North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 (/showthread.php?tid=2288)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - streetdeckfan - 20 Aug 2019

(20 Aug 2019, 9:57 am)BusLoverMum

It has sheriff Hill to negotiate, often with full loads.

That sounds like a Streetdeck's worst nightmare!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - JP6004 - 20 Aug 2019

(20 Aug 2019, 9:55 am)TEN 6083 6301 at Saltmeadows presumably for repaint and 6104 there for what I’m guessing is route branding

Also there’s a couple of angels including 6333 there with the windows covered up possibly repaint by the looks of it

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk

Wonder if one the 16 plate streetdecks will gain the night angel branding

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - streetdeckfan - 20 Aug 2019

(20 Aug 2019, 10:04 am)JP6004

Seems like a bit of a faff that like, but I wouldn't put it past them!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - JP6004 - 20 Aug 2019

(20 Aug 2019, 10:06 am)streetdeckfan Seems like a bit of a faff that like, but I wouldn't put it past them!

Thinks its because the 67 plates are a lot more reliable than the original streetdecks. Makes sense putting less reliable vehicles in reserve role

(20 Aug 2019, 10:18 am)JP6004

Thinks its because the 67 plates are a lot more reliable than the original streetdecks. Makes sense putting less reliable vehicles in reserve role

Not to mention they're more efficient

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - ne14ne1 - 20 Aug 2019

(20 Aug 2019, 10:04 am)JP6004

I would guess they now wouldn't repaint a bus into a previously designed livery, as eventually it'd need repainted again into the new 'road-stripe' design, (is that what we're calling it?).
I'm not as knowledgable of fleet numbers and PVR numbers as you guys. Are you saying some of the Castles Express Streetdecks will need to be painted into Angel colours to make up for the loss of 6223 & 6333 - or were they just 'spares' anyway? If two do need to be changed to Angel colours will we see the new Angel road-stripe design?

Thinking aloud here... if we imagine the new Cobalt & Coast livery/branding, but in Angel green, there's no graphics or drawings any more, so what do you do to then make it a 'night version', apart from change the green to black - then it just looks like an oddity, like its covering from another route.
Hmmm, I wonder what they'll do.

Out of all their routes the Angel is probably the one route that would benefit from keeping graphics, as the Angel silhouette is instantly recognisable to someone wanting to visit the Angel of the North.
Only time will tell.

(20 Aug 2019, 4:36 pm)ne14ne1

I would guess they now wouldn't repaint a bus into a previously designed livery, as eventually it'd need repainted again into the new 'road-stripe' design, (is that what we're calling it?).

Just thinking aloud here... if we imagine the Cobalt & Coast livery/branding, but in Angel green, there's no graphics or drawings any more, so what do you do to then make it a 'night version', apart from change the green to black - then it just looks like an oddity, like its covering from another route.
Hmmm, I wonder what they'll do.

Out of all their routes the Angel is probably the one route that would benefit from some graphics, as the Angel silhouette is instantly recognisable to someone wanting to make their way to see Angel of the North.
Only time will tell.

Don't go round giving them ideas!
Getting rid of the Angel branding would be a huge mistake

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - ne14ne1 - 20 Aug 2019

(20 Aug 2019, 4:42 pm)streetdeckfan Don't go round giving them ideas!
Getting rid of the Angel branding would be a huge mistake

No I agree the Angel buses are probably the only ones that do warrant graphics/images, but the current livery doesn't fall under the new company image, and also they have their rear windows covered over, and several vinyls across the side windows which everyone seems to be doing away with now. Thats why I suspect eventually it will be changed.
However they currently look fine and theres no doubt many more routes higher up the priority list for needing attention.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - L469 YVK - 20 Aug 2019

(20 Aug 2019, 10:18 am)JP6004

But are they reliable due to them being allocated to a route that they're actually suited for and not an express route? I know Wrightbus are doing work on the StreetDecks to make them more reliable but I'm left to remain convinced.

The Cobalt & Coast refurb programme would've been an ideal opportunity to convert the X21 to a B9TL operation with the StreetDecks going on a route that they're more suited for (service 310).

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - Dan - 20 Aug 2019

(20 Aug 2019, 6:51 pm)L469 YVK

But are they reliable due to them being allocated to a route that they're actually suited for and not an express route? I know Wrightbus are doing work on the StreetDecks to make them more reliable but I'm left to remain convinced.

The Cobalt & Coast refurb programme would've been an ideal opportunity to convert the X21 to a B9TL operation with the StreetDecks going on a route that they're more suited for (service 310).

To be fair; 6332 has been in regular use as a spare bus for the X21 since it was delivered, and has formed part of the PVR for the majority of this year (while 6304 was out of service and then as a result of the PVR increase in May).

Go North East have been able to get a fairly good idea of their performance based on this, including driver feedback (6332 seems to be the favourite bus for all of the Crook drivers!)

So allocating 6333 alongside 6332, as well as two brand new StreetDecks, should greatly assist reliability.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - Michael - 20 Aug 2019

(20 Aug 2019, 7:11 pm)Dan To be fair; 6332 has been in regular use as a spare bus for the X21 since it was delivered, and has formed part of the PVR for the majority of this year (while 6304 was out of service and then as a result of the PVR increase in May).

Go North East have been able to get a fairly good idea of their performance based on this, including driver feedback (6332 seems to be the favourite bus for all of the Crook drivers!)

So allocating 6333 alongside 6332, as well as two brand new StreetDecks, should greatly assist reliability.

Very much so, never rode the Streetdecks yet so can't comment on how i think they are... but if 6332 is getting good feedback, then why not swap them around, would help greatly with the reliability.

(20 Aug 2019, 7:11 pm)Dan To be fair; 6332 has been in regular use as a spare bus for the X21 since it was delivered, and has formed part of the PVR for the majority of this year (while 6304 was out of service and then as a result of the PVR increase in May).

