North East Buses
Remaining Scania L94s post-lockdown - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Remaining Scania L94s post-lockdown (/showthread.php?tid=2385)

Pages: 1 2 3

Remaining Scania L94s post-lockdown - V514DFT - 14 Apr 2020

April Discussion

Remaining Scania L94s pre-lockdown - col87 - 20 Apr 2020

How many of the Wright solar are left in operation or where before lockdown. They always seemed decent buses to ride on whenever I used to get the old X35 from Hartlepool.

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2020 - Dan - 20 Apr 2020

(20 Apr 2020, 3:01 pm)col87 How many of the Wright solar are left in operation or where before lockdown. They always seemed decent buses to ride on whenever I used to get the old X35 from Hartlepool.

8 - all allocated to Deptford and used on service 35.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2020 - cbma06 - 20 Apr 2020

(20 Apr 2020, 3:05 pm)Dan 8 - all allocated to Deptford and used on service 35.

I heard a rumour don’t know how much is true that when new streetdecks arrive for the X45 sequence, the RK streetlites arrive at deptford, there be going on the 55 with the citarios going on the 35?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2020 - col87 - 20 Apr 2020

(20 Apr 2020, 3:17 pm)cbma06 I heard a rumour don’t know how much is true that when new streetdecks arrive for the X45 sequence, the RK streetlites arrive at deptford, there be going on the 55 with the citarios going on the 35?

I can't see 55 working very well with streetlites.  I would make so most journey are double Deckers.  In fact the 55 is quite a strange service considering the 23 gets to Sunderland a lot quicker and can't see many people from Hartlepool needing to go to Doxford Park.

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2020 - cbma06 - 20 Apr 2020

(20 Apr 2020, 3:31 pm)col87 I can't see 55 working very well with streetlites.  I would make so most journey are double Deckers.  In fact the 55 is quite a strange service considering the 23 gets to Sunderland a lot quicker and can't see many people from Hartlepool needing to go to Doxford Park.

55 doesn’t warrant double deckers, the 55 is not in direct competition with Arriva 23 between Hartlepool and Sunderland, should bring back the X6/X7 Hartlepool/Oakerside to Sunderland and disconnect it with the X20, and extend the X5/X15 from Durham to Sunderland replacing the X20

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2020 - stagecoachbusdepot - 20 Apr 2020

(20 Apr 2020, 3:05 pm)Dan 8 - all allocated to Deptford and used on service 35.

Is the 35 one of the most downgraded routes in the network?  I remember when it was the Laser with new Mercs....can't remember now but did the downgrade to Solars coincide with the loss of the Shields section, or something else?  Presume the route that remains is (in normal times - not re Covid) not lucrative hence the downgrade if so?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2020 - L469 YVK - 20 Apr 2020

(20 Apr 2020, 3:39 pm)cbma06 55 doesn’t warrant double deckers, the 55 is not in direct competition with Arriva 23 between Hartlepool and Sunderland, should bring back the X6/X7 Hartlepool/Oakerside to Sunderland and disconnect it with the X20, and extend the X5/X15 from Durham to Sunderland replacing the X20

Where would the extra StreetDecks come from?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2020 - Andreos1 - 20 Apr 2020

(20 Apr 2020, 8:23 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Is the 35 one of the most downgraded routes in the network?  I remember when it was the Laser with new Mercs....can't remember now but did the downgrade to Solars coincide with the loss of the Shields section, or something else?  Presume the route that remains is (in normal times - not re Covid) not lucrative hence the downgrade if so?

It was a mixed allocation at one point. Not enough Mercs, so they stuck Solars on to make up the PVR. 
All downhill from there. There's been all sorts of changes and variations to what was (apparently) a very popular, money making group of services.

The Mercs went to other depots, the route was reduced in frequency and now it is entirely made up of Solars - bar a few boards which run on to contracted runs.
Not sure if it was an intentional downgrade or simply a consequence of the eminox upgrade contract specs.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2020 - JP6004 - 20 Apr 2020

(20 Apr 2020, 8:52 pm)Andreos1 It was a mixed allocation at one point. Not enough Mercs, so they stuck Solars on to make up the PVR. 
All downhill from there. There's been all sorts of changes and variations to what was (apparently) a very popular, money making group of services.

