North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2019 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2019 (/showthread.php?tid=2216)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - Dan - 07 Apr 2019

(07 Apr 2019, 7:32 pm)Stanleyone Omnicities are terrible for rattles, hopefully these Mercs won’t be as bad.

I've driven 5481, 5486 and 5487 of that batch, plus one of the others previously based at Saltmeadows.

They seem a bit of a mixed bag, but largely rattle-free, quite quick off the mark, and all very warm (so I'd be happy as a driver!) They're all limited to 50mph but shouldn't ever need to exceed that speed on the X30 anyway.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - Michael - 07 Apr 2019

(07 Apr 2019, 7:31 pm)Dan Confirms nothing - I'm just commenting on the lack of any major changes for quite some time now. There's been a pretty stable network over the last year or two, changes few and far between.

Arriva and Stagecoach in the meantime have had quite a few major changes (some admittedly have been improvements) - just look at the 12 in Sunderland being re-routed to compete with the Go North East 56, then reverted back to its original route some three to six months later...

Ye the 8 and 36 both seem to be working, its the only two Go North East services near my work

So hopefully if they're changing, it won't be major...

Edit:

Who has the last say in changes to services?, how much imput does the MD have in it?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - JP6004 - 07 Apr 2019

(07 Apr 2019, 7:00 pm)N1cholas time for the guessing to start  Big Grin

We had email atvwork regarding the Prince Bishops

20 reduced to every 12mins
20A scrapped
X20 every 30mins between Sunderland and Durham.

Dont know if these changes are confirmed but that was the changes proposed. Also 35 to run via Rainton every 30mins during the day

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - Michael - 07 Apr 2019

(07 Apr 2019, 8:00 pm)JP6004 We had email atvwork regarding the Prince Bishops

20A scrapped

Dont know if these changes are confirmed but that was the changes proposed. Also 35 to run via Rainton every 30mins during the day

20 PVR would be 16
X20 PVR would be 4

So PVR i think would be the same.

I would imagine the PVR for the 35 would go up by one

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - Arcticrossy92 - 07 Apr 2019

(07 Apr 2019, 7:21 pm)Dan They've seen an increasing amount of use at Riverside and Washington on normal service work anyway.

They aren't too shabby inside, and are actually better from a passenger point of view than the OmniCitys they're replacing (fitted with USB sockets, bit more legroom, 2+1 seating, etc).

Didn't realise they had USB sockets! Bonus eh!

I'm assuming with the Toonlink branding being diluted that going forward these will either be repainted or the brand is being dropped for something else. Hopefully get to ride on one of these if they ever stray onto the Consett services.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - N1cholas - 07 Apr 2019

20A scrapped

Im glad it missed the rest of the changes off  Tongue

(07 Apr 2019, 8:39 pm)N1cholas Im glad it missed the rest of the changes off  Tongue

Any hints then, since you keep going on about how you know the changes? Wink

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - N1cholas - 07 Apr 2019

(07 Apr 2019, 8:57 pm)Michael Any hints then, since you keep going on about how you know the changes? Wink

no you will have to wait......... Angel

but if your really interested this one will go that way, this one will change to that one, the other one will be scrapped, another two will run onto another one   Big Grin

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - Andreos1 - 07 Apr 2019

(07 Apr 2019, 7:17 pm)Dan When were the last major changes in North Sunderland..? Go North East have had a pretty stable network for quite some time now, especially when compared to Stagecoach in the same area...  Huh

I'm sure you'll be a fan of what's to come!  Angel

Do they really need five life-expired Volvo B7RLEs?

Just perception (hence 'seemingly').
Lost track of all the changes and revisions over the years and I have very little to do with the area. 
It would be interesting to think what people living in the area, actually perceive the service to be. 

20A scrapped

Assuming the 35 picks up the route of the 20A between Houghton and Rainton Bridge and works in tandem with the X20, then the frequency on that stretch will be better than it is at the moment. 

Hoping my change in circumstances and not paying all those £4 odd fares like I used to, hasn't damaged the 20A too much!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - Stanleyone - 08 Apr 2019

(07 Apr 2019, 7:35 pm)Dan I've driven 5481, 5486 and 5487 of that batch, plus one of the others previously based at Saltmeadows.

They seem a bit of a mixed bag, but largely rattle-free, quite quick off the mark, and all very warm (so I'd be happy as a driver!) They're all limited to 50mph but shouldn't ever need to exceed that speed on the X30 anyway.

Think the X doesn’t really belong on the X30 as there are no express parts on the route, only part that we can in theory get the foot down is between kip hill and sunnisde, something which some of the Omnicities were only to glad to do. However most of Consett drivers are pleased to see the back of the Omnicities

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - JP6004 - 08 Apr 2019

Heard X1 on fire today at Sheriff Hill.....anyone confirm?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - Ds1197 - 08 Apr 2019

Seems the X30 not been operated by Toonlink branded buses confuses some people

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - OrangeArrow49 - 08 Apr 2019

(08 Apr 2019, 6:05 pm)Ds1197 Seems the X30 not been operated by Toonlink branded buses confuses some people

It takes some getting used to when you become familiar with a certain brand.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - ne14ne1 - 08 Apr 2019

For the buses with destination controllers which can update the screens at a set location, I don't get why you'd sacrifice a full screen final destination point, e.g 'Market Street' or 'Haymarket', just to make room for 'up to every 10 mins'. Is that really more helpful to passengers than being able to easily read the destination as the bus approaches?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - Dan - 08 Apr 2019

(08 Apr 2019, 8:21 pm)ne14ne1 For the buses with destination controllers which can update the screens at a set location, I don't get why you'd sacrifice a full screen final destination point, e.g 'Market Street' or 'Haymarket', just to make room for 'up to every 10 mins'. Is that really more helpful to passengers than being able to easily read the destination as the bus approaches?

