North East Buses
Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Northern (Arriva Rail North) (/showthread.php?tid=235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: Northern Rail - Michael - 03 Mar 2015

(03 Mar 2015, 8:56 am)Tommy_1581 NEW: Due to a person hit by a train between #Newcastle and #Hexham all lines are blocked.

Sad, i hope it wasn't suicide. 

RE: Northern Rail - tyresmoke - 05 Mar 2015

319362 and 319363 have entered service this morning on the Liverpool - Manchester Airport services

The two diagrams at the moment are:

1H43 07:16 Lime Street to Manchester Airport
1F93 08:40 Manchester Airport to Lime Street
1H40 14:16 Lime Street to Manchester Airport
1F90 15:40 Manchester Airport to Lime Street
1H43 17:13 Lime Street to Manchester Airport
1F93 18:40 Manchester Airport to Lime Street

1H42 06:16 Lime Street to Manchester Airport
1F92 07:35 Manchester Airport to Lime Street
1H45 09:16 Lime Street to Manchester Airport
1F95 10:40 Manchester Airport to Lime Street
1H48 12:15 Lime Street to Manchester Airport
1F98 13:40 Manchester Airport to Lime Street
1H41 15:16 Lime Street to Manchester Airport
1F91 16:40 Manchester Airport to Lime Street
1H44 18:14 Lime Street to Manchester Airport
1F94 19:40 Manchester Airport to Lime Street

Info from RailUK Forums

RE: Northern Rail - LeeCalder - 08 Mar 2015

Northern Rail limited edition ticket wallet

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271799351045

Northern Rail - R852 PRG - 14 Mar 2015

Dear me...142089 was screaming on every bend we went past on the journey I had today...

Was enough to make you go deaf!

RE: Northern Rail - omnicity4659 - 14 Mar 2015

(14 Mar 2015, 5:18 pm)MarcTheA4 Dear me...142089 was screaming on every bend we went past on the journey I had today...

LEE CALDER!!!

You've got your first compliant!  Big Grin

RE: Northern Rail - tyresmoke - 14 Mar 2015

(14 Mar 2015, 5:18 pm)MarcTheA4 Dear me...142089 was screaming on every bend we went past on the journey I had today...

Standard on 142's because of them not having bogies... 

RE: Northern Rail - Y961 XBU - 20 Mar 2015

(05 Mar 2015, 10:47 am)tyresmoke 319362 and 319363 have entered service this morning on the Liverpool - Manchester Airport services

The two diagrams at the moment are:

1H43 07:16 Lime Street to Manchester Airport
1F93 08:40 Manchester Airport to Lime Street
1H40 14:16 Lime Street to Manchester Airport
1F90 15:40 Manchester Airport to Lime Street
1H43 17:13 Lime Street to Manchester Airport
1F93 18:40 Manchester Airport to Lime Street

1H42 06:16 Lime Street to Manchester Airport
1F92 07:35 Manchester Airport to Lime Street
1H45 09:16 Lime Street to Manchester Airport
1F95 10:40 Manchester Airport to Lime Street
1H48 12:15 Lime Street to Manchester Airport
1F98 13:40 Manchester Airport to Lime Street
1H41 15:16 Lime Street to Manchester Airport
1F91 16:40 Manchester Airport to Lime Street
1H44 18:14 Lime Street to Manchester Airport
1F94 19:40 Manchester Airport to Lime Street

Info from RailUK Forums

319365 is also is Service as i had it on Wed

RE: Northern Rail - tyresmoke - 23 Mar 2015

Only fair as we report problems on the Metro that Northern should get a mention for short forming the 0626 Newcastle to Hexham to a single unit (hopefully a 156!) - it also ran 27 mins late departing at 0653. This runs the 0742 back to Middlesbrough which ran on time but obviously a unit short - wonder how many it left behind! Normally 2x142 on that.