The Mercs went to other depots, the route was reduced in frequency and now it is entirely made up of Solars - bar a few boards which run on to contracted runs.
Not sure if it was an intentional downgrade or simply a consequence of the eminox upgrade contract specs.
They did try to sort allocation out by proposing 35 being curtailed at Sunderland and increasing frequency of the 20. All the citaros were to be allocated to 35 and the remaining L94 to make up PVR increase on 20.

However customers rejected the proposal in consultation. The exhaust modifications not long followed, so they had to be allocated to Sunderland services. Same as the Green Arrow L94 had to be allocated to Gateshead services

The original proposed changes were implemented in 2014 possibly? Then obviously the Streetlites came in 2016. As the solars had to remain at Deptford as per contract, I believe the citaros were shipped out to upgrade other services.

Correct me if wrong peeps but think that was general jist

(20 Apr 2020, 8:23 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Is the 35 one of the most downgraded routes in the network?  I remember when it was the Laser with new Mercs....can't remember now but did the downgrade to Solars coincide with the loss of the Shields section, or something else?  Presume the route that remains is (in normal times - not re Covid) not lucrative hence the downgrade if so?

Angel was just as downgraded prior to B5s being received in 2012...

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2020 - Adtrainsam - 20 Apr 2020

When the 35 got the Mercs in 2008, it was one of Go North East’s flagship routes and ran every 10 minutes. I remember in 2011/ 12 that apparently the routes took too long to get from Houghton to Sunderland so they had an A, B and C variant as well. After the changes in 2014, they made it become a 35, 35A and 36, but the Mercs couldn’t do the 36, something to do with being operated out of Chester or cars in Fence Houses. The passenger numbers fell, which might’ve been because of the frequency. Then the Mercs got taken away from the 35 and many people switched to the 20. I think this goes to show that nice buses and decent frequency attract passengers. I would like to see Go North East ‘revitalise’ these services (obviously once Covid 19 has played out) and I think it would be a good money maker for them.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2020 - stagecoachbusdepot - 20 Apr 2020

(20 Apr 2020, 9:41 pm)JP6004 They did try to sort allocation out by proposing 35 being curtailed at Sunderland and increasing frequency of the 20. All the citaros were to be allocated to 35 and the remaining L94 to make up PVR increase on 20.

However customers rejected the proposal in consultation. The exhaust modifications not long followed, so they had to be allocated to Sunderland services. Same as the Green Arrow L94 had to be allocated to Gateshead services

The original proposed changes were implemented in 2014 possibly? Then obviously the Streetlites came in 2016. As the solars had to remain at Deptford as per contract, I believe the citaros were shipped out to upgrade other services.

Was that when they stupidly went for Omnicities for the busiest corridor on the network?  Or the arrival of the Vykings and other ex London tat?

(20 Apr 2020, 8:52 pm)Andreos1 It was a mixed allocation at one point. Not enough Mercs, so they stuck Solars on to make up the PVR. 

I forgot about the mixed allocation with the Solars operating alongside the Mercs on the Laser for a good while.

It's odd to think the 35 was one of the first of the 'Gold Standard' services to look at what it's now become.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2020 - L469 YVK - 20 Apr 2020

(20 Apr 2020, 9:41 pm)JP6004 They did try to sort allocation out by proposing 35 being curtailed at Sunderland and increasing frequency of the 20. All the citaros were to be allocated to 35 and the remaining L94 to make up PVR increase on 20.

Reasons the Angel got downgraded was as follows:

- Extra B7TL Geminis required for the X9/X10.

- Split allocation of single & double decks didn't work so Omnicities were swapped for Percy Main's lolynes.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2020 - JP6004 - 20 Apr 2020

(20 Apr 2020, 10:37 pm)L469 YVK Reasons the Angel got downgraded was as follows:

- Extra B7TL Geminis required for the X9/X10.

