North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1251)

RE: Go North East - Latest - citaro5284 - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 4:04 pm)CatsFast101 Services are bad enough round Stanley way without losing the depot as there been no presence at the end if the routes.

But you will have a presence near the Newcastle end of the route. I cannot see the point if Riverside is able to fit the Newcastle routes in, they do not move them in, bearing in mind the 43/44/45/46 all past the front doors.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 4:17 pm)citaro5284 But you will have a presence near the Newcastle end of the route. I cannot see the point if Riverside is able to fit the Newcastle routes in, they do not move them in, bearing in mind the 43/44/45/46 all past the front doors.

Imagine a ''Red Kite'' on the ''LOOP'' hehe Tongue

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 4:08 pm)Adam Malarkey Man you guys must be mind readers or something, as on Friday when out on my Bike I think found great spot for a New Depot for Chester le Street/Washington, But I forgot to Mention it due to being tired etc, Then I seen Daniels Photos at Riverside and jogged my Memory, In the attachment below I have outlined where the New Site would be along with the 2 Current Depots in which it will replace.

Now Although on the Attachment it may not look all that Big for a New Bus Depot to be situated, but when riding past it on Friday it is quite a Big Plot of Land, Plus it is in a Very Handy spot at the Bottom of the Motorway would allow for quick and easy access for Services operating in the Washington Area, which can either go up the Motorway or Alternatively through Picktree Village for example if the M2/M3 are Starting at Birtley/Ayton on a Morning etc.

That site is completely unsuitable for an industrial unit. There's no access for a start. Two buses can barely get past each other on Picktree lane, never mind trying to swing one in and out of a junction. I doubt anything of the such would ever get approved for that plot of land or the one just north of it, as it would likely face fierce opposition from the residential builds.

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 19 Jan 2014

Drum Industrial Estate would probably be my preferred site for a new depot.

Easy access to Chester and up to Ouston as well as a straightforward route into Washington.

The only problem would be where to do driver changeovers, you can't have buses parked up on Durham Road waiting for someone to come down

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 19 Jan 2014

Is there any chance at all of the Cobalt Clipper geminis o be out this week?

(19 Jan 2014, 4:44 pm)Tom Is there any chance at all of the Cobalt Clipper geminis o be out this week?

Looking at the pictures Dan took of the depot, I'd say it's a bit optimistic. I'm speculating they'll be out the week commencing 27th though. Smile

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 4:31 pm)aureolin That site is completely unsuitable for an industrial unit. There's no access for a start. Two buses can barely get past each other on Picktree lane, never mind trying to swing one in and out of a junction. I doubt anything of the such would ever get approved for that plot of land or the one just north of it, as it would likely face fierce opposition from the residential builds.

On the Main Road itself there is 2 Access Points onto that bit of land, to be honest that road is a Deathtrap for Cyclists like myself, far to narrow but on the flipside the road could always be widened to Accomodate Buses coming in and out of the Depot, also with a Reduced Speed Limit also, I also thought that an access point from the Rear of the Site on the Slip Road coming off the A1 from Washington could also be put into place to ease Congestion on the Main Road. Other than Drum I can't think of anywhere else GNE could possibly move the Chester le Street and Washington Operations to, Although there is that huge plot of land on the Opposite side of the A1 accross the Road from Birtley Industrial Estate where Kingsleys are Based, and that alone more than likely treble the size of the Plot of Land I had Originally Suggested.

RE: Go North East - Latest - G-CPTN - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 4:31 pm)aureolin That site is completely unsuitable for an industrial unit. There's no access for a start. Two buses can barely get past each other on Picktree lane, never mind trying to swing one in and out of a junction. I doubt anything of the such would ever get approved for that plot of land or the one just north of it, as it would likely face fierce opposition from the residential builds.

Plenty of room on the site to create a splayed entrance/exit, and if access was restricted to being from the south it would avoid the residential areas at Picktree. Access from the north would be via the A1M then exit @ junction 63 to Picktree lane.

