North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - DanPicken - 15 Mar 2015

12:17 #88 Inverness Road - South Shields ASDA GNE 603

Was a nice comfortable ride on a Dart. Just put my earphones in and enjoyed the ride.

Made my way down to the Ferry Landing and walked down the ramp just to see people getting off so went down and got on.

12:45 Ferry South Shields - North Shields

Sat down and looked out the window on my short 7 minute journey.

12:56 #333 Ferry Landing - Town Centre Phoenix Coaches 907

Not much to say apart from we struggle to get through the Fish Quay.

13:17 #900 North Shields - Four Lane Ends ANE 7470

Really nice ride had someone who had just came out of Newcastle Crown Court took an hour as we got stuck in alot of Temp Traffic Lights. Really enjoyable.

14:20 Metro Four Lane Ends - South Gosforth 4016

All I can say is the NSA was really quiet.

14:27 Metro South Gosforth - Regent Centre 4015

Saw a refurbished set replacing another one doing permissive working on P1 at Regent Centre.

14:35 #33 Regent Centre - Market Street KX12 ATO

Sounded alot like a 603. Had a really nice driver.

15:03 Metro Monument - Brockley Whins 4002

Really enjoyed the journey on 4002 as I've always loved 4001/2.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - tyresmoke - 15 Mar 2015

(15 Mar 2015, 8:51 am)danpick 12:17 #88 Inverness Road - South Shields ASDA GNE 603

Was a nice comfortable ride on a Dart. Just put my earphones in and enjoyed the ride.

Made my way down to the Ferry Landing and walked down the ramp just to see people getting off so went down and got on.

12:45 Ferry South Shields - North Shields

Sat down and looked out the window on my short 7 minute journey.

12:56 #333 Ferry Landing - Town Centre Phoenix Coaches 907

Not much to say apart from we struggle to get through the Fish Quay.

13:17 #900 North Shields - Four Lane Ends ANE 7470

Really nice ride had someone who had just came out of Newcastle Crown Court took an hour as we got stuck in alot of Temp Traffic Lights. Really enjoyable.

14:20 Metro Four Lane Ends - South Gosforth 4016

All I can say is the NSA was really quiet.

14:27 Metro South Gosforth - Regent Centre 4015

Saw a refurbished set replacing another one doing permissive working on P1 at Regent Centre.

14:35 #33 Regent Centre - Market Street KX12 AXO(?)

Sounded alot like a 603. Had a really nice driver.

15:03 Metro Monument - Brockley Whins 4002

Really enjoyed the journey on 4002 as I've always loved 4001/2.

Would be KX12ATO of A-Line on the 33

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - omnicity4659 - 15 Mar 2015

Here's a couple of outings from a few years back. I'm not totally sure on the types of buses that were in service at the time. 

Outing 1.

#X31? - Ashington 5th Avenue to Newcastle - Arriva serving Northumbria - Double deck vehicle
This outing was to go out with some of my mam's friends and their children etc, to go to the Metro Radio Arena to watch a show (possibly Thomas the Tank Engine), I must have only been 3 at the time.

#3?? then 441? - Newcastle to Ashington via Blyth? - Arriva serving Northumbria and/or Go North East Double Deck Vehicle(s)
All I remember on this trip was that I kept pressing the bell. I remember the bus went along Cowpen Road, Blyth.

Outing 2.

#X31/X21? - Ashington Bus Station to Newcastle Haymarket - Arriva North East - Double Deck Vehicle
I would assume that I was the age of 7 on this trip, basically a trip to KFC and Marks and Spencer's with my mam. I remember nearly falling off the seat when the bus was going around Bedlington.

#X31/X21? - Newcastle Haymarket to Ashington Bus Station - Arriva North East - Double Deck Vehicle
Can't remember much about the return.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - mb134 - 15 Mar 2015

(15 Mar 2015, 5:31 pm)Tommy_1581 Here's a couple of outings from a few years back. I'm not totally sure on the types of buses that were in service at the time. 

Outing 1.

#X31? - Ashington 5th Avenue to Newcastle - Arriva serving Northumbria - Double deck vehicle
This outing was to go out with some of my mam's friends and their children etc, to go to the Metro Radio Arena to watch a show (possibly Thomas the Tank Engine), I must have only been 3 at the time.

#3?? then 441? - Newcastle to Ashington via Blyth? - Arriva serving Northumbria and/or Go North East Double Deck Vehicle(s)
All I remember on this trip was that I kept pressing the bell. I remember the bus went along Cowpen Road, Blyth.

Outing 2.

