North East Buses
What's annoying you today? V4 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: What's annoying you today? V4 (/showthread.php?tid=1628)

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Jimmi - 27 May 2016

(27 May 2016, 6:53 pm)South Tyne Lad Sounds good, Though for me the pain is getting from South Tyneside up to Middlesbrough or Stockton ( No buses to Darlington from Durham till 9:45 )

Though all seems to be well as I've just managed to persuade my Dad to give me a lift to Middlesbrough on the Morning, Which just about solves it.

My plan is quite varied and will be tiring!

Saturday : No exact route, Will be based around Chester-Le-Street and Stanley, Though if everything's caught in time I might catch Weardale's 764 from Consett to Tow Law and connect onto a X1 or 46.
Sunday : Rest Day
Monday : Dalesbus, No set route yet though I'm currently planning where to go.
Tuesday : Transdev's " Little Explorers " MPDs which also means another trip to Yorkshire.
Wednesday : Spirit Buses Service 406 to Swarland.
Thursday : Nothing planned yet
and nothing else planned yet for the next few days after that.

Might be subject to change and also extra things to be added in.

Ah nice, enjoy.

Weardale's 764 is a great route, but I'm sorry to tell you it doesn't run on Saturday's. I've done Tow Law - Consett twice on the 764, got this photo whilst I waited for it the last time in Tow Law: https://flic.kr/p/FBhZqC

I am also on a trip round Yorkshire on Tuesday to get a photo and ride on one of Transdev's "Little Explorers" MPDs plus a number of other things. This is my plan:
0900 72 Northallerton (0952)
1015 70 Ripon Bus Station (1115)
1200 22 Knaresborough (1252)
1312 X1 Harrogate Bus Station (1345)
1355 X70 Wetherby (1415)
1458 770 Harrogate (1531)
1620 36 Ripon Bus Station (1658)
1735 70 Northallerton (1835)
1857 VTEC Darlington (1908)
1945 5A Newton Aycliffe

Tomorrow I will be down on Teesside and East Cleveland getting some photos and rides on the buses, unsure where exactly I will end up, hoping to catch 4512, so if anyone sees it, let me know

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - BusLoverMum - 27 May 2016

(27 May 2016, 7:05 pm)Jimmi Ah nice, enjoy.

Weardale's 764 is a great route, but I'm sorry to tell you it doesn't run on Saturday's. I've done Tow Law - Consett twice on the 764, got this photo whilst I waited for it the last time in Tow Law: https://flic.kr/p/FBhZqC

I am also on a trip round Yorkshire on Tuesday to get a photo and ride on one of Transdev's "Little Explorers" MPDs plus a number of other things. This is my plan:
1355 X70 Wetherby (1415)
1945 5A Newton Aycliffe

Tomorrow I will be down on Teesside and East Cleveland getting some photos and rides on the buses, unsure where exactly I will end up, hoping to catch 4512, so if anyone sees it, let me know
Wow! That's quite a long day!

Big'un would love to do some of that (he's around the Northallerton area every day, anyhow!) but school holiday weekdays are limited by having littl'un with us. I tried to work out a short route for a Saturday, a while back and ended up with a frustrated headache due to the inconsistency of online timetables. Will have to try again, in time for the summer.

Something has annoyed big'un, today. He's been very short tempered and has drawn pages and pages of street lights. His original obsession. He only draws them when he's stressed, these days. Hopefully, it's just the transition into half term that's bothering him. And hayfever. That always sucks.

We're avoiding the Cleveland area, tomorrow. We passed through, last week, anyhow, but there's an air display, this weekend, expecting to draw big crowds. Not sure how those crowds are going to travel, but it might makes some services very busy.

Bg'un's getting his heair cut, at 10am, so we'll probably head north via CLS/Stanley after that.

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - James101 - 27 May 2016

Not annoying as such but we don't have a 'couldn't figure it out for ages' thread.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/mjstransportpics/26607928914

First's 53155 appeared at the POPS Running Day in Stoke on Sunday sporting the display 'The Optare Pheonix'. What is the Optare Pheonix I've been pondering? An experimental model? A working title for the Solo before production?

Well today I found out 53155 suffered an engine fire had has been extensively repaired and has only just got back out on the road. The depot seemingly have nicknamed it 'The Optare Pheonix' - geddit??!

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - South Tyne Lad - 28 May 2016

(27 May 2016, 7:05 pm)Jimmi Ah nice, enjoy.

1355 X70 Wetherby (1415)
1945 5A Newton Aycliffe

Ah well! Its fine now anyways, I'm heading to Haltwhistle and Carlisle today, With a quick stop in Birdoswald to get a photo of the Tynedale Links Solo there while it layovers.
Don't know whether to get the AD122 or the 681/X81 back to Hexham as both are due around the same time.

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - South Tyne Lad - 28 May 2016

Major disruption in Hexham today, Everything is at a standstill.

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - BusLoverMum - 28 May 2016

(28 May 2016, 10:42 am)South Tyne Lad Major disruption in Hexham today, Everything is at a standstill.

It doesn't take much!

Annoyed at having to explain to yet another driver how explorer tickets work. SNE, this time.

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Rapidsnap - 28 May 2016

Getting sick of seeing stuff about the referendum all over facebook. Wish there was a filter to block it.

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Rapidsnap - 29 May 2016

And now my internet has gone off. Grrrrr

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Andreos1 - 29 May 2016

The google ads which have appeared on the site.

Edit: No idea what happened to the word order there like!

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - NK53 TKT - 29 May 2016

(29 May 2016, 7:54 am)Andreos1 ads which have appeared on the site.The google

Yeah very annoying on my iPad because I don't use tapatalk

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - MurdnunoC - 29 May 2016

None appearing for me. The layout has changed though.