- Split allocation of single & double decks didn't work so Omnicities were swapped for Percy Main's lolynes.

Yes that's right, the omnicites bought for 21 transferred to Percy Main.

Believe the Tridents and Presidents operated it after that. Then came the "upgrade" in the form of dual door Vykings in 2009. Before being downgraded again with V reg Presidents?

(20 Apr 2020, 10:34 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Was that when they stupidly went for Omnicities for the busiest corridor on the network?  Or the arrival of the Vykings and other ex London tat?

I forgot about the mixed allocation with the Solars operating alongside the Mercs on the Laser for a good while.

It's odd to think the 35 was one of the first of the 'Gold Standard' services to look at what it's now become.

Yes the vykings.

If the changes planned had taken effect first time round, all the mercs would of been allocated to 35 and all the L94 to the 20. It was a culmination of things that lead to the downgrade of the 35

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2020 - Andreos1 - 21 Apr 2020

Yeah, I think that's about right from what I understand. 
Notice they still went ahead with the Shields extension for the 20 a couple of years later. Mind, that was after the shambolic consultation event in Park Lane.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2020 - JP6004 - 21 Apr 2020

(21 Apr 2020, 9:47 am)Andreos1 Yeah, I think that's about right from what I understand. 
Notice they still went ahead with the Shields extension for the 20 a couple of years later. Mind, that was after the shambolic consultation event in Park Lane.

But to be fair, the route between Shields and Sunderland was practically identical. I didnt see an issue between curtailing 35 at Sunderland and increasing the frequency of the 20

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2020 - Andreos1 - 21 Apr 2020

(21 Apr 2020, 9:51 am)JP6004 But to be fair, the route between Shields and Sunderland was practically identical. I didnt see an issue between curtailing 35 at Sunderland and increasing the frequency of the 20

Suppose it depends where people are going to and from. 
Direct links to the hospitals were lost, retail (the big Tesco as an example) too.

It will be OK for some to change buses and potentially pay more for their journey in the form of a day ticket, rather than singles/returns.
Not for others though.

(21 Apr 2020, 10:02 am)Andreos1 Suppose it depends where people are going to and from. 
Direct links to the hospitals were lost, retail (the big Tesco as an example) too.

It will be OK for some to change buses and potentially pay more for their journey in the form of a day ticket, rather than singles/returns.
Not for others though.

Think there was only a handful of journeys a day where people went to hospital from shields to Sunderland section. Sure there was something said in the media at the time. But I think with the new ticketing system, travel patterns etc will provide huge insight which will allow service changes to meet the needs of the majority of people. I think this is why the changes that have been introduced haven't been on such a large scale and tend to be more timetable amendments

(21 Apr 2020, 10:10 am)JP6004 Think there was only a handful of journeys a day where people went to hospital from shields to Sunderland section. Sure there was something said in the media at the time. But I think with the new ticketing system, travel patterns etc will provide huge insight which will allow service changes to meet the needs of the majority of people. I think this is why the changes that have been introduced haven't been on such a large scale and tend to be more timetable amendments

I agree that the new machines will provide all sorts of data, a lot more accurate than the machines of yore. Even if a sample of data is used, its bound to be a lot more accurate than previous.

Quite how they determined there was just a handful of people using that stretch and felt that that data was accurate enough to make the changes they did, is anyones guess. Particularly with the knock-on effect it had on services like the 35.

(21 Apr 2020, 11:09 am)Andreos1 I agree that the new machines will provide all sorts of data, unavailable or more accurate than the machines of yore. Even if a sample of data is used, it will be a lot more accurate than previous. 

Quite how they determined there was just a handful of people using that stretch and felt that that data was accurate enough to make the changes they did, is anyones guess. Particularly with the knock-on effect it had on services like the 35.
Well recordings for people buy ticket to hospital would of been available I would suspect. Along with general observations from drivers etc