North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 (/showthread.php?tid=1557)

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - S813 FVK - 04 Aug 2015

4989 is another vehicle which carries a rear advert for South Tyneside College: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dansnortheastbusphotos/20106004449/in/photostream/

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - Andreos1 - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 4:25 pm)aureolin I'll always support the use of focus groups. Proper ones mind, not just the odd email to a distribution group. I just think that NSAs is one of those topics that you'll never reach a happy medium with.

I'm a fan of the latest NSA implementations, as the chatter has been removed. Informative, the volume is spot on IMO, and I'm even a fan of those doing the voice-overs. 

The Red Arrows and angel ones however, make me switch off. I get sick and tired of hearing the "Please ring the bell and remain seated until your bus has stopped" every time the next stop changes, but I guess if there's statistics that show it's reduced accidents, then it's worthwhile it being there? I've not seen any numbers by the way! :Smile

We know the operators are a fan of sampling Angel, so a cross section of members of the public, being questioned - can only be a good thing.
They don't have to be enthusiasts corrupting the data either!

I think a happy medium can be found and whilst I agree that you can't please everyone, a uniform system, that has a common theme AND method of display, can only be a good thing.

Obviously I was talking generically (so that I could stay well away from any allegations of anti-GNE bias), I prefer the more recent voiceovers (yet to sample Alan Robson), the screens on the Gemini's are a clear winner over the 'doctors announcement' display seen on the 78 or the corrupted display on the Gold Merc, which was displaying Custard Sauce (Chester le Street) last time I rode the 36.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - R852 PRG - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 6:45 pm)Andreos1 We know the operators are a fan of sampling Angel, so a cross section of members of the public, being questioned - can only be a good thing.

I think a happy medium can be found and whilst I agree that you can't please everyone, a uniform system, that has a common theme AND method of display, can only be a good thing.

Obviously I was talking generically (so that I could stay well away from any allegations of anti-GNE bias), I prefer the more recent voiceovers (yet to sample Alan Robson), the screens on the Gemini's are a clear winner over the 'doctors announcement' display seen on the 78 or the corrupted display on the Gold Merc, which was displaying Custard Sauce (Chester le Street) last time I rode the 36.

You've made my day. Tongue

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - Jimmi - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 6:45 pm)Andreos1 We know the operators are a fan of sampling Angel, so a cross section of members of the public, being questioned - can only be a good thing.

I must have a better doctors surgery than you as mine has TV screens!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - omnicity4659 - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 6:52 pm)Jimmi I must have a better doctors surgery than you as mine has TV screens!

Mine has Scania OmniCity ding-dongs and a telly screen that dribbles on about smoking then DING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - Jimmi - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 6:57 pm)GX03 SVC Mine has Scania OmniCity ding-dongs and a telly screen that dribbles on about smoking then DING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It isn't showing the Life Channel by any chance is it? My has that and often seems to be showing Tony Blair when I'm in, thankfully not very often!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - Dan - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 6:45 pm)Andreos1 Obviously I was talking generically (so that I could stay well away from any allegations of anti-GNE bias), I prefer the more recent voiceovers (yet to sample Alan Robson), the screens on the Gemini's are a clear winner over the 'doctors announcement' display seen on the 78 or the corrupted display on the Gold Merc, which was displaying Custard Sauce (Chester le Street) last time I rode the 36.

Gold Merc 5327 had that display as a trial. It hasn't been used for a number of years, so has been removed.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - BJ10VUS - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 7:07 pm)Dan Gold Merc 5327 had that display as a trial. It hasn't been used for a number of years, so has been removed.

Did they ever work properly? I think this was one of the ones that worked the X3, but if not, the one that used to work the X3 only ever showed "X3 Sunderland" or "X3 Newcastle" on both lines.

(04 Aug 2015, 7:35 pm)BJ10VUS Did they ever work properly? I think this was one of the ones that worked the X3, but if not, the one that used to work the X3 only ever showed "X3 Sunderland" or "X3 Newcastle" on both lines.

I believe there was messages linked to the bell push - please remain seated and all that mumbo-jumbo. It was never removed after the trial (bit like 5390's front destination), and wasn't functional other than the "BUS STOPPING" message and an attempt at showing the service number and terminus.

Think the trial took place prior to 2011 (which is when this vehicle was re-allocated to Deptford for service X3 from Washington, following the entry into service of the Volvo B9TLs on the X1).

I reckon you just fancied bringing the X3 up really, and you weren't particularly bothered about getting an answer to your question! Poor Greg in Weardale was having withdrawal symptoms - it hasn't been mentioned for so long!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - BJ10VUS - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 7:37 pm)Dan I believe there was messages linked to the bell push - please remain seated and all that mumbo-jumbo. It was never removed after the trial (bit like 5390's front destination), and wasn't functional other than the "BUS STOPPING" message and an attempt at showing the service number and terminus.

