North East Buses
Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers (/showthread.php?tid=2207)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - streetdeckfan - 20 Aug 2021

(20 Aug 2021, 2:49 pm)Storx See in the longer term I could only see it working if it replaced some conventional bus routes aswell even if they worked with them at the same time. For example say the 28/28A issues which we're having now. It could work as a DRT service around the Chester Le Street area from the likes of Waldridge, Ouston, Pelton, Pelton Fells, Houghton Le Spring, Fence Houses then just flow directly into what would be the 21 and pick up customers as normal along Durham Road going towards Newcastle and would replace parts of the 25, 28, 28A, 29, 34 and 71.

So you'd have something like a 21 every 7.5 minutes to the Angel and every 15 minutes to Chester Le Street and depending on where people have ordered to go the 4 buses would split off at Angel and do they're own little routes to like Kibblesworth, Harlow Green, Ouston, Pelton and the other 4 from Chester Le Street going to Durham, Waldridge Park, Fencehouses or whereever.

It would work quite well along the Coast Road aswell with Whitley say have the 308 every 15 minutes to North Tyneside Hospital then every 30 minutes to Blyth via Whitley with the 2 308's ending at North Tyneside becoming a local DRT services there taking passengers to Monkseaton, Marden, Cullercoats or whereever they want to go.

Right now though all the profitable routes still exist and DRT are really only running the rump services so it'll never make a profit like that. It's very long term but some day can really see it taking of and what are 'conventional' bus routes just don't exist in most places.

I think the main issue at the end of the day is that buses are a form of mass transit, it's never going to work if there's just a few passengers here and there.

Having thought further about what I said further up about ride sharing and DRT being essentially the same thing, I really feel like they're going about it the wrong way. Would it not make more sense to have DRT services offered by taxi operators rather than bus operators, since the service more closely resembles the form of a taxi rather than a traditional bus service.

I feel like the overheads with it being offered by a taxi operator would be lower than it being operated by the likes of GNE or Arriva, although I could be mistaken. And since a service like DRT will, in all likelihood, always need to be subsidised due to the low usage, would it not make sense to go with the lower cost option.

I personally feel that, an operator like, dare I say it, GCT would be fairly well suited to running a DRT service.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Andreos1 - 20 Aug 2021

Apparently remote working is increasing and people aren't going back to offices/factories.
We've also got physical retailers apparently dying on their feet. 
Yet, here we are at TVTE and there's a boatload of traffic and not a single bus in sight.
https://twitter.com/NELiveTraffic/status/1428743458425036800?s=19

Where are all of those cars going? Why aren't the drivers using public transport? Why don't we see more than the 93/94 serving TVTE? Why can't operators see beyond the same old? 
That X32 should have been the start of operators looking at something different. Doesn't look like it was the case at all.

(20 Aug 2021, 3:50 pm)Andreos1 Apparently remote working is increasing and people aren't going back to offices/factories.
We've also got physical retailers apparently dying on their feet. 
Yet, here we are at TVTE and there's a boatload of traffic and not a single bus in sight.
https://twitter.com/NELiveTraffic/status/1428743458425036800?s=19

Where are all of those cars going? Why aren't the drivers using public transport? Why don't we see more than the 93/94 serving TVTE? Why can't operators see beyond the same old? 
That X32 should have been the start of operators looking at something different. Doesn't look like it was the case at all.

Lack of public transport to Team Valley is definitely an issue, it's one of the (many) things that puts me off going.

Perhaps sending some southbound services such as the X21 through Team Valley would be handy, although then there'd be the issue of getting through the traffic!

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Charles41 - 20 Aug 2021

Many people are using the Team Valley as a shortcut to avoid the roadworks on the Western Bypass. I use it myself for that reason.

Charles

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - idiot - 20 Aug 2021

I'm fed up of these road works already.

(20 Aug 2021, 6:30 pm)Charles41 Many people are using the Team Valley as a shortcut to avoid the roadworks on the Western Bypass. I use it myself for that reason.

Charles

But you aren't avoiding any roadworks by scooting down Kingsway... Huh

(20 Aug 2021, 4:27 pm)streetdeckfan Lack of public transport to Team Valley is definitely an issue, it's one of the (many) things that puts me off going.