RE: Northern Rail - LeeCalder - 25 Mar 2015

You leave 142089 alone Marcus!!!  Tongue

RE: Northern Rail - Coppercap40 - 01 Apr 2015

The DfT has just released a document  today giving the results of the feasibility study recently carried out concerning the fitting of pantographs to Class 142 multiple units,this would enable savings to be made when running on electrified lines such as Newcastle to Morpeth and Chathill and Newcastle to Darlington also between Sunderland and Pelaw Jnct, this last section would require trains to stop at Pelaw Jnct in both directions to raise and lower the pantograph, the pantographs would be dual voltage to enable them to work over all the aforementioned lines.
The cost of these modifications would be covered by the savings in diesel fuel consumption.

RE: Northern Rail - omnicity4659 - 01 Apr 2015

(01 Apr 2015, 10:19 am)Coppercap40 The DfT has just released a document  today giving the results of the feasibility study recently carried out concerning the fitting of pantographs to Class 142 multiple units,this would enable savings to be made when running on electrified lines such as Newcastle to Morpeth and Chathill and Newcastle to Darlington also between Sunderland and Pelaw Jnct, this last section would require trains to stop at Pelaw Jnct in both directions to raise and lower the pantograph, the pantographs would be dual voltage to enable them to work over all the aforementioned lines.
The cost of these modifications would be covered by the savings in diesel fuel consumption.

I thought that McLaughlin had lost his complete mind, until I remember that it is April 1st.  Rolleyes  

Northern Rail - R852 PRG - 01 Apr 2015

Found this quote hilarious in Railways Illustrated...

''How depressing is it that Porterbrook seriously thinks Pacers are worth investing in after 2020? They will be 35 years old by then, and there's only so many times you can patch them up. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig!''

Don't know how/why I found it so funny! Tongue

RE: Northern Rail - 8222 - 05 Apr 2015

I see Northern are running special services from Newcastle to St. Peters for the match.
Does anyone know the times of these services? Is anyone going to go and take a pic?

It reminds me of were doing work on the main station and I got a 158 (back in the day of Transpennine to Sunderland!) to St Peters and a Stagecoach bus into town. Quite a nice treat to get off at there.

RE: Northern Rail - omnicity4659 - 06 Apr 2015

Northern Rail @northernrailorg
NEW: Due to a line-side fire between #Seaham and #Hartlepool all lines are blocked. Services may be cancelled or delayed.
6:24pm - 6 Apr 15

RE: Northern Rail - MrFozz - 07 Apr 2015

(01 Apr 2015, 8:11 pm)MarcTheA4 Found this quote hilarious in Railways Illustrated...

''How depressing is it that Porterbrook seriously thinks Pacers are worth investing in after 2020? They will be 35 years old by then, and there's only so many times you can patch them up. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig!''

Don't know how/why I found it so funny!
Pacers are horrible trains...

You cant polish a turd...If it looks like a turd and smells like a turd, it is most definately a turd, lol...

The day for Pacers to go cannot come soon enough in my opinion, the amount of bad backs I have had bouncing about on them is unbelievable

(05 Apr 2015, 8:10 am)8222 I see Northern are running special services from Newcastle to St. Peters for the match.
Does anyone know the times of these services? Is anyone going to go and take a pic?

It reminds me of were doing work on the main station and I got a 158 (back in the day of Transpennine to Sunderland!) to St Peters and a Stagecoach bus into town. Quite a nice treat to get off at there.

Hasn't Northern done that a few times now on Derby Days...

I also remember the TP to Sunderland days, and a couple of times come up from Liverpool and Manchester and having to get off at St Peters would have been back around 2001 or 2002

RE: Northern Rail - tyresmoke - 11 Apr 2015

Two more Class 319 units delivered to Northern from Wolverton Works the other day were 319368 and 319382

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 12 Apr 2015

Kind of related.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/12884268.display/
THE BROTHER of a tragic train driver who watched helplessly as his engine killed a teenager has called on rail companies to provide more help for traumatised staff.

