North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 07 Apr 2015

For anyone who might be interested, Transdev Keighley are having a Double Depot Open Day on the 26th April.
http://www.keighleybus.co.uk/news.jsp?newsID=1370

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 07 Apr 2015

Today's outing was nothing spectacular, however did feature the rare working of Fab56-branded B9 6090 on the X35 for a short ride. Read on to find out more;

I had decided last night that I would go out for a short trip somewhere today, rather than do nothing in the house. My alarm was set for 09:00, but as most teenagers do, I managed to sleep through it. I eventually came to open my eyes just after eleven, which I was disappointed about. However, adamant to make a day of the hours I had left, I decided to get the 11:50 #36 to Houghton-le-Spring and go from there. I was out of the house by 11:35, fully prepared for a brief day out with my camera charged.

#36 - Chester-le-Street Durham County Cricket Ground to Houghton-le-Spring Church - (11:51 --- 12:13) - Go North East 5303 - Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro
Ahh.... A Mercedes Citaro! I've never really seen their appeal. Dark inside, awkward seating, the only thing I really like is the noise of the Mercedes engine, and the noise the bell makes when it's pressed haha. Back on a serious note, I just don't like Citaros... I'd rather have one of the regular Solars that Deptford allocate on a daily basis due to shortages of the Mercs (I imagine VORs, etc.) over one of these! The only ones I can stand, I've said this many times before, are the ones Washington have for the 4; still in fine condition, for what is a popular route. 

Not many people on; around 10 when I boarded. Took my seat towards the rear, next to the emergency exit thingy. We passed through Great Lumley, Fencehouses, etc. and got to Houghton-le-Spring on time. Growing less keen on this route each time I use it...think I'll stick to the magnificent B10s all the way through to Sunderland in the future. I just can't stand the Mercs, it's a great start to the day when another vehicle type turns up! Anyway, moving out of the negativity ring, when I got to Houghton-le-Spring, I was pleased when just minutes after my 36 moved on for Town End Farm, a Prince Bishops Solar came into view.

#20A - Houghton-le-Spring Church to Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange - (12:16 --- 12:39) - Go North East 4971 - Scania L94UB/Wright Solar
Looked like a half load was on board, so I joined the queue to board. When we left, we were quite full as around a dozen people had hopped on in Houghton-le-Spring. I've always loved the engine noise of these Solar, they sound somewhat like a DAF. Don't know if it's just me, but the examples on the Loop seem to have a much more DAF-sounding engine that the others. I'm just waffling on for the sake of it now...haha. People hopped on and off throughout the ride to Sunderland, and 4971 had me relatively hate-free. 

For some reason, I was after a ride on the Drifter to Seaham, seeing as Streetlites are entering service imminently on my local route. As I was walking across, I just happened to look back and notice a Fab56-branded decker arriving on the X35, heading to Hartlepool.

#X35 - Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange to Houghton-le-Spring Church - (12:46 --- 13:10) - Go North East 6090 - Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
I had never used the X35 before, despite using the X36. Unsure if it was stopping at Houghton-le-Spring (having read something along those lines before, and never spending enough time in Houghton-le-Spring to see an X35 pass through), I asked the driver and he confirmed. Luckily the seats upstairs on the left-hand side were still available, which I was most satisfied about. A very pleasant journey back to Houghton-le-Spring, accompanied with the free WiFi. It must be said, that the B9TL engine is a great sounding machine. You would think with this B9 doing Newcastle-Sunderland day-in, day-out, they could possibly be destroyed by now; but my ride on this proved otherwise!

There was a pretty big queue waiting to board in Houghton-le-Spring, but across the road there were very few people waiting, so I took the opportunity to take a photograph. Knowing my 36 back home was due any minute, I was relieved to see a red Solar appear, and not a gold Citaro!