Perhaps sending some southbound services such as the X21 through Team Valley would be handy, although then there'd be the issue of getting through the traffic!

I remember a few years ago, there was a big initiative set up by the GNE and TVTE bods. Encouraging the use of public transport and bycicles.
Even then, they still persisted with the 93/94.
The PR scheme didn't last.

Quite why the penny didn't drop and they started to realise that not everyone wants to change at Maingate or Gateshead (or Chowdene, the QE or Heworth), is anyones guess.

Blinkers perhaps?

I've used the 93/94 to/from workplaces when I've needed to be at the valley for meetings.
If I wasn't a gricer, I'd have given it up after 1 trip.
I just hope my journeys haven't distorted the figures and given someone the justification to keep things as they are.
'Frank, we've had one passenger change at that church on Bensham Bank, another one at the QE and one fella hung around Gateshead Interchange like a muppet for 35mins, waiting for a bus down the bank. He will have been late for work, but it justifies keeping services as they are!
Aye, when you're at it. Look at cancelling the 71. No fu£&er uses that apart from the FPF and those old biddies needing their pension, bread and milk'.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Ambassador - 20 Aug 2021

(20 Aug 2021, 8:36 pm)Andreos1 But you aren't avoiding any roadworks by scooting down Kingsway... Huh

The still to be activated 50mph roadwork cameras from Birtley down to Team Valley and vice versa are causing congestion already so folk are already taking alternative routes through Allerdene and Lamesley, it’s probably not any quicker but you get the sense of movement. 

Team Valley is quite interesting, it’s evolved into this hybrid factory-office-local indie style place. Before Gateshead council literally handed them the keys to the town, the new Tesco was going to be down there at the north end where the funfair takes place

You could have a bus run Chester, Birtley, Lamesley, Valley, Bensham (or up onto Saltwell Road) Gateshead

They did have the Team Valley Clipper at one point

(20 Aug 2021, 8:48 pm)Ambassador The still to be activated 50mph roadwork cameras from Birtley down to Team Valley and vice versa are causing congestion already so folk are already taking alternative routes through Allerdene and Lamesley, it’s probably not any quicker but you get the sense of movement. 

Team Valley is quite interesting, it’s evolved into this hybrid factory-office-local indie style place. Before Gateshead council literally handed them the keys to the town, the new Tesco was going to be down there at the north end where the funfair takes place

But that's it, the works are between Coal House and the Bowes Incline.
Going via Kingsway, doesn't miss anything apart from a couple of cameras that aren't switched on yet.
Looking at the clip on twitter, you can see exactly where the majority of the cars are heading and its not a left hand turn up to the gold medal.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Ambassador - 20 Aug 2021

(20 Aug 2021, 8:51 pm)Andreos1 But that's it, the works are between Coal House and the Bowes Incline.
Going via Kingsway, doesn't miss anything apart from a couple of cameras that aren't switched on yet.
Looking at the clip on twitter, you can see exactly where the majority of the cars are heading and its not a left hand turn up to the gold medal.

the cameras are a nightmare, people are hard braking and it’s causing tailbacks through to the metro centre. 

Didn’t click that this was southbound but yeah it’s been quicker for me to go that way from town through Bensham bank thru the vs,key and up via allerdene into Birtley than sitting on the bypass.

tho I tend to divert via Sainsbury’s or M&S for wine….

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Jimmi - 20 Aug 2021

You're always gonna struggle to tempt car users onto buses, the perception of public transport in the UK is generally poor not helped by media outlets constantly sharing tales of woe, just look at what happened when Northern had the major timetable shake up a few year back, it was a PR disaster only made worse by being on strike every Saturday for several months, the current circumstances causing buses to not turn up isn't helping, two runs on an hourly service not operating with 2 hours standing round Bangor at night unsure when/if a bus will run to get you home is an experience I don't wish to repeat.

