North East Buses
Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Northern (Arriva Rail North) (/showthread.php?tid=235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 30 Dec 2014

(21 Dec 2014, 9:38 am)leestransportphotos Personally I hope the Pacers are withdrawn pretty soon, and we get some 158's they are my favourite Northern train, and I'd love to see them in the North East

158s won't happen. Some occasionally go to Heaton for overhauls and major exams but putting them into service would require a lot of crew training.

If you're saying 142s should be gone, this will do nothing but decrease the chances of 158s to be in the north east - 142s are used pretty well across the Northern region, Manchester, Preston, Leeds etc all heavily use them as well as 158s.

I've heard a rumour that ex-London D87 tube stock are going to be totally remade into 2, 3 and 4-car DMUs which would be used for 142 replacements. However this is just a rumour I've heard.

Would like to throw it into the topic that I quite like 142s. The engine sounds on some are brilliant and more importantly, they're unique - I'm hoping a few will be preserved when they eventually go.

RE: Northern Rail - R852 PRG - 30 Dec 2014

(30 Dec 2014, 7:38 pm)northern156 158s won't happen. Some occasionally go to Heaton for overhauls and major exams but putting them into service would require a lot of crew training.

If you're saying 142s should be gone, this will do nothing but decrease the chances of 158s to be in the north east - 142s are used pretty well across the Northern region, Manchester, Preston, Leeds etc all heavily use them as well as 158s.

I've heard a rumour that ex-London D87 tube stock are going to be totally remade into 2, 3 and 4-car DMUs which would be used for 142 replacements. However this is just a rumour I've heard.

Would like to throw it into the topic that I quite like 142s. The engine sounds on some are brilliant and more importantly, they're unique - I'm hoping a few will be preserved when they eventually go.

I too don't mind Pacers - would rather have a 156, but hey ho!

That Underground stock would be interesting, sure Andreos put a link about it on here a while back! Wink

I read somewhere 142s are modelled after buses or something, don't get me wrong - but I think it's the Leyland National? Smile

(30 Dec 2014, 8:27 pm)MarcTheA4 I read somewhere 142s are modelled after buses or something, don't get me wrong - but I think it's the Leyland National? Smile

Certainly are. All members of the Pacer fleet are - 141, 142, 143 and 144. 

RE: Northern Rail - Dan - 30 Dec 2014

(30 Dec 2014, 7:38 pm)northern156 Would like to throw it into the topic that I quite like 142s. The engine sounds on some are brilliant and more importantly, they're unique - I'm hoping a few will be preserved when they eventually go.

Peasant! Absolute blasphemy! 

RE: Northern Rail - R852 PRG - 30 Dec 2014

(30 Dec 2014, 8:56 pm)Dan Peasant! Absolute blasphemy! 

The Great Sean is entitled to his opinion.

(30 Dec 2014, 8:56 pm)Dan Peasant! Absolute blasphemy! 

Oh, go and join the flock of sheep waiting alongside will you...  Cool

RE: Northern Rail - tyresmoke - 30 Dec 2014

Bit of positive PR for Northern is that the 321/333 fleets are having free wi-fi installed at present.

RE: Northern Rail - Andreos1 - 31 Dec 2014

http://m.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/11662319.Pacers_could_be_replaced_by_old_London_Underground_trains__union_claims/

There's the tube replacing 142 link.

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 31 Dec 2014

Knew it was somewhere and that you'd posted it before, Andreos - cheers!

RE: Northern Rail - Tommy1581 - 01 Jan 2015

Northern Rail website saying that all services are running "Good Service" even though none are running up here.

RE: Northern Rail - Y961 XBU - 01 Jan 2015

There are now 3 Class 319s sat in Allerton Depot fully repainted

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 12 Jan 2015

Just a heads-up for everyone. Please share this around so as many people as possible can see it!

http://www.northernrail.org/JP2015?utm_campaign=Flat_fare_B+v2&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=
Northern Rail are running a promotion/offer which gives you the chance to buy an all-route Northern Day Ranger for just £10 (I don't think these are ordinarily available) or you can get a weekend ranger for £17.50.
To do this you have to collect two tokens from a list of specially selected newspapers (these papers are on a list on the website above). The three I have noticed for the North East are the Morpeth Herald, Hartlepool Mail and the Sunderland Echo.

