North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2018 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - GuyParkRoyal - 15 Oct 2018

There does appear to be a problem with the X9/X10 B5TL vehicles. They are often seen parked in the yard at the Volvo truck and bus centre at Washington.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Andreos1 - 15 Oct 2018

(15 Oct 2018, 6:18 am)GuyParkRoyal There does appear to be a problem with the X9/X10 B5TL vehicles. They are often seen parked in the yard at the Volvo truck and bus centre at Washington.

Must admit to seeing at least two 'odd' workings a day on my trips up and down the A19 recently.
Often corporate B9's. But as reported on here, a number of other vehicles have appeared too.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Dan - 15 Oct 2018

(15 Oct 2018, 6:18 am)GuyParkRoyal There does appear to be a problem with the X9/X10 B5TL vehicles. They are often seen parked in the yard at the Volvo truck and bus centre at Washington.

I don't think this necessarily suggests poor reliability - rather that they're under warranty and Volvo prefer to work on their own premises rather than a Go North East site, unlike Wrights and Optare, who more commonly carry out work on-site (so arguably less noticeable). Scania and ADL are often seen on-site at Stagecoach sites, so I'd say this is how they prefer to carry out their maintenance work.

The Volvo B5 Hybrids and Volvo B11RT coaches are also regularly parked at Volvo on Crowther Industrial Estate, again because they are under warranty.

Similarly when Wrightbus vehicles have issues on the engine side (Daimler/Mercedes), they are often sent to Bells near Benton, as that is the preference of their engineers.

While they are under warranty, you'd expect bus operators to get the issues fixed (regardless of however small they are) as soon as it is flagged up.

When the warranty expires, Go North East's own engineers carry out work during the night to reduce impact on operations. You don't tend to be that lucky when the work is outsourced (under warranty) as they have more than Go North East as a customer!

I have said this in the past but will say it again - if every operator reported every incident/breakdown as Go North East does with the X10, we would be suggesting that there isn't a single vehicle type in the country which can be deemed reliable.

That said, I do think the 5-litre engined Volvo is perhaps being strained a little too much up and down the A19 seven days a week, but I don't think there's a bus on the market that could cope with such a demanding route. The X9/X10 needs coaches for the work that it does, no doubt about that, but there isn't one on the market that could deliver what Go North East needs for this type of route. The coach would need to be low-floor and high capacity (peak time journeys need every single seat currently on the B5TLs), with a dedicated wheelchair bay.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - RBZ 5459 - 15 Oct 2018

(15 Oct 2018, 7:35 am)Dan I don't think this necessarily suggests poor reliability - rather that they're under warranty and Volvo prefer to work on their own premises rather than a Go North East site, unlike Wrights and Optare, who more commonly carry out work on-site (so arguably less noticeable). Scania and ADL are often seen on-site at Stagecoach sites, so I'd say this is how they prefer to carry out their maintenance work.

The Volvo B5 Hybrids and Volvo B11RT coaches are also regularly parked at Volvo on Crowther Industrial Estate, again because they are under warranty.

Similarly when Wrightbus vehicles have issues on the engine side (Daimler/Mercedes), they are often sent to Bells near Benton, as that is the preference of their engineers.

While they are under warranty, you'd expect bus operators to get the issues fixed (regardless of however small they are) as soon as it is flagged up.

When the warranty expires, Go North East's own engineers carry out work during the night to reduce impact on operations. You don't tend to be that lucky when the work is outsourced (under warranty) as they have more than Go North East as a customer!

I have said this in the past but will say it again - if every operator reported every incident/breakdown as Go North East does with the X10, we would be suggesting that there isn't a single vehicle type in the country which can be deemed reliable.

That said, I do think the 5-litre engined Volvo is perhaps being strained a little too much up and down the A19 seven days a week, but I don't think there's a bus on the market that could cope with such a demanding route. The X9/X10 needs coaches for the work that it does, no doubt about that, but there isn't one on the market that could deliver what Go North East needs for this type of route. The coach would need to be low-floor and high capacity (peak time journeys need every single seat currently on the B5TLs), with a dedicated wheelchair bay.

Plaxton Panorama perhaps?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Michael - 15 Oct 2018

(15 Oct 2018, 9:01 am)RBZ 5459 Plaxton Panorama perhaps?

They would suit the route but would come with a few problems.... Eldon Square, Peterlee bus station, Dalton Park? (are they bigger than the coach which used to be allocated to the Stagecoach X55?).

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Jamie M - 15 Oct 2018

2 longnidekkas up. Were in riverside depot the morning but have now disappeared.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - RBZ 5459 - 15 Oct 2018

(15 Oct 2018, 10:00 am)Michael They would suit the route but would come with a few problems.... Eldon Square, Peterlee bus station, Dalton Park? (are they bigger than the coach which used to be allocated to the Stagecoach X55?).

