North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 (/showthread.php?tid=2029)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - Tom - 07 Oct 2017

(07 Oct 2017, 5:39 pm)Malarkey With the 50 it tends to be busier between Durham and Washington than the latter part of the route, same with the 1 it tends to be busier between Wrekenton and Newcastle than again the latter part of the route, unless of course it is a nice summers day whereby the services are rammed. For me with these services much like the Red Kite & Toon Link I think it would be better to have a split allocation of double/single deckers, placing the deckers on the peak time boards when it is likely to be busier.

I disagree there it’s quiet between North Shields and Whitley Bay then busy between North Shields and Newcastle. Most of the time I get on at Newcastle heading to Wallsend it’s empty when it arrives in Newcastle.

(07 Oct 2017, 5:40 pm)Jimmi That's true, although I don't think it's quite busy enough when it's not really hot to justify double deckers and let's face it, this is Britain, we could possibly only have about 10 really hot days in a year. 

I'm struggling to think of anything other than the Coaster where they could be displaced to (providing they do come off the 21), really of the services that are already double deck operated, it would probably have to be something like maybe be a split between Chester-le-Street and Stanley depots for stuff like Toon Links, 15/15A, 13/X25 and 14/X22 although excluding the 15/15A all those services seem to be a mix of singles and double deckers and most other double decker routes have relatively modern stock (56, 309/310, X1).

I remember Dan saying why they were unlikely to go on the Stanley services but can’t recall why - someone might want to find the post haha

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - Jimmi - 07 Oct 2017

(07 Oct 2017, 6:05 pm)Tom

I remember Dan saying why they were unlikely to go on the Stanley services but can’t recall why - someone might want to find the post haha

I think it was something to do with the height of them being a problem on some of the Toon Link routes? May be wrong on that?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - Tom - 07 Oct 2017

(07 Oct 2017, 6:09 pm)Jimmi I think it was something to do with the height of them being a problem on some of the Toon Link routes? May be wrong on that?

Yeah maybe I can’t remember to be honest!

(07 Oct 2017, 6:26 pm)Tom Yeah maybe I can’t remember to be honest!

Dm I read the post wrong, sorry! Dan was referring to B5TLs not being allocated to the 21.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - S813 FVK - 07 Oct 2017

(07 Oct 2017, 6:09 pm)Jimmi I think it was something to do with the height of them being a problem on some of the Toon Link routes? May be wrong on that?

Yes - X30 goes under a low bridge at Dunston

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - Ambassador - 07 Oct 2017

The Hybrids aren’t entirely reliable and seem to be getting worse with age. A stop start service like the 27 would probably suit it more. Deckers always seem to struggle around Easedale Gardens and up in Kibblesworth.

Plus with 27 almost being a de facto metro replacement, the deckers you’d think would be welcome there.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - Jamie M - 07 Oct 2017

The diversion adds 3 minutes onto the X30, it happens quite a lot now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - Andreos1 - 08 Oct 2017

(07 Oct 2017, 6:45 pm)Ambassador The Hybrids aren’t entirely reliable and seem to be getting worse with age. A stop start service like the 27 would probably suit it more. Deckers always seem to struggle around Easedale Gardens and up in Kibblesworth.

Plus with 27 almost being a de facto metro replacement, the deckers you’d think would be welcome there.

It's them non-standardised vehicles. The ones that an operator wouldn't buy, cos they're different to the rest of the vehicles in the fleet...

To be fair, when bought - they were vehicles with new technology. There was always going to be issues with them.

I agree that something like the 27 would suit them.
Stop/start and tends to have decent loads.
Apart from that, I cant think of another route that replicates the stop/start - apart from the Bensham Bank/Lobley Hill services. I dread to think what the B5 would be like after a few weeks chugging up and down the hills. 
Even with an empty load.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - Ambassador - 08 Oct 2017

(08 Oct 2017, 12:47 am)Andreos1 It's them non-standardised vehicles. The ones that an operator wouldn't buy, cos they're different to the rest of the vehicles in the fleet...

To be fair, when bought - they were vehicles with new technology. There was always going to be issues with them.

