North East Buses
Arriva North East: Rare & Odd Workings - May 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Rare & Odd Workings - May 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1327)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Arriva North East - Rare and Odd Workings - tyresmoke - 17 May 2014

(17 May 2014, 6:45 pm)robisdave 4718 has been a replacement for a B7 on service X93 today? Seemingly the B7 was required for the high loadings on the 81/81a.

Think they were just trying to throw anything on to keep the service going, much like we have been doing on the 5, with Cadet 1908 covering a trip and Centro 1924 pinched from 17As to go on 5s too (was replaced with the less 5-able 1915...).
All caused by the A171 being closed near Charltons village, and temporary lights in Skelton Ellers was causing chaos with all of the traffic being routed that way. Took some of our guys an hour to get from Guisborough to Skelton! All gone by the time I went on them at 1300 (using the bus off the 1200...)

Edit: 4659 did it's party piece again by being withdrawn because of gearbox overheating again, this time at Laurence Jackson. Not sure what replaced it, a Pulsar I think (eventually).

RE: Arriva North East - Rare and Odd Workings - robisdave - 17 May 2014

Understandable given the circumstances but decidedly not happy about the smoking carry on. No one to complain to and these drivers know that!

RE: Arriva North East - Rare and Odd Workings - Roland Pratt - 18 May 2014

(17 May 2014, 8:47 pm)robisdave Understandable given the circumstances but decidedly not happy about the smoking carry on. No one to complain to and these drivers know that!

Smoking carry on?

(18 May 2014, 7:57 am)Roland Pratt Smoking carry on?

I've just seen it on the other thread! M'bro bus station you get some drivers who walk accross the bus station roundabout to stand having a fag at the entrance. Ridiculous really. Don't know why they can't stand next to the bus and do it. Same with trying to stop passengers smoking outside the doors. Never used to be a problem.

RE: Arriva North East - Rare and Odd Workings - robisdave - 18 May 2014

It is illegal to smoke on any part of Middlesbrough bus station therefore standing next to their buses remains so. Likewise smoking in the cabs of the buses. It is illegal to smoke while driving and who wants to get on a bus, passenger or driver, that reeks of smoke and is covered in ash !

RE: Arriva North East - Rare and Odd Workings - Adrian - 18 May 2014

(18 May 2014, 8:45 am)robisdave It is illegal to smoke on any part of Middlesbrough bus station therefore standing next to their buses remains so. Likewise smoking in the cabs of the buses. It is illegal to smoke while driving and who wants to get on a bus, passenger or driver, that reeks of smoke and is covered in ash !

As it is in Gateshead Interchange, and the sheltered entrance to Durham. The problem is that it's up to the councils to enforce, and to issue FPNs, but councils are that short of staff nowadays that they can't spare the resource to do so.

(18 May 2014, 8:45 am)robisdave It is illegal to smoke on any part of Middlesbrough bus station therefore standing next to their buses remains so. Likewise smoking in the cabs of the buses. It is illegal to smoke while driving and who wants to get on a bus, passenger or driver, that reeks of smoke and is covered in ash !

It never was illegal to smoke in un-covered parts of the bus station. If it's not covered on three sides then its not the law its just council bureaucracy. I'm just waiting for the hoo haa when a driver is knocked down having to walk across the roundabout and ramp to have a fag.

I might add I'm not and never have been a smoker myself but am against the persecution of smokers including the smoking ban.

If a driver is "knocked down" in following this course of action then clearly he is not being mindful of his responsibilities while on the operational part of the bus station of equally so for those of his colleagues. Personally speaking I would have liked last night's driver disciplined/suspended for his actions. Maybe then, without some of these lax attitudes we might just address a few of the issues that blight our services.

(18 May 2014, 9:05 am)robisdave If a driver is "knocked down" in following this course of action then clearly he is not being mindful of his responsibilities while on the operational part of the bus station of equally so for those of his colleagues. Personally speaking I would have liked last night's driver disciplined/suspended for his actions. Maybe then, without some of these lax attitudes we might just address a few of the issues that blight our services.

I certainly wouldn't condone anyone for running late thanks to having a cigarette break.

We've exhausted that argument! Well done to the Stockton and Whitby lads for keeping things going during the A171 closure yesterday. I see the Facebook muppets were out in force berating the fact that there were no buses here there and everywhere. Just got the one thing to say, apart from what I think about Facebook, if they think they can do better than these guys (and gals) then ring for an application pack or keep quiet!

RE: Arriva North East - Rare and Odd Workings - tyresmoke - 18 May 2014

(18 May 2014, 10:18 am)robisdave We've exhausted that argument! Well done to the Stockton and Whitby lads for keeping things going during the A171 closure yesterday. I see the Facebook muppets were out in force berating the fact that there were no buses here there and everywhere. Just got the one thing to say, apart from what I think about Facebook, if they think they can do better than these guys (and gals) then ring for an application pack or keep quiet!

Yes when I went out on the 5A at 1300, I passed two 5/5A at North Ormesby then the next ones I passed were 3 of them (2 5As and a 5) running back together at Skelton Ellers... Quite a big gap there!

As I said Scott, just how do you get around a situation like that. I didn't know what had gone on until I got back and was maybe a little harsh on finding 4718 on my X93 trip. Not sure though if this was down to the incident or crappy allocation from Redcar? If they've sent a vehicle across to Whitby specifically to help them out then well done, otherwise I'll reserve my judgements until we get into peak season.

RE: Arriva North East - Rare and Odd Workings - Kuyoyo - 19 May 2014

Either 1923 or 1924 has done a Crew Bus run this morning.

RE: Arriva North East - Rare and Odd Workings - tyresmoke - 19 May 2014

(19 May 2014, 8:38 am)Kuyoyo Either 1923 or 1924 has done a Crew Bus run this morning.

1923 as 1924 is on 5s ... Joy!

4659 on 29/29a

RE: Arriva North East - Rare and Odd Workings - robisdave15 - 19 May 2014

Just seen it darting through Guisnorough.

RE: Arriva North East - Rare and Odd Workings - tyresmoke - 19 May 2014

(19 May 2014, 8:59 am)robisdave15 Just seen it darting through Guisnorough.

Running late? I had it on 17s the other morning and now on 5s later...!

RE: Arriva North East - Rare and Odd Workings - robisdave15 - 19 May 2014

Might change it over... for a Prestige!

RE: Arriva North East - Rare and Odd Workings - Kuyoyo - 19 May 2014

(19 May 2014, 8:54 am)tyresmoke 1923 as 1924 is on 5s ... Joy!

Been replaced by FJ63KKN now anyway, after just 2 Middlesbrough runs and a Stockton.

RE: Arriva North East - Rare and Odd Workings - JoshP - 19 May 2014

X1 Branded Pulsar 14xx on the 2 & 11 interworking today.

Since the 12 is now full EcoCity board, I guess a Pulsar will now be a permanent allocation on the 2 & 11? Usually it's a Dart but that's uncommon now.

RE: Arriva North East - Rare and Odd Workings - Jimmi - 19 May 2014

(19 May 2014, 5:47 pm)JoshP X1 Branded Pulsar 14xx on the 2 & 11 interworking today.

Since the 12 is now full EcoCity board, I guess a Pulsar will now be a permanent allocation on the 2 & 11? Usually it's a Dart but that's uncommon now.

There was an X1 example on either the 5/5A too.