North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1258)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 8:16 pm)Tom Is there any point in running the 1 to Wrekenton, instead of just having the 24?

It causes delays, and very few passengers use it from Newcastle.

How many runs have you seen departing Wrekenton late? Nine minutes layover at Wrekenton is quite a lot... It also has seven minutes at Whitley Bay, which, again, is quite a lot of layover time (in comparison to other routes, both operated by Go North East and other operators in the North East).

The delays are usually caused by something mid-route, rather than due to the extension to Wrekenton.

(08 Aug 2014, 8:20 pm)NEBCD Malarkey I would argue otherwise, as I have used the 1 on Several Occasions from Gateshead to my Dads near Low Fell, and loadings have been decent when I been on it, Majority of the time I otherwise use the 21. But I can see the point you are making in regards to Reliability of the Service etc.

I have seen loadings on Waverley Road in Harlow Green, and they have been quite impressive. Although most of the passengers have been concessionary pass holders, they are the ones who requested the direct link through to Newcastle.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 8:21 pm)Dan How many runs have you seen departing Wrekenton late? Nine minutes layover at Wrekenton is quite a lot... It also has seven minutes at Whitley Bay, which, again, is quite a lot of layover time (in comparison to other routes, both operated by Go North East and other operators in the North East).

The delays are usually caused by something mid-route, rather than due to the extension to Wrekenton.

I have seen loadings on Waverley Road in Harlow Green, and they have been quite impressive. Although most of the passengers have been concessionary pass holders, they are the ones who requested the direct link through to Newcastle.

Today it was two minutes late arriving into Gateshead, then seven minutes late by the time it got to Rosehill.

I saw the one heading in the other direction and it had about five passengers when arriving into Gateshead.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 8:25 pm)Tom Today it was two minutes late arriving into Gateshead, then seven minutes late by the time it got to Rosehill.

I saw the one heading in the other direction and it had about five passengers when arriving into Gateshead.

Any of the bus drivers on this forum will tell you that 29 minutes into a run is more than enough time to rack up a delay...
I highly doubt it left Wrekenton late, as it's very rare that it does.

(08 Aug 2014, 8:29 pm)Dan Any of the bus drivers on this forum will tell you that 29 minutes into a run is more than enough time to rack up a delay...
I highly doubt it left Wrekenton late, as it's very rare that it does.

And it gets a five minutes waiting time in Gateshead - so that's seven minutes late along Durham Road.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 8:32 pm)Tom And it gets a five minutes waiting time in Gateshead - so that's seven minutes late along Durham Road.

Is it any wonder they have so many breaks on the 1, I wouldn't want continuously Drive for 112 Minutes from Whitley Bay to Wrekenton and then have to do almost the same amount to North Shields, before changing Drivers. Must be a pretty grueling shift to do on there.

(08 Aug 2014, 8:45 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Is it any wonder they have so many breaks on the 1, I wouldn't want continuously Drive for 112 Minutes from Whitley Bay to Wrekenton and then have to do almost the same amount to North Shields, before changing Drivers. Must be a pretty grueling shift to do on there.

Believe me it's one of the most boring routes ever.
I'd much rather be on the 17 or 19. I just feel sorry for the drivers stuck on the NTL and Coaster rota, some of the most boring routes ever. Imagine circling Hadrian Park and Wallsend for three hours, if not more, then back to North Shields on a 80?

RE: Go North East - Latest - citaro5284 - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 8:45 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Is it any wonder they have so many breaks on the 1, I wouldn't want continuously Drive for 112 Minutes from Whitley Bay to Wrekenton and then have to do almost the same amount to North Shields, before changing Drivers. Must be a pretty grueling shift to do on there.

Drivers can drive up to 5:30 hours, so I think most drivers class 1 route just as same as the others to be honest which is I am getting paid for sitting here.

(08 Aug 2014, 8:49 pm)Tom Believe me it's one of the most boring routes ever.

How do you quantify a boring route for a driver?

RE: Go North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 8:49 pm)Tom Believe me it's one of the most boring routes ever.
I'd much rather be on the 17 or 19. I just feel sorry for the drivers stuck on the NTL and Coaster rota, some of the most boring routes ever. Imagine circling Hadrian Park and Wallsend for three hours, if not more, then back to North Shields on a 80?

