North East Buses
Gateshead Central Taxis - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Other Operators (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+---- Forum: Tyne & Wear Independents (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: Gateshead Central Taxis (/showthread.php?tid=175)

RE: Thomastransport - Dan - 31 Oct 2020

(31 Oct 2020, 5:30 pm)ThomasSpare Using My photos agian??

Something for you to be happy about - we're providing a link to your photos on Flickr, which in turn means your photos are viewed and appreciated by more enthusiasts.

RE: Thomastransport - ThomasBooth123 - 31 Oct 2020

(31 Oct 2020, 6:20 pm)Dan Something for you to be happy about - we're providing a link to your photos on Flickr, which in turn means your photos are viewed and appreciated by more enthusiasts.
I honestly don’t mind shame emjoys don’t work on here when I was told by driver I know that they were on south Tyne I knew I had to photo them

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Economic505 - 02 Nov 2020

Still a Micky mouse operator. Nexus must be desperate to award them contracts.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Big O - 03 Nov 2020

(02 Nov 2020, 10:21 pm)Economic505 Still a Micky mouse operator. Nexus must be desperate to award them contracts.

Shows the lack of ambition that Nexus have towards Buses in Newcastle. Not sure why Stanley Travel and A-line who are actually decent, cannot pick up more work. It shouldn't always be about cost because a bread van will always be cheaper than a Solo.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - OrangeArrow49 - 03 Nov 2020

(03 Nov 2020, 9:56 pm)Big O Shows the lack of ambition that Nexus have towards Buses in Newcastle. Not sure why Stanley Travel and A-line who are actually decent, cannot pick up more work. It shouldn't always be about cost because a bread van will always be cheaper than a Solo.

Nexus are morons! Go North East should operate all of the bus services in the North East!

Stanley Travel were decent on the 84A I used to use, Gateshead Central Taxis...need I say more?
A-line seem decent, but haven't used them yet.

GCT operate all of their services badly! Well, apart from the 516 in South Shields (other than when they first stole it from GNE and the Streetlite didn;t have a working front destination!).

The bread vans are not too bad. Phoenix have one for the 808/15. Is the 32A going to be operated with Enviros on a Sunday again, or permanently back to bread vans?  Gutted I missed the Enviros on the 32A!

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Adrian - 03 Nov 2020

(03 Nov 2020, 10:07 pm)OrangeArrow49 Nexus are morons! Go North East should operate all of the bus services in the North East!

Stanley Travel were decent on the 84A I used to use, Gateshead Central Taxis...need I say more?

GCT operate all of their services badly! Well, apart from the 516 in South Shields (other than when they first stole it from GNE and the Streetlite didn;t have a working front destination!).

The bread vans are not too bad. Phoenix have one for the 808/15. Is the 32A going to be operated with Enviros on a Sunday again, or permanently back to bread vans?  Gutted I missed the Enviros on the 32A!

That would result in nothing but even less value for money for customers. The North East is already too much of a monopoly for three principle operators.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - OrangeArrow49 - 04 Nov 2020

(03 Nov 2020, 10:14 pm)Adrian That would result in nothing but even less value for money for customers. The North East is already too much of a monopoly for three principle operators.

Go North East is amazing value for money, and they are my favourite operator.

1 bus operator means one ticket (unless needing a Metro). Simply ticket structure, one comprehensive network.

Definitely GCT should go. Weardale should too. A-line, Stanley Travel and Phoenix are good operators.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - MurdnunoC - 04 Nov 2020

(04 Nov 2020, 1:21 am)OrangeArrow49 Go North East is amazing value for money, and they are my favourite operator.

1 bus operator means one ticket (unless needing a Metro). Simply ticket structure, one comprehensive network.

Definitely GCT should go. Weardale should too. A-line, Stanley Travel and Phoenix are good operators.

One bus operator also means they can charge the customer anything they want. Look at the difference in prices where GNE holds a monopoly (Derwentside/Tyne Valley) and where they don't (Coast Road/North Tyneside) to see how competition (or the lack thereof) affects fares.

Don't be so blinkered.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - idiot - 04 Nov 2020

Sorry but I'm completely against your idea. If you live in an area with no competition it's ridiculously expensive.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Storx - 04 Nov 2020

(03 Nov 2020, 10:07 pm)OrangeArrow49 Nexus are morons! Go North East should operate all of the bus services in the North East!

