North East Buses
Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers (/showthread.php?tid=2207)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Ambassador - 14 Aug 2021

(14 Aug 2021, 9:20 pm)Dan Is it really?

For every comment that I see that says buses should go back through the estates again, I see others that say the reason why they don’t use the bus is because they’re too slow.

There’s no way the network can cater for everyone’s preferences, clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it’s probably not in a simple term no. GNE and the others really need to focus on getting the basics right. It doesn’t help that nexus and whatever bunch Cllr Gannon heads up are so limited in their thinking and approach. The public transport network in the north east and particularly Tyne and Wear is woefully fragmented and with that lot in charge it won’t change.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - RobinHood - 15 Aug 2021

(14 Aug 2021, 10:04 pm)Ambassador it’s probably not in a simple term no. GNE and the others really need to focus on getting the basics right. It doesn’t help that nexus and whatever bunch Cllr Gannon heads up are so limited in their thinking and approach. The public transport network in the north east and particularly Tyne and Wear is woefully fragmented and with that lot in charge it won’t change.

What needs to happen is for every local authority in the region to actually put in place bus priority measures that make a significant dent into current journey times. A 100m stretch of bus lane here and there really isnt going to cut it. If the bus was reliable, fast and dependable - most people wouldn't really care about the Wifi/Next Stop/Livery etc. They would choose the bus due to speed and access.

Unfortunately, none of local authorities have a backbone to do this as they are too scared to lose the political vote that comes from the car owner. Lets hope the National Bus Strategy calls them out on it, as I understand it, the biggest and boldest ideas are most likely to be funded first (so they cannot claim money will be an issue).

Another issue for me are Clean Air Zones. Why do buses need to be Euro 6 but cars don't? Makes no sense. The bus operators should be incentivised to upgrade (better BSOG rates etc) but the car should be simply banned from core areas of the city (generally speaking, appreciate the numerous variables at play).

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Driver9*** - 15 Aug 2021

(14 Aug 2021, 9:14 pm)ASX_Terranova Best way to reverse passenger decline is to put services back into the estates, rather than just the village centres or Main Roads. I can remember the GNE Metroriders weaving through Washington.
That'll never happen again, the operator would have to run 50% more buses just to pick up 20% extra passengers. 

When I started at Arriva they had numerous minibuses plowing through estates whilst the big buses that went past the outskirts of said estates were carrying fresh air, the penny finally dropped at the silliness of doing this around about 2010ish........

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Andreos1 - 15 Aug 2021

(15 Aug 2021, 10:05 am)RobinHood What needs to happen is for every local authority in the region to actually put in place bus priority measures that make a significant dent into current journey times. A 100m stretch of bus lane here and there really isnt going to cut it. If the bus was reliable, fast and dependable - most people wouldn't really care about the Wifi/Next Stop/Livery etc. They would choose the bus due to speed and access.

Unfortunately, none of local authorities have a backbone to do this as they are too scared to lose the political vote that comes from the car owner. Lets hope the National Bus Strategy calls them out on it, as I understand it, the biggest and boldest ideas are most likely to be funded first (so they cannot claim money will be an issue).

Another issue for me are Clean Air Zones. Why do buses need to be Euro 6 but cars don't? Makes no sense. The bus operators should be incentivised to upgrade (better BSOG rates etc) but the car should be simply banned from core areas of the city (generally speaking, appreciate the numerous variables at play).

You can stick as many bus lanes and priority measures as you want. Unless the bus goes where the people are going, bus lanes are pretty much pointless.
Banning cars from city centres, isn't going to do anything other than encourage car users to go elsewhere.

(15 Aug 2021, 10:27 am)Driver9*** That'll never happen again, the operator would have to run 50% more buses just to pick up 20% extra passengers. 

When I started at Arriva they had numerous minibuses plowing through estates whilst the big buses that went past the outskirts of said estates were carrying fresh air, the penny finally dropped at the silliness of doing this around about 2010ish........

Were those minibuses taking the residents of the estates to places the residents needed to go? Or where the operators thought they wanted to be.

Having a minibus go from an estate to Whitley Bay, when residents are travelling to drop the kids off and then heading in the opposite direction, to get to work - was never the brightest idea.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Driver9*** - 15 Aug 2021

(15 Aug 2021, 10:41 am)Andreos1 You can stick as many bus lanes and priority measures as you want. Unless the bus goes where the people are going, bus lanes are pretty much pointless.
Banning cars from city centres, isn't going to do anything other than encourage car users to go elsewhere.

