North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - LeeCalder - 20 Mar 2015

Well if it's going up the Cumbrian Coast to Carlisle its not going to come along here

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - northern156 - 20 Mar 2015

Nope, it comes from Birmingham International early in the morning going to Preston and Lancaster before going to Barrow, up the Coast to Carlisle and then back down along the WCML (through Oxenholme) back to Birmingham.

Might have a little bus trip in Carlisle if I get bored afterwards. Big Grin

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Davie - 20 Mar 2015

(20 Mar 2015, 10:45 pm)northern156 Nope, it comes from Birmingham International early in the morning going to Preston and Lancaster before going to Barrow, up the Coast to Carlisle and then back down along the WCML (through Oxenholme) back to Birmingham.

Might have a little bus trip in Carlisle if I get bored afterwards. Big Grin

Cheers Sean  Tongue

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 21 Mar 2015

(20 Mar 2015, 9:17 pm)Tom I might do that!
Where are the nice places?

The section between Craghead and Edmondsley is canny. You have the option of doing Waldridge Fell too.

Very quiet around there, but some lovely scenery.

Lanchester could be good too.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 21 Mar 2015

Had a great day out, but I'm absolutely exhausted now. I'll have the review up later, maybe tomorrow morning at the latest. Smile

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - omnicity4659 - 21 Mar 2015

(21 Mar 2015, 5:09 pm)MarcTheA4 Had a great day out, but I'm absolutely exhausted now. I'll have the review up later, maybe tomorrow morning at the latest. Smile

Exhausted? What on earth have you been doing?!  Big Grin Tongue

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - northern156 - 21 Mar 2015

I too have had a brilliant day out! Good choice going for this freebie ride!

Today was a great day out with a Get Around (£3.75), please read on to find out more.

Chester-le-Street Diversions Shuttle - Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace to Chester Moor - (10:25 --- 10:31) - Gateshead Central Taxis SF14 HAE - Fiat Bluebird/Orion Plus
Left the house just after 10:00, and made my way up to the Clifford Terrace bus stop. I had viewed the timetables whilst I was drying my hair earlier after waking up, and knew it would be hitting my stop around 10:25, so left myself plenty of time to ensure I didn't miss it. Got to the stop for 10:15, and after sorting out a few things on my camera, I spotted a Nexus-liveried minibus-like thing coming along. Flagged it down, and boarded. Driver gave me a wincing-smile (sort that you get the impression they would rather be elsewhere, but getting on regardless, shall I say!) and I took my seat. Having never been on a Bluebird before, I was intrigued. Noticed the seatbelts, and nobody else on. 
As we approached Chester Moor, I expected the driver to stop anyway. However, I noticed he just drove past, and turned at the roundabout to head back to Chester-le-Street. I was a bit confused, and he asked me where I was travelling to. I just said I was expecting him to stop there, and he kindly pointed out there were bells at the side. D'oh! Had literally no idea, but I suppose it's all part of the learning curve, eh? He, rather generously, offered to drive me back up because he had plenty of time, and I alighted after giving him a bit of loose change for his trouble.

#21 - Chester Moor to Durham Bus Station - (10:39 --- 10:53) - Go North East 3877 - Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne
Having been informed that 3877 would be operating the 10:30 #21 to Durham service from Chester-le-Street, I decided I'd make this run. Having watched the Bluebird head back to Chester-le-Street (and with a pleasant wave from the driver), I waited for the 21, which was due to be at Chester Moor for 10:36. Didn't show at first, and I watched a 50-branded Omnicity head up the A167 towards Durham with an engineer at the wheel. Eventually, a Lolyne appeared and I flagged it down. Was 3877, as I had been informed. 
Great journey at the front of the upper deck, always liked Lolynes. Don't know what it is that other enthusiasts don't like about them, but it just seems they get stereotyped as being under-powered and useless. After having them on scholars for a long time, I guess I've just grown to love them a bit. I don't even mind the damp smell, sometimes I think it's even an appealing characteristic. 3877 provided a great journey into Durham, with a careful driver at the wheel, and a rather average load. Only 3 others upstairs with me. 