The car has much more freedoms whereas public transport feels somewhat restricted in comparison in more than one sense, for example the big one for me is passengers, in a car I have control over almost everything such as the temperature and the stereo, meanwhile whilst those coaches on the X10 may look nice, they somewhat lose their appeal when you're feeling too stuffy and being made to endure grime/MC/whatever out of somebody's phone.

Things like this makes public transport an unappealing option to many, myself included!

(20 Aug 2021, 9:23 pm)Jimmi You're always gonna struggle to tempt car users onto buses, the perception of public transport in the UK is generally poor not helped by media outlets constantly sharing tales of woe, just look at what happened when Northern had the major timetable shake up a few year back, it was a PR disaster only made worse by being on strike every Saturday for several months, the current circumstances causing buses to not turn up isn't helping, two runs on an hourly service not operating with 2 hours standing round Bangor at night unsure when/if a bus will run to get you home is an experience I don't wish to repeat.

The car has much more freedoms whereas public transport feels somewhat restricted in comparison in more than one sense, for example the big one for me is passengers, in a car I have control over almost everything such as the temperature and the stereo, meanwhile whilst those coaches on the X10 may look nice, they somewhat lose their appeal when you're feeling too stuffy and being made to endure grime/MC/whatever out of somebody's phone.

Things like this makes public transport an unappealing option to many, myself included!

One of the things I love about public transport is that the other passengers provide the entertainment!
I used to love it when drunks got on, I remember one time two started a fight because they were arguing over how much drugs to buy when they were on the phone to what seemed like their dealer.

To be honest I also just like listening in on people's conversations, it's much more interesting than anything you listen to on the radio!

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Train8261 - 20 Aug 2021

Seeing it from both sides of the coin

Bus Postive, Use bus lanes instead of stuck in long queue of traffic, A quick change to other links like metro, Gets to places where its hard to park up, it's better for people who have been on the drink, comfortable (up for discussion), mainly for people like myself who are claustrophobic (another up for discussion)

Bus Bad Points, Doesn't get close to your home (say you live in an estate), Having to change buses to get to different places, long queue at bus stations, have a more chance of breakdown(again up for discussion)

Car Postive, gets you closer to your house, makes shopping trips easier, comfortable (same as bus up for discussion), listen to your favourite radio station and have a laugh if something funny is said, gets you to places a bit quicker

Car Bad Points, stuck in traffic jams, not being able to find a parking space at a shopping centre, Constantly having to fuel up, chance of break down (same as bus up for discussion), Can get annoying if someone cuts up in front of you

There's a lot of good and bad points for using a car or bus. One thing I left of was prices. Mainly cause what is cheaper. Using the bus everytime to go to work or shopping or paying of a car

(20 Aug 2021, 9:39 pm)Train8261 Seeing it from both sides of the coin

Bus Postive, Use bus lanes instead of stuck in long queue of traffic, A quick change to other links like metro, Gets to places where its hard to park up, it's better for people who have been on the drink, comfortable (up for discussion), mainly for people like myself who are claustrophobic (another up for discussion)

Bus Bad Points, Doesn't get close to your home (say you live in an estate), Having to change buses to get to different places, long queue at bus stations, have a more chance of breakdown(again up for discussion)

Car Postive, gets you closer to your house, makes shopping trips easier, comfortable (same as bus up for discussion), listen to your favourite radio station and have a laugh if something funny is said, gets you to places a bit quicker

Car Bad Points, stuck in traffic jams, not being able to find a parking space at a shopping centre, Constantly having to fuel up, chance of break down (same as bus up for discussion), Can get annoying if someone cuts up in front of you

There's a lot of good and bad points for using a car or bus. One thing I left of was prices. Mainly cause what is cheaper. Using the bus everytime to go to work or shopping or paying of a car

As with everything, whether the bus works for you depends entirely on your situation. But I do believe that it can work for most people if they actually give it a proper go.

As I've said before, when I moved down to Bishop the number 1 priority for me was having good access to public transport. I overlooked nicer houses that were a longer walk from a bus stop.
So, for me it's literally a 1-2 minute walk to the bus stop. The best part is thanks to GNE extending the X21 to Tindale/West Auckland, I now have a direct service all the way to Newcastle, which is better than when I got the house!