I disagree on GoNorthEast should run all the bus services by Nexus as it just gives them an excuse to give up more services on the Evenings and Sundays. They've already done enough already yet other operators can run similar routes commercially.

Also what's wrong with Weardale they're quite a good little operator imo especially over Bishop / Weardale way.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - OrangeArrow49 - 04 Nov 2020

(04 Nov 2020, 7:13 pm)Storx I disagree on GoNorthEast should run all the bus services by Nexus as it just gives them an excuse to give up more services on the Evenings and Sundays. They've already done enough already yet other operators can run similar routes commercially.

Also what's wrong with Weardale they're quite a good little operator imo especially over Bishop / Weardale way.

Go North East has always been my favourite operator! Nexus services could be operated by Stanley Travel/A-line/Phoenix but for ticket acceptance it's best if a major operator run them, or ticket acceptance be in place on smaller operators. 

Competition is dead. Someone on here said recently (streetdeckfan?) they refuse to use Stagecoach (I use them reluctantly and refuse to use Arriva!). In the West End, Stagecoach is the most frequent, but expensive and restrictive in destinations, and I prefer GNE.  GNE operate the most places in the North East, so offer the best value. Yes, they are more expensive in GNE-only territory, but competition is dead, buried and not coming back. Stagecoach only run locally for the most part, Arriva is mostly rural, neither would be missed.  

Never used Weardale, but their buses are really old!

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Adrian - 04 Nov 2020

(04 Nov 2020, 8:39 pm)OrangeArrow49 Go North East has always been my favourite operator! Nexus services could be operated by Stanley Travel/A-line/Phoenix but for ticket acceptance it's best if a major operator run them, or ticket acceptance be in place on smaller operators. 

Competition is dead. Someone on here said recently (streetdeckfan?) they refuse to use Stagecoach (I use them reluctantly and refuse to use Arriva!). In the West End, Stagecoach is the most frequent, but expensive and restrictive in destinations, and I prefer GNE.  GNE operate the most places in the North East, so offer the best value. Yes, they are more expensive in GNE-only territory, but competition is dead, buried and not coming back. Stagecoach only run locally for the most part, Arriva is mostly rural, neither would be missed.  

Never used Weardale, but their buses are really old!

The majority of the region has no choice to what operator they use, because there is very little in the way of competition outside of City Centres and key corridors. Derwentside for example, you have no choice but to use Go North East, so they can charge whatever they want. Where I live in Durham has the same problem - we have a GNE bus a couple of times on a Sunday, but its a 100% Arriva monopoly outside of that - and they do charge what they want, for a pretty appalling service.

When buses were deregulated by Maggie Thatcher, the idea was that competition will lead to the best results. The reality is that we've seen very little in the way of competition - just one huge turf war. Buses are ran for profit, not for those using them.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - streetdeckfan - 05 Nov 2020

(04 Nov 2020, 10:09 pm)Adrian The majority of the region has no choice to what operator they use, because there is very little in the way of competition outside of City Centres and key corridors. Derwentside for example, you have no choice but to use Go North East, so they can charge whatever they want. Where I live in Durham has the same problem - we have a GNE bus a couple of times on a Sunday, but its a 100% Arriva monopoly outside of that - and they do charge what they want, for a pretty appalling service.

When buses were deregulated by Maggie Thatcher, the idea was that competition will lead to the best results. The reality is that we've seen very little in the way of competition - just one huge turf war. Buses are ran for profit, not for those using them.

The issue is it's basically impossible to have 'full competition'. If every operator operated in every area, there wouldn't be enough passengers to go around.

I also think having buses being nationalised is a horrific idea. All it does is give the monopoly to the government rather than a private company. Then it'll go from it being all about profit, to it costing as little as possible to run. At least when you're doing it for profit, there's an incentive to improve the service. When you're running something as a 'public service', it just has to fulfil the bare minimum of being able to move people around, anything beyond that is a waste.
Just look how much nicer the buses are up here compared to likes of London!

I live in Bishop, so it's mainly Arriva with GNE just running the X21, and I honestly don't have an issue with that. My main issue with the public transport here is the lack of multi-operator tickets, compared to T&W (which could be argued is down to the lack of competition), but there's also the fact that there is such a hard border between the 'territories'.

