North East Buses
Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Northern (Arriva Rail North) (/showthread.php?tid=235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 30 Mar 2016

One thing I have noticed over the last few weeks is a white sticker that is placed on any Northern signage on the train, such as posters.
Email addresses aren't covered.

The white stickers have also appeared at Northern managed stations.
Local tpe logos such as the West Yorks Metro and Tees Valley remain.

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 30 Mar 2016

(30 Mar 2016, 4:31 pm)Andreos1 One thing I have noticed over the last few weeks is a white sticker that is placed on any Northern signage on the train, such as posters.

That's the space for the new logo come 1st April Smile

(30 Mar 2016, 4:33 pm)northern156 That's the space for the new logo come 1st April Smile

And new literature too I would hope!

(30 Mar 2016, 4:36 pm)Andreos1 And new literature too I would hope!

In what sense?

Northern Rail - TEN 6083 - 30 Mar 2016

(30 Mar 2016, 9:08 am)8222 Good morning all,

I was wondering if anyone knows if there's going to be a new livery for the new Northern franchise? If so, does anyone know if they have a unit under wraps waiting to be unveiled?

https://flic.kr/p/FnUtn3

Might be similar to this one that's operating in Yorkshire

(30 Mar 2016, 4:57 pm)TEN 6083 https://flic.kr/p/FnUtn3

Might be similar to this one that's operating in Yorkshire

That's only of the Class 144 refurbished prototype. Nothing has been said about the new livery - if there will be one at this stage.
I personally doubt it would be the same as 144012; the colour scheme on it (purple and blue) seems the same as the current Serco/Abellio joint venture.

RE: Northern Rail - Adrian - 30 Mar 2016

(30 Mar 2016, 4:31 pm)Andreos1 One thing I have noticed over the last few weeks is a white sticker that is placed on any Northern signage on the train, such as posters.

(30 Mar 2016, 4:36 pm)Andreos1 And new literature too I would hope!

It's a difficult one. Companies obviously use their own FQDN for email addressing, and you wouldn't expect anything less. The incoming franchisee isn't providing customer services until the start of the contract, and the incumbent is expected to provide it until the end. Customers need to know where to write to. I'd imagine their customer services email address with the northernrail.org FQDN would be forwarded to the new address, for a set period of time.

I'd hope new timetables and such will be printed for the start of the franchise. You can't stick a little white sticker over every single timetable, so they've not much choice really. I can't recall whether Virgin had theirs ready for the ECML on day 1 or not?

(30 Mar 2016, 4:56 pm)northern156 In what sense?

Just that. On board literature, such as the 'be a hero' stuff, 'hello my carriage name is... and contact details'. The new tocs contact details need added in addition to removing any old stuff.
(30 Mar 2016, 5:20 pm)Adrian It's a difficult one. Companies obviously use their own FQDN for email addressing, and you wouldn't expect anything less. The incoming franchisee isn't providing customer services until the start of the contract, and the incumbent is expected to provide it until the end. Customers need to know where to write to. I'd imagine their customer services email address with the northernrail.org FQDN would be forwarded to the new address, for a set period of time.

I'd hope new timetables and such will be printed for the start of the franchise. You can't stick a little white sticker over every single timetable, so they've not much choice really. I can't recall whether Virgin had theirs ready for the ECML on day 1 or not?

It seems daft removing all trace of Northern Rail - apart from the email address, postal address and text numbers.
The new Northern are going to have to change them all regardless. Even if there is a period of forwarding on.
They may as well have left Northern Rail logos in place and not covered them up.

Totally understand why the name is being removed from stations though.
Interestingly, the station manager contact details aren't covered up in a big white sticker! Maybe those people are staying?

I can't remember the EC/VTEC handover to be honest. Whether it was the on board branding or railway station stuff.
Even though it was only a year ago!
I may have been in too much of a huff with the ending of rewards to actually notice!

RE: Northern Rail - tyresmoke - 31 Mar 2016

Pretty much guaranteed that a new livery will be introduced but only on new and refurbished units... So basically the current fleet will gain it as they go through the major refurbishment so that they meet the spec for the new franchise (none of the units do as things stand at day one...!). The new units will be delivered in the new livery obviously. I'm intrigued to see what it will look like, but don't forget they have the Northern Connect brand for longer distance services also.

RE: Northern Rail - South Tyne Lad - 31 Mar 2016

(31 Mar 2016, 2:54 pm)tyresmoke Pretty much guaranteed that a new livery will be introduced but only on new and refurbished units... So basically the current fleet will gain it as they go through the major refurbishment so that they meet the spec for the new franchise (none of the units do as things stand at day one...!). The new units will be delivered in the new livery obviously. I'm intrigued to see what it will look like, but don't forget they have the Northern Connect brand for longer distance services also.

