North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 (/showthread.php?tid=2300)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - V514DFT - 03 Sep 2019

(02 Sep 2019, 8:48 pm)Malarkey

And here 3976 which is now an open topper - 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75223619@N02/48666768467/in/photostream  https://www.flickr.com/photos/75223619@N02/48667135878/in/feed

safe to say thats a write off

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - Wybus - 03 Sep 2019

That bridge is hardly one of those that are borderline, it’s very low, there seems to be very little clearance in a single deck.

At least they’ve got another bus for either the Toon Tour or Scarborough now.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - GNE6312 - 03 Sep 2019

(03 Sep 2019, 2:47 pm)V514DFT

safe to say thats a write off

Not really. They could slightly modify it to open top for the toon tour

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - streetdeckfan - 03 Sep 2019

(03 Sep 2019, 5:52 pm)Wybus That bridge is hardly one of those that are borderline, it’s very low, there seems to be very little clearance in a single deck.

At least they’ve got another bus for either the Toon Tour or Scarborough now.
Yeah, from the inside it seems the Streetlites aren't far off scraping the top

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - S813 FVK - 03 Sep 2019

I absolutely love photos with this sort of set up. This one gives a visual idea of the clearance:

[Image: 33338121043_bb7e681005.jpg]Go North East - 4952 - NK51OLU - GoNorthEast20051918 by Gary James Mitchelhill, on Flickr

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - streetdeckfan - 03 Sep 2019

(03 Sep 2019, 7:13 pm)S813 FVK I absolutely love photos with this sort of set up. This one gives a visual idea of the clearance:

[Image: 33338121043_bb7e681005.jpg]Go North East - 4952 - NK51OLU - GoNorthEast20051918 by Gary James Mitchelhill, on Flickr

Fairly tight that is! 
I think the Streetlites have barely a foot of clearance above them

I've often wondered why the bridges along there are so low. The X66 could definitely do with some deckers like

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - Rapidsnap - 03 Sep 2019

(03 Sep 2019, 7:13 pm)S813 FVK I absolutely love photos with this sort of set up. This one gives a visual idea of the clearance:

Thank you.

IIRC when the Centrelink was first open, I'm sure the 52xx Scanias and Volvo B7RLEs were originally banned from the section that passes right under the Metro Bridge due to their Air-Con pods on the roof. Not sure if it's still the case now.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - MrBoyt - 03 Sep 2019

(03 Sep 2019, 10:14 pm)Rapidsnap

Thank you.

IIRC when the Centrelink was first open, I'm sure the 52xx Scanias and Volvo B7RLEs were originally banned from the section that passes right under the Metro Bridge due to their Air-Con pods on the roof. Not sure if it's still the case now.

Scanias with pods on the roof are signed in cab as 11' 4", so *in theory* wouldn't fit under. In practice, they do, but I never take those ones that route in a morning just to be sure.

The Yutong electric demo bus went up there for a couple of weeks last year, and I'm sure that must've been over 11'?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - deanmachine - 04 Sep 2019

(03 Sep 2019, 10:14 pm)Rapidsnap

Thank you.

They've removed some of the bars on the underside so the Scanias with Aircon pods can fit under now, still signed for 11' though, I had to be reassured several times from several sources for taking a Loop on the X66 under. Nothing taller than that can fit however.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - streetdeckfan - 04 Sep 2019

(03 Sep 2019, 11:08 pm)MrBoyt

Scanias with pods on the roof are signed in cab as 11' 4", so *in theory* wouldn't fit under. In practice, they do, but I never take those ones that route in a morning just to be sure.

The Yutong electric demo bus went up there for a couple of weeks last year, and I'm sure that must've been over 11'?

After a quick Google it seems they're they're 1cm short of 11 ft, so would do technically fit underneath.

I must say, they felt taller than that in person like

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - Dan - 04 Sep 2019

Anyone after some unique photos - the open-tops are going out today on the 309/310...!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - Rapidsnap - 04 Sep 2019

Plus 3999 on the 40/41.

Must be a serious shortage of vehicles at PM.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - Dan - 04 Sep 2019

(04 Sep 2019, 7:51 am)Rapidsnap Plus 3999 on the 40/41.

Must be a serious shortage of vehicles at PM.
6 extra vehicles out on cruise ship shuttles today.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - RBZ 5459 - 04 Sep 2019

(04 Sep 2019, 8:19 am)Dan 6 extra vehicles out on cruise ship shuttles today.

Plus, the struggle they have with the Solos most days looks to be putting quite a strain on resources!

(04 Sep 2019, 8:37 am)RBZ 5459

Plus, the struggle they have with the Solos most days looks to be putting quite a strain on resources!

I understand Optare are currently in financial difficulty, although, unlike Wrightbus, have done well to keep this out of the media.

