North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 (/showthread.php?tid=1907)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - EL1TE - 15 Dec 2016

There's a Green Arrow solar that has a rear advertisement. 4944?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - dannygee - 15 Dec 2016

Been on 2 indigo north tyne buses today and they still havnt got announcements on. They were the 16 reg ones

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - Ambassador - 16 Dec 2016

(15 Dec 2016, 6:01 pm)Andreos1 Comments on the Go-Ahead Group revising forecasts - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/business/business-news/go-ahead-revises-down-revenue-12326833
The last paragraph is of particular interest, where there is mention of its North Eastern bus division.

Previous years have commented on the road network as a reason behind poor performance. I haven't looked at the GAG Shareholder website to see if there are any additional comments or quotes, relating to the North East.

The piece on the corporate website suggests a decline in passenger numbers in the North East. The awful road network here doesn't help but I personally believe that GNE's changes, awful customer service, inconsistent and unfair prices and some driver attitudes will have people looking at alternatives.

Not forgetting Southern Rail! Big Grin

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - C785 OCN - 16 Dec 2016

Anybody out there know where to get the Indigo East Durham paper timetables from? Tried Durham bus station & the Indigo buses themselves but no luck.

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - jamjam9206 - 16 Dec 2016

What route and time is 9099 on pls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - Ryan99 - 16 Dec 2016

(16 Dec 2016, 6:52 am)C785 OCN Anybody out there know where to get the Indigo East Durham paper timetables from? Tried Durham bus station & the Indigo buses themselves but no luck.

Travel shops have you tried ?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - Andreos1 - 16 Dec 2016

(16 Dec 2016, 12:05 am)Ambassador The piece on the corporate website suggests a decline in passenger numbers in the North East. The awful road network here doesn't help but I personally believe that GNE's changes, awful customer service, inconsistent and unfair prices and some driver attitudes will have people looking at alternatives.

Not forgetting Southern Rail! Big Grin

I cant be the only one who dislikes the hub & spoke model. The shift towards the gradually increasing cross-city type services, would indicate something is changing.

Surveys that are dominated by free bus pass holders, can't be boasted about for ever either.

Changes ahead?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - Michael - 16 Dec 2016

(16 Dec 2016, 9:06 am)Andreos1 I cant be the only one who dislikes the hub & spoke model. The shift towards the gradually increasing cross-city type services, would indicate something is changing.

Surveys that are dominated by free bus pass holders, can't be boasted about for ever either.

Changes ahead?

Most GNE services in Sunderland are cross city (including Stagecoach), rather have a few cross city services though because it's easier travel although could take longer.

Probables see more changes in the new year... hopefully not to North Sunderland Tongue

With Stagecoach changing their services and introducing the X24, be interesting to see what GNE do....
-------------

Last of Sunderland District Omnibus drivers retires

One of the last remaining bus drivers of the old Sunderland District Omnibus (SDO) Company has retired after 43 years of getting Wearside bus passengers from A to B.

Andrew Jackson, 64, from Shiney Row, was 22 when he started driving the distinctive dark blue and white SDO buses at the now defunct Philadelphia bus depot in Washington.

Since the SDO closed, Andrew has worked for Go North East. He says things have changed a lot over the last four decades and the traffic has got a lot busier but he says it doesn’t bother him.

Andrew worked on the pit contracts in the 1970’s and 80’s getting miners to and from Boldon, Wearmouth, Vane Tempest, Dawdon and Seaham (known locally as ‘The Knack’) collieries. One of his fondest memories is still getting paid for the ‘pit runs’ he didn’t actually have to do when the miners went on strike for the best part of a year.

Andrew said: “The pit contracts were great; it was money for old rope really. We’d take them into the pit and we usually had to wait at least an hour for the next miners to come out so we could take them home. So I’d have something to eat there and chat to the lasses working in the canteen.”

He recalls when Sunderland city centre was a shopping mecca to rival today’s Newcastle:

“The buses coming into Sunderland on a Saturday, from places like Bishop Auckland, were absolutely jam packed with shoppers, it was heaving.”

The two main local bus companies when Andrew started in 1973 were the SDO and Northern – SDO drivers were known as “the blues” and Northern staff were “the reds”.

Initially Andrew was an apprentice joiner but when the construction industry hit hard times he called into the SDO and asked if they had any jobs. He passed his bus driving (PCV) licence the second time he took it and has been a bus driver since.

He started out driving Leyland PD3 buses and now most often drives Volvo B9 double deckers.

Andrew now plans to enjoy his retirement by spending time with his wife Denise. He will be tending to his car, garden and greenhouse and taking his son’s four Labradors for walks.

Andrew’s son Iain also works for Go North East as an engineer at their Deptford depot in Sunderland.

He said: “I worked every hour when my son was little so it’s nice to be able to spend more time with my granddaughters.

“I’ve enjoyed my time as a driver and I have some great memories but I’m happy to be going.”

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - Ambassador - 16 Dec 2016

(16 Dec 2016, 9:06 am)Andreos1 I cant be the only one who dislikes the hub & spoke model. The shift towards the gradually increasing cross-city type services, would indicate something is changing.

Changes ahead?

I think most people have seen through and begun to resent the hub and spoke 'that'll be a buzz fare sale for us thanks' model.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - Dan - 16 Dec 2016

Chester-le-Street has withdrawn the final Lolyne in the fleet (3872) and also the first Scania L94 in the fleet (4928).