#20A - Durham Bus Station to Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange - (11:11 --- 12:08) - Go North East 4990 - Scania L94UB/Wright Solar
After getting off the 21, I immediately made my way towards Millburngate. As I got there, I decided against it as I was in need of something to eat, so made my way to Gregg's instead. This proved to be a bad move, as when I was walking back up - I saw 3830 head out of the bus station on a 15. Annoyed is not the word! Instead of hanging about, I just made for the 20 stand. A Sapphire 7 (1523 I think!) was already pulling in, and 4990 (presumably behind) had to drop off at the side of the bus station alongside, before heading to do a loop of the bus station.
Got on after 4990 returned, and made for my regular seats on a single deck vehicle. Great journey up until around Durham Retail Park, when I couldn't wish for Houghton-le-Spring to come any faster! Became very boring, even though I was listening to some of my favourite songs through my earphones. When we got to Houghton-le-Spring, I decided to just make the best of a bad situation by just staying on and getting off at Park Lane. Wasn't so bad after the area around East Herrington, and at least now I can say I have done the whole Durham-Sunderland 20A route!

#56 - Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange to Sunderland, Wheatsheaf - (12:12 --- 12:18) - Go North East 6092 - Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
After getting off 4990, I saw a 56 come out of the layover bay with Newcastle on the destination. Brilliant! - the 56 goes past Stagecoach's Wheatsheaf depot and that was one of my objectives for today, to take photos there. Decided to go for it, and boarded 6092, which when it departed, had only half a dozen people on, me being the only person downstairs. Picked up a couple of OAPs on Fawcett Street, both asking the driver if he went to Wheatsheaf. Disembarked at the same stop as them, Wheatsheaf, and made my way across the road to take photos around the perimeter of the depot.
For some reason I always get a bit ''giddy'' when I get near a bus depot. Don't know if it's just the sounds of machinery and all of the stationary buses to take photos of, but this was an exception as it's the first Stagecoach depot I've been within arms reach of a bus from. Saw an ALX300 and a couple of E200s parked up at the front of the garage, and took photos there, before heading down to the bottom, where I knew most of the spares were stored. Mouth started watering as I saw two Olympians first, then the B10M driver trainer. Took photos from every angle I could through the gap between the brick wall and the blue fence, before heading back up to the bus stop.

#56 - Sunderland, Wheatsheaf to Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange - (12:33 --- 12:40) - Go North East 6090 - Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
Got back to the bus stop with plenty of time before the next bus back to Park Lane. A 56 appeared, but was stuck at some traffic lights for a few minutes. A pair of Stagecoach gas buses on the 16 and 13 were behind it in the queue, and I boarded my 56 at 12:33. We left immediately, and I took my seat at the back of the lower deck. Good bus for such a short journey, with a rather friendly driver at the wheel.
After disembarking, I was satisfied with my photos from the Wheatsheaf depot, and looked for a few spots around Park Lane to take photos. I had a look around the coach waiting area, but decided it just wasn't worth it. I knew the 8 was due in a few minutes, and this turned out to be a great decision to stick around for...

#8 - Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange to Chester-le-Street, South Burns [Market Place] - (12:54 --- 13:44) - Go North East 4853 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
Saw a Lime B10BLE enter Park Lane, and this made me even happier! Noted the fleet number as 4853, which I had last week. Wouldn't have minded another out of the 4853-5 batch, but I was grateful to be on a Lime anyway! Great journey back to Chester-le-Street, and the kickdown I could feel on a few parts of the motorway/highway (whatever it's called) that we sped down throughout the journey was like nothing you could imagine! 4853 is a great vehicle, even if at first I did think it was a bit of a dodgy bus. 
Had a brief walk about in Chester-le-Street, and observed one or two good spots for photos. Didn't bother just then, as when I was walking back towards the Stanley/Consett-bound 8/78 stand, I saw a 78 for Consett head across North Burns, and noticed it was 4843. Having never been on it before, and likely it could be my last chance, I decided to go for it.

#78 - Chester-le-Street, South Burns [Market Place] to Pelton Bridge - (13:55 --- 14:03) - Go North East 4843 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 
Made my way towards it, and there was a driver changeover taking place. After standing around for a minute or two, people began boarding. I hit my regular seats on a single decker and enjoyed the revving of the engine as we were stationary. As we pulled out of South Burns, I sat there thinking that while this could be my first and last ride on this vehicle, I may as well have something to remember it by by recording the engine sound. I now have a 2-minute recording of her engine on my iPhone, the only other I have of which is 3822 on the 45. 
Hopped off at Pelton Bridge, something I have done hundreds of times before, as it was my late grandad's local stop. I made my way up to Pelton Church to pay a brief visit to his grave. From this point, I really don't know what I did. I just stood in front of his grave for about 10 minutes, lost in thought... Anyway, I made my way back to the bus stop, intending to have a brief ride up to Stanley.

