North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 (/showthread.php?tid=2288)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - streetdeckfan - 06 Aug 2019

(05 Aug 2019, 6:43 pm)S813 FVK

Pleased to see the size of the brand & company logos increased on 6112. Looking a lot less empty in those areas now - to the extent where I now think it doesn't look too bad!

[Image: 48464372947_528374bdbb.jpg]Go North East: 6112 / NL63XBW by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

After looking at it again, I've found a couple more things that don't sit right with me. The black bar is too close to the wheel arch for my liking, it just looks a bit awkward. If they'd angled the end like they did on the other side I don't think it would have looked as bad.

And I think the text for the contactless is just uncomfortably large.

Quite a few things just seem out of proportion

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - Dan - 06 Aug 2019

(06 Aug 2019, 3:00 pm)Ds1197 When are the next stop announcements being updated for the South Shields interchange

They already have been (on Sunday gone), but a handful of buses haven't taken the update over the air yet. A number of Prince Bishops were updated manually this morning.

Had a few PMs recently as well as posts being reported about the talk of the next stop announcements on here, and this thread becoming a general Q&A session about when x is being done... Think as a rule of thumb I'm going to avoid responding to these questions going forward, and hopefully steers us back onto more interesting discussion points to keep everyone happy! There's lots going on at the moment, and some of it is being discussed on other forums, but we seem to be hung up on discussing next stop announcements on here... (they're not that interesting, trust me! Wink )

(06 Aug 2019, 3:38 pm)streetdeckfan

Why do you think it's "uncomfortably large"? You'd expect the font size on an advert to be this size, wouldn't you?

When an advert isn't placed in the holder, it's designed so that this is the advert. It's an advert for that bus, or that service. It's sometimes referred to as "impact messaging" and other operators (again, Reading Buses included) use this quite effectively.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - S830OFT - 06 Aug 2019

(06 Aug 2019, 7:37 pm)Dan

Why do you think it's "uncomfortably large"? You'd expect the font size on an advert to be this size, wouldn't you?

When an advert isn't placed in the holder, it's designed so that this is the advert. It's an advert for that bus, or that service. It's sometimes referred to as "impact messaging" and other operators (again, Reading Buses included) use this quite effectively.

Just because something works in one area, doesn't necessarily mean it should be copied, what happened to that differentiator approach?!?

(06 Aug 2019, 7:48 pm)S830OFT

Just because something works in one area, doesn't necessarily mean it should be copied, what happened to that differentiator approach?!?

I assume the Managing Director quite likes the idea, so wants to keep using that approach?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - gordondack - 06 Aug 2019

(06 Aug 2019, 3:38 pm)streetdeckfan

After looking at it again, I've found a couple more things that don't sit right with me. The black bar is too close to the wheel arch for my liking, it just looks a bit awkward. If they'd angled the end like they did on the other side I don't think it would have looked as bad.

Perhaps you could mock up some designs for Go North East?  I'm sure they would be keen to take on your expertise.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - Andreos1 - 06 Aug 2019

(06 Aug 2019, 7:32 pm)Dan

They already have been (on Sunday gone), but a handful of buses haven't taken the update over the air yet. A number of Prince Bishops were updated manually this morning.

Had a few PMs recently as well as posts being reported about the talk of the next stop announcements on here, and this thread becoming a general Q&A session about when x is being done... Think as a rule of thumb I'm going to avoid responding to these questions going forward, and hopefully steers us back onto more interesting discussion points to keep everyone happy! There's lots going on at the moment, and some of it is being discussed on other forums, but we seem to be hung up on discussing next stop announcements on here... (they're not that interesting, trust me! Wink )

Posts being reported about NSA's?! Huh

Were they the nasty, offensive ones where all sorts of swearing, name calling and sh!T happened or the ones where grown up, adult discussion or questioning happened?

Sad times. It really is.

(06 Aug 2019, 8:41 pm)Andreos1

Posts being reported about NSA's?! Huh

Were they the nasty, offensive ones where all sorts of swearing, name calling and sh!T happened or the ones where grown up, adult discussion or questioning happened?

Sad times. It really is.

To be fair, I do think there's some substance in the view that this thread has become a Q&A thread with very little discussion as we had in the past (and that's probably my fault for answering the questions, I hold my hands up there!)

Go back five years and the quality of our discussions and debate were much better, with far greater participation, don't you think? This good quality discussion is still taking place elsewhere (even on groups which are incredibly militant) and it's probably because answers aren't being given, it's left for everyone to debate and discuss.