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - Michael - 16 Dec 2016

(16 Dec 2016, 11:55 am)Ambassador I think most people have seen through and begun to resent the hub and spoke 'that'll be a buzz fare sale for us thanks' model.

The whole buzzfare zone thing needs re-modeling but that's a post for another day Tongue

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - Greg in Weardale - 16 Dec 2016

I usually find GNE drivers quite good; yes, fares are too high and inconsistent, but it's the constant service changes, usually reductions, that put people off using the bus when they can't rely on the one they need to get to work still running in a couple of months. GNE need to remember that the success of their business depends on them providing a useful, reliable public service, for which they need to establish an integrated network providing good transport links across the area they serve - then leave it alone. We keep getting idiotic changes, look at the new 9 timetable, for example, and the latest X6/7 changes show how they just twiddle things about, usually for the worse, and are more concerned with pointless tit for tat competition with Arriva, rather than providing a stable network on which passengers can depend.

(16 Dec 2016, 12:17 pm)Dan Chester-le-Street has withdrawn the final Lolyne in the fleet (3872) and also the first Scania L94 in the fleet (4928).

=(, even though earlier than GNE wanted due to the repairs beyond economical repair, it still means we are closer for the Scania's to start being withdrawn.

(16 Dec 2016, 12:24 pm)Greg in Weardale I usually find GNE drivers quite good; yes, fares are too high and inconsistent, but it's the constant service changes, usually reductions, that put people off using the bus when they can't rely on the one they need to get to work still running in a couple of months. GNE need to remember that the success of their business depends on them providing a useful, reliable public service, for which they need to establish an integrated network providing good transport links across the area they serve - then leave it alone. We keep getting idiotic changes, look at the new 9 timetable, for example, and the latest X6/7 changes show how they just twiddle things about, usually for the worse, and are more concerned with pointless tit for tat competition with Arriva, rather than providing a stable network on which passengers can depend.

Can't forget the bus war in Sunderland with Stagecoach in North Sunderland, which tbh they lost.

Wouldn't be surprised if launch a new service to Newcastle to compete against Stagecoach's new X24, on almost the same route (maybe serve Heworth and Gateshead interchange though) in the new year.

I haven't seen the 9, X6 or X7 since the changes due to work so i can't comment on how they are doing.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - Ds1197 - 16 Dec 2016

(16 Dec 2016, 12:32 pm)Michael Can't forget the bus war in Sunderland with Stagecoach in North Sunderland, which tbh they lost.

Wouldn't be surprised if launch a new service to Newcastle to compete against Stagecoach's new X24, on almost the same route (maybe serve Heworth and Gateshead interchange though) in the new year.

I haven't seen the 9, X6 or X7 since the changes due to work so i can't comment on how they are doing.
The 9 runs very well between Sunderland and Jarrow but it's ran on cheap between Jarrow and North Shields  tight timings and no layover but I think that's because of Nexus contact

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - Greg in Weardale - 16 Dec 2016

But the 9 is an illogical and badly conceived timetable with only one through service per hour making it less useful than it was and will therefore put off passengers. Service changes like this over the last few years have put GNE into a spiral of decline which is shown by the poor corporate financial results.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - Andreos1 - 16 Dec 2016

6143 looking like its at Stanley and being used as a shuttle up the road.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - Jamie M - 16 Dec 2016

(16 Dec 2016, 1:30 pm)Greg in Weardale But the 9 is an illogical and badly conceived timetable with only one through service per hour making it less useful than it was and will therefore put off passengers. Service changes like this over the last few years have put GNE into a spiral of decline which is shown by the poor corporate financial results.

Whatever has been said isn't representative of all divisions, nor does it have to be. Derwentside and it's interconnecting links to itself and nearby cities is a complete monopoly. The amount of fares over 3£ paid is ludicrous. On evenings, on a 6 from say newcastle to stanley and everywhere else in the world, you can expect numbers of about 60 passengers. There are very few concessions around at this time. Most of these people have week tickets (or netone) (around 40£), or three zone buzzfare which is 100£ a month, or single paying (3£) quite a few the full fare (4£90). The fact that the road network is awful makes taking the bus more appropriate for most from this area. There are traffic jams everywhere, most of which the 6 avoids, too.

The buses used on route 6 are buses which just about function. Passengers always complain about them to the drivers. It's not a good experience, but it doesn't have to be. There is no need for comfort, because these people will always take the bus - no matter how uncomfortable and or expensive their trip is.

I have no idea how numbers are elsewhere, but you have to consider both aspects. Passenger loss isn't just down to fequency and quality of the service, especially where there is literally no competition. There are also social impacts, to consider. I spent many long and hard hours studying population shifts, I refuse to go back to explaining it, but the important thing to note is that people can make statistics mean anything they wish to, without considering alternative perspectives. In essence, people go out of their way to draw conclusions about results and make them represent something.

For this reason, I'm not prepared to blame the loss on anything until there is a direct cause, released publically - with actual data to support - which isn't skewed to mean something.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - Jamie M - 16 Dec 2016

(16 Dec 2016, 2:14 pm)Andreos1 6143 looking like its at Stanley and being used as a shuttle up the road.
I think S813FVK said it was out on scholars yesterday. I'd guess it will be out in full service in the next day or two.
It's a good one. Very quick and no rattles. This only qualifies as adequate to most depots, but it's like finding a gold mine up Stanley!

The only other ones in service up here - which don't rattle - are the trident plaxtons, they don't see as much service though.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 - Buses98 - 16 Dec 2016

I know it is slightly off topic bus does any one know if the optare metrodecker is any good on long diastants