North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - mb134 - 31 Mar 2015

(31 Mar 2015, 8:32 pm)Tom Just depends where your going!
Possibly the 44? 34?
I need to start the day on an X21/22, so I'll be getting a lift to Bedlington. From there, maybe Newcastle to get an X15 to Morpeth, or something to Cramlington. I'll then have a study break. I'll head to family for lunchtime, then I'll have from about 3 to do as I please Smile (well until 4.40)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MurdnunoC - 31 Mar 2015

(31 Mar 2015, 5:23 pm)MarcTheA4 I'm considering a trip into Northumbria; Blyth and Ashington mainly, as they have Arriva depots just a short walk away from the bus stations.

I've decided to go to Blyth first, get Service 1 to Ashington, then an X21/X22 back to Newcastle - but, I'm wondering which route up to Blyth anyone recommends? I understand theres the X4/X5, X10/X11, X13, the list goes on! Any suggestions?

Thanks. Smile

You mean Northumberland. Technically speaking, you're already in Northumbria. 

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 31 Mar 2015

(31 Mar 2015, 9:27 pm)MurdnunoC You mean Northumberland. Technically speaking, you're already in Northumbria. 

Somehow I don't think I'm cut out for GCSE Geography...haha! Tongue

(31 Mar 2015, 9:28 pm)MarcTheA4 Somehow I don't think I'm cut out for GCSE Geography...haha! Tongue

It's actually History. Look up what Northumbria was!

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 31 Mar 2015

(31 Mar 2015, 9:29 pm)MurdnunoC It's actually History. Look up what Northumbria was!

Northern England and South East Scotland... Never knew that.

(31 Mar 2015, 9:30 pm)MarcTheA4 Northern England and South East Scotland... Never knew that.

Yup. Those were the days. When the North East had some clout. Far cry from now where everything is London-centric.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 01 Apr 2015

(31 Mar 2015, 9:29 pm)MurdnunoC It's actually History. Look up what Northumbria was!

I always found that strange. The endings of Northumbria and Cumberland were swapped...logic?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 01 Apr 2015

Why did I decide to include Ferryhill on today's outing, it's a dump.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - mb134 - 01 Apr 2015

Had a pleasant, stressful, wet and tiring outing today, will write up the review later, absolutely shattered! 

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - omnicity4659 - 01 Apr 2015

(01 Apr 2015, 4:00 pm)mb134 Had a pleasant, stressful, wet and tiring outing today, will write up the review later, absolutely shattered! 

I don't normally have them both in the same subject but oh well.  Big Grin

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 01 Apr 2015

Noticed Saturday's review received 7 likes, in comparison to the one before which had about 12. I assume quite a few people didn't see it because of the load of comments that ensued after, here's a link to page 259: http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=307&page=259

Unless, of course, the fact other members are beginning to do the same, it's not so much a novelty anymore!  Big Grin

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - omnicity4659 - 01 Apr 2015

(01 Apr 2015, 6:05 pm)MarcTheA4 Noticed Saturday's review received 7 likes, in comparison to the one before which had about 12. I assume quite a few people didn't see it because of the load of comments that ensued after, here's a link to page 259: http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=307&page=259

Unless, of course, the fact other members are beginning to do the same, it's not so much a novelty anymore!  Big Grin

This is an appeal.

Please like Marcus Green's reviews or they will disappear.

Here is a link to how you can help.

Thank you.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 01 Apr 2015

(01 Apr 2015, 6:19 pm)Tommy_1581 This is an appeal.

Please like Marcus Green's reviews or they will disappear.

Here is a link to how you can help.

Thank you.