For example If I want to travel from Bear Park to Langley Park, a distance of about 3 miles, I'd have to buy both an Arriva and GNE ticket, or a Network One Explorer at £10.90 for the day, but have to go via Durham so the journey would take an hour instead of the 7 minutes in the car
But in Tyne and Wear, you can travel from Seaton Burn to Easington Lane, a distance of around 24 miles, using both GNE and Arriva for only £7.80 using a Network One Day Rover ticket.

If I could get a reasonably priced ticket to use on both GNE and Arriva down here, I'd be all over it. It'd mean I wouldn't have to plan things to make sure that when I get an Arriva ticket, I'm visiting all the places that are Arriva only in that one day.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Storx - 05 Nov 2020

(05 Nov 2020, 1:00 am)streetdeckfan The issue is it's basically impossible to have 'full competition'. If every operator operated in every area, there wouldn't be enough passengers to go around.

I also think having buses being nationalised is a horrific idea. All it does is give the monopoly to the government rather than a private company. Then it'll go from it being all about profit, to it costing as little as possible to run. At least when you're doing it for profit, there's an incentive to improve the service. When you're running something as a 'public service', it just has to fulfil the bare minimum of being able to move people around, anything beyond that is a waste.

I live in Bishop, so it's mainly Arriva with GNE just running the X21, and I honestly don't have an issue with that. My main issue with the public transport here is the lack of multi-operator tickets, compared to T&W (which could be argued is down to the lack of competition), but there's also the fact that there is such a hard border between the 'territories'.

For example If I want to travel from Bear Park to Langley Park, a distance of about 3 miles, I'd have to buy both an Arriva and GNE ticket, or a Network One Explorer at £10.90 for the day, but have to go via Durham so the journey would take an hour instead of the 7 minutes in the car
But in Tyne and Wear, you can travel from Seaton Burn to Easington Lane, a distance of around 24 miles, using both GNE and Arriva for only £7.80 using a Network One Day Rover ticket.

If I could get a reasonably priced ticket to use on both GNE and Arriva down here, I'd be all over it. It'd mean I wouldn't have to plan things to make sure that when I get an Arriva ticket, I'm visiting all the places that are Arriva only in that one day.

You need to look into bus companies ran by governments more than that. Dublin Bus and Lothian are 2 companies you should be comparing to not London Buses which is franchised which is something different again. I'd rather than money went back into the governments hands than some big wig in an office somewhere. Technically one of the 3 bus companies is the North East is ran by the government anyway just the shame it's the German one and not ours. You don't have to have it ran by the government directly as a public service. LNER and Northern Trains are an example of public ran transport and they're both better than the private companies than ran it before there which surprisingly are 2 of the big 4 in the UK not to mention the bombshell with Thameslink Southern (GoAhead). To be fair though so is the Metro with Nexus so it all comes down who's running the show in a similar sense with private companies.

To be fair though I can't imagine there being much difference for the passenger who runs it with the same problems, we may have a few more evening and Sunday services though but that'll be about it and again it comes to runs it, if it's someone like Lothian then it could be good. If it's Nexus then I'm sure GCT will run the 21 and 308 well...

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Chris 1 - 05 Nov 2020

(05 Nov 2020, 1:00 am)streetdeckfan I also think having buses being nationalised is a horrific idea. All it does is give the monopoly to the government rather than a private company. Then it'll go from it being all about profit, to it costing as little as possible to run. At least when you're doing it for profit, there's an incentive to improve the service. When you're running something as a 'public service', it just has to fulfil the bare minimum of being able to move people around, anything beyond that is a waste.

Whilst 'profit' isn't a dirty word, the pursuit of it also encourages cost cutting (maybe even corner cutting, since we're on the Gateshead Central thread....).  'Public Service' doesn't necessarily have to be the bare minimum at all.  I wouldn't class the services and facilities on offer at my local hospital, for example, as being the 'bare minimum'.  In regards to London, yes it comes at a cost but I'm sure Londoners are happier with their network ticketing and coverage as opposed to laminate flooring and disco lights.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - streetdeckfan - 05 Nov 2020

(05 Nov 2020, 12:06 pm)Storx You need to look into bus companies ran by governments more than that. Dublin Bus and Lothian are 2 companies you should be comparing to not London Buses which is franchised which is something different again. I'd rather than money went back into the governments hands than some big wig in an office somewhere. Technically one of the 3 bus companies is the North East is ran by the government anyway just the shame it's the German one and not ours. You don't have to have it ran by the government directly as a public service. LNER and Northern Trains are an example of public ran transport and they're both better than the private companies than ran it before there which surprisingly are 2 of the big 4 in the UK not to mention the bombshell with Thameslink Southern (GoAhead). To be fair though so is the Metro with Nexus so it all comes down who's running the show in a similar sense with private companies.

