North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 27 Feb 2015

(27 Feb 2015, 9:36 pm)MrFozz From Aycliffe, he would have to go down to Darlo to come back up

Would still be quicker?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 27 Feb 2015

(27 Feb 2015, 9:34 pm)Tom If you get a North West Explorer you could go to Central Lakes too. 

Could you not get the train to Newcastle?

I would love to do some of the lakes at some point.

Probably could get the train to/from Newcastle to speed things up and maybe stay out later. It helps that Arriva extended the last 7 from Durham at 2315 to Newton Aycliffe last year as before that it only ran as far as Ferryhill meaning the last journey to Aycliffe was at 2215.

(27 Feb 2015, 9:39 pm)Jimmi I would love to do some of the lakes at some point.

Probably could get the train to/from Newcastle to speed things up and maybe stay out later. It helps that Arriva extended the last 7 from Durham at 2315 to Newton Aycliffe last year as before that it only ran as far as Ferryhill meaning the last journey to Aycliffe was at 2215.

Yeah there is a 508 directly to Windermere which is a stunning route and has a B10M sometimes from Carlisle.

Then you could possibly get 73 back to Carlisle from Keswick as that is a nice route too. 

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MrFozz - 27 Feb 2015

Could anyone give me an idea of what tickets Northern do, I have just come up with a plan I fancy doing about August

Sunderland-Carlisle
Carlisle-Leeds
Leeds-York
York-Durham, Newcastle or Sunderland...

I have always wanted to ride Settle-Carlisle line

(27 Feb 2015, 9:37 pm)Tom Would still be quicker?

It wouldn't be much faster and there is only a train from Aycliffe - Darlington every 2 hours so really I'd have to get the bus to Darlington which would take over 30 minutes to get to Darlo then I have about 10 minutes walk and I like to be there in plenty of time so it's easier and cheaper to get the buses to Newcastle.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MrFozz - 27 Feb 2015

(27 Feb 2015, 9:43 pm)Jimmi It wouldn't be much faster and there is only a train from Aycliffe - Darlington every 2 hours so really I'd have to get the bus to Darlington which would take over 30 minutes to get to Darlo then I have about 10 minutes walk and I like to be there in plenty of time so it's easier and cheaper to get the buses to Newcastle.
And you just need an explorer ticket, keeps the costs down as you would have to buy an NAY-NCL return Big Grin

(27 Feb 2015, 9:43 pm)Jimmi It wouldn't be much faster and there is only a train from Aycliffe - Darlington every 2 hours so really I'd have to get the bus to Darlington which would take over 30 minutes to get to Darlo then I have about 10 minutes walk and I like to be there in plenty of time so it's easier and cheaper to get the buses to Newcastle.

You could get the 7 to Durham arriving at 0614, then you could get the 0636 X2 to Newcastle?
You could then get the 0745 85 to Carlisle, using an Arriva Day Ticket, arrivng into Carlisle at 0956.

(27 Feb 2015, 9:46 pm)Tom You could get the 7 to Durham arriving at 0614, then you could get the 0636 X2 to Newcastle?

You could then get the 0745 85 to Carlisle, using an Arriva Day Ticket, arrivng into Carlisle at 0956.

Jesus that's early! It was bad enough when I had to get up and out for the 0637 journey to college one morning when we went on a trip to Birmingham.

Yeah would have to be weekday as the first 7 on a Saturday isn't until just after 7am and the connecting X2 gets into Newcastle at the same time the 0845 Stagecoach 685 leaves so have to wait another hour unless I got the train to Newcastle from Durham.

(27 Feb 2015, 9:52 pm)Jimmi Jesus that's early! It was bad enough when I had to get up and out for the 0637 journey to college one morning when we went on a trip to Birmingham.

Yeah would have to be weekday as the first 7 on a Saturday isn't until just after 7am and the connecting X2 gets into Newcastle at the same time the 0845 Stagecoach 685 leaves so have to wait another hour unless I got the train to Newcastle from Durham.

Haha if you want to get to Central Lakes and back in a day then you have to leave early!
Could you not stay over? We only paid £35 per night for a Premier Inn in Kendal and it was well worth it. 

(27 Feb 2015, 9:56 pm)Tom Haha if you want to get to Central Lakes and back in a day then you have to leave early!