#36 - Houghton-le-Spring Church to Chester-le-Street Durham County Cricket Ground - (13:13 --- 13:33) - Go North East 4937 - Scania L94UB/Wright Solar
No more than half a dozen folk on when I joined this journey, and a man who had sat near me upstairs on 6090 was also on. I've seen him a few times on the 36, I'm guessing he's a regular. A pleasant journey behind this Scania, with a nice engine sound too. Much better than the Mercedes I had earlier today!! Big Grin An elderly woman with two grandchildren (I'm guessing, haha) boarded in Great Lumley, heading for Chester-le-Street Park (aka - my local stop). They pressed the bell a stop too soon, and the driver pulled into the stop just before it, on that awkward bend. Can't blame her, but the driver was very nice about it and explained it had happened a few times before. As I walked down the aisle, I told her I'd made that mistaken before, to which she laughed and said she wasn't a regular bus user. 

Good day out, dropped in at my grandma's briefly before walking back to my house. Didn't use the Get Around to it's full potential, in terms of the amount of journeys I made; but like with Saturday's Explorer, I certainly got what I needed out of it. Smile

Marcus

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 07 Apr 2015

(07 Apr 2015, 12:14 pm)Malarkey For anyone who might be interested, Transdev Keighley are having a Double Depot Open Day on the 26th April.
http://www.keighleybus.co.uk/news.jsp?newsID=1370

Tag a trip on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway and jobs a good un.
Pretty easy to get to via Leeds/Bradford too via bus or train.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - omnicity4659 - 07 Apr 2015

Currently writing up my review.

(07 Apr 2015, 2:36 pm)Andreos1 Tag a trip on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway and jobs a good un.
Pretty easy to get to via Leeds/Bradford too via bus or train.
Doesnt cost much to do either, as I learned last July when I did a Day Trip to Leeds/Bradford and Wakefield.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 07 Apr 2015

(07 Apr 2015, 3:27 pm)Malarkey Doesnt cost much to do either, as I learned last July when I did a Day Trip to Leeds/Bradford and Wakefield.

I was looking at the Connexions website earlier and they do a network wide day ticket for £7.50 (I think), no idea if timings/connections would work, but York/Harrogate - Otley/Ilkley could get you the majority of the way to Keighley and hopefully some variety too!

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 07 Apr 2015

Hoping to have a run out somewhere tomorrow but not sure where - was thinking Sunderland as I haven't rode many services.

(07 Apr 2015, 3:34 pm)Andreos1 I was looking at the Connexions website earlier and they do a network wide day ticket for £7.50 (I think), no idea if timings/connections would work, but York/Harrogate - Otley/Ilkley could get you the majority of the way to Keighley and hopefully some variety too!

£7.90 for the WYMetro Bus & Train Dayrover, actually still have ticket from Last Year on my Desk, and its only 25 Minutes on the Train from Leeds Rail Station, so if anyone was planning on going down on the 26th April you get there for the 10:30am Start for the Rally, whether that be by Train or Megabus/NatEX.

Here is my trip from today (one bus)

1000 TW 4070A (Northumberland Park - South Gosforth) 
A short ride on 4070, there weren't any seats on board without having to sit next to someone, gathered some speed up to South Gosforth depot, then slowed to a crawl while passing. I notice the service to Airport sat in the platform, but that left before I arrived.

1024 TW 4064 & 4010 (South Gosforth - Airport - South Hylton - Park Lane) 
I boarded 4010 which was on the rear of this set and sat facing Airport, a rather quiet journey from Kingston Park to Airport, of which only a mother and pushchair boarded at Bank Foot. On arrival at Airport, I stretched my legs before the return journey to South Hylton. The service departed just as another service arrived into the opposite platform, after Callerton Parkway, the Metrocar built up some speed (70 kph) down the bank. A few people got on at Kingston Park, wih their shopping etc, but I couldn't help noticing the large amount of carrier bags lying all over the trackside. On arrival at South Gosforth, we had a driver change which had us in the platform for about five minutes. On approach to Jesmond, I noticed the Manors Chord of which handled ECS Metrocars during the 2013 modernisation works. Newcastle was as ever busy, with loads boarding at Monument. At Gateshead Stadium the Nexus red and green colours smother the station. Some workers were clearing the bushes at the side of the tracks near Heworth, having mainline trains running at reduced speeds (20mph). At Pelaw, we paused briefly to allow a through Pacer along the DCL. We gathered some speed along through Boldon etc, we slowed down again to crawling speed at Sunderland, a few people got on a lot got off, on arrival at South Hylton, I could see the extra-long platform for holding trains during delays. I got off and stretched my legs, I wondered onto the leading Metrocar 4064, and it departed a few moments after. On arrival at Park Lane, I jumped off and got some timetables from the travel shop before heading down to my next ride.

