RE: football - MrFozz - 13 May 2014

(13 May 2014, 7:53 am)AdamY Indeed. However, the fixture list for Leeds was also included in the Sunday Sun. Admittedly, I haven't read the paper for a good 10-15 years so I don't know whether the fixture list for Leeds is still included, but I had a quick look at the microfilm archive kept in Newcastle Central Library yesterday and the edition published on 11th August 1996 does include Leeds. Scarborough were also included.

If we are using football coverage in the Sunday Sun as the basis of our definition of the North East then Leeds must also be included. But would you consider either Leeds or York to be in the North East? Personally, I wouldn't - they're both in Yorkshire. But if they are, then we must consider cities like Hullm and perhaps even Bradford, to be in the North East too.

I see where you going mate, when were talking about defining regions, York and Hull would be borderline North East Leeds, Halifax and Bradford would be borderline North West...

Cumbrian teams apart(Carlisle is normally included in the Sunday Sun), if a team has played in the Northern League, then I count it as North East...

If we are defining regions

North East is Tweed to Humber
North West is Carlisle to Liverpool
Midlands start around Sheffield/Rotherham/Barnsley
South West starts around Didcot
London and South East starts somewhere between Watford and Birmingham...

RE: football - Andreos1 - 13 May 2014

(13 May 2014, 7:53 am)AdamY Indeed. However, the fixture list for Leeds was also included in the Sunday Sun. Admittedly, I haven't read the paper for a good 10-15 years so I don't know whether the fixture list for Leeds is still included, but I had a quick look at the microfilm archive kept in Newcastle Central Library yesterday and the edition published on 11th August 1996 does include Leeds. Scarborough were also included.

Pretty sure the Sunday Sun also include/included Carlisle, just like the Journal does.
Whereas the Chronicle doesn't cover much beyond Tyne & Wear.

The circulation area of the evening paper is much more localised. http://www.trinity-mirror-north-east.co.uk/products/sunday-sun.aspx, http://www.trinity-mirror-north-east.co.uk/products/evening-chronicle.aspx and http://www.trinity-mirror-north-east.co.uk/products/the-journal.aspx.

Hence why the other teams were included Wink

RE: football - MrFozz - 13 May 2014

The Sunday Sun have also at times highlighted Queen of the South and Gretna and possibly Annan Athletic

RE: football - MurdnunoC - 13 May 2014

(13 May 2014, 8:15 am)marxistafozzski The Sunday Sun have also at times highlighted Queen of the South and Gretna and possibly Annan Athletic

I remember Queen of the South receiving coverage in the Sunday Sun so I'd imagine Gretna and Annan Athletic would also be covered as they are both east of Dumfries.

Moving away from football, it can, at times, be difficult to define the geographical scope of the North East. Like you, I would consider Carlisle to be in the North West, yet for some reason it is often lumbered in with the North East. When writing my Masters dissertation, what defines the North East was a question I had to consider and explain. As my subject involved railways, I used the Settle-Carlisle line as a boundary; the Waverley Line as far as St Boswells and the Berwickshire Railway to Berwick; and also the Malton to Scarborough line and York to Harrogate/Leeds lines. So even that definition included both York and Carlisle - much to my disdain. However, if I'd used BR's North Eastern Region to define the North East - places like Doncaster, Halifax, Huddersfield, Hull and Grimsby would have been included too!

RE: football - MrFozz - 13 May 2014

Anyone looking forward to the World Cup, does anyone actually give a toss...

I aint getting myself too excited, but looking forward to watching Holland and Spain