#8 - Pelton Bridge to Stanley Bus Station - (14:22 --- 14:42) - Go North East 4901 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
I walked down to the bus stop, and didn't even need to look at the times, I still remember the times for all the buses from this stop and the one opposite. 4901 came over the top of the bank, and made it's way down. I signalled to stop, and I got on to an expressionless and motionless driver. In terms of ride-quality, I think 4901 was great. Engine was nice and smooth, but it didn't have as much character as 4843's did. The interior was very clean, very few bus tickets on the floor, not much dirt, etc.
Didn't go for my usual spot, and choose to sit behind the driver's cab. As we got to Stanley, I saw 3 Olympians parked up in the bus station; 3823, 3825 and 3832. Good photo opportunity, but sadly, it was chav-heaven in the bus station, so I decided not to bother. Chose to get the 15:00 #78 back down, and made my way towards Gregg's. After picking up a Chicken Bake, I ate it on the way back to the bus station, and saw a convoy head in, a mix of a Venture Solo SR, two B10BLEs, two Lolynes and a Diamond Citaro. Bus station suddenly became really crowded, and I boarded the Beamish Renown that was to perform my 78 back.

#78 - Stanley Bus Station to Chester-le-Street, North Burns [Market Place] - (14:58 --- 15:30) - Go North East 4847 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
I decided not to go for my regular seats yet again, and went for the rear-facing double-seats (people will hopefully know what I mean by that!). Made it through the areas surrounding Stanley without receiving a brick through a window, and the bus began to quieten down towards Chester-le-Street. Smooth ride, I imagine I'll have 4847 again next week when I do the 128. 
Headed across to Cone Terrace for a few photos of the Newcastle-bound Angels, before the Gateshead Central Taxis Bluebird returned, with the same driver at the wheel.

Chester-le-Street Diversions Shuttle - Chester-le-Street Cone Terrace to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace - (15:55 --- 16:07) - Gateshead Central Taxis SF14 HAE - Fiat Bluebird/Orion Plus
After the Bluebird returned, I waited for a couple of minutes to see if I could get a good angle on a photo, to no avail. There was a Lolyne directly in front of him, which prevented any decent photo. Nonetheless, I hopped on and the driver said hello again. I sat at the very front, and we got talking. He said he hadn't had any more than 10 people on throughout the whole of the day, I assumed this was a joke, but in hindsight, when I had seen it earlier, nobody had been present on it. As we sat stationary (moving every time we got a beep from the 21 behind to move up a bit) I introduced myself, and he told me his name, etc. 
When I mentioned a point raised elsewhere on the forum, regarding Optare Solos being used as an alternative, he said he fully agreed that they would be better suited than a Bluebird. Engine was too loud for me to hear him explain why, but I think he said something like the Bluebirds were always suffering mechanically or something. I don't know, but my first impressions of these are that they are alright for short hops. Wouldn't be riding one all the way to Newcastle! Wink

Hope you all enjoyed reading (took me an hour to write!). I'd like to dedicate this review to citaro5284...make his day! Big Grin
Marcus

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Davie - 21 Mar 2015

Nice review Marcus

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 21 Mar 2015

Not been on a Bluebird so I think I will have to sample one at some point.

Although all these taxi type low floor mini bus type things are usually terrible, I remember riding Central Coaches Renault Master Rohill Harrier or whatever the hell it was called round Newton Aycliffe on the 116 and I remember being violently flung in the air going down a slightly bumpy road, it's what I imagine it would be like bouncing on a bouncy castle on tow, it was awful - the people of School Aycliffe almost lost most of their bus services and we're not really thankful for having to ride that donkey round the town.

(21 Mar 2015, 9:38 pm)Jimmi Not been on a Bluebird so I think I will have to sample one at some point.

Although all these taxi type low floor mini bus type things are usually terrible, I remember riding Central Coaches Renault Master Rohill Harrier or whatever the hell it was called round Newton Aycliffe on the 116 and I remember being violently flung in the air going down a slightly bumpy road, it's what I imagine it would be like bouncing on a bouncy castle on tow, it was awful - the people of School Aycliffe almost lost most of their bus services and we're not really thankful for having to ride that donkey round the town.