Could you not stay over? We only paid £35 per night for a Premier Inn in Kendal and it was well worth it. 

Probably could do although I possibly could do a whole day out providing I could recover the next day. Probably would be better staying in a hotel as I'd have more time to explore in one day and not have to worry about getting home and return the next day although this would cost more.

(27 Feb 2015, 10:03 pm)Jimmi Probably could do although I possibly could do a whole day out providing I could recover the next day. Probably would be better staying in a hotel as I'd have more time to explore in one day and not have to worry about getting home and return the next day although this would cost more.

Aye if you stayed in a hotel you could even venture to Blackpool and Lancaster, and possibly Preston. 

This is the hotel I was talking about and if you look closely you could probably find a room for £29.

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/KENTAB/kendal-central

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 27 Feb 2015

(27 Feb 2015, 10:07 pm)Tom Aye if you stayed in a hotel you could even venture to Blackpool and Lancaster, and possibly Preston. 

This is the hotel I was talking about and if you look closely you could probably find a room for £29.

You must be on commission for Premier Inn. Tongue

(27 Feb 2015, 10:15 pm)aureolin You must be on commission for Premier Inn. Tongue

Aye Wink

Nah they are just really good quality for the money. Some of the hotels in the lakes are a rip off and that is the cheapest I can find unless you want to stay in a Travelodge in the middle of nowhere Tongue

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 27 Feb 2015

(27 Feb 2015, 10:17 pm)Tom Aye Wink

Nah they are just really good quality for the money. Some of the hotels in the lakes are a rip off and that is the cheapest I can find unless you want to stay in a Travelodge in the middle of nowhere Tongue

Aye they're not bad Premier Inns. I may try that Kendel one and have a trip through the lakes, if I can get a decent rate when I'm off work.

(27 Feb 2015, 10:19 pm)aureolin Aye they're not bad Premier Inns. I may try that Kendel one and have a trip through the lakes, if I can get a decent rate when I'm off work.

Well it was really good when I stayed.

We were going to stay in Windermere but some were like £300 a night which was crazy. Cheapest was £100 I think!

(27 Feb 2015, 10:07 pm)Tom Aye if you stayed in a hotel you could even venture to Blackpool and Lancaster, and possibly Preston. 

I would like a trip to Blackpool too especially as I quite like Blackpool and they have new Mercedes Citaro's entering service in the next month or so.

(27 Feb 2015, 10:27 pm)Jimmi I would like a trip to Blackpool too especially as I quite like Blackpool and they have new Mercedes Citaro's entering service in the next month or so.

If you get the express 555 to Lancaster, you could get the 42 from there to Blackpool. Might be a rush getting back to Carlisle though.

(27 Feb 2015, 10:29 pm)Tom If you get the express 555 to Lancaster, you could get the 42 from there to Blackpool. Might be a rush getting back to Carlisle though.

Yeah I don't like tight times and risks that things may go wrong in these situations.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - roar - 28 Feb 2015

(27 Feb 2015, 9:43 pm)MrFozz Could anyone give me an idea of what tickets Northern do, I have just come up with a plan I fancy doing about August

Sunderland-Carlisle
Carlisle-Leeds
Leeds-York
York-Durham, Newcastle or Sunderland...

I have always wanted to ride Settle-Carlisle line

You want a North East round robin Details Here but you cant use it on the Durham Coast line so will have to start from Durham or Newcastle. emmmmm and its £47 for an adult for one day. I would personally go for the 4 in 8 North East Rail Rover Details Here and this is the map here, bigger area for £94 and 4 days travel.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 28 Feb 2015

(27 Feb 2015, 10:29 pm)Tom If you get the express 555 to Lancaster, you could get the 42 from there to Blackpool. Might be a rush getting back to Carlisle though.
Yeah, it's impossible to do it in one day.

I bought a North West 7-day Explorer last year during the summer, and even on the days where I used Northern Rail to/from Carlisle to speed things up, I couldn't cram everything in that I wanted to.

Going to the lakes and back in one day needs vigorous planning, and I'd suggest that it would perhaps be easier and more efficient to book a hotel if it's as cheap as £35 for a night. I left some very risky connections when I went, and luckily nothing went wrong, but some running was required.