David Roberts said he feared his brother Stephen Douglas would drink himself to death after his life fell apart following the horrific accident in 2003.
Mr Douglas, 50, from Darlington, started drinking heavily after the Arriva train he was driving hit and killed teenager Ben Williams, who had been lying across the rails.
Arriva said it could not comment on individual circumstances, but a spokesman said: “We have policies and procedures in place to ensure our drivers are supported during incidents which, like other rail operators, are sadly sometimes part of our operating environment.
Sloppy journalism from the Echo (yet again). The incident happened in 2003 under Arriva Trains Northern which have since passed on to Serco and Abellio; Northern Rail.
Yet the Echo ask Arriva themselves on their actions on incidents like this, even though they could be different (I hope not though, it's pretty standard to be offered counselling after a fatality).
An interesting read nonetheless though; it really puts into perspective how emotionally devastating these events can be.

RE: Northern Rail - omnicity4659 - 12 Apr 2015

(12 Apr 2015, 10:19 am)northern156 Kind of related.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/12884268.display/
Sloppy journalism from the Echo (yet again). The incident happened in 2003 under Arriva Trains Northern which have since passed on to Serco and Abellio; Northern Rail.
Yet the Echo ask Arriva themselves on their actions on incidents like this, even though they could be different (I hope not though, it's pretty standard to be offered counselling after a fatality).
An interesting read nonetheless though; it really puts into perspective how emotionally devastating these events can be.

It's a very sad story indeed, the TOC (ATN) had sacked him because he had a drink problem but never was drunk at work; I find that petty and a horrible thing to do. 

I know a similar thing happened with a Tyne and Wear Metro driver, I think he became a counsellor for DB Regio or something along them lines.

Being the Echo, the trolls will come and rant about Arriva buses and bus stations and all the ones writing about how they feel sorry about the driver and the teenager will be heavily 'disliked'.

Not even a quick Google search can please the Echo, it's just another way to pick at Arriva.

Northern Rail - MrFozz - 12 Apr 2015

(12 Apr 2015, 11:35 am)Tommy_1581 It's a very sad story indeed, the TOC (ATN) had sacked him because he had a drink problem but never was drunk at work; I find that petty and a horrible thing to do.

I know a similar thing happened with a Tyne and Wear Metro driver, I think he became a counsellor for DB Regio or something along them lines.

Being the Echo, the trolls will come and rant about Arriva buses and bus stations and all the ones writing about how they feel sorry about the driver and the teenager will be heavily 'disliked'.

Not even a quick Google search can please the Echo, it's just another way to pick at Arriva.

As sad as it is, in my opinion, there is more to it than simply 'he was never drunk at work', I dont see how he could for that, as long as it did not impair his job, though he may have cracked with PTSD

I reckon he may just have cracked up and got the boot for something else...Railway deaths are not pretty, let me assure you on that, it is a psychological nightmare...

I have an idea of what that must be living with, I know where his mind probably is, I witnessed a 'one-under' at Kings Cross/St Pancras when I was a teen and have probably felt something close to that driver, I started to self medicate, both legally and illegally to mask bad dreams, the nightmares have come back recently after reading about rail deaths lately, tje meds I am on has seen me have shitty nightmares, add to that one of my mates being killed in Durham crossing the ECML in 2000, I know what the mind can do to people after stuff like that.

In these cases maybes TOCs should place drivers on indefinate leave with intense counselling to try get over accidently killing people, with the same for bus drivers and professional drivers

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 12 Apr 2015

With the amount of suicides on the railway generally increasing, it would be detrimental to give drivers indefinite leave and counselling. Not only because it'd be very expensive but also they've lost a driver - typically, new drivers can't come to replace other drives fast enough. To get someone trained 'off the street' takes around a year and it costs around £70,000 per person.

Some people take it easy, some don't - at the FOC where I work, there was a driver there who had four and he was at around retirement age. Yet there's plenty of others who have had none, you can't predict them.

Christ, it still affects me when I pass an overbridge where I was driven past near Penrith around an hour after a fatality, you could see the police vans and other vehicles parked there. I just get a nervous twitch when I pass there.