North East Buses
Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Northern (Arriva Rail North) (/showthread.php?tid=235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 21 Sep 2015

Am I missing something here? No Heworth - http://www.northernrail.org/pdfs/timetables/20151005/4.pdf

RE: Northern Rail - 8222 - 21 Sep 2015

(21 Sep 2015, 4:47 pm)Andreos1 Am I missing something here? No Heworth - http://www.northernrail.org/pdfs/timetables/20151005/4.pdf

They sometimes bunch them up on timetables like this one. I think the principal section is from Newcastle to Carlisle, hence why Heworth doesn't feature in this one but does on the Newcastle/MetroCentre to Middlesborough/Nunthorpe - if that makes sense?

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 21 Sep 2015

(21 Sep 2015, 5:01 pm)8222 They sometimes bunch them up on timetables like this one. I think the principal section is from Newcastle to Carlisle, hence why Heworth doesn't feature in this one but does on the Newcastle/MetroCentre to Middlesborough/Nunthorpe - if that makes sense?

Yeah, your explanation makes sense.
When I saw there was a temp timetable revision, thought it best to check.

Saw Heworth was missing from the timetable and rail replacement page, so naturally thought something was up.

RE: Northern Rail - Diamond One - 23 Sep 2015

http://m.shieldsgazette.com/news/girl-14-was-victim-of-fatal-train-collision-on-newcastle-to-sunderland-line-1-7474247

RE: Northern Rail - MrFozz - 23 Sep 2015

(23 Sep 2015, 2:16 am)Diamond One http://m.shieldsgazette.com/news/girl-14-was-victim-of-fatal-train-collision-on-newcastle-to-sunderland-line-1-7474247
Thoughts and Prayers go out to that family today...

I kind of know what they must be going through having lost a mate in a similar way 15 years ago [CRYING FACE]

RE: Northern Rail - DanPicken - 26 Sep 2015

The 1154 to Hexham from Newcastle left Heworth at 1157 and when we raced at Felling I could see why it was rammed and it was a Pacer...

RE: Northern Rail - NK53 TKT - 26 Sep 2015

(20 Sep 2015, 7:46 pm)R852 PRG A one-under I believe. Unfortunate.

Oh dear

RE: Northern Rail - LeeCalder - 26 Sep 2015

(26 Sep 2015, 11:07 am)DanPicken The 1154 to Hexham from Newcastle left Heworth at 1157 and when we raced at Felling I could see why it was rammed and it was a Pacer...

It left Heworth 17L...

14:42 - This train has been delayed at Hartlepool by 10 minutes, and has been further delayed at Newcastle and is now 16 minutes late. This is due to Congestion of the Line.

(26 Sep 2015, 12:26 pm)LeeCalder It left Heworth 17L...

14:42 - This train has been delayed at Hartlepool by 10 minutes, and has been further delayed at Newcastle and is now 16 minutes late. This is due to Congestion of the Line.

Really Wink

RE: Northern Rail - omnicity4659 - 26 Sep 2015

(26 Sep 2015, 12:26 pm)LeeCalder It left Heworth 17L...

DBTW have priority between Pelaw Junction and South Hylton, DBTW services have probably gone t**s up hence 'congestion on the line'.

RE: Northern Rail - BJ10VUS - 26 Sep 2015

(26 Sep 2015, 12:35 pm)NK53 TKT Really Wink

The line between Pelaw Junction and Sunderland is really busy, and timings have to be fairly precise, or it gets congested quickly. A few years ago, one of the four Metro services per hour between South Hylton and the Airport would skip Millfield in order to save a minute or two, in order to get on to the line at Sunderland in time. The timings have since changed, with all services stopping at Millfield.

RE: Northern Rail - Dan - 26 Sep 2015

(26 Sep 2015, 12:36 pm)GX03 SVC DBTW have priority between Pelaw Junction and South Hylton, DBTW services have probably gone t**s up hence 'congestion on the line'.

Are you sure?

I regularly get the 1532 Metro from Gateshead to Sunderland and both this and the Northern Rail train get to Pelaw for around 1540. In all of the times I've used this particular journey in the past seven months, the Northern Rail train has always gone through first (even when the Metro departs Pelaw before the Northern train comes close). It's annoying because the Metro can be sat up at the top of the junction for up to 4 or 5 minutes.

I can only cast my mind back to one occasion where I was on a late-running Northern service and it got stuck behind a Metro, which delayed it even further.

(26 Sep 2015, 12:47 pm)Dan Are you sure?

I regularly get the 1532 Metro from Gateshead to Sunderland and both this and the Northern Rail train get to Pelaw for around 1540. In all of the times I've used this particular journey in the past seven months, the Northern Rail train has always gone through first (even when the Metro departs Pelaw before the Northern train comes close). It's annoying because the Metro can be sat up at the top of the junction for up to 4 or 5 minutes.

