North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MrFozz - 28 Feb 2015

(27 Feb 2015, 9:22 pm)Dan Well the invite was there but some of us don't like travelling huge distances!
And some of us has a phobia and/or allergy of any kind of contact with you

(27 Feb 2015, 7:01 pm)MarcTheA4 Possible plan for tomorrow:

#21 - Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace to Durham University Hospital
(10:03 --- 10:18) - GNE Volvo B5HL/Wright Gemini 2
About 10 minutes of taking photos at the Durham University Hospital
#Anything - Durham University Hospital to Durham Bus Station
(10:30ish --- 10:35ish) - GNE..could be anything depending on which service I opt for!
#50 - Durham Bus Station to Durham Arnison Centre Retail Park
(10:53 --- 11:02) - GNE Scania CN230UB/Scania OmniCity
About 20 minutes taking photos at a few spots around the Arnison Centre
#64 - Durham Arnison Centre Retail Park to Durham North Road
(11:30 --- 11:45) - ANE..anything...hopefully one of those Enviro200s again!
#X21 - Durham Bus Station to Bishop Auckland Bus Station
(11:55 --- 12:29) - GNE Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President
About half an hour of taking photos around Bishop Auckland Bus Station
#X21 - Bishop Auckland Bus Station to Durham Bus Station
(13:04 --- 13:39) - GNE Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President
#21 - Durham Bus Station to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace
(13:46 --- 14:03) - GNE Volvo B5HL/Wright Gemini 2

I'll get a Get Around day ticket for £3.75, I don't mind paying £1.70 on the 64 for another ride on an E200.
Is this still your plan today Marcy Boy Big Grin

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MrFozz - 28 Feb 2015

Might have a look at Durham today, possibly Wear Valley as well(Crook and Bishop), probably best staying from Newcastle and the Pegida Demo and the Newcastle Unites Counter Demo

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 28 Feb 2015

Left the house - should be on the 10:03 #21 to Durham my local stop.

Would be the 10:00 from CLS.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - citaro5284 - 28 Feb 2015

(28 Feb 2015, 9:44 am)MarcTheA4 Left the house - should be on the 10:03 #21 to Durham my local stop.

gann on Marcus....away you go!!

(28 Feb 2015, 9:44 am)MarcTheA4 Left the house - should be on the 10:03 #21 to Durham my local stop.

I reckon it will be bus 6070....

(28 Feb 2015, 9:56 am)citaro5284 I reckon it will be bus 6070....

Here we go again...you reckon...or you KNOW?! Tongue

(28 Feb 2015, 9:57 am)MarcTheA4 Here we go again...you reckon...or you KNOW?! Tongue

Well it is standing to do the 0957 from Black Horse so..

6065. Tongue

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 28 Feb 2015

(28 Feb 2015, 7:13 am)Dan Yeah, it's impossible to do it in one day.

I bought a North West 7-day Explorer last year during the summer, and even on the days where I used Northern Rail to/from Carlisle to speed things up, I couldn't cram everything in that I wanted to.

Going to the lakes and back in one day needs vigorous planning, and I'd suggest that it would perhaps be easier and more efficient to book a hotel[Image: arrow-10x10.png] if it's as cheap as £35 for a night. I left some very risky connections when I went, and luckily nothing went wrong, but some running was required.

Aye, and the 555 isn't the most reliable of services in the summer. Big loadings, increased traffic etc.

(28 Feb 2015, 10:12 am)MarcTheA4 6065. Tongue

So you heading towards Durham....he was the 0914 from Newcastle, I was heading the other way...doh!!

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Michael - 28 Feb 2015

(28 Feb 2015, 10:15 am)Tom Aye, and the 555 isn't the most reliable of services in the summer. Big loadings, increased traffic etc.

Defo, iv'e used it a few times during the summer although its one of the best routes in the lakes Big Grin

(28 Feb 2015, 10:17 am)Michael Defo, iv'e used it a few times during the summer although its one of the best routes in the lakes Big Grin

Yeah it's a stunning route especially the Grasmere-Keswick section.

Last summer they were often operating 10-15 minutes late so if you had a connection at Keswick you could easily miss it. 

