North East Buses
Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Northern (Arriva Rail North) (/showthread.php?tid=235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 24 Jan 2016

(24 Jan 2016, 6:37 pm)Jimmi I spotted two in November/December on normal weekday workings in the form of 156479 and 156484.
https://flic.kr/p/ANspfG
https://flic.kr/p/A9vK95

I have had 2 or 3 and seen some heading in the opposite direction when on a 142. Seen them at Darlo, when heading south or if kicking about on Teesside.
Unfortunately, I haven't always noted which ones were operating the routes.
Maybe should have done, to see if there had been some swaps.

RE: Northern Rail - Diamond One - 25 Jan 2016

(10 Dec 2015, 9:42 am)Michael I think they are.

I'm glad Arriva Northern are giving us better services.... the Metrocentre is well served though....... 

Sunderland station needs doing - would be good for Arriva Northern to install toilets etc, hopefully when the station gets done (near Burger King etc), these will be installed....
they need toilets in the past while waiting for a train usually i either hold on for as long as possible due to lack of toilets or go to the nearest pub
(10 Dec 2015, 11:42 am)Michael Hahaha, Burger King has toilets but i'm not sure the public can use them and tbh i have no idea where they would go in the station.

Ye, when we see that revamp, its being going on for years.... lol
at least it won't be crap no pun intended but your making me chuckle with these toilet jokes lol
(24 Jan 2016, 6:38 pm)tyresmoke As seen here at Stockton - very rare up this way! Albeit to become regular over the next few years

[Image: 23957397784_6d87e1e1e2.jpg]
Northern Rail 158787 by Scott Cooper, on Flickr

would love to ride these do you think some will go from Carlisle and possibly further beyond Middlesbrough has happened before in the past i once got a train from Manchester to Middlesbrough to Heworth years ago back in 2004 then i remember getting home to an episode of Shameless it's the one where Frank Gallagher fakes his own death to get rid of bailiffs and ended up blowing the house in series 1 

anyways back on topic do you think it should extend a little to beyond Middlesbrough and only get as far as Manchester?

RE: Northern Rail - LeeCalder - 25 Jan 2016

(25 Jan 2016, 12:58 am)Diamond One anyways back on topic do you think it should extend a little to beyond Middlesbrough and only get as far as Manchester?

Why? They would be running in direct competition with First TransPennine Express who already offer a service from Middlesbrough to Manchester Airport/Piccadilly/Victoria.

RE: Northern Rail - MrFozz - 25 Jan 2016

(20 Dec 2015, 12:49 pm)8222 Hope this guy was OK.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/patient-airlifted-to-hospital-with-serious-injuries-after-being-struck-by-train-in-seaham-1-7634756

Been a while since this was posted, I hopre the guy hit by the train made/does make some kind of recovery.

Bit off topic, I remember getting arrested years ago and the Policeman who actually was something of a friend to me was telling me about the moment he was dispatched to the scene of a nasty crash at the Lord Byrons Walk Level Crossing, 2 'so called friends' of mine were involved, and 2 weeks previously I let them talk me into a pact of suicide.

He explained he was one of the first on the scene, the car was a mess, it had travelled along Byrons Walk at about 70/80mph and flipped when it hit the Crossing...What the Policeman told me absolutely stunned me rigid, he was hoping to find the driver and front passenger dead, I was absolutely stunned...He would later tell me the Suicide investigation was still very much a live one and he wanted to spare me the trauma of answering questions, of which, some were gonna be very personal and wanted to spare me from being potentially cross-examined in a court room...Luckily it never happened that way...

anyway back to topic [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 25 Jan 2016

(25 Jan 2016, 8:08 am)LeeCalder Why? They would be running in direct competition with First TransPennine Express who already offer a service from Middlesbrough to Manchester Airport/Piccadilly/Victoria.

Wasn't privatisation of the railways supposed to offer competition?

(25 Jan 2016, 8:49 am)Andreos1 Wasn't privatisation of the railways supposed to offer competition?
I thought Privatisation was about conpetition [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

RE: Northern Rail - tyresmoke - 25 Jan 2016

(25 Jan 2016, 12:58 am)Diamond One would love to ride these do you think some will go from Carlisle and possibly further beyond Middlesbrough has happened before in the past i once got a train from Manchester to Middlesbrough to Heworth years ago back in 2004 then i remember getting home to an episode of Shameless it's the one where Frank Gallagher fakes his own death to get rid of bailiffs and ended up blowing the house in series 1 

anyways back on topic do you think it should extend a little to beyond Middlesbrough and only get as far as Manchester?

Yes 158s are planned to operate Carlisle-Middlesbrough services from 2019 under the Northern Connect (long distance business links) brand. You can ride them any time in and around Yorkshire

(25 Jan 2016, 8:50 am)MrFozz I thought Privatisation was about conpetition [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

That was 'the plan' apparently!