Half a metre shorter the Panorama. Eldon might be squeeze, bottom stands a possibility.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Andreos1 - 15 Oct 2018

(15 Oct 2018, 11:34 am)RBZ 5459  
Half a metre shorter the Panorama. Eldon might be squeeze, bottom stands a possibility.

How about those Volvo coaches that appeared on the 685?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Jamie M - 15 Oct 2018

(15 Oct 2018, 12:55 pm)Andreos1 How about those Volvo coaches that appeared on the 685?
What about those'n on the oxford tube.

(15 Oct 2018, 12:55 pm)Andreos1 How about those Volvo coaches that appeared on the 685?

The likes of Stagecoach's Jonckheere, Arrivas Primas and Go North East's Paragons were all about 12m and used Eldon Sq. When Howard Snaith ran the 808 a B9R Elite (not their tri-axle ones) occasional cropped up too, also 12m. The new Panorama is a chunkier 14.5m.

(15 Oct 2018, 12:58 pm)Jamie M What about those'n on the oxford tube.

Astromegas, 14.2m seemingly.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - pbjd - 15 Oct 2018

(15 Oct 2018, 11:26 am)Jamie M 2 longnidekkas up. Were in riverside depot the morning but have now disappeared.

6167 & 6171.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Stanleyone - 15 Oct 2018

(15 Oct 2018, 10:00 am)Michael They would suit the route but would come with a few problems.... Eldon Square, Peterlee bus station, Dalton Park? (are they bigger than the coach which used to be allocated to the Stagecoach X55?).

More than a few spare bus stops on Newgate Street. Eldon square could do with freeing up some space.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Jamie M - 15 Oct 2018

(15 Oct 2018, 3:58 pm)pbjd 6167 & 6171.
They were in front of my car then somehow ended up behind it, before disappearing completely. Was like something out of the truman show

(15 Oct 2018, 4:17 pm)Stanleyone More than a few spare bus stops on Newgate Street. Eldon square could do with freeing up some space.

Agree with the sentiment about freeing up space in Eldon Square. 
Was wondering if the taxi spaces by Marksies on Prudhoe Place could be used for a coach type service.
At least then there is the potential for having somewhere for layover time, without causing too much of an issue for passing traffic.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - GNE6312 - 15 Oct 2018

(15 Oct 2018, 7:35 am)Dan I don't think this necessarily suggests poor reliability - rather that they're under warranty and Volvo prefer to work on their own premises rather than a Go North East site, unlike Wrights and Optare, who more commonly carry out work on-site (so arguably less noticeable). Scania and ADL are often seen on-site at Stagecoach sites, so I'd say this is how they prefer to carry out their maintenance work.

How about ayatas eclipses like jh18 com i am sure they would get into eldon square and can be costumised to have an electronic ramp and a weelchair bay behind the cab.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - Northern - 16 Oct 2018

Bring back the days when there used to be the ExpressLink deckers & Tynelink deckers. The Tynelink deckers had amazing acceleration & power. More than capable back then.

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - cbma06 - 16 Oct 2018

(16 Oct 2018, 2:42 pm)Northern Bring back the days when there used to be the ExpressLink deckers & Tynelink deckers. The Tynelink deckers had amazing acceleration & power. More than capable back then.

Used to love getting on the expresslink buses.

Buses are made to cheap and not last long these days under the rules of the EU. Hope the UK doesn’t adopt these rules and get back to making buses last longer that there used to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - xpm - 16 Oct 2018

For all the talk of there's no suitable decker on the market for the X9/X10's I can't believe no one has mentioned this (the shorter version of the two):

http://www.route-one.net/articles/Ensign_s_new_Enterprise_challenges_the_market

Particularly as they will build to an operator's specification - although I suspect the price tag may be too rich for GNE.

How many different buses are going to be prematurely aged by this route before something gives?  The figures can't be adding up as it stands surely?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - MrBoyt - 16 Oct 2018

(16 Oct 2018, 3:13 pm)cbma06 Buses are made to cheap and not last long these days under the rules of the EU. Hope the UK doesn’t adopt these rules and get back to making buses last longer that there used to be

What's the EU got to do with worse standards of bus construction?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2018 - missedbus - 17 Oct 2018

(16 Oct 2018, 7:28 pm)MrBoyt What's the EU got to do with worse standards of bus construction?

Not a lot, many EU countries are still wedded to three-door heavyweights, as far removed from a Streetlite as one can get. I believe buses (as opposed to coaches) are subject to the UK's own Construction and Use rules, so nothing to do with the EU, other than the emissions legislation (Euro VI).