North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 (/showthread.php?tid=2277)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - streetdeckfan - 23 Jul 2019

(23 Jul 2019, 9:30 am)cbma06 GNE been doing that for years, so there can see what kinda ticket you buy and your travel patterns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know with my Key card I can look at my journey history online

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Andreos1 - 23 Jul 2019

(23 Jul 2019, 9:23 am)Rob44 really? So in theory they would be able to see where i traveled with the ticket?

In theory, aye. There's all sorts of things they can do and check. Hence my comments earlier about the removal of the QR codes from return tickets.

They're missing a trick there and potentially making a lot of assumptions.

Ditto when using a Day Rover or Explorer. They've no idea how you got from A-B when using a competitors service, the metro or ferry.

Again, missing a trick and not being able to really drill down on the travel patterns, that could ultimately make a passengers journey easier.

(23 Jul 2019, 9:30 am)cbma06 GNE been doing that for years, so there can see what kinda ticket you buy and your travel patterns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I've said it before, but I wonder how much damage was done with the 2006 changes (when technology wasn't as advanced) and the changes in travel patterns since then. Not necessarily natural changes either, but forced by streamlining of services.

There's nothing to find out why numbers have fallen in the intervening years or why the removal of one direct service may have impacted on the decision of someone to not bother paying the increased fare (in some cases doubled following the removal of the T&W ticket) and be inconvenienced with having to make a couple of changes.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Rob44 - 23 Jul 2019

HMM interesting.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Andreos1 - 23 Jul 2019

(23 Jul 2019, 11:46 am)Rob44 HMM interesting.

There's mention on the ticketer website about how quick the process can actually be.

https://www.ticketer.co.uk/case-study/reading-buses-ticket-to-the-max/

So as I said earlier, to remove the option from return tickets, doesn't (to me anyway) seem to make much sense from a data gathering perspective.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Dan - 23 Jul 2019

(23 Jul 2019, 2:05 am)omnicity4659

It's not difficult as Arriva had the machines updated (hence why they no longer rip QRs) to make sure that reused returns got rejected, it's the same at a few other companies too.

Is this speculation or fact? I'd assume the former, as Adrian was correct in his last post.

The loss of passenger trend data will be a big miss - but as the majority of returns are now capped at day ticket prices, drivers ought to be selling day tickets anyway (so Go North East will still have this data).

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Rob44 - 23 Jul 2019

Dan - do passengers have a choice whether to consent to their data being used? Its fare enough if you use cash to buy it but when using a debit/credit card you (go north east) know the persons details and which areas they've visited ald day? That's why i though all purple day tickets would have the same QR code so ones personal data couldn't be tracked?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - BusLoverMum - 23 Jul 2019

(23 Jul 2019, 6:58 pm)Rob44 Dan - do passengers have a choice whether to consent to their data being used? Its fare enough if you use cash to buy it but when using a debit/credit card you (go north east) know the persons details and which areas they've visited ald day? That's why i though all purple day tickets would have the same QR code so ones personal data couldn't be tracked?

That's easily circumvented by data anonymisation. It's standard protocol for all this sort of data gathering, eg that done by traffic cameras.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - XUP254F - 23 Jul 2019

I have always assumed every ticket has unique QR code and could be tracked as it would encode all the data on the ticket.
A standard QR code can store up to 4,296 alphanumeric characters.
If you include all the info from a ticket like date, route no, vehicle no, driver no, machine no, trip ID, ticket no, ticket type, you could do this in less than 50 characters so you are only using just over 1% of the space unless there is built in redundancy with multiple copies of each parameter.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - omnicity4659 - 24 Jul 2019

(23 Jul 2019, 5:25 pm)Dan

Is this speculation or fact? I'd assume the former, as Adrian was correct in his last post.

The loss of passenger trend data will be a big miss - but as the majority of returns are now capped at day ticket prices, drivers ought to be selling day tickets anyway (so Go North East will still have this data).

It is indeed fact, been many a time when I've seen people attempting to reuse their returns to be met with the rejected tone.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Dan - 24 Jul 2019

(24 Jul 2019, 12:46 am)omnicity4659

It is indeed fact, been many a time when I've seen people attempting to reuse their returns to be met with the rejected tone.

That's more likely to be pass back rejecting it, not the QR code itself. Trust me, it's not possible.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Rob44 - 24 Jul 2019

(23 Jul 2019, 7:32 pm)BusLoverMum

That's easily circumvented by data anonymisation. It's standard protocol for all this sort of data gathering, eg that done by traffic cameras.

Fair enough... you know more then me about it.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - BusLoverMum - 24 Jul 2019

(24 Jul 2019, 8:25 am)Rob44

Fair enough... you know more then me about it.

It's the sort of stuff that Husband does as part of his job Smile

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - S830OFT - 24 Jul 2019

Did 9072 - 74 go back to EYMS?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Rob44 - 25 Jul 2019

On my way to work today passed the 28a on its way to Chester Le Street - not unusual you may think but it was missing out Kibblesworth completely! It was 15 minutes late but go luck to anyone waiting at the 5 bus stops its missed out

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Dan - 25 Jul 2019

(24 Jul 2019, 7:46 pm)S830OFT Did 9072 - 74 go back to EYMS?

No, withdrawn at Go North East currently.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - MrBoyt - 25 Jul 2019

(23 Jul 2019, 10:00 am)Andreos1

I think I've said it before, but I wonder how much damage was done with the 2006 changes (when technology wasn't as advanced) and the changes in travel patterns since then...

Do you know where I could find information about the network in the early '00s, like a route map for example? Always been intrigued how different it was

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Michael - 25 Jul 2019

(25 Jul 2019, 6:36 pm)MrBoyt

Do you know where I could find information about the network in the early '00s, like a route map for example? Always been intrigued how different it was

Bygone era?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - GNE6312 - 25 Jul 2019

What will be allocated to the A1/A2/PR1/PR2/PR3 this weekend?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Michael - 25 Jul 2019

(25 Jul 2019, 7:20 pm)GNE6312 What will be allocated to the A1/A2/PR1/PR2/PR3 this weekend?

Probables all the duel door deckers, presidents and anything else spare.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Andreos1 - 25 Jul 2019

(25 Jul 2019, 6:36 pm)MrBoyt

Adrian had a cracking example of the before and after Washington network.

Not sure whether it is in the Bygone Era or not.

There should be some old network maps in there though and it's maybe possibly to compare then to now that way.

However, if you're wanting to know about services in a specific area, I'm sure there's enough knowledge on here to detail the before/after.