North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1258)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 3:41 pm)Dan I guess it's worth noting that buses are starting to gain white "go!" stickers on their ETMs, which instructs passengers to place their smartcards where it is located.

This means that the trial without external card readers has seemingly been successful, and all buses in the fleet will now lose their external card readers.

Yes noticed this on 5264 today - but they still can't but their passes in the right place.

RE: Go North East - Latest - L469 YVK - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 3:47 pm)Tom Yes noticed this on 5264 today - but they still can't but their passes in the right place.

They should keep the readers as people are forced to hold their pass when scanning it. The process that ANE use on the TGX200 with the CT passes takes ages as holders can simply put their pass on the ETM and leave it lying there thus taking longer.

RE: Go North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 4:53 pm)DaveyBowyer They should keep the readers as people are forced to hold their pass when scanning it. The process that ANE use on the TGX200 with the CT passes takes ages as holders can simply put their pass on the ETM and leave it lying there thus taking longer.

You get a hell of a lot less rejects with the TGX200's though compared to the ERG's. I've used both and thats one advantage of the TGX200's for me! Not many others admittedly...

RE: Go North East - Latest - Greg_in_Weardale - 30 Aug 2014

It's lunatic to have invested in the external card readers and then dispense with them. They are much quicker and easier to use.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 6:06 pm)Greg_in_Weardale It's lunatic to have invested in the external card readers and then dispense with them. They are much quicker and easier to use.

But a great deal of customer confusion is caused when the external readers aren't working.

Removing the external readers should mean that, as the ETM does not have to communicate with the external card reader, these problems no longer exist.

Absolute waste of money. Will increase boarding times and they'll have to modify the driver's protection screen so passes can actually be placed on the machine reader.

They've only had them four years! No wonder they have to cut services if they waste money like this. How many thousands of pounds have these external readers cost?

RE: Go North East - Latest - S813 FVK - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 6:12 pm)Greg_in_Weardale Absolute waste of money. Will increase boarding times and they'll have to modify the driver's protection screen so passes can actually be placed on the machine reader.

They already have had that done as the ticket machine needs to be exposed for that reason just incase the external reader isnt working.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Greg in Weardale - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 6:20 pm)Robert They already have had that done as the ticket machine needs to be exposed for that reason just incase the external reader isnt working.

No, it's very difficult to put passes on the machine reader on some GNE buses when the external reader isn't working. The only gap is the space to take a ticket and there's very little room to put the pass/key card on top.

RE: Go North East - Latest - citaro5284 - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 6:16 pm)Greg_in_Weardale They've only had them four years! No wonder they have to cut services if they waste money like this. How many thousands of pounds have these external readers cost?

The readers have proved to be unreliable so the decision has been made to withdraw them. The amount of times the communication fails between the ETM and the reader is pretty high.

There is no point continuing with them if they are failing. The easy option is to remove them so the passes are put on top of the ETM, like the majority of other bus companies up and down the country, and have there dwell times increased?

Go North East - Latest - R852 PRG - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 6:27 pm)citaro5284 The readers have proved to be unreliable so the decision has been made to withdraw them. The amount of times the communication fails between the ETM and the reader is pretty high.

There is no point continuing with them if they are failing. The easy option is to remove them so the passes are put on top of the ETM, like the majority of other bus companies up and down the country, and have there dwell times increased?

Agreed - I think the record for how many times the external reader has failed for my Key Card was five times. Dodgy

(30 Aug 2014, 6:29 pm)Marcus Agreed - I think the record for how many times the external reader has failed for my Key Card was five times. Dodgy

You've counted how many times the external reader has failed?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 6:27 pm)citaro5284 The readers have proved to be unreliable so the decision has been made to withdraw them. The amount of times the communication fails between the ETM and the reader is pretty high.

Will the removal of the machines impact on the taxpayer money GNE received in order to purchase/install them initially?

RE: Go North East - Latest - S813 FVK - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 6:27 pm)Greg in Weardale No, it's very difficult to put passes on the machine reader on some GNE buses when the external reader isn't working. The only gap is the space to take a ticket and there's very little room to put the pass/key card on top.

Well all of the Stanley vehicles i have been on have clearly had a modification done to be able to place the cards on the reader. Plenty of space aswell. Must lack this across the fleet.

(30 Aug 2014, 6:31 pm)Tom You've counted how many times the external reader has failed?

It's kind of hard to forget a driver glaring at you and all the old folk twisting on, isn't it?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 6:27 pm)Greg in Weardale No, it's very difficult to put passes on the machine reader on some GNE buses when the external reader isn't working. The only gap is the space to take a ticket and there's very little room to put the pass/key card on top.

The majority of the cabs of vehicles in the North Division have already been modified. A number of the vehicles in the fleet already had these cut-outs when they were new (this applies to the Citaros new in 2010 onwards, and possibly a few others buses too).

(30 Aug 2014, 6:38 pm)Marcus It's kind of hard to forget a driver glaring at you and all the old folk twisting on, isn't it?

I've had plenty glare at me in a bad manor - divint count 'em though Wink

(30 Aug 2014, 6:39 pm)Tom I've had plenty glare at me in a bad manor - divint count 'em though Wink

I had one slap his thigh in annoyance when I stuttered the destination.

RE: Go North East - Latest - citaro5284 - 30 Aug 2014

(30 Aug 2014, 6:33 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Will the removal of the machines impact on the taxpayer money GNE received in order to purchase/install them initially?

How much taxpayers money did GNE get for the readers alone?

(30 Aug 2014, 6:40 pm)Marcus I had one slap his thigh in annoyance when I stuttered the destination.

That's a bit bad like - did you complain?