Were those minibuses taking the residents of the estates to places the residents needed to go? Or where the operators thought they wanted to be.

Having a minibus go from an estate to Whitley Bay, when residents are travelling to drop the kids off and then heading in the opposite direction, to get to work - was never the brightest idea.
Mostly pensioners into the town centre for their bread and milk.

(15 Aug 2021, 10:53 am)Driver9*** Mostly pensioners into the town centre for their bread and milk.

Exactly. 
Easier cancelling it, than adapt it to suit the needs of the market.
No wonder it carried fresh air.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - MurdnunoC - 15 Aug 2021

(15 Aug 2021, 10:41 am)Andreos1 You can stick as many bus lanes and priority measures as you want. Unless the bus goes where the people are going, bus lanes are pretty much pointless.

Bus lanes are pretty pointless when a council changes the road layout to such an extent where it becomes more hassle for a bus to use the bus lane rather than the roads the bus lane is meant to avoid.

Gateshead Council, in particular, must be singled out for this. The idea of the Centrelink was to allow the X66 to run traffic-free from the Teams into the centre of Gateshead. Now, with the closure of Hills Street and the bottom of West Street to buses, and the multitude of traffic lights which stand in the way between the bottom of Prince Consort Road and Pipewellgate, why would any driver driving the X66 use Centrelink towards the Metrocentre? It's easier and quicker to use Askew Road. It's slightly better heading into Gateshead, I guess, but it used to be a lot easier when buses coming from the direction of the High Level Bridge were allowed to use West Street and filter into the Interchange from Prince Consort Road. As an alleged bus priority measure, it's an absolute mess as it stands now.

Whenever you see council chiefs such as Martin Gannon (or whomever) standing with directors of bus companies such as Martijn Gilbert (or whomever) announcing the latest initiative to encourage people to use public transport, it's pretty hard to take whatever they say seriously as we've heard it all before. It always comes across as a cynical publicity stunt to raise the public profile of each without anyone actually committing or delivering anything of note. It doesn't convince me, it probably won't convince anyone else either.

(15 Aug 2021, 12:40 pm)MurdnunoC Bus lanes are pretty pointless when a council changes the road layout to such an extent where it becomes more hassle for a bus to use the bus lane rather than the roads the bus lane is meant to avoid.

Gateshead Council, in particular, must be singled out for this. The idea of the Centrelink was to allow the X66 to run traffic-free from the Teams into the centre of Gateshead. Now, with the closure of Hills Street and the bottom of West Street to buses, and the multitude of traffic lights which stand in the way between the bottom of Prince Consort Road and Pipewellgate, why would any driver driving the X66 use Centrelink towards the Metrocentre? It's easier and quicker to use Askew Road. It's slightly better heading into Gateshead, I guess, but it used to be a lot easier when buses coming from the direction of the High Level Bridge were allowed to use West Street and filter into the Interchange from Prince Consort Road. As an alleged bus priority measure, it's an absolute mess as it stands now.

Whenever you see council chiefs such as Martin Gannon (or whomever) standing with directors of bus companies such as Martijn Gilbert (or whomever) announcing the latest initiative to encourage people to use public transport, it's pretty hard to take whatever they say seriously as we've heard it all before. It always comes across as a cynical publicity stunt to raise the public profile of each without anyone actually committing or delivering anything of note. It doesn't convince me, it probably won't convince anyone else either.

Good points well made, all of which highlight the apparent lack of communication, foresight or long term thinking - between bodies seemingly desperate to work together.

These photoshoots might allow for self-congratulatory back pats, but like you - they don't convince me either.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - mb134 - 15 Aug 2021

(15 Aug 2021, 1:43 pm)Andreos1 These photoshoots might allow for self-congratulatory back pats, but like you - they don't convince me either.

There must be some sort of competition of how many buzzwords they can fit into each new press release. Lots of those buzzwords are similar to those which this government have been using for years, and people tend not to believe a word they say either.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - MurdnunoC - 17 Aug 2021

Transport for the North boss calls for debate on raising cost of driving

Obviously, as a car user, I should declare an interest in opposing such a measure, but I don't think the solution as to how you might encourage people to use public transport lies in pricing motorists off the road in an attempt to force them to switch. For me, the choice should remain with the user otherwise cars are destined to become the preserve of the rich and powerful. Obviously there is a ecological argument to be had against motor-vehicles powered by fossil fuels but what happens if (or when) the majority of motor-vehicles are powered by electricity or other means. Is it fair to penalise motorists if that ever becomes the case?