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Dan - 29 May 2016

Sadly; Liam and I still had to contribute a significant proportion of the payment towards site hosting recently, when we renewed it.

Having Google Ads on the site means that we won't have to do this again in three years time - the site will more or less pay for itself (what we have to chip in will be minimal), and we still remain as a not-for-profit website. In short: it secures the site for future years to come.

You can still bypass the ads by installing AdBlock Plus - there are extensions available for desktop browsers and apps which achieve the same on most smartphones. They're primarily in place for guest viewers.

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - NK53 TKT - 29 May 2016

(29 May 2016, 8:13 am)Dan Sadly; Liam and I still had to contribute a significant proportion of the payment towards site hosting recently, when we renewed it.

Having Google Ads on the site means that we won't have to do this again in three years time - the site will more or less pay for itself (what we have to chip in will be minimal), and we still remain as a not-for-profit website. In short: it secures the site for future years to come.

You can still bypass the ads by installing AdBlock Plus - there are extensions available for desktop browsers and apps which achieve the same on most smartphones. They're primarily in place for guest viewers.

Ah, I understand now
EDIT: Installed adblock plus

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Adrian - 29 May 2016

...of course, if you feel that you're able to ignore the single non-intrusive ad at the top of the page, please feel free to add NEB to your exclusions list for AdBlock.

As Dan has said, it helps to ensure that the site pays for itself.

(29 May 2016, 10:15 am)Adrian ...of course, if you feel that you're able to ignore the single non-intrusive ad at the top of the page, please feel free to add NEB to your exclusions list for AdBlock.

As Dan has said, it helps to ensure that the site pays for itself.

It can't be that un-intrusive. How many people have mentioned it apart from myself? The fact you have to scroll past whatever add is flashing about, is enough to say that it isn't.

I totally get why the decision has been made to have AdWords on the site (just like every other site the world over that has it), however adblock was invented for a reason.
Unfortunately my WP can't block ads. My android and apple devices have it installed, just as my laptop does.

(29 May 2016, 12:25 pm)Andreos1 It can't be that un-intrusive. How many people have mentioned it apart from myself? The fact you have to scroll past whatever add is flashing about, is enough to say that it isn't.

I totally get why the decision has been made to have AdWords on the site (just like every other site the world over that has it), however adblock was invented for a reason.
Unfortunately my WP can't block ads. My android and apple devices have it installed, just as my laptop does.

But you have to scroll past how many adverts on your way up or down an escalator...? Haymarket has them in between the escalators, on the walls along side, and on the screens above.

It was always foreseen that people would mention it, but I believe it's more a case that it's because people haven't seen anything like that on NEB before? Compared to most websites, it's far from being intrusive, in my opinion.

I appreciate that AdBlock was invented for a reason, and I myself use it, but I've simply added NEB and a few other sites I use as an exception. I see it as something I can put up with, if it being there means that it contributes towards a website I use frequently and value.

(29 May 2016, 12:44 pm)Adrian But you have to scroll past how many adverts on your way up or down an escalator...? Haymarket has them in between the escalators, on the walls along side, and on the screens above.

It was always foreseen that people would mention it, but I believe it's more a case that it's because people haven't seen anything like that on NEB before? Compared to most websites, it's far from being intrusive, in my opinion.

I appreciate that AdBlock was invented for a reason, and I myself use it, but I've simply added NEB and a few other sites I use as an exception. I see it as something I can put up with, if it being there means that it contributes towards a website I use frequently and value.

Are those adverts at Haymarket decent, quality, unobtrusive ads, that appeal to a portion of those using the facility (if they aren't blind to the adverts) - or are they spammy adverts suggesting I apply for a modelling job, buy a hoverboard or click to see which 4 friends have unfriended me (100% guaranteed apparently).

(29 May 2016, 12:50 pm)Andreos1 Are those adverts at Haymarket decent, quality, unobtrusive ads, that appeal to a portion of those using the facility (if they aren't blind to the adverts) - or are they spammy adverts suggesting I apply for a modelling job, buy a hoverboard or click to see which 4 friends have unfriended me (100% guaranteed apparently).

You may want to read about how Adsense/Adwords works. It's only serving you content that you've previously shown interest in, through your Google account or your browsing habits...

Mine shows this at present, because it's something I was only looking at the last week or so:

.png
nebads.PNG
Size 97.18 KB / Downloads 12

So yes, to answer the question. The unobtrusive (targeted) ads on this page are more relevant to me than what I'd see at Haymarket Metro station for example. I've absolutely no interest in what the latest panto or show is, or who is playing at the Metro Radio arena.

(29 May 2016, 12:56 pm)Adrian You may want to read about how Adsense/Adwords works. It's only serving you content that you've previously shown interest in, through your Google account or your browsing habits...

Mine shows this at present, because it's something I was only looking at the last week or so:

So yes, to answer the question. The unobtrusive (targeted) ads on this page are more relevant to me than what I'd see at Haymarket Metro station for example. I've absolutely no interest in what the latest panto or show is, or who is playing at the Metro Radio arena.

That's the thing. I have never searched or shown any interest in the things advertised to me. Including luxury holidays to Bali. I don't need a free giffgaff sim either...

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Dan - 29 May 2016

(29 May 2016, 12:56 pm)Adrian You may want to read about how Adsense/Adwords works. It's only serving you content that you've previously shown interest in, through your Google account or your browsing habits...

I've had advertisements for Argos, eBay and House of Fraser - I've visited all three of those websites recently to buy things.

Google Ads clearly working as it should do for me!