Think the trial took place prior to 2011 (which is when this vehicle was re-allocated to Deptford for service X3 from Washington, following the entry into service of the Volvo B9TLs on the X1).

I reckon you just fancied bringing the X3 up really, and you weren't particularly bothered about getting an answer to your question! Poor Greg in Weardale was having withdrawal symptoms - it hasn't been mentioned for so long!

Thanks for clearing that up, and I'd like to thoroughly apologise for mentioning the service in question. I promise I won't form an opinion about the "Red Arrows" branding being applied over some of the windows either!  Tongue

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - R852 PRG - 04 Aug 2015

The good old X3... What a service! Newcastle to Sunderland express every 30 minutes. Now you've got the X36 every hour. If I remember correctly, the X3 was a dolly mixture service but Renowns were regulars on there. Shame it got axed. I'm sure it would have been ideal for a friend of mine to commute to Gateshead every morning, rather than use the Metro. Big Grin

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - Adrian - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 7:50 pm)R852 PRG The good old X3... What a service! Newcastle to Sunderland express every 30 minutes. Now you've got the X36 every hour. If I remember correctly, the X3 was a dolly mixture service but Renowns were regulars on there. Shame it got axed.

There was also the X3 Newcastle to Houghton, via a place beginning with 'F'. Wink

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - BusLoverMum - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 6:45 pm)Andreos1 the Gold Merc, which was displaying Custard Sauce (Chester le Street) last time I rode the 36.

A little parrot sitting on my shoulder is in fits of giggles at that. Big Grin

(04 Aug 2015, 7:50 pm)R852 PRG The good old X3... What a service! Newcastle to Sunderland express every 30 minutes. Now you've got the X36 every hour. If I remember correctly, the X3 was a dolly mixture service but Renowns were regulars on there. Shame it got axed. I'm sure it would have ideal for a friend of mine to commute to Gateshead every morning, rather than use the Metro. Big Grin

Yae just tryna wind Greg in Weardale up now!

Service X3 lost the Mercs and was downgraded (sorry - I know you'll think it's the opposite way round) to Volvo B10BLE operation, with 5325-5327 being re-allocated to "Silver Arrows" 2A/2C, which was upgraded to a combined 10-minute frequency, opposed to the previous 15-minute frequency. The X3 went through various forms after this, but it ultimately led to its demise.

(04 Aug 2015, 7:51 pm)aureolin There was also the X3 Newcastle to Houghton, via a place beginning with 'F'. Wink

I'm not sure it served Fatfield? Tongue

(04 Aug 2015, 7:54 pm)Dan Yae just tryna wind Greg in Weardale up now!

Service X3 lost the Mercs and was downgraded (sorry - I know you'll think it's the opposite way round) to Volvo B10BLE operation, with 5325-5327 being re-allocated to "Silver Arrows" 2A/2C, which was upgraded to a combined 10-minute frequency, opposed to the previous 15-minute frequency. The X3 went through various forms after this, but it ultimately led to its demise.

It's unfortunate that such a fantastic service had to go the journey (pun intended). 

BIB: you disgust me.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - Malarkey - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 7:58 pm)BJ10VUS I'm not sure it served Fatfield? Tongue

Served Concord & Heworth iirc, that was an X4 alongside that at the time which terminated at Ryhope or Seaham, one of the two did anyway but I cant remember which.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - Davie - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 8:03 pm)Malarkey Served Concord & Heworth iirc, that was an X4 alongside that at the time which terminated at Ryhope or Seaham, one of the two did anyway but I cant remember which.

Seaham https://flic.kr/p/nFky4Y

(04 Aug 2015, 8:03 pm)Malarkey Served Concord & Heworth iirc, that was an X4 alongside that at the time which terminated at Ryhope or Seaham, one of the two did anyway but I cant remember which.

Yeah, you're right!

According to the October 2007 timetable, both services operated via Heworth, Concord, Washington Galleries, Shiney Row, Bournmoor, Fence Houses and Houghton-le-Spring. After Houghton-le-Spring, the X3 continued to Ryhope Village via Doxford International, Moorside, Silksworth; and the X4 continued to Seaham via Seaton and New Seaham.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015 - Malarkey - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 8:09 pm)BJ10VUS Yeah, you're right!

According to the October 2007 timetable, both services operated via Heworth, Concord, Washington Galleries, Shiney Row, Bournmoor, Fence Houses and Houghton-le-Spring. After Houghton-le-Spring, the X3 continued to Ryhope Village via Doxford International, Moorside, Silksworth; and the X4 continued to Seaham via Seaton and New Seaham.

Tell you what I have a cracking memory of these services mind, baring in mind that I would been the age of some of the younger enthusiasts on the forum at the time, im 22 and probably of a lot more knowledge of the past GNE Services than some of the Members who are a lot older than I am, goes to show how much attention/interest I payed to Buses when I was younger, just wish I started taking photos a lot sooner as I really liked some of the Branding when they first started to be rolled out.