I don't think the posts were reported as being offensive etc (which is why they weren't moderated), more so that this thread probably wasn't ever intended to be a direct line to GNE's Commercial Team and there's a customer services team to help with those things.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - streetdeckfan - 07 Aug 2019

(06 Aug 2019, 7:37 pm)Dan

It's hard to say, it just doesn't look quite right to my eye, but I suppose that's the same with everything isn't it.

Like you say, it's essentially a built in advert, but I think if the background wasn't the same colour as the rest of the bus it may have had a bit more 'impact'

Not to say it looks bad by any means, it's certainly a lot better than some other liveries that's for sure!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - streetdeckfan - 08 Aug 2019

Since that seems to have killed this completely, I guess we'll go back to having a discussion.

I remember Martijn tweeting a while back along the lines of "you've seen nothing yet" regarding the interiors of the new buses.

GNE interiors are already pretty nice, so I do wonder what they could do to make it better. The only things I can think of would be changing the seats for something a bit more padded, not to say they're uncomfortable at the minute, I regularly do 2 hour journeys on them without any issue. Having said that, when I tried out the refurbished B9s, I did find the seats rather uncomfortable. Speaking of the B9s, I'd guess they'll be adding the wireless charging (although in my experience it charged so slow that my battery actually went down).

One thing I would actually quite like is blinds, especially on the X21 since it spends most of it's journey going north/south, the side of my head is always burning.

And is there a reason why the front seats upstairs don't have a table? It seems like there's plenty of room to put in a table

Since Dan is a self-confessed 'direct line to GNE's Commercial Team', maybe he can chime in ?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - JP6004 - 08 Aug 2019

(08 Aug 2019, 1:35 pm)streetdeckfan Since that seems to have killed this completely, I guess we'll go back to having a discussion.

I remember Martijn tweeting a while back along the lines of "you've seen nothing yet" regarding the interiors of the new buses.

GNE interiors are already pretty nice, so I do wonder what they could do to make it better. The only things I can think of would be changing the seats for something a bit more padded, not to say they're uncomfortable at the minute, I regularly do 2 hour journeys on them without any issue. Having said that, when I tried out the refurbished B9s, I did find the seats rather uncomfortable. Speaking of the B9s, I'd guess they'll be adding the wireless charging (although in my experience it charged so slow that my battery actually went down).

One thing I would actually quite like is blinds, especially on the X21 since it spends most of it's journey going north/south, the side of my head is always burning.

And is there a reason why the front seats upstairs don't have a table? It seems like there's plenty of room to put in a table

Since Dan is a self-confessed 'direct line to GNE's Commercial Team', maybe he can chime in ?

Believe Martijn was referring to the internal vinyls that have been applied. Pictures are on Dan's Flickr. Only changes to X21 will be rebrand to Xlines

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - Andreos1 - 08 Aug 2019

(06 Aug 2019, 9:16 pm)Dan To be fair, I do think there's some substance in the view that this thread has become a Q&A thread with very little discussion as we had in the past (and that's probably my fault for answering the questions, I hold my hands up there!)

Go back five years and the quality of our discussions and debate were much better, with far greater participation, don't you think? This good quality discussion is still taking place elsewhere (even on groups which are incredibly militant) and it's probably because answers aren't being given, it's left for everyone to debate and discuss.

I don't think the posts were reported as being offensive etc (which is why they weren't moderated), more so that this thread probably wasn't ever intended to be a direct line to GNE's Commercial Team and there's a customer services team to help with those things.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I thought long and hard about my response and at the risk of it being reported, I decided to tone it down somewhat.

Regardless of whether the amount and quality of discussion has dropped over the years, I still don't get why posts like the ones you mention would be reported.

If someone doesn't like a question or a comment, then all they need to do is ignore it and maybe read 'the reporting posts guidance' that Liam posted at the hight of 'fleetlistgate'.

I would love to engage in a good debate/discussion and I am waiting with baited breath for some of the old guard and eezypeazy to make a return. My baths just haven't been the same since the days of the QCS debates!

I firmly believe that the discussion of old, is what made the forum. It is disappointing to see (in the main), it splutter along like it does.

Getting back on topic however, I firmly believe the NSA's aren't being used to their full potential.

I was chuffed to get on a corporate Merc on the X20 a few weeks back and it play the required NSA's for that service.

However, I would love to see improvements made when long term or regular closures are in place and for the NSA's to start achieving their potential.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - streetdeckfan - 08 Aug 2019

(08 Aug 2019, 3:13 pm)JP6004

Believe Martijn was referring to the internal vinyls that have been applied. Pictures are on Dan's Flickr. Only changes to X21 will be rebrand to Xlines

He might well have been, it was a while ago and I can't be bothered to spend ages digging through his Twitter to find out the exact context ?