Nah Tongue 

Okay, todays review Smile

8.58 (9.03) X21 Bedlington to Regent Centre Metro ANE 7525
Again, I had to start my day on either an X21 or X22, so I just caught the first one that came, after passing 7509 on the prior X22 as I was entering Bedlington in the car. 7525 was 5 minutes late when I boarded, and stayed like that until I got off, with 7507 on our tail as we pulled into Regent Centre on an X22. It was nothing special, quite quiet, at least downstairs, probably about half full, however the fact it didn't make up that much time stood out, especially when you've got an A1 stretch. Plugs, WiFi and NSA's were all working though Big Grin

9.43 (9.47) X15 Regent Centre Metro to Morpeth ANE 4653
As I got off 7525, 7518 drove past on an X14, which was a kind of blessing, as much as I want to have a ride on it after it's refurb (and had I been at the stop when it passed, I would've jumped on it), it isn't as good as what I was hoping would follow on the X15. 

I stood at the stand, after figuring out which one they stop at, and waited in hope of an Omnicity coming around the corner, checking frequently on my phone to see where it was, noticing it was 4 minutes late. I was hoping that, for once, Ashington's allocations were consistent (an Omnicity had worked this run the past two days, unless it was subbed on later on), and they were!! Big Grin I boarded with three other people, I went to the back and relaxed, we were 7 minutes late by the time we got onto the A1. We were limited to 50 for much of the A1 stretch, but it still managed to get on time by Morpeth, by which point I was daydreaming only to be brought back by the bell, forgot how loud that thing is!! I got off at the stop near the Library (Damside I think the stop is called) at 10.07 and went to the Library for an hour and a bit's study.

11.33 (11.34) 35 Morpeth to North Seaton ANE 7491
I decided to head out of the Library early so I could get my lunch, as I was hungry, so I started to walk towards the stop opposite Morrisons only to notice a B7 Gemini in the bus station, hoping it was for the 35 I stood at the bus stop (even though it should have already gone by) and waited. Sure enough, not a minute later, 7491 came around the corner. I boarded and headed upstairs, it still smells nice from I presume it's refurbishment (can't think of anything else), and I relaxed into it's fabric covered Civic V2's, which was a nice break from leather. It performed well from what I could tell, although we did arrive in Ashington 1 minute late, the timetable seems awfully tight. I got off at North Seaton for my first family visit, and lunch Big Grin

14.40 X21 Ashington Bus Station to Seaton Burn Fisher Lane ANE 7524
I got a lift to ASDA after my second visit, as I needed to get some prawn crackers to go with the duck I'm having for tea. I decided against buying them there, 40p more than Tesco (I know, a bit petty but I was passing a Tesco later on, or so I thought...). I went across the road towards the bus station, 7523 had just arrived on an X22, but I realised thatb this wouldn't leave until 14.50, so I opted for 7524, which arrived moments later on an X21. I hopped on, and headed for the front two seats on the right upstairs, plugged my phone in and sat back. My original plan had been to get off at Bedlington and finish the day there, however I decided to stay on to see how it compared to 7525 earlier in the day along the Nedderton section. Again, like on Monday, I was impressed by it's performance. We were 5 minutes late because of some badly timed traffic lights etc, by Stakeford, however we were back on time by just after Bedlington main street, unlike 7525 it seemed able to make up time, and it's handling and speed on the road along from Nedderton to Hartford was quite refreshing. I got off at Seaton Burn, expecting to be whisked away to Cramlington imminently, this was not to be the case...

15.22 (15.35) X13 Seaton Burn Fisher Lane to Blyth Bus Station ANE 7607
I'd checked the live app prior to getting off 7524, and it said it was 2 minutes late, however by the time I crossed the road this had increased to 8, two X21's and an X22 flew past before 7607 trundled off the roundabout, I boarded (a mistake in hindsight), and was completely underwhelmed, we were 16 minutes late by Cramlington, too late for me to make it to the Library to return some materials and get the X13 back to Seaton Burn. I stayed on, another mistake, it got later and later, I checked the Live Map and was met with a grim proposal, it would arrive at 16.17, the 2 I needed to get to Bedlington left at 16.18, cutting it fine. I bailed on a road in Blyth and ran for it, straight up across two roundabouts and got to the bus stop with a minute or two to spare. 7607 must be one of the worst vehicles I've been on in a long time, constantly sounded like it was going to give up...