For me, as someone who doesn't have a car, it makes perfect financial sense to use public transport. For the next year and a half at least, at most it'd cost me £68 a month for an All Zone GNE pass. I couldn't even insure a car for that never mind buy one. Even once I turn 26 it'd still only be £95 a month (which I used to pay anyway just to be able to use The Key!)

Obviously, for me the negative is that because of GNE's inability to run a full service for the entirety of the route on evenings or Sundays, I still have to pay for the odd Arriva ticket here and there and wait around in Bishop for half an hour for the X21 to turn up because I'm too cheap to pay for the Arriva 6 all the way to Durham, but it's not really that bad.

As for positives for the car, for me comfort is probably the main one. Obviously the bus is never going to be as comfortable as a reclining heated leather seat with the AC blasting (Yes, I have both on at the same time, shut up), but I'd personally take the ability to get work done over comfort.

Then there's also speed, for the journey that I used to do regularly (Bishop Auckland to Dunston), it takes pretty much spot on 2 hours by bus, but in the car it takes 40 minutes (it can easily be done in 30 minutes driving at 'the speed limit')

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Train8261 - 20 Aug 2021

I think bus companies would profit more if they made more services in areas they need them. But they withdrawn them because a small part of the route isn't used. I remember really well the old X4/X5 by arriva. That passed the Freeman Hospital before it became the X7/X8 and people were pretty annoyed as there wasn't a link to the Hospital without changing services

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - L469 YVK - 21 Aug 2021

(20 Aug 2021, 11:03 pm)Train8261 I think bus companies would profit more if they made more services in areas they need them. But they withdrawn them because a small part of the route isn't used. I remember really well the old X4/X5 by arriva. That passed the Freeman Hospital before it became the X7/X8 and people were pretty annoyed as there wasn't a link to the Hospital without changing services
It was:
- X4 via Church Bank & Gosforth - later reversed back to non stop via Matthews Bank
- X5 via Freeman Hosp - later reversed back to non stop via Matthews Bank. Hospital link replaced by service 52
- X4/X5 both then later re-numbered to X7/X8

To be honest, the reversal was actually one of ANE's more sensible ideas likewise with the 52.

The Northern part of the X8 still needs sorting out though, still too long of a route.

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Dan - 21 Aug 2021

(20 Aug 2021, 9:01 pm)Ambassador the cameras are a nightmare, people are hard braking and it’s causing tailbacks through to the metro centre. 

Didn’t click that this was southbound but yeah it’s been quicker for me to go that way from town through Bensham bank thru the vs,key and up via allerdene into Birtley than sitting on the bypass.

tho I tend to divert via Sainsbury’s or M&S for wine….

Even pre-roadworks, I’d go through Team Valley between 16:00 and 18:00 as it was quicker.

Lots of people do the same. As you say, you have a sense of movement if you divert via Low Fell or Team Valley, rather than being stopped on the bypass itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Train8261 - 21 Aug 2021

(21 Aug 2021, 12:46 am)L469 YVK It was:
- X4 via Church Bank & Gosforth - later reversed back to non stop via Matthews Bank
- X5 via Freeman Hosp - later reversed back to non stop via Matthews Bank. Hospital link replaced by service 52
- X4/X5 both then later re-numbered to X7/X8

To be honest, the reversal was actually one of ANE's more sensible ideas likewise with the 52.

The Northern part of the X8 still needs sorting out though, still too long of a route.
X8 is way to long of a route. Do you even count it as an Express route. Considering its non stop between Matthew Bank and Newcastle

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - omnicity4659 - 21 Aug 2021

I do think that Blyth/Bebside/Cowpen needs an express to Newcastle via the Spine Road. Perhaps make it a circular of Blyth and have it Newcastle-Regent Centre-Newsham-Blyth-Cowpen-Bebside-Regent Centre-Newcastle, and vice versa.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Storx - 21 Aug 2021

(20 Aug 2021, 11:03 pm)Train8261 I think bus companies would profit more if they made more services in areas they need them. But they withdrawn them because a small part of the route isn't used. I remember really well the old X4/X5 by arriva. That passed the Freeman Hospital before it became the X7/X8 and people were pretty annoyed as there wasn't a link to the Hospital without changing services

No they weren't people we're pissed off because they turned bus routes which have took roughly 30 minutes from Seaton Valley to Newcastle with the 363/364 which suddenly turned into 40/45+ minutes, even worse at rush hour while Cramlington had 6 buses an hour going direct. They we're both an absolute disaster and it cost Arriva big time around here as people turned to driving to the Metro and some haven't changed back. For the record I was one of those people and use the Metro much more than the X7 and it's all linked back to that and I know other people who do aswell.