This means long wait times for parts, and buses being kept off service for longer than they would ordinarily.

Washington, who have a fleet of largely new Solos, are having similar issues.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - streetdeckfan - 04 Sep 2019

(04 Sep 2019, 11:53 am)Dan I understand Optare are currently in financial difficulty, although, unlike Wrightbus, have done well to keep this out of the media.

This means long wait times for parts, and buses being kept off service for longer than they would ordinarily.

I just had a quick look over Optare's accounts they filed last year and it does look good.

If I'm reading it right, they only sold 132 buses, down from 200 the previous year, and made a loss of £10 million, so it's no wonder there are long waits for parts.

I wouldn't be surprised if they play the old 'Brexit card' for the issues, even though we haven't actually left yet, and their financial troubles started long before we voted to leave

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - RBZ 5459 - 04 Sep 2019

(04 Sep 2019, 11:53 am)Dan I understand Optare are currently in financial difficulty, although, unlike Wrightbus, have done well to keep this out of the media.

Pretty sure they are always in financial difficulty, it amazes me they are still kicking around, then someone from the Middle East or New Zealand wants a big order and keeps them going for yet another year! 

But yes - believe so. Stagecoach Carlisle have had the heads up with their Solos which require (too) regular Optare warranty work and parts. Parts haven't been a great issue, but they have had a painful process of having the last of their Solos going down to Leeds for warranty work on emergency doors. On the whole, parts have been agro for anyone with an Optare. Competing against the E200MMC range, for example, which is much more modern in terms of looks and passenger experience, more maneuverable and part compatibility with other MMC range, it's no wonder Optare's books aren't full.

They really haven't got much to offer compared to the other 'big two' - unless its something the size of baby Solo or electric bus. Apart from that, which isn't exactly flying off the shelves, they have got left behind. The likes of start-stop technology I'm sure still isn't available on any of their stock, which is available on Wright and ADL products - so that's pretty much bodged any London orders they've been aiming at which is now a TfL requirement IIRC.

And they have pumped serious cash into development of their decker with not much to show for it. Looking at the Solo, it is basically the same 20 year old frame design behind the panels - just with different fibreglass and panels on. It's astonishing, quite sad really as they were revolutionary and at the front of it all back in the 90s, their attempts today just don't materialise into anything, especially the UK market.

(04 Sep 2019, 2:01 pm)RBZ 5459

Pretty sure they are always in financial difficulty, it amazes me they are still kicking around, then someone from the Middle East or New Zealand wants a big order and keeps them going for yet another year! 

But yes - believe so. Stagecoach Carlisle have had the heads up with their Solos which require (too) regular Optare warranty work and parts. Parts haven't been a great issue, but they have had a painful process of having the last of their Solos going down to Leeds for warranty work on emergency doors. On the whole, parts have been agro for anyone with an Optare. Competing against the E200MMC range, for example, which is much more modern in terms of looks and passenger experience, more maneuverable and part compatibility with other MMC range, it's no wonder Optare's books aren't full.

They really haven't got much to offer compared to the other 'big two' - unless its something the size of baby Solo or electric bus. Apart from that, which isn't exactly flying off the shelves, they have got left behind. The likes of start-stop technology I'm sure still isn't available on any of their stock, which is available on Wright and ADL products - so that's pretty much bodged any London orders they've been aiming at which is now a TfL requirement IIRC.

And they have pumped serious cash into development of their decker with not much to show for it. Looking at the Solo, it is basically the same 20 year old frame design behind the panels - just with different fibreglass and panels on. It's astonishing, quite sad really as they were revolutionary and at the front of it all back in the 90s, their attempts today just don't materialise into anything, especially the UK market.

Even with electric, they have a fair bit of competition with the likes of Yutong.

I think the only thing Optare have left are like you say the baby Solos, but even then, wouldn't something van based like the Sprinter be more cost effective since parts are more readily available

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - Andreos1 - 04 Sep 2019

(04 Sep 2019, 2:01 pm)RBZ 5459

If you think back to each of the struggles, mergers, buyouts and whatever else they have had since the initial boom of the late 80's/early 90's, it amazes me to think they're still going.

Maybe Ashok as a whole are struggling. Maybe it is just this division.

It doesn't seem long since they increased their ownership of Optare, which would seem strange if the division was struggling.

Edit: financial express.com/ashok-leyland-ups-shareholding-in-optare-to-99-08-to-help-arm-slash-debt-burden/1361615

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019 - streetdeckfan - 04 Sep 2019

I just noticed the paint job on the back of 6328 is absolutely appalling around the glass! Looks like it was painted by a 5 year old![Image: 32106f907df7a84c0bef0175a1a3388b.jpg]