North East Buses
Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Northern (Arriva Rail North) (/showthread.php?tid=235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 05 Feb 2016

An announcemnt has been made about re-opening the Tyne Valley line.
Not too long at all by the sounds of it!

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 06 Feb 2016

(05 Feb 2016, 5:33 pm)South Tyne Lad The LED Destination Screens are being fitted to all Heaton 156s as part of there PRM-TSI Modifications ( DDA for trains ) aswell as a accessible Toilet, Door Release alarms, Passenger Info Screens -
New Carpets, and Accessible Handrails.

Whilst the Tyne Valley is shut between Riding Mill and Hexham, The 156s allocated to Tyne Valley Diagrams will be used on other diagrams instead of 142s and so the 156s everyones seen the past few weeks is because of the Tyne Valley being cut in half and is not counted as rare

Noted today.
Not the best photo unfortunately.

RE: Northern Rail - Bus_User - 08 Feb 2016

(05 Feb 2016, 5:33 pm)South Tyne Lad The LED Destination Screens are being fitted to all Heaton 156s as part of there PRM-TSI Modifications ( DDA for trains ) aswell as a accessible Toilet, Door Release alarms, Passenger Info Screens -

Whilst the Tyne Valley is shut between Riding Mill and Hexham, The 156s allocated to Tyne Valley Diagrams will be used on other diagrams instead of 142s and so the 156s everyones seen the past few weeks is because of the Tyne Valley being cut in half and is not counted as rare

I can definately confirm the former is not the case as the carpets are the same as when Northern's refresh programme took place whilst from my experiences, I have not seen any new accessible handrails. 

Got to say the text on the LED blinds are too small, whilst they are an improvment on the current roller blinds(which often are too hard too see cos of dirt covering the screen), I feel they could be better and should be more like ScotRails are, bold and clear and be able to scroll so having a destination of "Newcastle Cent"(which does not even fully fit) does not look right too me. Dread too think what they put for Middlesbrough for example!

RE: Northern Rail - Jimmi - 08 Feb 2016

(08 Feb 2016, 12:43 am)Bus_User I can definately confirm the former is not the case as the carpets are the same as when Northern's refresh programme took place whilst from my experiences, I have not seen any new accessible handrails. 

Got to say the text on the LED blinds are too small, whilst they are an improvment on the current roller blinds(which often are too hard too see cos of dirt covering the screen), I feel they could be better and should be more like ScotRails are, bold and clear and be able to scroll so having a destination of "Newcastle Cent"(which does not even fully fit) does not look right too me. Dread too think what they put for Middlesbrough for example!

Got to admit having seen some 156's with their new LED blinds, I have to say I don't like them and in some ways I actually find them harder to read than the roller blinds, the thin text especially makes it hard to read and I don't really have any problems with my eyesight either.

RE: Northern Rail - S813 FVK - 08 Feb 2016

The Tyne Valley Line has now reopened and trains are able to run direct from Newcastle to Carlisle.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35495699

RE: Northern Rail - South Tyne Lad - 08 Feb 2016

(08 Feb 2016, 12:43 am)Bus_User I can definately confirm the former is not the case as the carpets are the same as when Northern's refresh programme took place whilst from my experiences, I have not seen any new accessible handrails. 

The Accessible Handrails are on the Doors and are longer than the Originals for Disability Access. And are also painted in Purple to comply with PRM-TSI

The carpets were replaced in the refresh programme but if any carpets needs replacing in this programme, They will be replaced.

RE: Northern Rail - MrFozz - 08 Feb 2016

(05 Feb 2016, 4:24 pm)Jimmi 156463 was on today. Complete with electronic destination screens.
[Image: 24539242670_7086b066c7.jpg]Northern Rail: 156463 by Jimmi's Transport Photos, on Flickr
Loving your pics Jimmster...

Your getting good at this photography lark [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

RE: Northern Rail - Jimmi - 08 Feb 2016

(08 Feb 2016, 4:56 pm)MrFozz Loving your pics Jimmster...

Your getting good at this photography lark [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Cheers mate!