#X31/X21? - Ashington Bus Station to Newcastle Haymarket - Arriva North East - Double Deck Vehicle
I would assume that I was the age of 7 on this trip, basically a trip to KFC and Marks and Spencer's with my mam. I remember nearly falling off the seat when the bus was going around Bedlington.

#X31/X21? - Newcastle Haymarket to Ashington Bus Station - Arriva North East - Double Deck Vehicle
Can't remember much about the return.
Probably would have been Olympians (M-FTY, P-CCU, or something that came from the Midlands), or an Enviro that they tried (and failed) to replace them with. (I say failed, obviously not now, but I remember after they came into service, rarely seeing them out and about)

Just re-read the first one,could have been a M-HPF Oympian as well, they left a good few years before the M-FTY ad P-CCU batches, seem to recall they were always quite wet upstairs when it rained Wink

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 15 Mar 2015

(31 Jan 2015, 10:58 pm)RGR756V To let you all know I am once again organising a bus trip to Kirkby Stephen for the excellent rally on Easter Sunday (5 April).

The haulage will be H728DDL, a superb all-Leyland Olympian operated by Stagecarriage.

Fare is £10 per person, no need to book just turn up.

Departure points and times are; Middlesbrough, BBC 0850, Stagecoach Transit depot 0900, Stockton Stagecoach Office 0910, Darlington Rail Station, Park Lane 0930, Shildon Byerley Road 0950, Bishop Auckland Market Place 1000.

Connections will be made at Darlington with the 0855 train from Newcastle.

Returning from Kirkby at 1630. Send me a PM if you need any more info.

Thought I'd give this a bump, incase anybody has a free weekend! Can't think what else is on... Wink

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 15 Mar 2015

(15 Mar 2015, 7:55 pm)aureolin Thought I'd give this a bump, incase anybody has a free weekend! Can't think what else is on... Wink
Really enjoyed Kirkby last year, but sadly I'm in Paris over the Easter weekend this year.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 15 Mar 2015

(15 Mar 2015, 7:55 pm)aureolin Thought I'd give this a bump, incase anybody has a free weekend! Can't think what else is on... Wink

I'm thinking of going but I've just discovered the train I was planning on getting the time has changed, it was originally supposed to arrive at Darlington Rail Station at 0913 but has changed so it now arrives at 0838 - ugh! can't say I fancy waiting 50 minutes in Darlington Rail Station for the bus.

(15 Mar 2015, 8:06 pm)Jimmi I'm thinking of going but I've just discovered the train I was planning on getting the time has changed, it was originally supposed to arrive at Darlington Rail Station at 0913 but has changed so it now arrives at 0838 - ugh! can't say I fancy waiting 50 minutes in Darlington Rail Station for the bus.

You'll enjoy it when you get there no doubt! Gotta be worth 50 mins, instead of a boring Sunday instead? Smile

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 15 Mar 2015

(15 Mar 2015, 8:06 pm)Jimmi I'm thinking of going but I've just discovered the train I was planning on getting the time has changed, it was originally supposed to arrive at Darlington Rail Station at 0913 but has changed so it now arrives at 0838 - ugh! can't say I fancy waiting 50 minutes in Darlington Rail Station for the bus.

Could take photos of the trains? Might spark a bit of an interest in them. Angel

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 15 Mar 2015

(15 Mar 2015, 8:14 pm)aureolin You'll enjoy it when you get there no doubt! Gotta be worth 50 mins, instead of a boring Sunday instead? Smile

(15 Mar 2015, 8:15 pm)MarcTheA4 Could take photos of the trains? Might spark a bit of an interest in them. Angel

Just wish there was a bit more to do in Darlington Railway Station, looking on the map there is two coffee shops (one of them is Costa) and a WhSmiths.

Might actually take train photos just to kill some time, nothing else to do apart from drink coffee, go the toilet or pay an extortionate amount of money for some scran in WhSmiths.

On the upside to having an early train it will allow me to do Dalesbus and possibly Moorsbus from Darlington this year.

(15 Mar 2015, 8:22 pm)Jimmi Just wish there was a bit more to do in Darlington Railway Station, looking on the map there is two coffee shops (one of them is Costa) and a WhSmiths.

Might actually take train photos just to kill some time, nothing else to do apart from drink coffee, go the toilet or pay an extortionate amount of money for some scran in WhSmiths.

On the upside to having an early train it will allow me to do Dalesbus and possibly Moorsbus from Darlington this year.

All being well, I'll be heading down too. If so, I'll be on the 0755 East Coast or 0800 TP to Darlington. Will probably see what's about the station to kill some time, and failing that, there's always room for a Coffee and Bacon butty! 