(19 Jan 2014, 4:46 pm)Adam Malarkey On the Main Road itself there is 2 Access Points onto that bit of land, to be honest that road is a Deathtrap for Cyclists like myself, far to narrow but on the flipside the road could always be widened to Accomodate Buses coming in and out of the Depot, also with a Reduced Speed Limit also, I also thought that an access point from the Rear of the Site on the Slip Road coming off the A1 from Washington could also be put into place to ease Congestion on the Main Road. Other than Drum I can't think of anywhere else GNE could possibly move the Chester le Street and Washington Operations to, Although there is that huge plot of land on the Opposite side of the A1 accross the Road from Birtley Industrial Estate where Kingsleys are Based, and that alone more than likely treble the size of the Plot of Land I had Originally Suggested.

There's not a lot of scope for the road to be widened. Other side of the road is the boundary wall for the Lambton Estate, which without checking, I'm pretty sure will be Grade II listed at least.

(19 Jan 2014, 4:46 pm)Adam Malarkey Although there is that huge plot of land on the Opposite side of the A1 accross the Road from Birtley Industrial Estate where Kingsleys are Based, and that alone more than likely treble the size of the Plot of Land I had Originally Suggested.

A few years ago Eddie Stobart looked at that site for a layover for their vehicles. They were advised the application would be refused due to the nearby position of Lord Lawson school and HGV's using Birtley Lane.

I'd assume GNE would suffer the same refusal if they applied

RE: Go North East - Latest - G-CPTN - 19 Jan 2014

Hexham, on the other hand is a totally different kettle of fish.
Hexham depot.
With the uncertainty surrounding Hexham bus station and the unsuitability of the proposed sites (if any!) it would probably have to be somewhere like the unoccupied nuclear bunker site between Tesco and the railway on Alemouth Road, although I would imagine that will be reserved for retail development, which leaves the old Fewsters site just off the A69 at Rotary Way - currently occupied for container storage units and solar panels.

That is, if GNE elect to keep a depot at Hexham (though, without it it would restrict the possibility of calling up replacement vehicles when services are delayed).

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 4:46 pm)Adam Malarkey On the Main Road itself there is 2 Access Points onto that bit of land, to be honest that road is a Deathtrap for Cyclists like myself, far to narrow but on the flipside the road could always be widened to Accomodate Buses coming in and out of the Depot, also with a Reduced Speed Limit also, I also thought that an access point from the Rear of the Site on the Slip Road coming off the A1 from Washington could also be put into place to ease Congestion on the Main Road. Other than Drum I can't think of anywhere else GNE could possibly move the Chester le Street and Washington Operations to, Although there is that huge plot of land on the Opposite side of the A1 accross the Road from Birtley Industrial Estate where Kingsleys are Based, and that alone more than likely treble the size of the Plot of Land I had Originally Suggested.

That land at Picktree is owned by Lord Lambton, who is known to be keen on exploring avenues in creating a cash pile - but getting permission to build an industrial site on greenbelt land, will never happen.

(19 Jan 2014, 5:19 pm)andreos1 That land at Picktree is owned by Lord Lambton, who is known to be keen on exploring avenues in creating a cash pile - but getting permission to build an industrial site on greenbelt land, will never happen.

BRING BACK LAMBTON LION PARK Big GrinBig Grin

RE: Go North East - Latest - northtynelinks2 - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 4:04 pm)CatsFast101 Services are bad enough round Stanley way without losing the depot as there been no presence at the end if the routes.

Don't take this personally but I disagree. Not every depot is perfect and does have its rare allocations but if you look at Stanley compared to other depots, you will find a lot less branded buses on the wrong routes and more northern buses out replacing branded buses which is good management. Most of the time Olympians are only ever used on services on Weekends and School Holidays. Probably because its a weekend and a lot of people are off work so it will help manage the capacity and more appropriately to get all of the Branded buses in and checked over since this is the only time they really have as the Deckers are used during School Terms.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 4:55 pm)gtomlinson A few years ago Eddie Stobart looked at that site for a layover for their vehicles. They were advised the application would be refused due to the nearby position of Lord Lawson school and HGV's using Birtley Lane.