RE: Northern Rail - ted320 - 08 Feb 2016

As a regular user of the Durham Coast Line, I have to say the new automated announcements on the 156's are awful! Its information overload, especially when there are only a few minutes between stops. Are the automated announcements a DDA requirement too?

RE: Northern Rail - Bus_User - 09 Feb 2016

(08 Feb 2016, 8:52 pm)ted320 As a regular user of the Durham Coast Line, I have to say the new automated announcements on the 156's are awful!  Its information overload, especially when there are only a few minutes between stops.  Are the automated announcements a DDA requirement too?

It is information overload indeed and I still prefer the way of the guard telling us about the safety notices that most passengers don't even care about than the automated system blabbering on about such stuff.

Anyways just wondering, the new franchise says all existing stock(excluding the pacers and any units going off lease 323's for example) is planning on undergoing a refurbishment, I presume these DDA's improvements are just that and not an actual refurbishment?

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 09 Feb 2016

(08 Feb 2016, 8:52 pm)ted320 As a regular user of the Durham Coast Line, I have to say the new automated announcements on the 156's are awful! Its information overload, especially when there are only a few minutes between stops. Are the automated announcements a DDA requirement too?

I experienced it for the first time at the weekend and the section between Boro and Hartlepool was painful. No more painful than bus NSA's mind.
Beyond there, no issue - apart from the screens being stuck on the Sunderland cycle, despite being well past Sunderland.

RE: Northern Rail - South Tyne Lad - 09 Feb 2016

(09 Feb 2016, 8:59 am)Bus_User It is information overload indeed and I still prefer the way of the guard telling us about the safety notices that most passengers don't even care about than the automated system blabbering on about such stuff.

Anyways just wondering, the new franchise says all existing stock(excluding the pacers and any units going off lease 323's for example) is planning on undergoing a refurbishment, I presume these DDA's improvements are just that and not an actual refurbishment?

Yes the Heaton 156s are the second type of Northern Units to undergo PRM-TSI ( Not DDA ) and the Info Displays and Safety Announcements are a requirement of PRM-TSI.

Arriva will Overhual the whole unit, From the Wheels upwards and a Major interior refurbishment though the PRM-TSI Improvements will remain in the Train.

RE: Northern Rail - James101 - 09 Feb 2016

(05 Feb 2016, 5:33 pm)South Tyne Lad The LED Destination Screens are being fitted to all Heaton 156s as part of there PRM-TSI Modifications ( DDA for trains ) aswell as a accessible Toilet, Door Release alarms, Passenger Info Screens -

I would have though the best thing for visability for al users would be to incorperate a side mounted display by the passenger doors as per a Voyager or Pendalino unit.

RE: Northern Rail - Michael - 11 Feb 2016

Once again my Northern train from Sunderland to Newcastle is not a pacer...thank god!

Do not ask me what it is because i know nothing about trains... Wink

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 11 Feb 2016

(11 Feb 2016, 8:35 am)Michael Once again my Northern train from Sunderland to Newcastle is not a pacer...thank god!

Probably a 156 (the first 3 digits n the cab end are the giveaway), although a 158 was sighted on a Carlisle to Newcastle run yesterday.

RE: Northern Rail - Diamond One - 11 Feb 2016

(11 Feb 2016, 8:35 am)Michael Once again my Northern train from Sunderland to Newcastle is not a pacer...thank god!

They do the odd run the sprinters much prefer them over a pacer any day of the week

RE: Northern Rail - Diamond One - 11 Feb 2016

Got a nice high viz jacket from Northern Rail soon to be a rare item

16:30pm from Newcastle to Sunderland is a Pacer.... -.-

RE: Northern Rail - citaro5284 - 11 Feb 2016

(11 Feb 2016, 4:27 pm)Michael 16:30pm from Newcastle to Sunderland is a Pacer.... -.-

Well I had to suffer one from Carlisle to Newcastle yesterday, so you can suffer one today

(11 Feb 2016, 4:30 pm)citaro5284 Well I had to suffer one from Carlisle to Newcastle yesterday, so you can suffer one today

God, i would to be stuck on it for that long