North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2018 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - park5354 - 11 Oct 2018

(11 Oct 2018, 3:56 pm)pbjd Hopefully 5386 becomes a Green Quaylink so the fleet numbers are in order.

5385/86/87/88 should go purple Quaylink, with 8315/16/17 going green Quaylink, thus all ten plates 8310-18 are for Q3. 

Also think 8335 should lose its quaylink branding, but keeping its' Pride livery.

Also 5390 should get painted white as a new Poppy Bus, and try to get it done for 11/11.

5485 has been repainted into GNE corporate.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - JM03 - 12 Oct 2018

Just a quick question. I was on 6084 and noticed it was different to all other TVT i the same code areas and was on tonight but it has newer regs, different seats(no leather back) and the newer plugs. Has it always been at Riverside?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Jamie M - 12 Oct 2018

(12 Oct 2018, 9:40 pm)JM03 Just a quick question. I was on 6084 and noticed it was different to all other TVT i the same code areas and was on tonight but it has newer regs, different seats(no leather back) and the newer plugs. Has it always been at Riverside?
Used to be fab fifty six a few years ago, but was sent over for TENs some point in the last 3 years. I don't ever remember it at deptford tbh.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - JM03 - 12 Oct 2018

(12 Oct 2018, 9:41 pm)Jamie M Used to be fab fifty six a few years ago, but was sent over for TENs some point in the last 3 years. I don't ever remember it at deptford tbh.

Was there a bigger PVR or something for the 56 back then or something?

(12 Oct 2018, 9:41 pm)Jamie M Used to be fab fifty six a few years ago, but was sent over for TENs some point in the last 3 years. I don't ever remember it at deptford tbh.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Jamie M - 12 Oct 2018

(12 Oct 2018, 9:44 pm)JM03 Was there a bigger PVR or something for the 56 back then or something?

It dropped by 1 I think, someone else might have more to add if there actually is anything more to say.

(12 Oct 2018, 9:45 pm)Jamie M It dropped by 1 I think, someone else might have more to add if there actually is anything more to say.

Ok, thank you. Got me really curious now

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - S813 FVK - 12 Oct 2018

PVR was reduced by 1 when the 56 went from every 10 minutes to every 12.

6084 transferred with the intention of being a spare for the X9/X10 with having a tachograph, but was also used on the TENs to make up the PVR of those services.

(12 Oct 2018, 9:49 pm)S813 FVK PVR was reduced by 1 when the 56 went from every 10 minutes to every 12.

6084 transferred with the intention of being a spare for the X9/X10 with having a tachograph, but was also used on the TENs to make up the PVR of those services.

Whats a tachograph

(12 Oct 2018, 10:30 pm)JM03 Whats a tachograph
It's a device that requires a driver tachograph card. It records driver speed and driver hours. The card is credit card sized.

It gets complicated. Stop reading here if you don't like complicated things.

If you pass over 51km driving (or so) from the starting destination, your journey falls under "EU" driving rules, and this means less driving time and more strict breaks and definitions and the need for all of the following:
- A bus with a tachograph card reader
- A driver who has a tachograph card
- A driver who has enough hours left per week to be able to legally driver under EU rules (I can't remember the EU value, silly me wasnt long ago since I did my theory, I'm too young to driver under EU rules anyway....)

It's ultimately a silly idea for it to be used for local services because it means different drivers need different breaks and only certain buses can be used. As a result you won't see it used on anything but coach work now, the whole need for a tachograph (bus and driver), or Private Hire. It can be bypassed by splitting the route in half. X10 now goes to Dalton Park then Middlesborough and neither leg of the journey are more than 51km, where as the whole X10 journey end-to-end is. 685 is another good example of this splitting technique.

Tachographed buses still will be around for private hire which can easily excess the limits for domestic driving and are normally done in one continuous stretch. There's all sorts of examples of private hire that GNE do but someone else can go into that detail.

Domestic rules make more sense and are more flexible in most situations, less break time needed and more time behind the wheel allowed and any vehicle can be used.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Andreos1 - 12 Oct 2018

(12 Oct 2018, 10:30 pm)JM03 Whats a tachograph

(12 Oct 2018, 10:37 pm)Jamie M It's a device that requires a driver tachograph card. It records driver speed and driver hours. The card is credit card sized.

It gets complicated. Stop reading here if you don't like complicated things.

If you pass over 51km driving (or so) from the starting destination, your journey falls under "EU" driving rules, and this means less driving time and more strict breaks and definitions and the need for all of the following:
- A bus with a tachograph card reader
- A driver who has a tachograph card
- A driver who has enough hours left per week to be able to legally driver under EU rules (I can't remember the EU value, silly me wasnt long ago since I did my theory, I'm too young to driver under EU rules anyway....)

It's ultimately a silly idea for it to be used for local services because it means different drivers need different breaks and only certain buses can be used. As a result you won't see it used on anything but coach work now, the whole need for a tachograph (bus and driver), or Private Hire. It can be bypassed by splitting the route in half. X10 now goes to Dalton Park then Middlesborough and neither leg of the journey are more than 51km, where as the whole X10 journey end-to-end is. 685 is another good example of this splitting technique.

