North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=2063)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - Ds1197 - 05 Jan 2018

(05 Jan 2018, 8:20 pm)Michael Hopefully that sees the Omnicities move on to their new routes, or a spare role, like at Washington.

I think most will stay at Percy Main and cascade on to the 11 and 19, I think one will transfer to Stanley. I don't no how many ominicites are at Percy Main but whatever I think whatevers left will end up at Washington.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - Michael - 05 Jan 2018

(05 Jan 2018, 9:15 pm)Ds1197 I think most will stay at Percy Main and cascade on to the 11 and 19, I think one will transfer to Stanley. I don't no how many ominicites are at Percy Main but whatever I think whatevers left will end up at Washington.

The 3 Citaro's are leaving Washington, they'll be replaced by 4 Omnicities (1 extra is needed on the 5/50 from end of the month), leaves 13:

8 for the Blue Arrow
4? for the 19 

leaves 1 spare 

------------

however, i think the Eclipses will stay on the 19 and:

8 on Blue Arrow 
1 to Stanley 

Rest will stay be split as spares.

With 4 to Washington 

= 17

----

It also depends, if the 6/X70/X71 get the ex London B9's, then the X30/X31 keep the Omnicities, they'll be more Omnicities spare, which could move on the 19.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - LVK 404L - 05 Jan 2018

(05 Jan 2018, 9:25 pm)Michael The 3 Citaro's are leaving Washington, they'll be replaced by 4 Omnicities (1 extra is needed on the 5/50 from end of the month), leaves 13:

8 for the Blue Arrow
4? for the 19 

leaves 1 spare 

------------

8 on Blue Arrow 
1 to Stanley 

With 4 to Washington 

= 17

----

It also depends, if the 6/X70/X71 get the ex London B9's, then the X30/X31 keep the Omnicities, they'll be more Omnicities spare, which could move on the 19.

----

Will Deptford gain at least 1 extra Citaro from Washington?

Doesn't the 6 interwork with the X31.....or at least the 6 I get from Newcastle arrives as an X31. So if the B9s from London do move to the 6 etc that's putting that plan up in the air.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - Citaro5326 - 05 Jan 2018

(05 Jan 2018, 9:25 pm)Michael The 3 Citaro's are leaving Washington, they'll be replaced by 4 Omnicities (1 extra is needed on the 5/50 from end of the month), leaves 13:

8 for the Blue Arrow
4? for the 19 

leaves 1 spare 

------------

8 on Blue Arrow 
1 to Stanley 

With 4 to Washington 

= 17

----

----

Will Deptford gain at least 1 extra Citaro from Washington?

Deptford is to get 5337 and 5338 so they will have 5292,5325,5337,5338,5438,5439,5479,5480 all spares

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - Michael - 05 Jan 2018

(05 Jan 2018, 10:12 pm)Citaro5326 Deptford is to get 5337 and 5338 so they will have 5292,5325,5337,5338,5438,5439,5479,5480 all spares

That's not a bad selection of spares tbh

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - G-CPTN - 05 Jan 2018

(05 Jan 2018, 7:05 pm)ne14ne1 I was on an Gateshead bound service that was diverted via the Tyne Bridge. (It was a 21). Coming down the Bigg Market the NSAs had obviously announced the next stop was High Level Bridge North, however being on diversion and turning left onto Mosley St we never reached High Level Bridge North.
If it had been London, the clever iBus system would have been utilised to announce something on the lines of 'This bus is on diversion, please listen for further announcements'. Not being as intelligent though there was no such information given here, (and I didn't hear my driver announce the diversion either) - not great for blind/visually impaired or people unfamiliar with the route/area. Anyway I take it theres no option for our drivers to play pre-recorded announcements in such circumstances?
Is this because our announcements are linked to the destination selected and will only play recordings for that route?
(So if a bus diverts away from the route it'll just not play anything until the bus rejoins the usual route and the NSAs will suddenly catch up?)
I also wondered what happens when services to Newcastle are terminated early at Gateshead due to congestion in Newcastle etc. Is anything altered then or does the bus continue to announce it's going to Newcastle, or if the driver is aware of the short service before reaching Gateshead, is there Gateshead destination screens available & the relevant NSAs linked for those eventualities?

Just curious. Sorry for the hundred questions.  Smile

As I understand it, a pre-programmed route of NSAs is triggered by GPS signals, so, if the vehicle doesn't reach that location, the NSA will not be triggered.
It is theoretically possible for ALL bus stops throughout the region (and, indeed, the whole of Britain) to be included (much like a standard SatNav) but the current system contains only a linear description of the route and has no facility for diversions (though regular diversions could conceivably be included).

Next generation NSAs maybe? - and work for Dan and his mates.