You must get these tokens from the above newspapers printed before the 23rd January 2015, complete the form and buy your ticket from any staffed ticket office (ie Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Hexham, Carlisle etc).

Travel is available between 24 January and 15 March 2015 (excluding 14 - 22 February).

Note this is for the whole Northern Rail network which runs from Carlisle, Newcastle, Morpeth and all the way south to Crewe, Nottingham, Doncaster, Cleethorpes and also serving York, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield etc etc.
This ticket will not be valid for travel to get to the likes of York from the North East. The only ways you can get to Yorkshire via Northern Rail are via the Settle & Carlisle line to Leeds, or the Cumbrian Coast route through Workington and Whitehaven to Lancaster.

Otherwise you will have to buy a ticket for the route you'd like (for example, Newcastle to York or Carlisle to Preston).

This is £10 for adults (16 and over) or £5 for children. As stated you can get a Weekend ranger for £17.50 or £8.50 for children.
Please check the T&Cs on the above link.

RE: Northern Rail - Adrian - 12 Jan 2015

Thanks for sharing!

RE: Northern Rail - Dan - 12 Jan 2015

That's tremendous value for money!

RE: Northern Rail - Y961 XBU - 13 Jan 2015

(12 Jan 2015, 7:28 pm)northern156 Just a heads-up for everyone. Please share this around so as many people as possible can see it!

http://www.northernrail.org/JP2015?utm_campaign=Flat_fare_B+v2&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=
Northern Rail are running a promotion/offer which gives you the chance to buy an all-route Northern Day Ranger for just £10 (I don't think these are ordinarily available) or you can get a weekend ranger for £17.50.
To do this you have to collect two tokens from a list of specially selected newspapers (these papers are on a list on the website above). The three I have noticed for the North East are the Morpeth Herald, Hartlepool Mail and the Sunderland Echo.

You must get these tokens from the above newspapers printed before the 23rd January 2015, complete the form and buy your ticket from any staffed ticket office (ie Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Hexham, Carlisle etc).

Travel is available between 24 January and 15 March 2015 (excluding 14 - 22 February).

Note this is for the whole Northern Rail network which runs from Carlisle, Newcastle, Morpeth and all the way south to Crewe, Nottingham, Doncaster, Cleethorpes and also serving York, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield etc etc.
This ticket will not be valid for travel to get to the likes of York from the North East. The only ways you can get to Yorkshire via Northern Rail are via the Settle & Carlisle line to Leeds, or the Cumbrian Coast route through Workington and Whitehaven to Lancaster.

Otherwise you will have to buy a ticket for the route you'd like (for example, Newcastle to York or Carlisle to Preston).

This is £10 for adults (16 and over) or £5 for children. As stated you can get a Weekend ranger for £17.50 or £8.50 for children.
Please check the T&Cs on the above link.

Where did you find out the Ticket was not valid on them lines mate?

And how many tokens is it per paper?

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 13 Jan 2015

(13 Jan 2015, 1:47 am)Y961 XBU And how many tokens is it per paper?
I guess there will be one per paper. I don't know if you can get two copies of the same paper or whether it has to be on a different date - it has to be two in total anyway.

Two tokens get you up to four of these tickets - however the group MUST stay together, otherwise the ticket is invalid.

Northern Rail - R852 PRG - 13 Jan 2015

I'll try and get my hands on a copy of the Sunderland Echo then! Smile

One thing i forgot to ask is can you only get this Promotional Ticket once?

RE: Northern Rail - northern156 - 13 Jan 2015

(13 Jan 2015, 2:53 pm)Y961 XBU One thing i forgot to ask is can you only get this Promotional Ticket once?

I was thinking this myself. Depending on whether you have to use your MyNorthern account to get the form - in that case yes. But there is nothing stopping you setting up multiple MyNorthern accounts with separate email addresses. I'd recommend going to another ticket office to do this though, as it could be viewed as fraud if found out?