I'm aware that they aren't going to do anything to the X21, I was just putting some ideas out there.

I do hope they don't do full height cove vinyls on the Streetlites though, Arriva's look ridiculous

(08 Aug 2019, 3:32 pm)Andreos1

Getting back on topic however, I firmly believe the NSA's aren't being used to their full potential.

I was chuffed to get on a corporate Merc on the X20 a few weeks back and it play the required NSA's for that service.

However, I would love to see improvements made when long term or regular closures are in place and for the NSA's to start achieving their potential.

When the 49 I was on got diverted (and by that I mean the driver forgot he was driving the 49 and went along Askew Road West, but the principle is the same), the NSAs just stopped announcing until we got back onto Derwentwater Road and caught straight back up, which I thought was quite good.

You would think it would be relatively simple to easily modify the route on the NSA, but they always seem to make the technology more complicated than it needs to be (the cynic in me thinks they do that so they can charge more for 'support')

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - JP6004 - 08 Aug 2019

(08 Aug 2019, 3:57 pm)streetdeckfan

He might well have been, it was a while ago and I can't be bothered to spend ages digging through his Twitter to find out the exact context ?

I'm aware that they aren't going to do anything to the X21, I was just putting some ideas out there.

I do hope they don't do full height cove vinyls on the Streetlites though, Arriva's look ridiculous

The vinyls on the staircase and the cove panels look great. It was only the other day they were posted so should be too far down. I think you'll be surprised at the extent they've gone to. Im sure they will have something sorted for the streetlites

(08 Aug 2019, 4:00 pm)JP6004

The vinyls on the staircase and the cove panels look great. It was only the other day they were posted so should be too far down. I think you'll be surprised at the extent they've gone to. Im sure they will have something sorted for the streetlites

I've seen what they've done on the Cobalts and it looks alright, I'm personally not a fan of the big vinyl on the staircase though. I much prefer the minimalist design

Arriva did the same on some of their deckers and I wasn't a fan of theirs either. I will give them credit for the amount of effort they put into the theming, even if they didn't put the blue sky vinyls on the ceiling like they did on the Streetdecks! (Maybe they thought the blue sky wouldn't fit the beach theme and couldn't find it with thunderstorms on!)

With the Streetlites, what I was referring to was because the coves are so tall, I just hope they don't stretch the vinyls to the full height like Arriva did

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - Michael - 08 Aug 2019

A Fab 56 B9 was involved in a crash tonight near the Beacon Of Light in Sunderland

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/crime/emergency-services-called-to-scene-of-a-bus-crash-in-sunderland-489189

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - R852 PRG - 09 Aug 2019

5247 back from repaint: https://www.flickr.com/photos/142814434@N05/48494519517/in/dateposted-public/

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - grandad - 09 Aug 2019

I agree that some NSA's could be used more effectively.  We live in a very diverse part of the country with lots of points of interest which a lot of people know little about.

For example, on the Red Kite you could have something like:-

"The next stop is Winlaton Mill.  Alight here for the Land of Oak and Iron Heritage Centre and Derwentheugh Park"

"The next stop is Rowlands Gill.  Get off here to visit Gibside Chapel and Grounds."

"The next stop is Forge lane.  Alight here to visit the historic Dovecote Steel Furnace - the first steel furnace in the world"

Which other services could benefit from PoI's added to the NSA's?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - JP6004 - 09 Aug 2019

(09 Aug 2019, 9:57 am)R852 PRG 5247 back from repaint: https://www.flickr.com/photos/142814434@N05/48494519517/in/dateposted-public/

Yes they will be kept busy over next few months

(09 Aug 2019, 10:15 am)grandad

I agree that some NSA's could be used more effectively.  We live in a very diverse part of the country with lots of points of interest which a lot of people know little about.

"The next stop is Winlaton Mill.  Alight here for the Land of Oak and Iron Heritage Centre and Derwentheugh Park"

"The next stop is Rowlands Gill.  Get off here to visit Gibside Chapel and Grounds."

"The next stop is Forge lane.  Alight here to visit the historic Dovecote Steel Furnace - the first steel furnace in the world"

St Nicholas Street - Alright here for the Vampire Rabbit of Newcastle

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019 - streetdeckfan - 09 Aug 2019

(09 Aug 2019, 10:15 am)grandad

I mean, it would certainly be on brand if the X21 actually told you where to get if if you wanted to see some Castles!

The only issue with that would be regular passengers might get a bit sick of it.