Q1 and X66 must be the worst! Tongue

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adam - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 8:20 pm)NEBCD Malarkey I would argue otherwise, as I have used the 1 on Several Occasions from Gateshead to my Dads near Low Fell, and loadings have been decent when I been on it, Majority of the time I otherwise use the 21. But I can see the point you are making in regards to Reliability of the Service etc.

(08 Aug 2014, 8:21 pm)Dan I have seen loadings on Waverley Road in Harlow Green, and they have been quite impressive. Although most of the passengers have been concessionary pass holders, they are the ones who requested the direct link through to Newcastle.

Completely agree with you both. I sometimes get the 1 from Wrekenton down to Low Fell and it's always fairly busy whenever I've used it. Saw one going along Low Fell heading to Whitley Bay at lunchtime today and it was full, standing room only.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 8:54 pm)BJ10VUS Q1 and X66 must be the worst! Tongue

The old X3 interworking with Scholars though, has to be the worst alongside the 27X, I would hate to carry nothing but fresh air for 3 to 4 Hours.

(08 Aug 2014, 8:53 pm)citaro5284 How do you quantify a boring route for a driver?

Well there is traffic lights all over so you can't get a decent speed anywhere for a start. Well it's boring for me as a passenger but I agree with the fact it's different for a non-enthusiast.

definitely!

(08 Aug 2014, 8:54 pm)Adam Completely agree with you both. I sometimes get the 1 from Wrekenton down to Low Fell and it's always fairly busy whenever I've used it. Saw one going along Low Fell heading to Whitley Bay at lunchtime today and it was full, standing room only.

Must have just been the times I've saw it then! I still think more people use it from Gateshead than Newcastle though. It's definitely the busiest between Newcastle and North Shields though, as North Shields to Whitley Bay is quite quiet also.

Yet there is a waiting list for X66, so cannot be that boring. I think the X66 is different as it is busy.

Re: RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 08 Aug 2014

I'd imagine the X66 to be quite fun actually. It is quite a tight schedule, and if anything happens along the route, you're not gonna do it in 10 minutes.

So many times I've seen drivers look at traffic ahead in Dunston and swing off to go on the 49 route and then via the 10 route... Last minute decisions in hope of getting back on time. Some will enjoy the challenge.

If you've got a driver who is at the Centrelink turn off (towards Gateshead) five minutes into the journey, you're onto a winner.

(08 Aug 2014, 9:02 pm)citaro5284 Yet there is a waiting list for X66, so cannot be that boring. I think the X66 is different as it is busy.

I suppose it's personal preference. I'd find driving between Gateshead and the Metrocentre again and again pretty boring, but I suppose that on the flip side, you're usually always guaranteed to be busy.

I tell you what - I'm going to do a whole run on the 1 sometime from Whitley Bay to Wrekenton. I was planning on doing the same for the 17 and 19 too.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 9:08 pm)BJ10VUS I suppose it's personal preference. I'd find driving between Gateshead and the Metrocentre again and again pretty boring, but I suppose that on the flip side, you're usually always guaranteed to be busy.

I agree. Like the Q1, it's a repetitive task. How many loops do they do before a break? Got to be about 12/15? I'd find it as tedious as it gets... If I had a preference, I'd probably want to do something like the X1/56/21/20.

RE: Go North East - Latest - busman101 - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 1:10 pm)gtom Anyone know the logic of renumbering the 937 out of Team Valley as X22?

Are they taking my route the X22 via Retail World idea? haha

Yes - the aim is to add an extra X22 journey from Metrocentre and merge it with the 937 from Team Valley & sadly, your Retail World idea didn't quite make it unfortunately.

(08 Aug 2014, 9:11 pm)aureolin I agree. Like the Q1, it's a repetitive task. How many loops do they do before a break? Got to be about 12/15? I'd find it as tedious as it gets... If I had a preference, I'd probably want to do something like the X1/56/21/20.

The Q1's got to be irritating. If you miss all the lights, you've got to lose a good 5-7 minutes, if not more, by Dean Street. Plus, with the tight timings, it's not ideal. Once they're at Gateshead/Central Station, it's time to leave.

(08 Aug 2014, 9:16 pm)busman101 Yes - the aim is to add an extra X22 journey from Metrocentre and merge it with the 937 from Team Valley & sadly, your Retail World idea didn't quite make it unfortunately.

I'd imagine it could boost passenger numbers though!
I was so impressed with passenger numbers on Saturday nevertheless, must have made £30+ to Birtley!