North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 (/showthread.php?tid=2277)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - streetdeckfan - 13 Jul 2019

(13 Jul 2019, 3:04 pm)Jimmi Think all the Angel buses have this now along with some other features like streaming stuff but the Audible trial thing ends up popping up a few times whilst trying to connect to the WiFi network itself which is rather irritating

I've had a play around and it seems like quite a good idea, especially with the free magazines, shame there's no good ones though!

There's no need for the full screen pop up when there's already a banner at the top and it's most of the images on the carrousel.

I wonder why they chose to install it on the Angel buses first, the journey time isn't really long enough to take advantage of it

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Michael - 15 Jul 2019

Better Fares from 21 July

We're changing our travel zones to make 4 simple GoZones, meaning you can travel further with your ticket. There will be two simple choices – one zone or all zones – many of which have been reduced to make your money go further.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/better-fares/

According to GNE,

No, Washington will now be included in both the purple and the red zone (depending on which way you want to travel)

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Andreos1 - 15 Jul 2019

(15 Jul 2019, 1:21 pm)Michael Better Fares from 21 July

We're changing our travel zones to make 4 simple GoZones, meaning you can travel further with your ticket. There will be two simple choices – one zone or all zones – many of which have been reduced to make your money go further.

Who is gonna do the maths to see the winners and losers?

My own immediate thoughts:

* It seems strange that Birtley isn't included in the Gateshead zone, but is included in Chester le Street Zone. Apart from it being in Gateshead, it's also in Nexus land.

* It needs to be made clear that the X9/10 plus tickets are (or maybe they're not), available to purchase on other services.

(15 Jul 2019, 1:46 pm)Andreos1

* It seems strange that Birtley isn't included in the Gateshead zone, but is included in Chester le Street Zone. Apart from it being in Gateshead, it's also in Nexus land.

* It needs to be made clear that the X9/10 plus tickets are (or maybe they're not), available to purchase on other services.

Red Zone seems decent now, means i can go to Washington on one ticket, as the red is valid the galleries only by the sounds of it.... and to Dalton Park, Hartlepool.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - streetdeckfan - 15 Jul 2019

(15 Jul 2019, 1:21 pm)Michael Better Fares from 21 July

According to GNE,

No, Washington will now be included in both the purple and the red zone (depending on which way you want to travel)

So my ticket will be going down from £110 a month to £95 a month, but I'll lose the ability to travel on the X9/X10, which I'm not too fussed about really. I'd be curious to see if we can still use the X9/X10 to go between Gateshead and Newcastle as I usually just grab which ever turns up first.

(15 Jul 2019, 2:07 pm)streetdeckfan

So my ticket will be going down from £110 a month to £95 a month, but I'll lose the ability to travel on the X9/X10, which I'm not too fussed about really. I'd be curious to see if we can still use the X9/X10 to go between Gateshead and Newcastle as I usually just grab which ever turns up first.

I would imagine you could, can't see why not?, double check though.

By the looks of it, to travel the full route, you need the "X9 | X10 Plus" ticket, which is valid on all Go North East Services

https://assets.goaheadbus.com/media/cms_page_media/3840/X9_X10.pdf

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - streetdeckfan - 15 Jul 2019

(15 Jul 2019, 2:14 pm)Michael I would imagine you could, can't see why not?, double check though.

By the looks of it, to travel the full route, you need the "X9 | X10 Plus" ticket, which is valid on all Go North East Services

https://assets.goaheadbus.com/media/cms_page_media/3840/X9_X10.pdf

So, according to customer services, I'd need an X9/X10 ticket for this journey, which is a shame, but I imagine it is to stop people people boarding saying they're going to Gateshead, then staying on.

If I used the X9/X10 more often, I would consider just getting the Plus ticket as it's the same price I'm paying now, but it's not worth the extra £15 a month

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Andreos1 - 15 Jul 2019

(15 Jul 2019, 2:03 pm)Michael Red Zone seems decent now, means i can go to Washington on one ticket, as the red is valid the galleries only by the sounds of it.... and to Dalton Park, Hartlepool.

I'm pleased Washington is in two zones and you have the flexibility to use a one zone ticket.

I also like the size of the zones, but I don't like the fact there's no overlap on each zone.

As an example, it is more expensive sitting on one bus from Houghton to Chester than it is South Shields to Hartlepool or Birtley to Ashington.

I appreciate there will always be winner's and losers, but the potential to offer those living on the border of a zone - some sort of incentive, is sadly lacking.

(15 Jul 2019, 2:34 pm)Andreos1

I'm pleased Washington is in two zones and you have the flexibility to use a one zone ticket.

I also like the size of the zones, but I don't like the fact there's no overlap on each zone.