You only need to look and see how little choice there is for us passengers, out there on the railways.

The majority of the competition only ever happens at tendering time unfortunately.

(25 Jan 2016, 9:17 am)Andreos1 That was 'the plan' apparently!

You only need to look and see how little choice there is for us passengers, out there on the railways.

The majority of the competition only ever happens at tendering time unfortunately.
As I dont use the railways much, where is the Competition in this Area...

Northern seem to pretty much dominate local runs with FTPE having a look in between Middlesbrough and York, Grand Central down to Northallerton, VTEC, XC and FTPE down the ECML and the odd ScotRail service through the Tyne Valley with VTEC and XC going North of Toon with Northern as well...

I have always said someone should come up with a proposal for passenger traffic Leamside and Stillington Lines to try and attract more competition for Tyne-Tees Runs and maybe medium haul regional services

RE: Northern Rail - Diamond One - 25 Jan 2016

(25 Jan 2016, 8:08 am)LeeCalder Why? They would be running in direct competition with First TransPennine Express who already offer a service from Middlesbrough to Manchester Airport/Piccadilly/Victoria.
It has happened before under the Norther Spirit Trans Pennine Express in the past went on one once with my mam when I was little to Manchester for the day
(25 Jan 2016, 8:50 am)tyresmoke Yes 158s are planned to operate Carlisle-Middlesbrough services from 2019 under the Northern Connect (long distance business links) brand. You can ride them any time in and around Yorkshire
At least it will be no more pacers some say the pacers will end up scrapped while some say they will be sold out of the country I once read a report the pacers before the ones we have now some are with Weardale railway others with Iran

(25 Jan 2016, 10:27 am)Diamond One It has happened before under the Norther Spirit Trans Pennine Express in the past went on one once with my mam when I was little to Manchester for the day
At least it will be no more pacers some say the pacers will end up scrapped while some say they will be sold out of the country I once read a report the pacers before the ones we have now some are with Weardale railway others with Iran
I used to goto Liverpool a lot on Northern Spirit 158s back in the late 90's when I was doing stuff with a Youth Group

(25 Jan 2016, 10:26 am)MrFozz As I dont use the railways much, where is the Competition in this Area...

Northern seem to pretty much dominate local runs with FTPE having a look in between Middlesbrough and York, Grand Central down to Northallerton, VTEC, XC and FTPE down the ECML and the odd ScotRail service through the Tyne Valley with VTEC and XC going North of Toon with Northern as well...

I have always said someone should come up with a proposal for passenger traffic Leamside and Stillington Lines to try and attract more competition for Tyne-Tees Runs and maybe medium haul regional services

Apart from the ECML between York and Newcastle, there is very little competition.
North of Newcastle, VTEC and XC share the load.
With TPX getting an extension, I suppose you could argue there will be some competition up there in the future.

The Scotrail service along the Tyne Valley is just an extension of the Northern services and isn't really competition.

You could argue GC compete with Northern on the Durham Coast line.

Mind, when GC applied for their open-access routing, NX or GNER (can't remember who had it at the time), argued that the competition would down the ECML would harm their business.

However, when you look at who owns these toc's, there isn't much competition at all.
Northern (soon to be), XC and GC are all owned by Arriva/DB.
Obviously you have the Metro, which competes with Northern on the Newcastle - Sunderland line, which is operated by Arriva's parent company.
VTEC is Stagecoach/Virgin.
TPEX is First.

So despite there being some slight competition in some areas, 66% of the rail network in the NE will be Arriva/DB owned/operated from April onwards.

(25 Jan 2016, 10:57 am)Andreos1 Apart from the ECML between York and Newcastle, there is very little competition.
With TPX getting an extension, I suppose you could argue there will be some competition up there in the future.

The Scotrail service along the Tyne Valley is just an extension of the Northern services and isn't really competition.

Mind, when GC applied for their open-access routing, NX or GNER (can't remember who had it at the time), argued that the competition would down the ECML would harm their business.

However, when you look at who owns these toc's, there isn't much competition at all.
Obviously you have the Metro, which competes with Northern on the Newcastle - Sunderland line, which is operated by Arriva's parent company.
TPEX is First.

So despite there being some slight competition in some areas, 66% of the rail network in the NE will be Arriva/DB owned/operated from April onwards.
What kind of number would that be if you took into account Arrivas bus services in the area, they pretty much seem dominate West and South of Durham, South Northumberland, Darlington, Middlesbrough and Cleveland over to Whitby

RE: Northern Rail - South Tyne Lad - 25 Jan 2016

Though your comment will be correct In 2017, When the Ordsall Chord opens allowing Manchester Aiport services to run through Piccadliy without crossing the Throat.
At the Minute only Newcastle - Liverpool services are the only TPE service through Victoria bar a few Edinburgh services on a Weekend morning which start from Victoria over Chat Moss and onto the WCML

RE: Northern Rail - South Tyne Lad - 25 Jan 2016

(25 Jan 2016, 10:57 am)Andreos1 Apart from the ECML between York and Newcastle, there is very little competition.