To be fair though I can't imagine there being much difference for the passenger who runs it with the same problems, we may have a few more evening and Sunday services though but that'll be about it and again it comes to runs it, if it's someone like Lothian then it could be good. If it's Nexus then I'm sure GCT will run the 21 and 308 well...

But Lothian still has competition, it may be owned by the LA, but they still have to compete with other operators as if they were running like any other commercial operator. The closest we really have to a government ran public transport network is TFL, they're just choosing to contract out the operations rather than run them in house.

To me, it's not about the owner, but about the system behind it.

Like I said, having all the buses ran by the government just moves the monopoly from a company owned by shareholders to a company owned by the government. At least with privatisation, there's an opportunity for competition, even if it's not well executed.

One thing I think we can all agree on, is that if NEXUS managed to get their hands on the buses, it'd be a much bigger shitshow than it is now!

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Rob44 - 05 Nov 2020

Lothian Has very limited competition from First bus. It dares ar fantastic and all services including weekend and late evening services as well used.

(05 Nov 2020, 5:06 pm)streetdeckfan But Lothian still has competition, it may be owned by the LA, but they still have to compete with other operators as if they were running like any other commercial operator. The closest we really have to a government ran public transport network is TFL, they're just choosing to contract out the operations rather than run them in house.

Like I said, having all the buses ran by the government just moves the monopoly from a company owned by shareholders to a company owned by the government. At least with privatisation, there's an opportunity for competition, even if it's not well executed.

One thing I think we can all agree on, is that if NEXUS managed to get their hands on the buses, it'd be a much bigger shitshow than it is now!

There's very little competition in Edinburgh especially in the East side of the city, Nottingham and Blackpool are both the same aswell. I know your bringing up the competition up here competition doesn't really bring better buses for the majority of users.

The things you described above such as the mod cons don't exist where there's competition and the 3 operators I've listed above overall provide a much better service across the board compared to the big 3 up here.

Competition isn't a good thing, there's 4 big areas with massive competition around here. Hartlepool, North Tyneside, South Shields and Sunderland. South Shields is by far Stagecoach's weakest area with Hartlepool a very close second. North Tyneside is by far GNE's worst area (everything is subsidised one way or another) with Sunderland not far behind with them pretty much abandoning South Shields (depot closed years ago) and North Tyneside is also arguably Arriva's weakest area aswell.

On the other hand the best 3 areas in terms of service though are for Arriva is SE Northumberland, GNE is Derwentside and Stagecoach is Newcastle's West End. There's one thing in common between all 3, they're all monopolies.

Bus companies are unique in the sense they will always have competition, the difference is there competition is different types of transport rather than other bus companies. If they don't provide a good enough service then the majority of customers will eventually just move to driving. The difference between having a public company running the service is the £500k profit lets say they make (made up) at Percy Main and Jesmond wouldn't be going to some shareholders they'd be invested in running the 19, 41, 42, W1, W2, W3, 319, 335, 359 and so on under the same standards all day and evenings rather than the mess we have now with GCT running them to the ground and that's the biggest problem. Not to mention the fact that the tax payer is paying directly for some shareholders bonuses.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - OrangeArrow49 - 05 Nov 2020

(05 Nov 2020, 6:19 pm)Storx There's very little competition in Edinburgh especially in the East side of the city, Nottingham and Blackpool are both the same aswell. I know your bringing up the competition up here competition doesn't really bring better buses for the majority of users.

The things you described above such as the mod cons don't exist where there's competition and the 3 operators I've listed above overall provide a much better service across the board compared to the big 3 up here.

Competition isn't a good thing, there's 4 big areas with massive competition around here. Hartlepool, North Tyneside, South Shields and Sunderland. South Shields is by far Stagecoach's weakest area with Hartlepool a very close second. North Tyneside is by far GNE's worst area (everything is subsidised one way or another) with Sunderland not far behind with them pretty much abandoning South Shields (depot closed years ago) and North Tyneside is also arguably Arriva's weakest area aswell.

