North East Buses
Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 (/showthread.php?tid=2378)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - scanialover - 14 Mar 2020

The changes to service 7, Darlington-Durham are interesting? Leaving out Durham Gate at non-peak times should help with punctuality. What it worrying though is the statement that there is to be more buses between 0700 and 0900 and that most of these will be operated by double deck vehicles. Let's hope then that the Darlington maintainance team get their act together!

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - mb134 - 15 Mar 2020

(14 Mar 2020, 9:56 pm)scanialover The changes to service 7, Darlington-Durham are interesting? Leaving out Durham Gate at non-peak times should help with punctuality. What it worrying though is the statement that there is to be more buses between 0700 and 0900 and that most of these will be operated by double deck vehicles. Let's hope then that the Darlington maintainance team get their act together!

Don't see how an increase in buses can be seen as worrying. PVR increases are, generally, accompanied with an increase of vehicles at the respective depot(s).

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - Rob44 - 17 Mar 2020

bloody toe rags!!

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18309377.group-youths-target-arriva-bus-haughton-road-darlington/

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - scanialover - 17 Mar 2020

There is a very straightforward answer to this sort of behaviour ? Withdraw the services and have the timetable operating around a 6am to 6pm 12 hour timeframe. Controversial yes but putting lives and vehicles at risk for the few measly quid in revenue they generate ? Is it worth it ?

Come the day and the fast escalating Corona virus situation though are we going to have buses for these mindless imbiciles to terrorise ! Now that is scary !

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - Andreos1 - 17 Mar 2020

(17 Mar 2020, 7:02 pm)scanialover There is a very straightforward answer to this sort of behaviour ? Withdraw the services and have the timetable operating around a 6am to 6pm 12 hour timeframe. Controversial yes but putting lives and vehicles at risk for the few measly quid in revenue they generate ? Is it worth it ?

Come the day and the fast escalating Corona virus situation though are we going to have buses for these mindless imbiciles to terrorise ! Now that is scary !

It happened at 5pm though...

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - scanialover - 17 Mar 2020

Hadn't read that bit. Was that enraged at what, again has happened, and being allowed to. You've probably guessed it but having been involved in this sort of thing it makes me rather angry.

I walked away from the job 2-3 years ago when my vehicle was attacked in almost similar circumstances. The matter had been reported numerous times and when I refused to work a particular shift where this sort of behaviour was seen as the norm you know what the response from "management" was? You've got it and I beat them to it.

Anyone got any news, thoughts, 'inside' information about what could be happening to our bus networks as a result of the Corona virus?

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - Cock Robin - 17 Mar 2020

(17 Mar 2020, 7:02 pm)scanialover There is a very straightforward answer to this sort of behaviour ? Withdraw the services and have the timetable operating around a 6am to 6pm 12 hour timeframe. Controversial yes but putting lives and vehicles at risk for the few measly quid in revenue they generate ? Is it worth it ?

Its not straightforward at all. Why should bus users suffer just because of the toerags? They won't be bothered if the buses came off.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - Jimmi - 18 Mar 2020

Can happen at any time in the day, especially in Darlington and I believe that this has been done in Darlington before and other areas locally. Been a few issues with little toe rags causing issues for Arriva Darlington lately, a Solo was recently robbed of its emergency exit hammers which may or may not have been used to smash the glass in bus shelters which led to the bus being kept off the road until they could be replaced. Firth Moor is often a trouble area for Arriva with buses being pelted with stuff, gas buses weren't allowed on service 2 in the evenings due to windows regularly being put out (gas more expensive to replace on them than a Solo) , deckers banned from evening 7s at one point for similar reasons, South Bank is another problem area.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - scanialover - 18 Mar 2020

It was South Bank, service 64a that proved to be my departure point from the industry. After repeated attacks on drivers and vehicles it was my turn working a 64a board, it was most unsettling. Despite reassurances from management and the curtailment, for a time, it happened again. This time to a colleague and then on the following evening working the same shift I simply refused to operate the part that worked through the affected area. It wasnt just that the led me to walk though? The whole attitudes and behaviours towards drivers doing their best in trying and far to often, dangerous circumstances by some the residents in that area was frankly deplorable and being sat in the situation of no defence with management and customer services leaning towards them proved to be the catalyst.

