North East Buses
Gateshead Central Taxis - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Other Operators (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+---- Forum: Tyne & Wear Independents (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: Gateshead Central Taxis (/showthread.php?tid=175)

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Malarkey - 15 May 2021

Noted twice this week the 20:08 19 from Cobalt Business Park to North Shields Ferry on Wednesday and Thursday did not show up as one of my work colleagues normally use this service down to the Ferry to then go over to South Shields as it is quicker than getting the 309 into Newcastle then getting the Metro through which they ended up doing.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - V514DFT - 15 May 2021

GCT just dont care,revoke their bus licence thats what i say,ever since last year i now rely on Stagecoach solely after alot of services were axed round where i live,GCT,shoddy quality,shoddy services, yes the big operators have had buses go up in flames,difference is they were getting on in age,whats GCT's excuse for a 3 year old bus going up in smoke,cus im sorry but it wasnt just 'random chance',if you look at how they run services,it wouldnt surprise me if it was down to bad maintenence

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Micheal Aaron - 15 May 2021

Ever since the NT contract take over last year. Gct seem to have gotten worse (just my opinion)

Gateshead Central Taxis - Dan - 15 May 2021

(15 May 2021, 2:29 pm)Malarkey Noted twice this week the 20:08 19 from Cobalt Business Park to North Shields Ferry on Wednesday and Thursday did not show up as one of my work colleagues normally use this service down to the Ferry to then go over to South Shields as it is quicker than getting the 309 into Newcastle then getting the Metro through which they ended up doing.

Make sure to send a complaint to Nexus Customer Services on behalf of your work colleague.

The only way we will ever see improvements is if customers keep complaining. I suspect Nexus aren’t even aware of the issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(15 May 2021, 3:16 pm)Dan Make sure to send a complaint to Nexus Customer Services on behalf of your work colleague.

The only way we will ever see improvements is if customers keep complaining. I suspect Nexus aren’t even aware of the issues.

I highly doubt nexus  do anything. Considering the amount of complaints they have received that much. If nexus weren't informed when they were taken to court because of vosa then I doubt nexus reporting anything will change. Nexus will still give them contracts and nothing will change

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Andreos1 - 15 May 2021

(15 May 2021, 4:22 pm)Micheal Aaron I highly doubt nexus  do anything. Considering the amount of complaints they have received that much. If nexus weren't informed when they were taken to court because of vosa then I doubt nexus reporting anything will change. Nexus will still give them contracts and nothing will change

They do. 
Made complaints about GCT myself.
Couldn't have asked for a better response or outcome.

Wow. That's blown my mind(Sarcastic) but tbh why do nexus still give them contract if they know there gonna receive complaints I mean tbh they probably don't but who knows

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Andreos1 - 15 May 2021

(15 May 2021, 6:28 pm)Micheal Aaron Wow. That's blown my mind(Sarcastic) but tbh why do nexus still give them contract if they know there gonna receive complaints I mean tbh they probably don't but who knows

They're going to receive complaints about all operators whether it's commercial or otherwise, one of the bigger operators or an independent.

It's just strange how much they have received. They have been up in court yer nexus still give them contract

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Storx - 15 May 2021

(15 May 2021, 7:25 pm)Micheal Aaron It's just strange how much they have received. They have been up in court yer nexus still give them contract

Because Nexus are just as bad (if not worse). The Metro isn't exactly a shining armor in staff relations with strikes every other year now including one in 2019 with drivers refusing to work overtime. Staff morale is rock bottom and has been for years and I've heard that the top management are complete horrors and bullies hence the massive turnover especially with customer service staff and drivers fleeing to TPE etc (wages also another reason).

A lot of people think that nationalisation would fix everything up here but when you see the state of the Metro which is exactly that it's not exactly something you'd really want.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Rapidsnap - 15 May 2021

Hang on the H1 is meant to be Euro 6. Don't think I've seen anything remotely near Euro 6 standard on that route. When I've seen it, it was a V-Reg (hidden by the Northern Ireland plate) Dennis Trident which if they are lucky would be Euro 3 at the most. Think on one other occasion it has been a Streetlite, think they are Euro 5.

Gateshead Central Taxis - Dan - 16 May 2021

(15 May 2021, 11:25 pm)Rapidsnap Hang on the H1 is meant to be Euro 6. Don't think I've seen anything remotely near Euro 6 standard on that route. When I've seen it, it was a V-Reg (hidden by the Northern Ireland plate) Dennis Trident which if they are lucky would be Euro 3 at the most. Think on one other occasion it has been a Streetlite, think they are Euro 5.

Yes, it’s a Euro 6 contract. Minimum capacity of 16.

They were allocating a Euro 2 double-deck to the route when dispensation for contract compliance was given to all operators due to Covid-19 (effectively it allowed operators to upgrade capacity for social distancing at the expense of meeting contract specification). The logic and rationale behind this was sound but the H1 which carries fresh air day in, day out, did not need an upgrade in capacity so it was very much being done to exploit the dispensation.