16.19 (16.21) 2 Blyth to Bedlington ANE 1765
Just to give some sense of how much I hated my ride on 7607, this ride on 1765 was luxury. Didn't seem like it was going to break down every time it accelerated, was just a much smoother ride, although I did feel a bit sick because of the run. The only fault with the bus was that one door took a while to close, and as I was sitting on the seat behind the driver, I got a bit of cold air in my face every time we pulled away from a stop. Much nicer than 7606 though!! My ride home was waiting in a Bedlington car ark to take me home (via Tesco) Smile

Wish I'd stopped the day at 7524 to be honest, end on a high, or alternatively, had gone all the way through to Newcastle, and got something to Morpeth, and got picked up there. It was a pretty good day out though, and was more varied than Monday Smile 

Thanks for reading Smile

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Davie - 01 Apr 2015

(01 Apr 2015, 6:46 pm)mb134 Okay, todays review Smile

8.58 (9.03) X21 Bedlington to Regent Centre Metro ANE 7525
Again, I had to start my day on either an X21 or X22, so I just caught the first one that came, after passing 7509 on the prior X22 as I was entering Bedlington in the car. 7525 was 5 minutes late when I boarded, and stayed like that until I got off, with 7507 on our tail as we pulled into Regent Centre on an X22. It was nothing special, quite quiet, at least downstairs, probably about half full, however the fact it didn't make up that much time stood out, especially when you've got an A1 stretch. Plugs, WiFi and NSA's were all working though Big Grin

9.43 (9.47) X15 Regent Centre Metro to Morpeth ANE 4653
As I got off 7525, 7518 drove past on an X14, which was a kind of blessing, as much as I want to have a ride on it after it's refurb (and had I been at the stop when it passed, I would've jumped on it), it isn't as good as what I was hoping would follow on the X15. 

I stood at the stand, after figuring out which one they stop at, and waited in hope of an Omnicity coming around the corner, checking frequently on my phone to see where it was, noticing it was 4 minutes late. I was hoping that, for once, Ashington's allocations were consistent (an Omnicity had worked this run the past two days, unless it was subbed on later on), and they were!! Big Grin I boarded with three other people, I went to the back and relaxed, we were 7 minutes late by the time we got onto the A1. We were limited to 50 for much of the A1 stretch, but it still managed to get on time by Morpeth, by which point I was daydreaming only to be brought back by the bell, forgot how loud that thing is!! I got off at the stop near the Library (Damside I think the stop is called) at 10.07 and went to the Library for an hour and a bit's study.

11.33 (11.34) 35 Morpeth to North Seaton ANE 7491
I decided to head out of the Library early so I could get my lunch, as I was hungry, so I started to walk towards the stop opposite Morrisons only to notice a B7 Gemini in the bus station, hoping it was for the 35 I stood at the bus stop (even though it should have already gone by) and waited. Sure enough, not a minute later, 7491 came around the corner. I boarded and headed upstairs, it still smells nice from I presume it's refurbishment (can't think of anything else), and I relaxed into it's fabric covered Civic V2's, which was a nice break from leather. It performed well from what I could tell, although we did arrive in Ashington 1 minute late, the timetable seems awfully tight. I got off at North Seaton for my first family visit, and lunch Big Grin

14.40 X21 Ashington Bus Station to Seaton Burn Fisher Lane ANE 7524
I got a lift to ASDA after my second visit, as I needed to get some prawn crackers to go with the duck I'm having for tea. I decided against buying them there, 40p more than Tesco (I know, a bit petty but I was passing a Tesco later on, or so I thought...). I went across the road towards the bus station, 7523 had just arrived on an X22, but I realised thatb this wouldn't leave until 14.50, so I opted for 7524, which arrived moments later on an X21. I hopped on, and headed for the front two seats on the right upstairs, plugged my phone in and sat back. My original plan had been to get off at Bedlington and finish the day there, however I decided to stay on to see how it compared to 7525 earlier in the day along the Nedderton section. Again, like on Monday, I was impressed by it's performance. We were 5 minutes late because of some badly timed traffic lights etc, by Stakeford, however we were back on time by just after Bedlington main street, unlike 7525 it seemed able to make up time, and it's handling and speed on the road along from Nedderton to Hartford was quite refreshing. I got off at Seaton Burn, expecting to be whisked away to Cramlington imminently, this was not to be the case...