Out of interest, what were the loadings like for the Kirkby Stephen trip last year? Every seat taken or about half full?

Just, even though I imagine it's a great event, I can't be doing with a bus that feels like a 56 on Old Durham Road at 11:00 on a Saturday morning! Wink

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 15 Mar 2015

(15 Mar 2015, 8:57 pm)MarcTheA4 Out of interest, what were the loadings like for the Kirkby Stephen trip last year? Every seat taken or about half full?

Just, even though I imagine it's a great event, I can't be doing with a bus that feels like a 56 on Old Durham Road at 11:00 on a Saturday morning! Wink
Upper deck was more or less full - lower deck empty.

I stayed on the lower deck for the return journey as I didn't feel 100% iirc.

(15 Mar 2015, 8:57 pm)MarcTheA4 Out of interest, what were the loadings like for the Kirkby Stephen trip last year? Every seat taken or about half full?

You thinking about a trip out like Marcus?

(15 Mar 2015, 8:59 pm)Dan Upper deck was more or less full - lower deck empty.

I stayed on the lower deck for the return journey as I didn't feel 100% iirc.

Thanks Dan. I understand most enthusiasts would be on the upper deck (or saloon! Wink) - might look into going with my dad. He used to go to the MetroCentre Rallies back in the late 90s...boredom - and 3 hours away from my mam! Big Grin Big Grin

(15 Mar 2015, 9:03 pm)aureolin You thinking about a trip out like Marcus?

Maybe. Would make an interesting review...add a bit more variety to what I've done so far! Wink

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 15 Mar 2015

Well ill be going to the MetroCentre Rally and that will be it for me this year in the North East anyway as the other Rallies are awful, Really want to go to either Showbus, Lothian Open Doors or SVBM instead, we should put some life back into the "NEB Day Trips Thread" and plan a trip to one of the above I think.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Kuyoyo - 15 Mar 2015

Have to remember, last year used the Condor. This year, it's an Olympian.

And sadly, I'm likely to be working on Easter Sunday - it's the last of our 4 Preview Days at the Pub before our official opening on the Tuesday and we'll be having 300 invited guests, from the sounds of it the Sunday is the Staff's friends and family preview - which does mean a number of my friends miss out on a free carvery to visit Kirkby Stephen Wink

(15 Mar 2015, 9:20 pm)Malarkey Well ill be going to the MetroCentre Rally and that will be it for me this year in the North East anyway as the other Rallies are awful, Really want to go to either Showbus, Lothian Open Doors or SVBM instead, we should put some life back into the "NEB Day Trips Thread" and plan a trip to one of the above I think.

I'll be going to the Lothian open doors day, as I quite enjoyed it last year. I'll most likely do SVBM too. Not entirely sure about Showbus yet, as I may just do a London there and back by Rail in the same day, and spend some proper time photographing. I don't think the NEB Day Trips would ever take off, as you're always having to rely on others. Best one or two just say they're heading to somewhere, and leaving it as an open invitation for others?

I'm with you on the North East, Adam. I'll do the 500 Group Running Day, MetroCentre, and maybe Durham, but I think that'll be it for me. 

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 15 Mar 2015

(15 Mar 2015, 9:29 pm)aureolin I'll be going to the Lothian open doors day, as I quite enjoyed it last year. I'll most likely do SVBM too. Not entirely sure about Showbus yet, as I may just do a London there and back by Rail in the same day, and spend some proper time photographing. I don't think the NEB Day Trips would ever take off, as you're always having to rely on others. Best one or two just say they're heading to somewhere, and leaving it as an open invitation for others?

I'm with you on the North East, Adam. I'll do the 500 Group Running Day, MetroCentre, and maybe Durham, but I think that'll be it for me. 
I think there is bit more scope for an NEBDT, As compared to last year there are quite few more Members who have started taking Photos i.e. Jimmi and Marcus, so they might be interested, obviously me, you and dan are the most likely to end going to one of above events, I would certainly look at again nearer the time of each event though.

Personally I wouldnt even bother going to Durham at all, there was only like 7 Vehicles there Last Year and very few Enthusiasts actually attended.

(15 Mar 2015, 9:43 pm)Malarkey I think there is bit more scope for an NEBDT, As compared to last year there are quite few more Members who have started taking Photos i.e. Jimmi and Marcus, so they might be interested, obviously me, you and dan are the most likely to end going to one of above events, I would certainly look at again nearer the time of each event though.

Personally I wouldnt even bother going to Durham at all, there was only like 7 Vehicles there Last Year and very few Enthusiasts actually attended.

I'm only doing Durham as it's on my doorstep, and I already have an annual ticket to get me there. Smile