I'd assume GNE would suffer the same refusal if they applied

I don't think Lord Lawson School would have any affect on a New Depot on Birtley Lane as the School is situated 2 Minutes away from Birtley High Street in the Centre of Birtley, As for Eddie Stobart if all they were going use the site for was for layovers, then I can see why it got knocked back, when you have Washington Services just across the other side of the A1. I can't really see a Problem in GNE using this Plot of Land for a Potential Depot.

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 5:23 pm)northtynelinks2 Don't take this personally but I disagree. Not every depot is perfect and does have its rare allocations but if you look at Stanley compared to other depots, you will find a lot less branded buses on the wrong routes and more northern buses out replacing branded buses which is good management. Most of the time Olympians are only ever used on services on Weekends and School Holidays. Probably because its a weekend and a lot of people are off work so it will help manage the capacity and more appropriately to get all of the Branded buses in and checked over since this is the only time they really have as the Deckers are used during School Terms.

Well I hope you don't think I'm having a dig either but it's just a quick look over the GNE Facebook page to find complaints down to reliability of X30/X31/X70/X71 and sometimes 43/44 too. It's the nature of the beast with those long distance service though and it's not down to Stanley deopt at all, it's primarily the terrible reliability of the vehicles at Stanley. I understand measures are in place to replace buses that run late at Consett and Stnaley bus stations, something that wouldn't be possible if Stanley depot was to shut. I do agree with odd allocations it's not often to see branded buses off route, excluding Venture Solo's mind you! However is there only four brands (including Venutre) based at Stanley so there less chance of it happening.

That's why you look at depots who are decent for odd allocations across GNE? Stanley, Washington, Winlaton whereas Deptford, Gateshead aren't so good. Why? Smaller depot size with a few brands attached to them, that's another reason as to why I'm dubious of super depots they are good ideas in principle however when it comes to a 'key part of Go North East's business model' (branding) super depots seem to rubbish this with an unmanageable about of brands asccociated with them, leading to more odd allocations.

(19 Jan 2014, 5:38 pm)Adam Malarkey I don't think Lord Lawson School would have any affect on a New Depot on Birtley Lane as the School is situated 2 Minutes away from Birtley High Street in the Centre of Birtley, As for Eddie Stobart if all they were going use the site for was for layovers, then I can see why it got knocked back, when you have Washington Services just across the other side of the A1. I can't really see a Problem in GNE using this Plot of Land for a Potential Depot.

Yes but your not having potentially around a hundred vehicles using Birtley Lane daily which is the issue. Gateshead as a Council have a fairly aggressive policy when it comes to road safety and schools. You can't even look in the direction of a school without them shooting at you

Portmeads Road isn't really suitable either for the increase in traffic, the X25 struggles with the parked cars

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 5:54 pm)gtomlinson Yes but your not having potentially around a hundred vehicles using Birtley Lane daily which is the issue. Gateshead as a Council have a fairly aggressive policy when it comes to road safety and schools. You can't even look in the direction of a school without them shooting at you

Portmeads Road isn't really suitable either for the increase in traffic, the X25 struggles with the parked cars

The Traffic Commissioners could stipulate specific routes in and around the depot, which could aid the Stobart case.

As for the Lion park - yeah, bring it back!
There are some cracking photos on the Memories of Washington group on facebook.

RE: Go North East - Latest - peter - 19 Jan 2014

Is the Handy Drive/Riverside site entirely taken up or is there room for an extension to replace depots such as Saltmeadows or Hexham or even room to take on newcastle serving Stanley services in the future?

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 7:52 pm)peter Is the Handy Drive/Riverside site entirely taken up or is there room for an extension to replace depots such as Saltmeadows or Hexham or even room to take on newcastle serving Stanley services in the future?

It was discussed that the capacity for riverside for 150 buses, but I'm sure I read 170 somewhere assuming it's somewhere in between there as there will be 156 buses at riverside once Winlaton & Sunderland Road move in there could be some potential for a few services however the 43/44/45/46 have 23 vehicles which may be too much but I'm not entirely sure.

Stanley don't hold that many services really, Red Kite, Lime, Diamond, X30/X31/X70/X71, 15/15A and that's about it, however should Stanley be considered for closing (this is totally hypothetically speaking) the scholar service would end up with a lot of running light from Chester or wherever, it is possibly a key reason why the depot is retained.