15.22 (15.35) X13 Seaton Burn Fisher Lane to Blyth Bus Station ANE 7607
I'd checked the live app prior to getting off 7524, and it said it was 2 minutes late, however by the time I crossed the road this had increased to 8, two X21's and an X22 flew past before 7607 trundled off the roundabout, I boarded (a mistake in hindsight), and was completely underwhelmed, we were 16 minutes late by Cramlington, too late for me to make it to the Library to return some materials and get the X13 back to Seaton Burn. I stayed on, another mistake, it got later and later, I checked the Live Map and was met with a grim proposal, it would arrive at 16.17, the 2 I needed to get to Bedlington left at 16.18, cutting it fine. I bailed on a road in Blyth and ran for it, straight up across two roundabouts and got to the bus stop with a minute or two to spare. 7607 must be one of the worst vehicles I've been on in a long time, constantly sounded like it was going to give up...

16.19 (16.21) 2 Blyth to Bedlington ANE 1765
Just to give some sense of how much I hated my ride on 7607, this ride on 1765 was luxury. Didn't seem like it was going to break down every time it accelerated, was just a much smoother ride, although I did feel a bit sick because of the run. The only fault with the bus was that one door took a while to close, and as I was sitting on the seat behind the driver, I got a bit of cold air in my face every time we pulled away from a stop. Much nicer than 7606 though!! My ride home was waiting in a Bedlington car ark to take me home (via Tesco) Smile

Wish I'd stopped the day at 7524 to be honest, end on a high, or alternatively, had gone all the way through to Newcastle, and got something to Morpeth, and got picked up there. It was a pretty good day out though, and was more varied than Monday Smile 7

Thanks for reading Smile
Great review  Big Grin

(01 Apr 2015, 6:57 pm)Davie Great review  Big Grin

Cheers, I hope it's more interesting than Monday's, more variety I think Smile 

Always seem to get 7524 like, bit lucky I suppose Big Grin

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 01 Apr 2015

Nice review there, mb134. Smile

I've yet to try an Arriva ''MAX'' OmniCity - I might try a short ride from Newcastle to Regent Centre if I see one in Haymarket at some point next week (or Saturday) on an X15, etc.

As much as I think some of Go North East's lack character, I wouldn't mind trying an Arriva example to compare.

(01 Apr 2015, 7:20 pm)MarcTheA4 Nice review there, mb134. Smile

I've yet to try an Arriva ''MAX'' OmniCity - I might try a short ride from Newcastle to Regent Centre if I see one in Haymarket at some point next week (or Saturday) on an X15, etc.

As much as I think some of Go North East's lack character, I wouldn't mind trying an Arriva example to compare.

Cheers, as I said to Davie, I tried to make it more varied when I could, I think it would have been better for me if 7607 hadn't been so dreadful Wink 

I loved my trip on it, although there was a bit of a strange smell, don't really want to go into details of where I think it was from (not mechanical put it that way), that put a bit of a downer on it Undecided

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - LeeCalder - 01 Apr 2015

I'm going to Carlisle tomorrow with Davie

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 01 Apr 2015

Right, here eventually is my review for my day out today:

1132 7 Newton Aycliffe - Ferryhill Market Place (ANE 1523).
My outing started like it usually does on the 7, in usual fashion it was quite comfy and was a fairly relaxing journey and I switched off and settled down listening to music and connected to the WiFi to pass the time.

After jumping off the 7 I made straight for Taylor's to get myself a Corned Beef Pasty but they didn't have any so I was going to go to Gregg's but I could not work out who was and wasn't in the queue so I went to B&M for a bottle of Pepsi and I got stuck once I was inside and then after I paid I got blocked in at the checkout by the person before me prating about with her bag. Tried Gregg's again but people were still all over the place so just went straight to the bus stop for my next bus.