This dispensation has now finished, and whilst they did continue to allocate a non-compliant vehicle for a further two weeks thereafter, the 19-reg Streetlite they use on this service mainly now is Euro 6 (like GNE’s Daimler-engined examples).

If ever you do see a Euro 5 bus on it, make sure to let everyone know!

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Micheal Aaron - 16 May 2021

Its absolutely stupid. Nexus need to open there eyes

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - idiot - 16 May 2021

On the other side of things there isn't money trees growing outside of Nexus to pay for a higher bid.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Dan - 16 May 2021

(16 May 2021, 9:18 am)idiot On the other side of things there isn't money trees growing outside of Nexus to pay for a higher bid.

No - and nobody is suggesting that there is - but what has been repeated time and time again is that the successful operator of any contract to run bus services should be running the service as it was tendered.

Once a company starts repeatedly not running the contract as it was tendered - be it continued lost mileage, continued running of the wrong route and missing out stops, or otherwise - this means it's no longer a level playing field, and gives that company an unfair advantage on all the other operators who tendered for that service, be it commercial or independent, who submitted their price based on running the service as it was tendered.

We have seen vehicle shortages this week which are reported to be as a result of vandalism in Pennywell on an evening. This isn't Gateshead Central Taxis' fault, but it is their responsibility to have an adequate number of spare vehicles to operate all their services. Most commercial operators have a 12-14% spare vehicle allocation (and this needs to be factored into the cost of any tender that operators submit), and it would be interesting to see how this compares against Gateshead Central Taxis' spare vehicle allocation.

Whilst Nexus might not have a money tree growing outside on St. James' Boulevard, I would think that they still expect that what little money they do have to maintain these 'socially necessary' bus services, going to Gateshead Central Taxis in most cases, to be spent on services which do actually run. It is not acceptable for Gateshead Central Taxis to be paid for services they are not operating.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - streetdeckfan - 16 May 2021

(16 May 2021, 9:33 am)Dan No - and nobody is suggesting that there is - but what has been repeated time and time again is that the successful operator of any contract to run bus services should be running the service as it was tendered.

Once a company starts repeatedly not running the contract as it was tendered - be it continued lost mileage, continued running of the wrong route and missing out stops, or otherwise - this means it's no longer a level playing field, and gives that company an unfair advantage on all the other operators who tendered for that service, be it commercial or independent, who submitted their price based on running the service as it was tendered.

We have seen vehicle shortages this week which are reported to be as a result of vandalism in Pennywell on an evening. This isn't Gateshead Central Taxis' fault, but it is their responsibility to have an adequate number of spare vehicles to operate all their services. Most commercial operators have a 12-14% spare vehicle allocation (and this needs to be factored into the cost of any tender that operators submit), and it would be interesting to see how this compares against Gateshead Central Taxis' spare vehicle allocation.

Whilst Nexus might not have a money tree growing outside on St. James' Boulevard, I would think that they still expect that what little money they do have to maintain these 'socially necessary' bus services, going to Gateshead Central Taxis in most cases, to be spent on services which do actually run. It is not acceptable for Gateshead Central Taxis to be paid for services they are not operating.

It's not just about the cost, it's about the value, GCT may be cheap, but they certainly ain't good value for money.

Surely the goal should be to try and drive up passenger numbers on the contracted route to get it to a point where it doesn't need the financial support, GCT seem to be doing the complete opposite!

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - busmanT - 16 May 2021

(16 May 2021, 10:58 am)streetdeckfan It's not just about the cost, it's about the value, GCT may be cheap, but they certainly ain't good value for money.

Surely the goal should be to try and drive up passenger numbers on the contracted route to get it to a point where it doesn't need the financial support, GCT seem to be doing the complete opposite!
Nexus don't seem at all bothered about increasing passenger numbers on secured services. Indeed, it appears that they have decided that the services will never change, regardless of how few passengers they carry, or how badly they are operated.
The 79A doesn't really make sense, operating evenings only (so nothing in Fencehouses/Park Estate etc. Sunday shopping hours).

GCT operated contracts must be carrying fewer passengers than they did when Go North East or other operators ran them, so although the GCT contract price is cheaper revenue will be less!.

The Traffic Commissioners didn't think GCT were unfit to operate buses as no action taken against their licence.

On the plus side GCT have a very modern fleet (newer than any other operator in Tyne & Wear)!

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - ThomasBooth123 - 16 May 2021

https://flic.kr/p/2kYQvAU YX21 RUO On 79 Today

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - ThomasBooth123 - 16 May 2021

79A Left Easington Lane 10Mintues Ealry

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Ambassador - 16 May 2021

(16 May 2021, 10:58 am)streetdeckfan Surely the goal should be to try and drive up passenger numbers on the contracted route to get it to a point where it doesn't need the financial support, GCT seem to be doing the complete opposite!

Nope. That’s literally the opposite point.

Nexus secured services will never make commercial sense, ever, they are public service requirements. If they made cash or even had the vague possibility of turning a profit, then an operator would be there.