TPEX is First.

Though competition is one of the things about Privatisation, Train Paths on Very busy routes can affect how many operators can operate services with Network Rail and the DFT having the power to Truncate services at for example Derby instead of Sheffield.

In the Network Rail ECML RUS Document, It suggests that to get 3x VTEC and 2x TPE on the ECML by 2019, Would require the loss of the Plymouth XC Service between Leeds and Newcastle leaving only 1x Crosscountry service a hour between York and Newcastle ( The Reading Service ) Though if the remaining Freight Path between Northallerton and Newcastle is Compromised, Then the Plymouth XC  can still run to Newcastle though will make XC loose competition  ( Albeit both will HAVE to terminate at Central Station see below )

On the section between Newcastle and Edinburgh, By 2019 2x VTEC a Hour, 1x TPE and 1x Local or Semi Fast Path ( Proposed Scotrail Service ) a 1x class 4 or 6 Freight Path and the 1x Northern Morpeth Service can be accommodated
XC are not allowed to run through to Edinburgh and beyond by 2019 to make way for 2x VTEC and 1x TPE, XC will loose all competition on this Section.

And with 3x VTEC and 2x TPE confirmed between Newcastle and York, 1x XC will have to be lost from this section.

Be expected to hear this in the news in the next few years.

EDIT : on both sections 1x Open Access path is also included

RE: Northern Rail - citaro5284 - 25 Jan 2016

Anger as the new trains for Northern are built by the Spanish

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/637291/Scandalous-Fury-Spanish-company-contract-build-trains

(25 Jan 2016, 4:59 pm)South Tyne Lad Though competition is one of the things about Privatisation, Train Paths on Very busy routes can affect how many operators can operate services with Network Rail and the DFT having the power to Truncate services at for example Derby instead of Sheffield.

In the Network Rail ECML RUS Document, It suggests that to get 3x VTEC and 2x TPE on the ECML by 2019, Would require the loss of the Plymouth XC Service between Leeds and Newcastle leaving only 1x Crosscountry service a hour between York and Newcastle ( The Reading Service ) Though if the remaining Freight Path between Northallerton and Newcastle is Compromised, Then the Plymouth XC  can still run to Newcastle though will make XC loose competition  ( Albeit both will HAVE to terminate at Central Station see below )

On the section between Newcastle and Edinburgh, By 2019 2x VTEC a Hour, 1x TPE and 1x Local or Semi Fast Path ( Proposed Scotrail Service ) a 1x class 4 or 6 Freight Path and the 1x Northern Morpeth Service can be accommodated
XC are not allowed to run through to Edinburgh and beyond by 2019 to make way for 2x VTEC and 1x TPE, XC will loose all competition on this Section.

And with 3x VTEC and 2x TPE confirmed between Newcastle and York, 1x XC will have to be lost from this section.

Be expected to hear this in the news in the next few years.

EDIT : on both sections 1x Open Access path is also included

The very flaw in the privatisation aids competition argument.
If paths don't exist, then neither can competition or choice.
Whilst improved signalling may increase capacity, there is still a limit.

Then there is the case of privatisation, leading to a monopoly or domination by one toc in some areas - such as Arriva/Db in the North East or Go ahead on London commuter routes.

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 03 Feb 2016

156454 is out on the Darlington - Saltburn line again.
There may be another.

RE: Northern Rail - Jimmi - 05 Feb 2016

(03 Feb 2016, 3:50 pm)Andreos1 156454 is out on the Darlington - Saltburn line again.
There may be another.

156463 was on today. Complete with electronic destination screens.
[Image: 24539242670_7086b066c7.jpg]Northern Rail: 156463 by Jimmi's Transport Photos, on Flickr

RE: Northern Rail - South Tyne Lad - 05 Feb 2016

(05 Feb 2016, 4:24 pm)Jimmi 156463 was on today. Complete with electronic destination screens.
[Image: 24539242670_7086b066c7.jpg]Northern Rail: 156463 by Jimmi's Transport Photos, on Flickr

The LED Destination Screens are being fitted to all Heaton 156s as part of there PRM-TSI Modifications ( DDA for trains ) aswell as a accessible Toilet, Door Release alarms, Passenger Info Screens -
New Carpets, and Accessible Handrails.

Whilst the Tyne Valley is shut between Riding Mill and Hexham, The 156s allocated to Tyne Valley Diagrams will be used on other diagrams instead of 142s and so the 156s everyones seen the past few weeks is because of the Tyne Valley being cut in half and is not counted as rare