I know you feel quite strongly about this, as has been proven by your recent posts, but it makes perfect sense: to promote the services to people who aren't currently bus users. If these promotional messages appeal to said non bus users, it could get these people travelling by bus. Is that not a good thing? Low fares, high frequency services, convenience (contactless payments etc) are all great things to promote.

The terminal point on the new displays is just four LEDs smaller in terms of height, compared to the previous. There's not a lot in it actually. The perception is that it's much smaller just because of the via point being present, but this is essentially just using the space which was otherwise blank. It's really not vastly different in terms of clarity.

The majority of feedback received thus far is positive - the removal of via points originally was much more of a controversial move.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - BeachBoy99 - 09 Apr 2019

(08 Apr 2019, 9:19 pm)Dan I know you feel quite strongly about this, as has been proven by your recent posts, but it makes perfect sense: to promote the services to people who aren't currently bus users. If these promotional messages appeal to said non bus users, it could get these people travelling by bus. Is that not a good thing? Low fares, high frequency services, convenience (contactless payments etc) are all great things to promote.

The terminal point on the new displays is just four LEDs smaller in terms of height, compared to the previous. There's not a lot in it actually. The perception is that it's much smaller just because of the via point being present, but this is essentially just using the space which was otherwise blank. It's really not vastly different in terms of clarity.

The majority of feedback received thus far is positive - the removal of via points originally was much more of a controversial move.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I absolutely love the new displays. As much as I liked them with only the terminal point, they did become confusing at various places i.e. Dalton Park which only has one stop in a turning circle. The static displays that include the via points are so much better. I'm over the moon you've brought them back and they are so much better now than the previous ones that had the awful scrolling via points. I also love the modern, bold font for the terminating point and I can't wait for this to be rolled out onto the remaining services. GNE, you've upped your game once again  Smile

Also Dan, I have some feedback about the displays whilst you're in the process of changing them: you should have a go at displaying the route numbers in the font associated with each brand in the same way you have already done with the X1, X9|X10 and the 4. For instance with The Crusader 27 (just something I made quickly) 
.png
Screenshot 2019-04-09 at 01.19.44.png
Size 44.7 KB / Downloads 8

...that WOULD be something to see if it was possible! Keep Arial as the standard route number for Go North East services, though.

Just another thought to make your brand stand out even more than the others. Arriva's are rubbish; Stagecoach's are rubbish. Yours are fantastic and would be even more incredible with this feature!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - Stanleyone - 09 Apr 2019

[quote="N1cholas" pid='227724' dateline='1554670719']

Changes released internally, we know the Consett depot changes will only be timing, not to those services already changed on Sunday...would imagine these changes for Chester le Street, Deptford and Percy Main depots will be released online sooner than the 7th April as there’s some big changes.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - Michael - 09 Apr 2019

(09 Apr 2019, 4:28 am)Stanleyone [quote="N1cholas" pid='227724' dateline='1554670719']

Changes released internally, we know the Consett depot changes will only be timing, not to those services already changed on Sunday...would imagine these changes for Chester le Street, Deptford and Percy Main depots will be released online sooner than the 7th April as there’s some big changes.

9th April now though

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - Dan - 09 Apr 2019

(09 Apr 2019, 12:01 am)BeachBoy99 I absolutely love the new displays. As much as I liked them with only the terminal point, they did become confusing at various places i.e. Dalton Park which only has one stop in a turning circle. The static displays that include the via points are so much better. I'm over the moon you've brought them back and they are so much better now than the previous ones that had the awful scrolling via points. I also love the modern, bold font for the terminating point and I can't wait for this to be rolled out onto the remaining services. GNE, you've upped your game once again  Smile

Also Dan, I have some feedback about the displays whilst you're in the process of changing them: you should have a go at displaying the route numbers in the font associated with each brand in the same way you have already done with the X1, X9|X10 and the 4. For instance with The Crusader 27 (just something I made quickly) 

...that WOULD be something to see if it was possible! Keep Arial as the standard route number for Go North East services, though.

Just another thought to make your brand stand out even more than the others. Arriva's are rubbish; Stagecoach's are rubbish. Yours are fantastic and would be even more incredible with this feature!

Good stuff!

It's been a team effort with a lot of discussion internally to use the displays as effectively as possible - there's no right or wrong way of doing them and I don't think the Arriva or Stagecoach displays are bad really. Certainly the latter have also worked on trying to create a solution like Go North East whereby they increase the font size for the terminal point whilst having static via points which aren't as difficult to read as scrolling via points.

We know the Arial route numbers look great and really stand out as the bus approaches you, the rest was just getting the right balance of the terminal point being large enough to still be legible from a distance, but also have enough space for a small via point or two.

The route numbers are something we can look at into in the future.  Smile

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019 - S813 FVK - 09 Apr 2019

My only slight criticism of the displays is that I think the via points could be padded out a bit more. I think some of them are very limited at the moment.

As an example, service 8 appears to just show a static 'via Chester-le-Street' in both directions. To aid with the route number in distinguishing the route between the 8 and 78, I think the addition of the likes of Beamish and Washington wouldn't go amiss.

Could also suggest alternating screens between the via points and the exact location that the bus terminates at, much like was done with the old scrolling format ('Eldon Square via... etc').