End of the day and moving forward I wonder how they'll cope when services get withdrawn? We're heading that way.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - tyresmoke - 18 Mar 2020

(17 Mar 2020, 9:22 pm)scanialover Anyone got any news, thoughts, 'inside' information about what could be happening to our bus networks as a result of the Corona virus?
Everyone moving to Saturday service levels starting Monday.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - scanialover - 18 Mar 2020

Thanks Scott. That's an interesting one as it doesn't, as far as I can see, significantly change things.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - Cock Robin - 18 Mar 2020

(18 Mar 2020, 9:25 pm)tyresmoke Everyone moving to Saturday service levels starting Monday.

Bloody hell

Why "bloody hell", I don't get that. Obviously service levels have to/should change as the demands have, and are changing. But how the operators deal with this is a real tricky one.

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - streetdeckfan - 19 Mar 2020

For most services changing to a Saturday service will make little to no difference for a passenger. It's mostly just the early and late journeys that change.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - Ianthegoon - 19 Mar 2020

streetdeckfan For most services changing to a Saturday service will make little to no difference for a passenger. It's mostly just the early and late journeys that change.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Can't help but feel that this approach will cause problems for those still working to get to work first thing.  Would it have been better to generally thin the service during the daytime (Weekday and Saturday often the same outside the peaks, so perhaps thin to a Sunday or Enhanced Sunday service) but maintain the early morning commuter runs?

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - scanialover - 19 Mar 2020

I was surprised when this was announced but would suggest that given the ever developing and changing situation this could be just an interim measure.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - streetdeckfan - 19 Mar 2020

(19 Mar 2020, 7:30 am)Ianthegoon Can't help but feel that this approach will cause problems for those still working to get to work first thing.  Would it have been better to generally thin the service during the daytime (Weekday and Saturday often the same outside the peaks, so perhaps thin to a Sunday or Enhanced Sunday service) but maintain the early morning commuter runs?

Issue with that is that some services don't run on a Sunday, so I think they'd have been better off doing it on a route by route basis.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - tvd - 19 Mar 2020

(18 Mar 2020, 10:06 am)scanialover It was South Bank, service 64a that proved to be my departure point from the industry. After repeated attacks on drivers and vehicles it was my turn working a 64a board, it was most unsettling. Despite reassurances from management and the curtailment, for a time, it happened again. This time to a colleague and then on the following evening working the same shift I simply refused to operate the part that worked through the affected area. It wasnt just that the led me to walk though? The  whole attitudes and behaviours towards drivers doing their best in trying and far to often, dangerous circumstances by some the residents in that area  was frankly deplorable and being sat in the situation of no defence with management and customer services leaning towards them proved to be the catalyst.

End of the day and moving forward I wonder how they'll cope when services get withdrawn? We're heading that way.

i'm surprised you got grief for refusing to drive through there after there'd already been several attacks. Health and Safety, and all that..

Years ago the Loftus drivers often decided to omit places like Liverton Mines or Skinningrove if they were running late, or couldnt be bothered, or fancied another cuppa or whatever! It was a regular thing for them to take it upon themselves to do, not sure if they were more militant than most or just had very poor/zero management at Loftus or what. But it happened regularly, and that was without any vandalism being an issue.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020 - Ianthegoon - 19 Mar 2020

streetdeckfan Issue with that is that some services don't run on a Sunday, so I think they'd have been better off doing it on a route by route basis.
Oh, absolutely!  The point for me was that the early "workers" services were being trimmed out, but with M-F and Sat daytime frequencies usually being pretty much the same, there would be very little reduction in staff needed.  Route-by-route definitely the way to go Wink