North East Buses
Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Northern (Arriva Rail North) (/showthread.php?tid=235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: Northern Rail - Adrian - 12 Apr 2015

(12 Apr 2015, 5:17 pm)northern156 With the amount of suicides on the railway generally increasing, it would be detrimental to give drivers indefinite leave and counselling. Not only because it'd be very expensive but also they've lost a driver - typically, new drivers can't come to replace other drives fast enough. To get someone trained 'off the street' takes around a year and it costs around £70,000 per person.

Some people take it easy, some don't - at the FOC where I work, there was a driver there who had four and he was at around retirement age. Yet there's plenty of others who have had none, you can't predict them.

Christ, it still affects me when I pass an overbridge where I was driven past near Penrith around an hour after a fatality, you could see the police vans and other vehicles parked there. I just get a nervous twitch when I pass there.

You wouldn't expect indefinite leave, but most should be entitled to an income protection scheme of some sort? It'd typically kick in after 6 months long term sick, and would pay the employee's wages (or at least a percentage of them) from then on. 

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 12 Apr 2015

(12 Apr 2015, 5:44 pm)aureolin You wouldn't expect indefinite leave, but most should be entitled to an income protection scheme of some sort? It'd typically kick in after 6 months long term sick, and would pay the employee's wages (or at least a percentage of them) from then on. 

I'm not too sure what it is for my FOC, but that sounds about right. There must be some industry standards somewhere, given that it is a massive issue.
T&W Metro won't be bound by the same rules however so effectively they can do what they want! Knowing how, let's say, ineffective they can be, I don't imagine it'd be anywhere as near mainline companies. Mind, I assume they have less fatalities due to the typically lower speeds plus how good the brakes are on a pair of Metrocars - plus the networks seems generally well tied off from roads/pathways etc.

RE: Northern Rail - omnicity4659 - 16 Apr 2015

Get digging folks:

Northern Rail @northernrailorg
ENTHUSIASTS UNITE!! We're in need of photos of our 150/156 diesel units coupled in a 2-2 formation. Send to press.office@northernrail.org

RE: Northern Rail - Y961 XBU - 21 Apr 2015

319361 becomes the 4th of the Class 319s to enter Service, it was out on the Manchester Airport Line Yesterday

RE: Northern Rail - tyresmoke - 23 Apr 2015

Just another update on these 319367 and 319369 arrived at Allerton on Monday 20th.

Northern Rail - DanPicken - 02 May 2015

Does anyone know what timetable Northern Rail will run on Monday. I think its a normal Monday service but could be Sunday service just incase I have to look up train times as I know the Metro is supposed to be running a Saturday service but if today is to go by where I live there will be no metros like most of today.

RE: Northern Rail - Davie - 02 May 2015

(02 May 2015, 8:37 pm)danpick Does anyone know what timetable Northern Rail will run on Monday. I think its a normal Monday service but could be Sunday service just incase I have to look up train times as I know the Metro is supposed to be running a Saturday service but if today is to go by where I live there will be no metros like most of today.

I think it'll be a Sunday service

RE: Northern Rail - S813 FVK - 02 May 2015

Unless i have read it wrong, it is down to be a normal Monday-Friday service:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/93275.aspx

RE: Northern Rail - tyresmoke - 02 May 2015

(02 May 2015, 9:22 pm)Davie I think it'll be a Sunday service

Standard Monday service

(02 May 2015, 9:31 pm)tyresmoke Standard Monday service

Ahh right cheers Smile

RE: Northern Rail - S813 FVK - 02 May 2015

Just goes to show that buses and trains arent always the same. I was quite surprised to find that they were operating a normal Monday service on the national rail website prior to posting it on here. I was expecting a Sunday or Saturday service at least.

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 02 May 2015

All Bank Holidays (with the exception of Christmas Day and Boxing Day) on the railway are ran as normal service for that day.

Some services run Boxing Day however that is the exception to the rule.

(02 May 2015, 10:02 pm)northern156 All Bank Holidays (with the exception of Christmas Day and Boxing Day) on the railway are ran as normal service for that day.

Some services run Boxing Day however that is the exception to the rule.

Cheers Sean

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 08 May 2015

Not sure if it has been mentioned already, but Northern have got their deals on again with Johnston Press.

http://www.northernrail.org/JP2015

The prices quoted on the website are cheaper than the ones published in the Echo mind. The dates on the website have obviously been and gone too.

RE: Northern Rail - Dan - 08 May 2015

(08 May 2015, 3:48 pm)Andreos1 Not sure if it has been mentioned already, but Northern have got their deals on again with Johnston Press.

http://www.northernrail.org/JP2015

The prices quoted on the website are cheaper than the ones published in the Echo mind. The dates on the website have obviously been and gone too.

You got a pic of the ad in the Echo? Going to try and make the most of this, but would like to know what I'm looking out for in the Sunderland Echo (assume it is the same regardless of which paper)

(08 May 2015, 4:29 pm)Dan You got a pic of the ad in the Echo? Going to try and make the most of this, but would like to know what I'm looking out for in the Sunderland Echo (assume it is the same regardless of which paper)

Big, half page ad each day.
Page 66 of tonights Echo

Just as a thought, how about a Day Ranger challenge?

See who can get the furthest in one day?

Upload pictures as they go and the winner, gets some sort of prize?

RE: Northern Rail - DanPicken - 08 May 2015

(08 May 2015, 5:01 pm)Andreos1 Just as a thought, how about a Day Ranger challenge?

See who can get the furthest in one day?

Upload pictures as they go and the winner, gets some sort of prize?
Think last time we tried to get a big group and all travel together.

RE: Northern Rail - Adrian - 08 May 2015

I got the tokens last time round, but the problem was that you were limited to Northern Rail trains. You'd be pretty much restricted to Cumbria (unless you paid extra for VTEC to York and back).

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 09 May 2015

(08 May 2015, 9:45 pm)aureolin I got the tokens last time round, but the problem was that you were limited to Northern Rail trains. You'd be pretty much restricted to Cumbria (unless you paid extra for VTEC to York and back).

Yeah that's one of the issues, although a return to York or Leeds/Doncaster will have you sorted as a lot of Northern services operate from there.

I don't see the point in a 'furthest away' challenge as, really, Crewe (furthest from the North East) is easily achievable in one day.

If you wanted to stick to Northern Rail only you'd have to go to Carlisle and then either to Leeds via S&C or to Carnforth/Lancaster/Preston via Cumbrian Coast, if Lancaster/Carnforth then to Leeds.