The Freeman never lost it's link though as it was replaced by the 52 and before that it was the Ashington buses which eventually got dumped on the 57/57A, which we never did and still don't want, and lost the link to Rake Lane at the same time which was just as unpopular (both happened roughly the same time).

Stuff like that is the exact cause of the decline of passenger numbers and why bus companies shouldn't piss about with services which have been fine for years, one noticeably still doing it.

(21 Aug 2021, 11:07 am)omnicity4659 I do think that Blyth/Bebside/Cowpen needs an express to Newcastle via the Spine Road. Perhaps make it a circular of Blyth and have it Newcastle-Regent Centre-Newsham-Blyth-Cowpen-Bebside-Regent Centre-Newcastle, and vice versa.

Even known it would probably do alright the catch-22 is you'd take passengers off the X10/X11 and make them unsustainable at 10/15 minutes (not sure it's returning) so you'd end up with empty buses from Blyth to Cramlington as there's not enough demand for a 10 minute service inbetween them.

Mind I do think they should divert the X20 and run it like the old X25/X26 did between Cowpen and Newcastle, the buses clearly aren't sustainable in their current form and it should only add 10 mins or so plus open new links from Ashington to Quorum all day (you could even divert one in the morning via the ministry and cancel the extended 52 runs). Then you could change the 52 to run the X8 route between Burradon and Cramlington so they'd have 3 buses an hour (it's got 9 mins, 1 express and 2 slower then change the X8 to run non-stop from Cowpen to Cramlington and run the 52 route to Burradon and the current route from there should knock a good 10 - 15 minutes off the service. Obviously interworking patterns etc would have to be changed though.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - ASX_Terranova - 21 Aug 2021

(21 Aug 2021, 4:03 pm)Storx No they weren't people we're pissed off because they turned bus routes which have took roughly 30 minutes from Seaton Valley to Newcastle with the 363/364 which suddenly turned into 40/45+ minutes, even worse at rush hour while Cramlington had 6 buses an hour going direct. They we're both an absolute disaster and it cost Arriva big time around here as people turned to driving to the Metro and some haven't changed back. For the record I was one of those people and use the Metro much more than the X7 and it's all linked back to that and I know other people who do aswell.

The Freeman never lost it's link though as it was replaced by the 52 and before that it was the Ashington buses which eventually got dumped on the 57/57A, which we never did and still don't want, and lost the link to Rake Lane at the same time which was just as unpopular (both happened roughly the same time).

Stuff like that is the exact cause of the decline of passenger numbers and why bus companies shouldn't piss about with services which have been fine for years, one noticeably still doing it.

Even known it would probably do alright the catch-22 is you'd take passengers off the X10/X11 and make them unsustainable at 10/15 minutes (not sure it's returning) so you'd end up with empty buses from Blyth to Cramlington as there's not enough demand for a 10 minute service inbetween them.

Mind I do think they should divert the X20 and run it like the old X25/X26 did between Cowpen and Newcastle, the buses clearly aren't sustainable in their current form and it should only add 10 mins or so plus open new links from Ashington to Quorum all day (you could even divert one in the morning via the ministry and cancel the extended 52 runs). Then you could change the 52 to run the X8 route between Burradon and Cramlington so they'd have 3 buses an hour (it's got 9 mins, 1 express and 2 slower then change the X8 to run non-stop from Cowpen to Cramlington and run the 52 route to Burradon and the current route from there should knock a good 10 - 15 minutes off the service. Obviously interworking patterns etc would have to be changed though.
Is the X30 still operating, could they run that all day?