Tachographed buses still will be around for private hire which can easily excess the limits for domestic driving and are normally done in one continuous stretch. There's all sorts of examples of private hire that GNE do but someone else can go into that detail.

Domestic rules make more sense and are more flexible in most situations, less break time needed and more time behind the wheel allowed and any vehicle can be used.

Also used for HGV's where distances don't count, but hours do. 
As well as the digital version mentioned, there's the older analogue version with times/speeds marked on a paper disc. Symbols were the order of the day in addition to a line type chart. 
Although I believe vehicles manufactured post 2006 have digital fitted rather than analogue.

(12 Oct 2018, 11:10 pm)Andreos1 Also used for HGV's where distances don't count, but hours do. 
As well as the digital version mentioned, there's the older analogue version with times/speeds marked on a paper disc. Although I believe vehicles manufactured post 2006 have digital fitted rather than analogue.
Nobody uses paper methods anymore, it's about as useful and novelty as a floppy disk. Folk law teaches you had to take a bag full of them in case one got dirty. Still for some unexplainable reason, it features prominently on DSA revision material, probably as high as digital tachographs and safety material.

I thought they would want us to be more focused on keeping calm and adapting to situations than having full knowledge on which traffic wombles can do what to a piece of paper (that we're less likely to ever see), but I don't write the rules.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Andreos1 - 12 Oct 2018

(12 Oct 2018, 11:12 pm)Jamie M Nobody uses paper methods anymore, it's about as useful and novelty as a floppy disk. Folk law teaches you had to take a bag full of them in case one got dirty. Still for some unexplainable reason, it features prominently on DSA revision material, probably as high as digital tachographs and safety material.

Just enough spare incase of damage or dirt. 

You sure about nobody using the old charts? 
Granted it will be reduced compared to days of yore, but chances are anything built prior to 2006 still kicking around, will have them.
Particularly in smaller fleets.

(12 Oct 2018, 11:17 pm)Andreos1 Just enough spare incase of damage or dirt. 

You sure about nobody using the old charts? 
Granted it will be reduced compared to days of yore, but chances are anything built prior to 2006 still kicking around, will have them.
Particularly in smaller fleets.
Most jobs you look for demand digital tachograph card, I've never actually seen a listing for hgv or psv that says otherwise unless it doesn't break domestic rules. Would say its an exception that perhaps one or two old vehicles require the use paper discs and actually end up being used with said paper discs.

Maybe I won't see a tachograph card either, I'm a few years off being allowed to be let loose on EU rules for PSV so who knows

I personally think there should be a seperate exam for tachograph users because it's a different ball game and a different career completely. I picked up so much tachograph knowledge that will be miles away by the time I could even consider having one. Would also help justify having that silly module system they have in place for CPC and whatever else it is.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Andreos1 - 13 Oct 2018

(12 Oct 2018, 11:22 pm)Jamie M Most jobs you look for demand digital tachograph card, I've never actually seen a listing for hgv or psv that says otherwise unless it doesn't break domestic rules. Would say its an exception that perhaps one or two old vehicles require the use paper discs and actually end up being used with said paper discs.

Maybe I won't see a tachograph card either, I'm a few years off being allowed to be let loose on EU rules for PSV so who knows

I personally think there should be a seperate exam for tachograph users because it's a different ball game and a different career completely. I picked up so much tachograph knowledge that will be miles away by the time I could even consider having one. Would also help justify having that silly module system they have in place for CPC and whatever else it is.

Totally agree with the need for a separate module relating to tachographs. Whether it is another exam (on top of everything else) is something I'm unsure about.

It is (or certainly was) covered off in the Transport Managers CPC in great detail.
Not sure that's of any direct benefit to the driver though.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Michael - 14 Oct 2018

When will the 2 Hybrid Solo's (629/630?) return to service on the 700?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - busmanT - 14 Oct 2018

(14 Oct 2018, 10:50 am)Michael When will the 2 Hybrid Solo's (629/630?) return to service on the 700?

They have been back on for a few weeks

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Michael - 14 Oct 2018

(14 Oct 2018, 12:04 pm)busmanT They have been back on for a few weeks

Ah right, thanks, about time, couldn't remember seeing a post about it, haven't been out either, been off work sick!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - L469 YVK - 14 Oct 2018

Seems to be quite a few problems with the X9/X10 lately in terms of vehicle reliability / breakdowns. Are such instances just minor faults or are the B5TLs genuinely not suited to the route?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Jamie M - 14 Oct 2018

(14 Oct 2018, 3:20 pm)L469 YVK Seems to be quite a few problems with the X9/X10 lately in terms of vehicle reliability / breakdowns. Are such instances just minor faults or are the B5TLs genuinely not suited to the route?
I don't believe their fit for those routes but that's just pure speculation on my end. They get absolutely hammered for 10 hours a day every day of the week, not got the most powerful engines ever either. B9TLs have nearly double the engine size.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - MattRut21 - 14 Oct 2018

Doesn't necessarily mean it's a breakdown with a B5TL as well. Could be one of the spares operating that's broken down.