I'm led to believe that the new livery is going to be similar to Arriva Trains Wales's Livery. ( Standard livery, Not Northern Connect )

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 31 Mar 2016

(31 Mar 2016, 2:57 pm)South Tyne Lad I'm led to believe that the new livery is going to be similar to Arriva Trains Wales's Livery. ( Standard livery, Not Northern Connect )

Where did you find this out? I've not seen any single mention of the new livery.

RE: Northern Rail - South Tyne Lad - 31 Mar 2016

(31 Mar 2016, 3:25 pm)northern156 Where did you find this out? I've not seen any single mention of the new livery.

A post from a rail insider on RailUKForums.

RE: Northern Rail - omnicity4659 - 31 Mar 2016

Northern website

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 11 Apr 2016

Caught a Northern 156 with the NSA's for the first time since the new franchise started.

The NSA's haven't been re-recorded. However the 'Rail' from Northern Rail days has been edited out.

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 11 Apr 2016

(11 Apr 2016, 7:12 pm)Andreos1 Caught a Northern 156 with the NSA's for the first time since the new franchise started.

The NSA's haven't been re-recorded. However the 'Rail' from Northern Rail days has been edited out.

Not been on one yet to try it, but is the editing out of 'Rail' noticeable?

Wish they would get rid of 'Central' from Newcastle though; it's shoddy and unprofessional.

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 11 Apr 2016

(11 Apr 2016, 8:51 pm)northern156 Not been on one yet to try it, but is the editing out of 'Rail' noticeable?

Wish they would get rid of 'Central' from Newcastle though; it's shoddy and unprofessional.

Yeah it is pretty noticeable. 
Not the best editing job in the world.

I can't replicate it fully but it goes something like 'This is your Northern R service to...'

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 11 Apr 2016

(11 Apr 2016, 9:05 pm)Andreos1 Yeah it is pretty noticeable. 
Not the best editing job in the world.

I can't replicate it fully but it goes something like 'This is your Northern R service to...'

Just re-iterates my 'shoddy and unprofessional' speech above..!

RE: Northern Rail - Bus_User - 11 Apr 2016

(11 Apr 2016, 8:51 pm)northern156 Not been on one yet to try it, but is the editing out of 'Rail' noticeable?

I still don't understand why they put "central" in their new electronic displays on the front, especially seeing as they don't actually fit the whole screen nor does it scroll!

Speaking of the displays for me, how can they be approved for DDA standards when the text on them are so small!? Carlisle is really tiny and surely can't be seen from a distance, why oh why have they not followed the Scotrail idea of having big bold text and in any larger destinations, they actually scroll!

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 12 Apr 2016

(11 Apr 2016, 10:33 pm)Bus_User I still don't understand why they put "central" in their new electronic displays on the front, especially seeing as they don't actually fit the whole screen nor does it scroll!

Speaking of the displays for me, how can they be approved for DDA standards when the text on them are so small!? Carlisle is really tiny and surely can't be seen from a distance, why oh why have they not followed the Scotrail idea of having big bold text and in any larger destinations, they actually scroll!

You're quite right. Regarding Newcastle, it is not used anywhere else in the industry as 'Central'; it is merely a local term. The Metro uses it but as a different version (ie dropping 'Newcastle').

They're the same displays (both interior and exterior) as the recent Class 319 refurbishment so there have been a fair few bought and used - surely they would be DDA compliant etc although I wouldn't hold my breath...

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 12 Apr 2016

(11 Apr 2016, 9:19 pm)northern156 Just re-iterates my 'shoddy and unprofessional' speech above..!

The station signs have had a make over too.
The manager signs have been plastered with the white stickers I mentioned previously.
So Paul still has his photo displayed. But there is no way you can get in touch with him, as his contact details are covered up.

(12 Apr 2016, 2:08 am)northern156 You're quite right. Regarding Newcastle, it is not used anywhere else in the industry as 'Central'; it is merely a local term. The Metro uses it but as a different version (ie dropping 'Newcastle').

They're the same displays (both interior and exterior) as the recent Class 319 refurbishment so there have been a fair few bought and used - surely they would be DDA compliant etc although I wouldn't hold my breath...

I don't have an issue with them using Central on their displays/announcements. Particularly as the Northern trains stop at Manors.
Ideally Central would be preceded by Newcastle.
However, do you then precede Manors with Newcastle?