1215 33 Ferryhill Market Place - Sedgefield, Black Lion (Scarlet Band X315 CBT).
For something a little different I opted for this as I think the 33 is a canny little route and you never really know which bus is going to turn up (although it's usually a Solo) X315CBT turned up today, considering this was a X reg example it was pretty decent, few rattles and a slightly loud engine which meant I couldn't hear my music at times although this didn't bother me. Quite enjoyed this journey and even wore the seatbelts provided.

Was hoping to get some photos in Sedgefield but the weather was awful, it was freezing and it was tipping it down so I took shelter whilst waiting for my next bus.

1257 21 Sedgefield - Peterlee Bus Station (ANE 4813)
Quite pleased to see this one turn up as I've been trying to ride this example since it entered service. I decided to sit where the backwards seats are to increase the leg room and as ever found the seats very comfortable (stuff Sapphire!) and was very warm which was nice as it was horrendously cold in Sedgefield. Downsides was I could hear air coming through from somewhere, also this example doesn't appear to have WiFi.

1405 X35 Peterlee Bus Station - Houghton-le-Spring (GNE 4974)
First time I've done the X35 although I did the 202 once before which follows a pretty similar route. Didn't enjoy this journey though as I thought the bus was filthy and the panel at the front seemed lose so you could hear that rattling for most of the journey.

1448 4 Houghton-le-Spring - Washington Galleries (GNE 5361)
This was late (found out why later in the journey) but was a bit unhappy about it. Thankfully for once I managed to get a seat where there is room for both of my legs which made me happy. Was a bit unhappy when we got to the next stop and saw a load of school kids wanting to be on although these school kids were well behaved unlike some are when I've been on services at this time before. I enjoyed the journey, the seats were comfortable, the next stop announcements didn't draw to much attention to themselves and sounded quite professionally done (just a shame they are a bit dated now Real Radio is Heart and Gary and Lisa are no longer on there). Thought this was quite a nice route and it gave me some ideas for photos. Seemed the delays were due to temporary lights.

1527 8 Washington Galleries - Chester-le-Street (GNE 4901)
The 4 arriving late made me thought I had missed this but thankfully it was a few minutes late too. Not done this route before either so was nice to do (even if I was repeating part of the 4 route I've just done). Even for it's age this was quite a nice bus and sounded great and provided me with a great journey, the only downside was the seat I selected was a little uncomfortable and there wasn't a great deal of leg room.

Had a quick walk around Chester-le-Street when I got off for a few photos and because I thought there wasn't another bus to Durham for another 10 minutes so this was a way of killing some time. Couldn't remember exactly where the Durham buses were stopping (knew roughly it was a case of one stop or the other). The 50 turned up but I knew a 21 was due so decided to wait for that instead as I thought it would get me into Durham faster, then a saw a Lolyne coming up the road.

1559 X22 Chester-le-Street - Durham Bus Station (GNE 3878)
Another bus I thought I'd missed but turned out to be a bit late was 3878 so I jumped on this to head to Durham, I decided to sit at the back downstairs as there was no-one sat downstairs when I got on. Got to say not a very pleasant bus as it hasn't not been treated to a referb at any point so the seats were pretty worn down and smelt awful. Although whenever I get on a un-refurbished Lolyne it sort of takes me back to when Go North East used to joint operate service 723 Darlington - Newcastle with Arriva. One advantage to this journey is instead of dropping off us off on North Road the driver dropped us off on the 20/20A stand which made me happy as it was raining and the 7 was already on the stand next to it.

1627 7 Durham Bus Station - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 1520)
And I end the day once again on the Sapphire service 7 so I got connected to the WiFi and settled down for the ride home. Annoyingly on this journey we kept getting stuck behind slow moving things including a learner driver on the back road heading into Woodham.

Thanks for reading my review, make sure to view the photos from todays outing.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@N02/archives/date-taken/2015/04/01/