As a passenger, 6332 is my favourite to get (mostly because of the bins!), in fact, if we pass it on it's way to Tindale from Bishop, I'll actually get off in Bishop and wait for it to come back up.

It's a lot more comfortable than the Castles Express branded Streetdecks, which on a 2 hour journey is important

But if they're allocating two of the Angels and two new Streetdecks, why not replace all of them, surely that would be much better for reliablilty.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - Dan - 20 Aug 2019

(20 Aug 2019, 7:16 pm)streetdeckfan

As a passenger, 6332 is my favourite to get (mostly because of the bins!), in fact, if we pass it on it's way to Tindale from Bishop, I'll actually get off in Bishop and wait for it to come back up.

It's a lot more comfortable than the Castles Express branded Streetdecks, which on a 2 hour journey is important

But if they're allocating two of the Angels and two new Streetdecks, why not replace all of them, surely that would be much better for reliablilty.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Upgrading half of the allocation is better than doing nothing - it shows Go North East's commitment to investing in its core commuter services, and to take on board feedback regarding reliability.

Who knows - the X21 may be upgraded again in a few years time, if this scheme sees passenger growth develop.

(20 Aug 2019, 7:21 pm)Dan Rome wasn't built in a day.

Upgrading half of the allocation is better than doing nothing - it shows Go North East's commitment to investing in its core commuter services, and to take on board feedback regarding reliability.

Who knows - the X21 may be upgraded again in a few years time, if this scheme sees passenger growth develop.

I get that, I was just thinking if you're going through the effort of repainting the CE Streetdecks anyway, you might as well just replace them all.

But logistically aren't always as easy as they seem!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - Boggle - 20 Aug 2019

I agree 6332 is the best bus presently on the route. Some of the 16 plate Streetdecks feel like they’re about to rattle themselves to bits when tackling a hill, particularly the one from the roundabout at Gateshead up to Durham Road.

New buses will certainly boost the route in that perspective and hopefully more follow in due course.

(20 Aug 2019, 7:36 pm)Boggle

I agree 6332 is the best bus presently on the route. Some of the 16 plate Streetdecks feel like they’re about to rattle themselves to bits when tackling a hill, particularly the one from the roundabout at Gateshead up to Durham Road.

New buses will certainly boost the route in that perspective and hopefully more follow in due course.

From my experience travelling on them, the problem on the hills seems to be the fact that they're not kicking down, so they struggle in a higher gear (if you say a 4 speed has a 'high' gear!)

My only worry is because MG seems to hate full leather seats, we'll end up with part leather/part fabric seats on the 2 new Streetdecks, the two-tone Red/Blue leather with extra foam on 6332/6333 and the standard blue leather on the CE Streetdecks.

I personally despise fabric seats, if only because of how much gets absorbed into them (and I don't even want to think what gets absorbed!), whereas leather is wipe clean, which is very handy with all the 'youth' that get on the X21 and seem to get everything dirty.

And, in case I haven't mentioned it enough, I hope they're adding bins to the CE Streetdecks, because they're always covered in litter

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - S830OFT - 20 Aug 2019

(20 Aug 2019, 7:41 pm)streetdeckfan

My only worry is because MG seems to hate full leather seats, we'll end up with part leather/part fabric seats on the 2 new Streetdecks, the two-tone Red/Blue leather with extra foam on 6332/6333 and the standard blue leather on the CE Streetdecks.

I personally despise fabric seats, if only because of how much gets absorbed into them (and I don't even want to think what gets absorbed!), whereas leather is wipe clean, which is very handy with all the 'youth' that get on the X21 and seem to get everything dirty.

And, in case I haven't mentioned it enough, I hope they're adding bins to the CE Streetdecks, because they're always covered in litter

Go North East are very good at keeping up with retrimms & refurbishments, unlike Arriva who still have the 2003 Commanders which never once saw a refurbishment or retrim I believe...

(20 Aug 2019, 7:45 pm)S830OFT

Go North East are very good at keeping up with retrimms & refurbishments, unlike Arriva who still have the 2003 Commanders which never once saw a refurbishment or retrim I believe...

Oooh, don't even get me started on the state of Arriva's interiors! Even their 15 plate Streetlites are a complete wreck inside!

But I think 16 and 67 plate Streetdecks are a bit too new to retrim just to match seats, so if they do change up the seats again, we'll end up with three different types on one branded service

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - xpm - 20 Aug 2019

(19 Aug 2019, 4:22 pm)OrangeArrow49 Are Red Arrows, Quaylink and Tydedale Links/Tynedale Express getting new liveries/identities? Red Arrows getting new buses would make a new livery/brand name make sense. Quaylink and Tynedale Links should be changed to have the corporate stripes on for consistency and Tynedale Express will be Xlines eventually. I'd like to see the 74 changed to Xlines X74. Has Toonlink been axed?

What is express about the 74 route?  it takes in every village on the way and does a loop of Darras on top of this it takes nearly an hour and a half to get to Newcastle from Hexham - something which you can do in roughly 45 mins on the x85 (or about 20 in a car).

It is a council subsidised route that would otherwise not be commercially viable  - so why would GNE want to sink a load more cash into a route that has probably two journeys a day with anything approaching reasonable numbers?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - MrBoyt - 20 Aug 2019

(20 Aug 2019, 7:41 pm)streetdeckfan

... I personally despise fabric seats, if only because of how much gets absorbed into them (and I don't even want to think what gets absorbed!), whereas leather is wipe clean, which is very handy with all the 'youth' that get on the X21 and seem to get everything dirty...

I remember Martin going to see some folks about moquette designs a few months ago, so the new seats should be much more hard-wearing than standard fabric.