Having said that,the current system isn't foolproof and gliches can occur with stops being 'missed' - at least initially - with the system catching up later on the journey.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - Rapidsnap - 06 Jan 2018

In case anyone is interested I've mapped out the route of the H1.

.png
H1.png
Size 272.06 KB / Downloads 39

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - Northern4555 - 06 Jan 2018

(06 Jan 2018, 12:34 am)Rapidsnap In case anyone is interested I've mapped out the route of the H1.
Just wondering if this bus observes all stops on route

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - LVK 404L - 06 Jan 2018

(06 Jan 2018, 1:10 am)Northern4555 Just wondering if this bus observes all stops on route

according to traveline timetable it does.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - Dan - 06 Jan 2018

(05 Jan 2018, 7:05 pm)ne14ne1 I was on an Gateshead bound service that was diverted via the Tyne Bridge. (It was a 21). Coming down the Bigg Market the NSAs had obviously announced the next stop was High Level Bridge North, however being on diversion and turning left onto Mosley St we never reached High Level Bridge North.
If it had been London, the clever iBus system would have been utilised to announce something on the lines of 'This bus is on diversion, please listen for further announcements'. Not being as intelligent though there was no such information given here, (and I didn't hear my driver announce the diversion either) - not great for blind/visually impaired or people unfamiliar with the route/area. Anyway I take it theres no option for our drivers to play pre-recorded announcements in such circumstances?
Is this because our announcements are linked to the destination selected and will only play recordings for that route?
(So if a bus diverts away from the route it'll just not play anything until the bus rejoins the usual route and the NSAs will suddenly catch up?)
I also wondered what happens when services to Newcastle are terminated early at Gateshead due to congestion in Newcastle etc. Is anything altered then or does the bus continue to announce it's going to Newcastle, or if the driver is aware of the short service before reaching Gateshead, is there Gateshead destination screens available & the relevant NSAs linked for those eventualities?

Just curious. Sorry for the hundred questions.  Smile

(05 Jan 2018, 11:59 pm)G-CPTN As I understand it, a pre-programmed route of NSAs is triggered by GPS signals, so, if the vehicle doesn't reach that location, the NSA will not be triggered.
It is theoretically possible for ALL bus stops throughout the region (and, indeed, the whole of Britain) to be included (much like a standard SatNav) but the current system contains only a linear description of the route and has no facility for diversions (though regular diversions could conceivably be included).

Next generation NSAs maybe? - and work for Dan and his mates.

Having said that,the current system isn't foolproof and gliches can occur with stops being 'missed' - at least initially - with the system catching up later on the journey.

The iBus system is great, and the customer experience in a bus in London is completely different to any bus elsewhere fitted with Next Stop Announcements. It's a really clever system, and the equivalent systems used by operators in the North East and beyond will never be quite as sophisticated.

You're right in suggesting that, unlike the iBus system, the announcements on buses in the North East will only play recordings relevant to the route which has been selected by the driver on the destination controller. So yes, the bus will just show the stop which it should have next reached, until it reaches another stop on the route which is recognised in the programme for that service. Go North East's buses are also set to show a generic message/slide after a period of time without seeing a bus stop the system recognises.

Most services which usually terminate in Newcastle have the option of setting the destination as Gateshead as an alternative. Of course there are regular announcements which say "This is the xxx service to yyy", which would hopefully reiterate to customers that the service is not terminating in Newcastle as it usually does. As well as this, there is also a pre-recorded "transferring passengers" announcement. This plays a recording advising passengers that the bus will terminate early in order to allow the service to make up time and to change at the next bus stop and transfer to another bus, also apologising for the inconvenience. The destination shows Not in Service publicly, so should be selected immediately before reaching the point at which the bus is going to be regulated at.

How Go North East utilise the system is more or less the system at its limit, as the technology currently stands. The only other thing Go North East could do is show connections to rail stations and Airports (showing scheduled or real-time departures). It works based on having a connection to the Wi-Fi on the bus - Lothian Buses do it on their new Skylink and Airlink buses - but the computer sitting behind the scenes only has so much memory. The more you add, the slower the system will load, and the more problems the system is likely to incur. Go North East's 'bank' of programmed journeys sits at around 500 now - the first time the media is loaded, it takes around 30 minutes to load to the bus.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - misfit - 06 Jan 2018

Two of the new 63XX at Saltmeadows at 0800 this morning. Unable to identify as no registration plates.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - Dan - 06 Jan 2018

(06 Jan 2018, 10:03 am)misfit Two of the new 63XX at Saltmeadows at 0800 this morning. Unable to identify as no registration plates.

6327 and 6328 are outside - delivered between Christmas and New Year.
6329 is inside, being branded today.