I ended up doing a bit shopping for my mam...being the good son that I am...I will always be Mrs Forsters Baby Boy Big Grin

I wonder how Marcus is getting on.....with the dizzy heights of been in Bishop Auckland

(28 Feb 2015, 1:36 pm)citaro5284 I wonder how Marcus is getting on.....with the dizzy heights of been in Bishop Auckland
Come on Marcus...We need a sitrep pal

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 28 Feb 2015

The review will be up by 20:00 this evening, unfortunately I was in the process of writing it - 10 minutes in - 7 paragraphs - and I accidentally let my phone drop off the desk and it hit the switch - making the desktop die on me. #epicfail

However, I did take a few photos while I was out, and you can view this for the time being until my review is up! - https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@N02/

(28 Feb 2015, 3:04 pm)MarcTheA4 The review will be up by 20:00 this evening, unfortunately I was in the process of writing it - 10 minutes in - 7 paragraphs - and I accidentally let my phone drop off the desk and it hit the switch - making the desktop die on me. #epicfail

However, I did take a few photos while I was out, and you can view this for the time being until my review is up! - https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@N02/

Good shots Marcus Smile

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 28 Feb 2015

(28 Feb 2015, 4:12 pm)Tom Good shots Marcus Smile

Thanks.

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 28 Feb 2015

I haven't got a great deal to say about today's journeys, but find my log below nevertheless:

0906 Metro: Stadium of Light to Monument - Tyne & Wear Metro 4034
0945 #685: Newcastle to Carlisle - Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancashire 24123
1407 #685: Carlisle to Hexham - Arriva North East 4663
1547 #X85 Hexham to Newcastle - Go North East 5232
1638 Metro: Haymarket to Stadium of Light - Tyne & Wear Metro 4044

I have been meaning to go to Carlisle for quite a while now, as I've wanted a ride on Stagecoach's fairly new Enviro300s on the 685 to see how they compare to Arriva's OmniCitys and the previous coaches allocated. Unfortunately, a MANviro (usually allocate to service 79) turned up. I guess these are used above any other vehicle in Carlisle's fleet as they are equipped with high backed seating, but still lack the free Wi-Fi usually on offer. This proved quite irritating as for a substantial part of the 685 route, it's difficult to get signal. Those of you who have been out with me before know I find putting my phone down quite challenging, but on the plus side, at least today prepared me for future weekdays? I abandoned ship as soon as I could, arriving approximately 10 minutes late into Carlisle. Due to high traffic in the city centre, the bus actually arrived at the terminus a whopping 23 minutes late. I wasn't overly impressed with the MANviro, and will have to make a trip again in the future to sample one of the Enviro300s with coach-style seating.

I walked around the City Centre for a while and ended up at Stagecoach's depot in Carlisle. This allowed me to take a couple of photos of the remaining high-floor vehicles in the fleet and a few other photos of older vehicles kept indoors on Saturdays. Thankfully, I caught up with the Solo SR which is being trialled on Carlisle Town Services, which meant I was happy to head to the train station to add some variety to today's batch of photos. There was a heritage train of some sort pulled into the station and about 20 enthusiasts with cameras. I'm not entirely sure what was quite so special about the train but hopefully someone on here knows so I have something to say on Flickr about it later this evening when I upload the photos!

I headed back to the bus station after this and I was delighted to see an OmniCity which didn't carry Arriva's interurban livery, as this meant only one thing: 4663 was my chariot home! This example is not fitted with leather seating and seems to be a lot faster based on my previous journeys on it, so I was delighted to see it. The bus was reasonably full until Brampton but more or less empty after that. At last minute, I decided to hop off the 685 at Hexham and get the X85 back to Newcastle, as this would allow me to add Go North East to the list of vehicles travelled on today, and would mean I could use the Internet on the A69! The bus was warm and the driver seemed to be very skilled - he arrived into Eldon Square a few minutes early and this allowed me to head to Haymarket for my Metro home, making me more likely to get a seat (which I did!)

Hope you all enjoyed reading, and I apologise in advance for any typos as I wrote this on my phone during my Metro journey!