North East Buses
Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Northern (Arriva Rail North) (/showthread.php?tid=235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 10 Dec 2015

(10 Dec 2015, 11:42 am)Michael Hahaha, Burger King has toilets but i'm not sure the public can use them and tbh i have no idea where they would go in the station.

Ye, when we see that revamp, its being going on for years.... lol

Going solely by the location of the Milligans, the station offices and Burger King and where their water/drainage facilities will be - the most cost effective way, would be to place the toilets on that side of the station.

If they went elsewhere, then there will be the costs associated with diverting or extending the pipes from the existing facilities or from the buildings on Fawcett Street.

RE: Northern Rail - MrFozz - 10 Dec 2015

(10 Dec 2015, 11:42 am)Michael Hahaha, Burger King has toilets but i'm not sure the public can use them and tbh i have no idea where they would go in the station.

Ye, when we see that revamp, its being going on for years.... lol
The public do use them though, I have certainly never been told when I have used Burger Kings toilets 😀

RE: Northern Rail - Jimmi - 10 Dec 2015

(10 Dec 2015, 12:02 pm)MrFozz The public do use them though, I have certainly never been told when I have used Burger Kings toilets 😀
Surprising considering I went in there once and they kicked right off because I brought a bottle of Pepsi in with me, wasn't even going to drink it, sorry for saving the planet by not getting a carrier bag!

(10 Dec 2015, 12:14 pm)Jimmi Surprising considering I went in there once and they kicked right off because I brought a bottle of Pepsi in with me, wasn't even going to drink it, sorry for saving the planet by not getting a carrier bag!
woe betide anyone who steps into BK with a drink not purchased from there [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

RE: Northern Rail - omnicity4659 - 10 Dec 2015

It's great news that Arriva Rail North Ltd have won the Northern Rail franchise. I look forward to the improvements that are to come in the next two or three years. "Northern" and "Northern Connect" looks promising, especially for the lines that need the most investment (Newcastle to Carlisle and Newcastle to Middlesbrough).

It won't need much of a rebrand - especially that everything will be called either "Northern" or "Northern Connect".

I look forward to travelling with "Northern" in the future.

How would the branding work

Would Northern Connect simply be a brand under the Northern Banner or will Northern Connect be a seperate entity under the Arriva banner...

if that makes sense 😀

RE: Northern Rail - omnicity4659 - 10 Dec 2015

(10 Dec 2015, 2:41 pm)MrFozz How would the branding work

Would Northern Connect simply be a brand under the Northern Banner or will Northern Connect be a seperate entity under the Arriva banner...

if that makes sense ?

"Northern" and "Northern Connect" will be under the "Northern" banner. 

The current Arriva branding on websites etc is just to build up the ego of the new company.

I just thought Northern and Northern Connect would have been seperate entities under Arriva

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 10 Dec 2015

(10 Dec 2015, 2:55 pm)MrFozz I just thought Northern and Northern Connect would have been seperate entities under Arriva

From the outside looking in and reading between the lines, it looks like a branding exercise - similar to what we see on the buses.
Northern is the bog standard corporate brand and Northern Connect is the Max/Sapphire equivalent.

RE: Northern Rail - Mark P - 10 Dec 2015

Imagine that.... a Sapphire 142 [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 12 Dec 2015

(10 Dec 2015, 8:49 pm)Mark P Imagine that.... a Sapphire 142 [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

There's putting lipstick on a pig...

Forgot to mention the email that the current Northern are sending out.

Exciting new service from April 1 

HELLO xxxx AND WELCOME

...to this very special Northern Rail newsletter. The Department for Transport (DfT) announced that Arriva has won the bid to run the next Northern franchise with more than £1 billion being invested in new trains, better stations and services for customers across the north of England.
The next franchise, will come with a new look and lots of exciting developments to look forward to, delivering the following fantastic plans:

removal of all pacer trains by the end of 2019
£400 million investment in 281 brand new air-conditioned carriages - more than double the minimum required in the government's Invitation to Tender.
more than 2,000 extra services each week, with around 400 additional Sunday services, including new direct journeys from Bradford to Wakefield, Sheffield, Nottingham, Liverpool and Hull; from Leeds to Chester and Bridlington; from Lincoln to Leeds; and from Manchester Airport to Warrington, Bradford and Halifax.
nearly a 40% increase in capacity - creating space for 31,000 extra passengers travelling into the five key commuter cities (Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and Newcastle) of the North during the morning rush-hour.
a new high-quality 'Northern Connect' service, meaning new or refurbished trains on longer-distance services, faster journeys and stations staffed daily with catering services and free Wi-Fi at each one. As well as serving the five key commuter cities, this network will also serve other destinations including Bradford, Halifax, Blackburn, Accrington, Burnley, Lincoln, Worksop and Retford.
improved ticketing, including mobile and print-at-home tickets, and discounted fares for jobseekers.

It continues, giving a link that can be clicked to obtain further updates.

I assume all passenger data will be forwarded on to Arriva, not too dissimilar to when VTEC emerged on the ECML.

RE: Northern Rail - 8222 - 20 Dec 2015

Hope this guy was OK.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/patient-airlifted-to-hospital-with-serious-injuries-after-being-struck-by-train-in-seaham-1-7634756

RE: Northern Rail - Michael - 27 Dec 2015

TRAVEL: No service on Northern Rail between Newcastle and Carlisle because of a landslide at Haydon Bridge.

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 27 Dec 2015

Trains running between Newcastle and Hexham. Not cancelled for the full route.

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 27 Dec 2015

156490 is out on Bishop runs today

RE: Northern Rail - BusLoverMum - 05 Jan 2016

Another one

NRtimetable4 ‏@NRtimetable4 12m12 minutes ago

NEW: Due to a landslip between #Newcastle and #Carlisle all lines are blocked. Road transport is in place.

RE: Northern Rail - DanPicken - 07 Jan 2016

(05 Jan 2016, 4:13 pm)BusLoverMum Another one

NRtimetable4 ‏@NRtimetable4 12m12 minutes ago

NEW: Due to a landslip between #Newcastle and #Carlisle all lines are blocked. Road transport is in place.

Back running for now.

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 07 Jan 2016

(07 Jan 2016, 7:37 am)DanPicken Back running for now.

It isn't.
There is an obstruction on the line between Hexham and Prudhoe.
Westbound trains are going as far as Prudhoe at the moment.

RE: Northern Rail - DanPicken - 07 Jan 2016

(07 Jan 2016, 7:53 am)Andreos1 It isn't.
There is an obstruction on the line between Hexham and Prudhoe.
Westbound trains are going as far as Prudhoe at the moment.

BBC News said its re opened however the Northern Rail website says its still shut.

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 07 Jan 2016

(07 Jan 2016, 8:04 am)DanPicken BBC News said its re opened however the Northern Rail website says its still shut.

The landslide was cleared, but a tree is now blocking it.