If you're free during the week Jimmi, get a 21 to Chester Moor (you know where that is, don't you?) then just wait for the shuttle to see for yourself. Obviously opinions differ, but I would give the Bluebird I rode today maybe 5/10, 6/10 if lucky. Obviously a different Bluebird may appear over the course of the week. Wink

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 21 Mar 2015

(21 Mar 2015, 9:42 pm)MarcTheA4 If you're free during the week Jimmi, get a 21 to Chester Moor (you know where that is, don't you?) then just wait for the shuttle to see for yourself. Obviously opinions differ, but I would give the Bluebird I rode today maybe 5/10, 6/10 if lucky. Obviously a different Bluebird may appear over the course of the week. Wink
Think I know where that is, will have a look at the timetable tomorrow and possibly try and fit a quick trip to Chester, planning on heading to Newcastle on Friday so may do then.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 21 Mar 2015

(21 Mar 2015, 9:15 pm)MarcTheA4 3822 on the 45. 
Right squeeler is that thing...

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 21 Mar 2015

(21 Mar 2015, 10:53 pm)citaro5284 Sooner these Olympians go the better..... Big Grin

Sadist. Tongue

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 21 Mar 2015

(21 Mar 2015, 10:53 pm)citaro5284 Sooner these Olympians go the better..... Big Grin

How dare you! Tongue If the mechanics at Stanley can do what they did to 3823 a while back to 3814, i'd marry it but if nothing happens, thats the only one i want to go. I want 3813 to go too. It betrayed me  Sad

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 22 Mar 2015

Get some white LED destinations, NSAs, and free Wifi stuck on them, and we can enjoy them for another few years man... Wink

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 22 Mar 2015

Unfortunately I won't be able to do Kirkby Stephen this year due to commitments with it being Easter Sunday. Shame because my dad was looking forward to maybe going as well! However, he says (after showing him some photos of the Stagecarriage fleet in the fleet lists section) the Stagecarriage fleet seems interesting, and recognises a few things from years ago, so would be happy to do any other things like that, just not available for Easter Sunday.

If anyone is able to contact Stu about it, please tell him we'd both be interested for anything in the future! Smile

Another weekend over with then! Is anybody looking as far as next weekend yet? I've actually got two full weekends in a row off, so I'm going to make the most of Saturday, and head out on an Explorer I think.

I'll probably look to start in Durham, getting a few shots there, and getting one of the first 128 run of the season in the process. Then thinking about heading into Stockton & Middlesbrough for the 2x Stagecarriage E200s. Plenty of time to think what else to do though. Smile

(22 Mar 2015, 9:36 pm)citaro5284 I have 52.....

I would have too, but I volunteer. Results in quite a few of my Saturday mornings being taken up for now, but it won't be forever. Smile 

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 22 Mar 2015

(22 Mar 2015, 9:33 pm)aureolin Another weekend over with then! Is anybody looking as far as next weekend yet? I've actually got two full weekends in a row off, so I'm going to make the most of Saturday, and head out on an Explorer I think.

I'll probably look to start in Durham, getting a few shots there, and getting one of the first 128 run of the season in the process. Then thinking about heading into Stockton & Middlesbrough for the 2x Stagecarriage E200s. Plenty of time to think what else to do though. Smile

I'm undecided for next Saturday!

There's an event on at the Tanfield Railway (of which a lot I attend, although seeing as there doesn't really seem to be much interest, I don't bother posting) which I'm planning on kicking the day off on. Great War Weekend I think. Should be a few locos in steam, and a few vintage vehicles there I would imagine.

Then I was originally planning on getting the X30 to Stanley, the 8 to Beamish, allowing plenty of time to walk into the grounds to catch the 128 towards Durham, and then a 21 back to Chester-le-Street (hopping on the shuttle back to my local stop).

Now, seeing as a lot of enthusiasts are planning on the first 128 run of the day, I may get the shuttle to Chester Moor, a single (just the novelty haha) on the 21 through to Durham, then start my day with a Get Around on the 128. Smile

(22 Mar 2015, 9:36 pm)citaro5284 I have 52.....

citaro5284 1 - 0 aureolin

Big Grin