Thoughts?

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - stagecoachbusdepot - 17 Aug 2021

(17 Aug 2021, 3:48 pm)MurdnunoC Transport for the North boss calls for debate on raising cost of driving

Obviously, as a car user, I should declare an interest in opposing such a measure, but I don't think the solution as to how you might encourage people to use public transport lies in pricing motorists off the road in an attempt to force them to switch. For me, the choice should remain with the user otherwise cars are destined to become the preserve of the rich and powerful. Obviously there is a ecological argument to be had against motor-vehicles powered by fossil fuels but what happens if (or when) the majority of motor-vehicles are powered by electricity or other means. Is it fair to penalise motorists if that ever becomes the case?

Thoughts?

Talk about race to the bottom... the only idea they have to improve the appeal of public transport is to make the alternative worse?  What's the opposite of progress?  Idiots.

Let's make car journeys more expensive, while at the same time slashing bus networks and referring to the North as anywhere south of Leeds and north of the M25.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Andreos1 - 17 Aug 2021

(17 Aug 2021, 3:48 pm)MurdnunoC Transport for the North boss calls for debate on raising cost of driving

Thoughts?

I've not read the link yet, but it's pretty standard fare from an organisation with a particular agenda.
It's the easy option, that lacks imagination or creativity. 

If that's as creative and innovative they can get... Well aye.
Sad times.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - ASX_Terranova - 17 Aug 2021

You can't force people out of their cars but I think electric cars will fry the National Grid. So if people want to keep using items such as TV's, Computers, etc... they might have to.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - streetdeckfan - 17 Aug 2021

(17 Aug 2021, 7:03 pm)ASX_Terranova You can't force people out of their cars but I think electric cars will fry the National Grid. So if people want to keep using items such as TV's, Computers, etc... they might have to.
Not necessarily, there is plenty of capacity in the grid, just not at peak times. In fact, there is quite a surplus of power at night to the point where energy companies such as Octopus pay customers to use it, which is why they're popular with EV owners.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Adrian - 17 Aug 2021

Thoughts?

To be honest, this comes across as nothing more than an effort by the TfN boss to generate some cheap heat. It actually takes the focus off a genuine issue of making public transport better and cheaper, because all anyone will focus on is a desire to apply more taxes to motorists.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul is not the answer. It's not going to force motorists out of their cars. If anything, it'll result in motorists having less money in their pocket, which has a wider knock-on impact on the rest of the economy - and less money to use public transport with...

(17 Aug 2021, 7:03 pm)ASX_Terranova You can't force people out of their cars but I think electric cars will fry the National Grid. So if people want to keep using items such as TV's, Computers, etc... they might have to.

It'll only 'fry' the National Grid if we continue to not properly invest in national infrastructure. 

The Government have lofty ambitions of making the UK a 'world leader' in green energy, but 2050 is too far down the line and unfortunately I take their soundbites with a pinch of salt.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - BusLoverMum - 17 Aug 2021

Making driving more expensive just punishes people and families on low incomes who can't afford to run anything more than a banger, anyhow, but can't afford bus fare, possibly times 2 to get to work - or work somewhere not well served by public transport. Husband's office is in a business park a good 15 minutes walk from the nearest active bus stop, not that he can get there for an 8am start, by bus, anyhow. Admittedly his commute is long, Durham to Teesside, but we moved closer to littlun's special school because he struggles with long journeys. (thank fudge for working from home!)

I certainly can't see people being desperate to use the bus in Durham, if they don't have to, for a while. Had to make another visit to the optician's, this afternoon and while it's a nice walk in, I'm too sore and arthritic to manage the uphill slog home again, at the moment, so decided to catch the bus home. There was a 21 in but a massive queue for it. Never mind, anything that takes me up to the hospital is welcome. Fought my way through the crowds on North Road and just missed a 16. Kept going and just missed a 62 and then an X20. Annoyingly, the X20 didn't get very far as it got stuck in a queue, not helped by a broken down E200 on the 49a. Eventually a 64 turned up (they're on reduced frequency, at the moment) and it was a JH president. It had to stop in the road because the bus stop was blocked in. And it's a good thing I took my handbag and not just my card wallet because they're cash only. That'll catch a lot of people out.