On the other hand the best 3 areas in terms of service though are for Arriva is SE Northumberland, GNE is Derwentside and Stagecoach is Newcastle's West End. There's one thing in common between all 3, they're all monopolies.

Bus companies are unique in the sense they will always have competition, the difference is there competition is different types of transport rather than other bus companies. If they don't provide a good enough service then the majority of customers will eventually just move to driving. The difference between having a public company running the service is the £500k profit lets say they make (made up) at Percy Main and Jesmond wouldn't be going to some shareholders they'd be invested in running the 19, 41, 42, W1, W2, W3, 319, 335, 359 and so on under the same standards all day and evenings rather than the mess we have now with GCT running them to the ground and that's the biggest problem. Not to mention the fact that the tax payer is paying directly for some shareholders bonuses.

The West End of Newcastle overall has more Stagecoach buses than anything else, but it's not a monopoly. Throckley/Denton Burn has Arriva/GNE/Stagecoach/GCT. In Gosforth it's mostly Arriva, with GNE and Stagecoach running less frequently. In Westerhope/Slatyford there is the GNE 74 and in the latter and Fenham there is the GCT 84A (and 84 in Benwell). Kingston Park has the 42A every hour (GNE Mon-Sat, GCT evenings and Sundays). Not a monopoly, just mostly Stagecoach. As someone who lives in the West End, I can absolutely say without hesitation Stagecoach is shit! GNE is by far the best, if less frequent. Saying the West End is a monopoly is rather sweeping!

Derwentside has Weardale, but not a comprehensive network, so is a GNE monopoly.  SE Northumberland is only Arriva, I believe.

Stagecoach has plenty of service in Shields. GNE in North Tyneside is fine, besides the creation of GCT secured journeys.

(05 Nov 2020, 5:06 pm)streetdeckfan But Lothian still has competition, it may be owned by the LA, but they still have to compete with other operators as if they were running like any other commercial operator. The closest we really have to a government ran public transport network is TFL, they're just choosing to contract out the operations rather than run them in house.

Not just a shitshow, a GCT shitshow consisting of a lot of bread vans!

(05 Nov 2020, 8:45 pm)OrangeArrow49 The West End of Newcastle overall has more Stagecoach buses than anything else, but it's not a monopoly. Throckley/Denton Burn has Arriva/GNE/Stagecoach/GCT. In Gosforth it's mostly Arriva, with GNE and Stagecoach running less frequently. In Westerhope/Slatyford there is the GNE 74 and in the latter and Fenham there is the GCT 84A (and 84 in Benwell). Kingston Park has the 42A every hour (GNE Mon-Sat, GCT evenings and Sundays). Not a monopoly, just mostly Stagecoach. As someone who lives in the West End, I can absolutely say without hesitation Stagecoach is shit! GNE is by far the best, if less frequent. Saying the West End is a monopoly is rather sweeping!

Derwentside has Weardale, but not a comprehensive network, so is a GNE monopoly.  SE Northumberland is only Arriva, I believe.

Stagecoach has plenty of service in Shields. GNE in North Tyneside is fine, besides the creation of GCT secured journeys.

I'm sorry but to say that the West End isn't a Monopoly because there's a few express services stopping at a few bus stops and a 2 hourly service running to Hexham via Matfen and small villages is really scraping the barrel not trying to be nasty. West Road, Fenham and Elswick are dominated by Stagecoach in an area which is high car usage, very high population density and there's no alternative at all ie the Metro in other areas. It's the place that everyone wants but no-one would dare go there. Gosforth / Kingston Park are northern Newcastle not the West End.

I never said South Shields etc are 'bad' it's just their weakest areas in terms of both investment and routes. South Shields and Hartlepool's depots have generally been getting edged towards closure for years now such as the E services (the profitable routes) being moved to Sunderland with the X63 and Hartlepool is pretty much an outstation to Stockton nowadays. Percy Main depot has by far the most services which are subsidised one way or another, hasn't had a new bus (which they still have) since 2013 and has had a cut to every service within the last year (1, 309, 310 cut from every 15 mins to 20 mins), (11, 19 no Evening / Sunday services), (40/41, 42 butchered in half or half the route scrapped) and also has the oldest fleet out of all the GNE depots with nothing planned to change that by the sounds of it neither. If that's what competition brings then I'd prefer not to have it.