Another Coaster should be branded today - 6063 off memory, but may be wrong on that one.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - ne14ne1 - 06 Jan 2018

(06 Jan 2018, 10:00 am)Dan The iBus system is great, and the customer experience in a bus in London is completely different to any bus elsewhere fitted with Next Stop Announcements. It's a really clever system, and the equivalent systems used by operators in the North East and beyond will never be quite as sophisticated.

You're right in suggesting that, unlike the iBus system, the announcements on buses in the North East will only play recordings relevant to the route which has been selected by the driver on the destination controller. So yes, the bus will just show the stop which it should have next reached, until it reaches another stop on the route which is recognised in the programme for that service. Go North East's buses are also set to show a generic message/slide after a period of time without seeing a bus stop the system recognises.

Most services which usually terminate in Newcastle have the option of setting the destination as Gateshead as an alternative. Of course there are regular announcements which say "This is the xxx service to yyy", which would hopefully reiterate to customers that the service is not terminating in Newcastle as it usually does. As well as this, there is also a pre-recorded "transferring passengers" announcement. This plays a recording advising passengers that the bus will terminate early in order to allow the service to make up time and to change at the next bus stop and transfer to another bus, also apologising for the inconvenience. The destination shows Not in Service publicly, so should be selected immediately before reaching the point at which the bus is going to be regulated at.

How Go North East utilise the system is more or less the system at its limit, as the technology currently stands. The only other thing Go North East could do is show connections to rail stations and Airports (showing scheduled or real-time departures). It works based on having a connection to the Wi-Fi on the bus - Lothian Buses do it on their new Skylink and Airlink buses - but the computer sitting behind the scenes only has so much memory. The more you add, the slower the system will load, and the more problems the system is likely to incur. Go North East's 'bank' of programmed journeys sits at around 500 now - the first time the media is loaded, it takes around 30 minutes to load to the bus.

Ah I see. Thanks for the info Dan.

On a slightly different note have you noticed quite a lot of Angel21 drivers bound for Newcastle Eldon Sq change their destination too early for the return journey? Fairly often we haven't reached Blackett St and the bus suddenly says its heading to Durham or Chester-le-St. One of the buses I was on last week hadn't even reached Newcastle! The driver must have changed the destination as we were going over the Tyne Bridge. Any blind/partially sighted people or tourists must be left slightly panicked wondering what happened to Newcastle John Dobson St, Blackett St and Eldon Sq Bus Station!
I realise the drivers probably are thinking I'll do it now while I remember, or, so Durham/Chester-le-St is displayed for approaching the Eldon Sq bus stand, but I don't think the destination & 'This is an Angel 21 service, to [Durham/Chester.]' announcement should be heard/seen until maybe the lights on Percy St, waiting to turn right onto the bus station approach. I should probably email this suggestion to GNE actually.  Huh

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - Andreos1 - 06 Jan 2018

(06 Jan 2018, 12:34 am)Rapidsnap In case anyone is interested I've mapped out the route of the H1.

I haven't been on the road behind Monkton Business Park for a long time. If the railway bridge is still as it was, that will be fun!

Fancy doing a map showing the 88 route for comparison?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - Michael - 06 Jan 2018

(06 Jan 2018, 10:24 am)Dan 6327 and 6328 are outside - delivered between Christmas and New Year.

Another Coaster should be branded today - 6063 off memory, but may be wrong on that one.

How long does it take SM to brand a bus?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - Tom - 06 Jan 2018

(06 Jan 2018, 10:24 am)Dan 6327 and 6328 are outside - delivered between Christmas and New Year.

6063 has already been branded according to the news.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - Michael - 06 Jan 2018

When will the 2 Euro 6 baby Solo's arrive for the Cathedral bus in Durham?, as it part of the Contract to provide Euro 6 buses on the route(s), will a spare also be ordered?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - MrBoyt - 06 Jan 2018

(06 Jan 2018, 11:07 am)Andreos1 Fancy doing a map showing the 88 route for comparison?

.gif
88.gif
Size 126.64 KB / Downloads 32

That's the relevant bit from Lukes Lane to the hospital anyway (minus the bus gate across John Reid Rd which Google doesn't know exists)

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - Andreos1 - 06 Jan 2018

(06 Jan 2018, 5:12 pm)MrBoyt That's the relevant bit from Lukes Lane to the hospital anyway (minus the bus gate across John Reid Rd which Google doesn't know exists)

Cheers. Appreciate it.
Going to have to work out which buses will use the bus gate now. Another example of partnership scheme that has used taxpayers money until it suits?
The other local bus gate (at Wardley) is another example.

In the Bus Changes thread, one of th documents I uploaded last week contains a map showing how much of the population are able to use the 88/88A when visiting the hospital.
Keen to see a comparison once the upcoming changes come in to play.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018 - Citaro5326 - 06 Jan 2018

6063 was on 327 fully done with 6062 at riverside for Psv I believe