As an example, it is more expensive sitting on one bus from Houghton to Chester than it is South Shields to Hartlepool or Birtley to Ashington.

I appreciate there will always be winner's and losers, but the potential to offer those living on the border of a zone - some sort of incentive, is sadly lacking.

I don't know if it's just me, but I'd always get the All Zone ticket even if I was travelling in one zone, just for the piece of mind that I could go out of the area if I needed

(15 Jul 2019, 2:41 pm)streetdeckfan

I don't know if it's just me, but I'd always get the All Zone ticket even if I was travelling in one zone, just for the piece of mind that I could go out of the area if I needed

I think for a longer term (28 day say) ticket, then I would agree with you.

The flexibility would be nice.

For those travelling once or twice a week and on a budget, then spending the extra couple of quid isn't always an option.

(15 Jul 2019, 2:46 pm)Andreos1

I think for a longer term (28 day say) ticket, then I would agree with you.

The flexibility would be nice.

For those travelling once or twice a week and on a budget, then spending the extra couple of quid isn't always an option.

Yeah, that is true. I've just bought the All Zone monthly ticket for a few years now purely so I don't have to worry about if I can get on a bus or not.

But because of that, it always irritates me when I'm out with friends and I suggest going somewhere and they're like "I can't, I only got a Purple ticket"

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Ds1197 - 15 Jul 2019

New zones perfect means I can 2 buses to work instead of 3 trying to stay in red zone

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - Rob44 - 15 Jul 2019

I see the only ticket I ever buy is going up just over 2% which is more than my pay rise this year.

(15 Jul 2019, 3:30 pm)Rob44 I see the only ticket I ever buy is going up just over 2% which is more than my pay rise this year.

A 2% increase isn't bad, Arriva put the prices of their tickets up quite a lot more

Spotted this on Twitter.

Edit: Confirmed to be going on the 58.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - garym67 - 15 Jul 2019

Missed an opportunity to put Consett and Stanley in one zone, still seems odd you can go to Bishop Auckland from Stanley for less than Consett which must be 4 or 5 times the distance? As mentioned always some winners and losers but this one has always seemed wrong to me.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - beefcake - 15 Jul 2019

I find it odd that the X9/10 have been given a separate ticket whilst the X21 which takes longer end to end hasn't. Is it an oversight or is it down to the fact that there's competition on that corridor whereas the GNE offering between Teesside and Tyneside is considerably quicker than what Arriva offer?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - S830OFT - 15 Jul 2019

Do 0697 - 0705 have the MAN engine or Mercedes-Benz engine?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - BusLoverMum - 15 Jul 2019

(15 Jul 2019, 1:46 pm)Andreos1

From my POV, the all zones ticket at £7 is better than the current all zones but a little more expensive than the 2 zone I currently buy to keep my options open when I travel from Durham to the metrocentre.

(15 Jul 2019, 7:47 pm)garym67 Missed an opportunity to put Consett and Stanley in one zone, still seems odd you can go to Bishop Auckland from Stanley for less than Consett which must be 4 or 5 times the distance? As mentioned always some winners and losers but this one has always seemed wrong to me.
I suspect that short hop single or return journeys will still be less than a day ticket.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019 - streetdeckfan - 16 Jul 2019

(15 Jul 2019, 10:03 pm)beefcake I find it odd that the X9/10 have been given a separate ticket whilst the X21 which takes longer end to end hasn't. Is it an oversight or is it down to the fact that there's competition on that corridor whereas the GNE offering between Teesside and Tyneside is considerably quicker than what Arriva offer?

The X21 may take longer, but the route is a good 10 miles shorter compared to the X9/X10 so I'd imagine it's considerably more expensive to run. Plus, the X21 is more of a 'local' service than the X9/X10, which is very much an express route, which also goes outside of GNE's normal operating area. The fact that it's also considerably quicker than the alternative routes is another reason why they can get away with charging more. The people who use the service are likely going there for work, and for those people time is most definitely money.

I personally don't really have an issue as they haven't increased the price of the ticket (at least the weekly and monthly tickets), so anyone using the X9/X10 regularly will pay the same, but the people who don't use it will end up paying less. Even for those buying a day ticket, the price has only increased by 30p for the X9/X10

I think these changes overall are very positive, as I'd imagine the majority of customers with the All Zone monthly ticket will choose to save £15 a month. The only people really losing here are the ones who currently buy 1 and 2 zone day tickets.

On a side note, whoever decided that the YouTube video should automatically play when you load the X9/X10 page needs sacked. I didn't realise my laptop had it's volume set high and suddenly I'm being shouted at asking if I've seen the 'super swanky X9 and X10 buses from Go North East'.