I can only cast my mind back to one occasion where I was on a late-running Northern service and it got stuck behind a Metro, which delayed it even further.

It is annoying when you wait on a metro at Pelaw

RE: Northern Rail - omnicity4659 - 26 Sep 2015

Nexus and DBTW have access rights for 6tph in both directions, these have priority over any other service. 

As the Northern service will already be near or in the 'block', it's easier to hold the Metro at Pelaw for the Northern service to pass.

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 26 Sep 2015

(26 Sep 2015, 1:33 pm)GX03 SVC Nexus and DBTW have access rights for 6tph in both directions, these have priority over any other service. 

As the Northern service will already be near or in the 'block', it's easier to hold the Metro at Pelaw for the Northern service to pass.

Whilst that is true in a number of cases, I have been on a Northern Rail that has had to hold back, due to a Metro in front.

It makes sense to let the Northern through, seeing as it is an 'express', but it won't always happen like that.

RE: Northern Rail - Bus_User - 26 Sep 2015

Well that got nothing to do with priority as every Northern train which departs Heworth at 37 mins past the hour will always be allowed ahead of the metro train which departs at Heworth at a similar time due to the timetable. Of course it also depends on how far the Northern train is behind but if its a certain distance behind, then the Metro would be allowed infront. 

Looking at RTT, then it seems the Metro departed about 5 mins even before the DELAYED Northern train has arrived and the fact it was delayed is another factor as apparently, if network rail delayed a metro train to allow a delayed train priority, then Network Rail  would have to pay Nexus a certain amount per min the metro would be delayed*

Whenever I look at RTT though, the 11:30 Northern train always seems to be delayed, any reasons for this, is it a pathing issue on the Durham Coast line?

*admittedly, not sure how true that is but its something I read about in the past.

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 26 Sep 2015

(26 Sep 2015, 12:36 pm)GX03 SVC DBTW have priority between Pelaw Junction and South Hylton, DBTW services have probably gone t**s up hence 'congestion on the line'.

Not sure where you've heard that from as it isn't true.

Trains get signalled on the network to their schedule. If any delays occur then this may not happen; trains are therefore regulated for others to keep PPM statistics up.

No operator has priority over another; except in the case of classifications (ie an express [Class 1] service should get priority over a stopper [Class 2]).
With T&WM services being Class 2s as well as Northern services they get regulated as and when necessary.

You'll get some boxes/panels which aren't as efficient (my personal hatred being Motherwell) and Tyneside aren't massively brilliant either (the significant difference being Tyneside IECC is mostly computer controlled).

RE: Northern Rail - Michael - 29 Sep 2015

Northern train to Hexham, which left Sunderland at 8:30 is changing trains at Newcastle.

According to the conductor bloke, a train is already at Newcastle... and is leaving from platform 7.

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 29 Sep 2015

(29 Sep 2015, 7:39 am)Michael Northern train to Hexham, which left Sunderland at 8:30 is changing trains at Newcastle.

According to the conductor bloke, a train is already at Newcastle... and is leaving from platform 7.

Occasionally happens for any number of reasons. Small issue on that set requiring it to go straight to Heaton, strategic move to get it to another depot/location that evening, move to get it to cover less miles before it's next at booked depot, lack of fuel..................... etc.

RE: Northern Rail - Bus_User - 06 Oct 2015

I was on 156454 yesterday which is the first Class 156unit which recieved some new DDA Modifications including a new DDA toilet, interior Passenger information screens/announcements, electronic destination blinds and new door release sounders. 

In terms of the passenger information announcements, I do feel there is a little bit too much information on them for me personally and if your on a frequent stopper service, they could be quite grating but apart from that, they seem fine too me. 

The electronic blinds, I'm not too keen on the font, it seems a little too small but I only saw one destination which is "Newcastle Cent" so it might of been small because of that. Unlike the Scotrails 156, the destination was not scrolling. Also I'm not sure why Northern feels it has to put "Newcastle Cent" on, looks a bit unprofessional, they should either make the blind so it scrolls along or just have "Newcastle" on. It be interesting too see how Middlesbrough has been programmed, whether its scrolled along or squished on. 

The DDA toilet is quite impressive and quite a vast improvment to say the least, very modern and easy too use also. The new door release sounders are 5 beeps(perhaps a few too many beeps I feel) and the door button on the exterior has also been changed. 

Just to note, interior wise, excluding some differences around the new DDA Toilet, the interior remains unchanged.

I'm assuming this unit will be done as a trial but will Northern give this treatment to other 156's or will it be down to the next franchise? If its down to the next franchise, they have got quite a alot of work to do before the 2020 deadline(unless they can get an extension) with 144's(potentially) 150's, conversions of 153's to 155 and then upgrading the 156's and I think the 158's need doing also. Not only that but i believe the new franchise will also have to completely refurbished all these carriages also. 

I'm not quite sure what the situation will be with Northern's electric fleet though.