There's a couple of rapid chargers in view of my house. Installed 3 years ago. I've seen them in use twice.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - MurdnunoC - 18 Aug 2021

Having just purchased a new (used) car, an electric vehicle was something I briefly considered. However the costs outweigh the benefits at present and until there's significant investment in the overall infrastructure combined with a reduction of the initial outlay (for me, personally, the car and the driveway I'll need to install a charging point), I feel owning an electric vehicle will be outside of the financial reach of many.

Battery technology seems to be improving on electric vehicles which means that other prohibitive factor, range anxiety, will become less over time. The cost of charging isn't too bad at present and, providing you have a driveway and charging point at home, it can pretty cheap overall on selective tarriffs as Streetdeckfan points out above.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Ambassador - 18 Aug 2021

(18 Aug 2021, 9:31 am)MurdnunoC Having just purchased a new (used) car, an electric vehicle was something I briefly considered. However the costs outweigh the benefits at present and until there's significant investment in the overall infrastructure combined with a reduction of the initial outlay (for me, personally, the car and the driveway I'll need to install a charging point), I feel owning an electric vehicle will be outside of the financial reach of many.

Battery technology seems to be improving on electric vehicles which means that other prohibitive factor, range anxiety, will become less over time. The cost of charging isn't too bad at present and, providing you have a driveway and charging point at home, it can pretty cheap overall on selective tarriffs as Streetdeckfan points out above.

I've just purchased one through work and in honesty I did it for the massive tax write off that accompanies it with Leaseplan.

Got the charging point installed for £400 - again through a work referral though I've sent it for £449 without. Not really noticing much difference in electric costs, certainly cheaper than filling up in Costco where I used to go.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - streetdeckfan - 18 Aug 2021

(18 Aug 2021, 11:18 am)Ambassador I've just purchased one through work and in honesty I did it for the massive tax write off that accompanies it with Leaseplan.

Got the charging point installed for £400 - again through a work referral though I've sent it for £449 without. Not really noticing much difference in electric costs, certainly cheaper than filling up in Costco where I used to go.

My mother has been looking at getting an EV for years now, but due to the near 4m drop from the road to the house it's physically impossible to charge at home. 
I'm lucky in that I can have off road parking, so if I ever decide to get a car, it will be electric.

And to be honest, even today I've been considering actually learning to drive.
Since the last X21 from Gateshead to Bishop now leaves at ~9:30pm, it's been an absolute pain trying to go to the cinema with friends. One finishes work at 6:30pm, and really the latest a film can start for it to end in time for me to catch the last bus is 7pm, so there's literally like 2 options available.

In the past it would have been fine since I believe the last bus left ~11pm, but since they haven't put the later buses back on I'm a bit screwed!

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - omnicity4659 - 18 Aug 2021

I think that public transport organisations need to consult with car drivers about what would attract them out of their cars, rather than guess (in some cases, pretty badly) what they want. I couldn't care less if the bus is "posher than my car" or if it's "the green machine". I want to travel by the quickest and cheapest way possible.

In terms of cost, as an existing car driver when travelling to Newcastle, it's actually cheaper for me to use a Metro park and ride if travelling alone, or to drive into the city centre if I'm sharing the journey. I've broken down the costs of each mode of transport to show how poor value for money the bus is.

Metro park and ride
  • drive to Northumberland Park | 20 minutes | £2.40 in diesel (round-trip)
  • park, walk and wait for the Metro | average 5-10 minutes | £1.20 parking fee
  • take the Metro to Haymarket | 17 minutes | £3.75 return with Pop PAYG
    total journey time 42-47 minutes, total cost £7.35, two people (sharing cost of fuel and parking, add £3.75 Metro ticket) £5.55 per person

Arriva bus
  • walk to bus stop and wait for X21 | 5 minutes
  • take the X21 to Haymarket | 55 minutes | £7.50 return
    total journey time 60 minutes, total cost £7.50, two people (sharing cost with duo ticket) £7.25 per person

Driving into the city centre (cheapest car park)
  • drive to St James' MSCP | average 30-35 minutes | £3.64 in diesel (round-trip)
  • find a parking space and pay for parking | 5 minutes | £0.80 per hour (£4.00 for 5 hours)
  • walk to Haymarket | 10 minutes
    total journey time 45-50 minutes, total cost £7.64, two people (sharing cost) £3.82 per person

Bus operators need to work on bringing their prices down, matching the specifications of cars, providing consistent levels of service and providing a similar journey time between major towns and cities, otherwise car drivers will not be interested. Instead, the one company actively marketing themselves, are focusing on claiming to be "better than ever", pushing anti-car messaging or promoting their green credentials - is this something that a car driver will actually care about?