It’s almost like the fleet purchasing policy went out of the window when HM Govt waved a bag of cash infront of a Hybrid purchase option  Rolleyes Tongue

I’d imagine Riverside are probably the only depot currently able to maintain the Hybrids alongside CLS. 

On the subject of Angels...wonder if we'll finally get our beloved pink angel livery back  Big Grin Or perhaps a rebrand back to the original 21 brand.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - Andreos1 - 08 Oct 2017

(08 Oct 2017, 1:07 am)Ambassador It’s almost like the fleet purchasing policy went out of the window when HM Govt waved a bag of cash infront of a Hybrid purchase option  Rolleyes Tongue  

I’d imagine Riverside are probably the only depot currently able to maintain the Hybrids alongside CLS. 

On the subject of Angels...wonder if we'll finally get our beloved pink angel livery back  Big Grin Or perhaps a rebrand back to the original 21 brand.

I was just harking back to the pink 21's, with all these Vykings making an appearance.
With Washington apparently not too happy with the Omni's, my mind started to wander...

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - Jamie M - 08 Oct 2017

Hybrids can be converted back to non-hybrid vehicles - but why are people so against the b5s going on hills? They manage fine on the X21 bank every single day.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - thetravelman - 08 Oct 2017

What is wrong with the StreetDecks at Crook at the moment or what is the reason why Crook are currently loaning a number of Volvo B7’s from Chester le Street.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - S830OFT - 08 Oct 2017

Hadrains wall solo 636 still carries the old Go North East logos.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - nk55 - 08 Oct 2017

(07 Oct 2017, 6:53 pm)Jamie M The diversion adds 3 minutes onto the X30, it happens quite a lot now.

Can’t remember when the X30 diverted away from its current route, 3995/6 are allocated to the 15/15a and 3885-9 (whatever’s left) don’t see regular service, so there’s no need to divert the service.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - S813 FVK - 08 Oct 2017

(08 Oct 2017, 10:35 am)nk55 Can’t remember when the X30 diverted away from its current route, 3995/6 are allocated to the 15/15a and 3885-9 (whatever’s left) don’t see regular service, so there’s no need to divert the service.

6032 made it on a while back but that was the first time in a long time that the X30 has had to divert. Certainly not a regular occurrence.

(08 Oct 2017, 1:31 am)Jamie M Hybrids can be converted back to non-hybrid vehicles - but why are people so against the b5s going on hills? They manage fine on the X21 bank every single day.

That said, a problem with the current crop of hybrids is that they are "probably over-engined", says Saint. He believes there is a gap in the market for a new family of engines designed with hybrids in mind. "Once you get below 4.5 litres, engines are designed for smaller LCVs and their duty cycles. Designs are unsuitable for hybrid buses. Some operators have found, to their peril, the problems with putting a small engine in a hybrid. It won't work, because it won't stand the bus' duty cycle."

source: http://www.transportengineer.org.uk/transport-engineer-features/bus-stop-start/52720

A good read.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - Citaro5326 - 08 Oct 2017

4935 now at Deptford

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - Michael - 08 Oct 2017

Has 5229 re-entered service yet?, if so which depot?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - big mac - 08 Oct 2017

What is the reason for the X21 running via Elvet in Durham rather than Neville's Cross on a Sunday?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2017 - G-CPTN - 08 Oct 2017

(08 Oct 2017, 1:29 pm)Andreos1 That said, a problem with the current crop of hybrids is that they are "probably over-engined", says Saint. He believes there is a gap in the market for a new family of engines designed with hybrids in mind. "Once you get below 4.5 litres, engines are designed for smaller LCVs and their duty cycles. Designs are unsuitable for hybrid buses. Some operators have found, to their peril, the problems with putting a small engine in a hybrid. It won't work, because it won't stand the bus' duty cycle."

source: http://www.transportengineer.org.uk/transport-engineer-features/bus-stop-start/52720

A good read.

Remember the disastrous gas-turbine engines in the first QuayLink buses?

(08 Oct 2017, 5:44 pm)G-CPTN Remember the disastrous gas-turbine engines in the first QuayLink buses?

I do.
Struggled on some of the hills if I remember correctly.

Was it you that said 'a good big un is better than a good little un' with regard to engines?