1220 TW 4084 (Park Lane - Sunderland Station)
A short but quiet ride on 4084, slowed down to crawling speed as usual on arrival at Sunderland.

A Grand Central HST rolled in shortly after arrival, more passengers than usual, so I assume there is something happening along the route.

1230 (delayed 1238) NT 14208? (Sunderland - Newcastle)
Rolling in delayed, my donkey arrived. It was very busy and I only managed to get a seat, only a couple of minutes dwell time at Sunderland. I've never been on a mainline train on the DCL before, so passing through Metro stations at speed was quite strange. We then hit a TSR. 20mph between Brockley Whins and Gateshead Stadium. A few moments at Heworth, then we were away. On arrival at Newcastle, I couldn't help but to listen to the conductor drivelling on about luggage and MetroSaver holders had to get off for a good few minutes listening to his rather boring posh accent. 

1304 TW 4017 (Central Station - Heworth)
I decided to stand on this journey for some reason, there was no TSR for Metro services past Gateshead Stadium, on arrival at Heworth I jumped off and got a photo of a CityLink Versa in the layovers before catching my next ride;

1317 TW 4002 (Heworth - South Shields)
I was rather pleased for a prototype to arrive, with the original push-button openings and drab interior, a slight unpleasant smell was present. We paused briefly after we split from the Green line to allow another Metrocar through. Some young children were copying the announcements and talking about football between on the whole journey and I got a bit sick of it by the the time we reached Bede. I took a couple of quick photos at South Shields before I headed to the ferry.

1345 SF Spirit of the Tyne (Cross Tyne service)
A quick ride on the ferry, two large freight ships were at the port. The journey was ruined by a group of youths.

1354 Phoenix Taxis 907 (A20 OJD), Optare Solo M880SL (North Shields Ferry - opp. Tynemouth Metro)
As per usual, a busy journey. I decided not to get off at North Shields town centre and to carry on to Tynemouth Metro. A very friendly driver, who got a bit frustrated around the Fish Quay area with cyclists etc.

1449 TW 4068 (Tynemouth - Northumberland Park)
A busy service, noticed quite a few people on the beach and grassed area when I passed Tynemouth aquarium, 4002 passed us. I managed to bag the front seats again between Tynemouth and Northumberland Park. On arrival at Northumberland Park, I took a few photos from the platform and the car park before heading home.

I hope that you enjoyed reading this as much as I have riding the things.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 07 Apr 2015

You were quick back on that ferry, considering it made you sick the other day? Tongue 

(07 Apr 2015, 4:14 pm)aureolin You were quick back on that ferry, considering it made you sick the other day? Tongue 

Maybe I wasn't drinking Coca-Cola and in the lower deck.  Wink 

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 07 Apr 2015

(05 Apr 2015, 7:32 pm)MarcTheA4 Can't ever recall a ride on an MCW Metrobus. They seem to be fantastic machines, might go down to Scarborough in the summer if they are still in service with Shoreline Suncruisers. Smile They were featured in On the Yorkshire Buses, weren't they? They competed with East Yorkshire Motor Services' Scarborough & District didn't they?

they sure were! rather glad i chose shoreline suncruisers as opposed to an S&D president

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - theblackwatch - 07 Apr 2015

(07 Apr 2015, 5:29 pm)Robert they sure were! rather glad i chose shoreline suncruisers as opposed to an S&D president

When I was in Scarborough a few years back, I avoided the Metrobuses as they were too modern - how times change! Instead I opted for a couple of VRs that were out (EYMS VDV138S - a former Devon General one which I used to see at Torquay & Paignton back in the 80s/90s, and Shoreline's HPK507N). I guess both of these have gone now?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 09 Apr 2015

(07 Apr 2015, 6:15 pm)theblackwatch When I was in Scarborough a few years back, I avoided the Metrobuses as they were too modern - how times change! Instead I opted for a couple of VRs that were out (EYMS VDV138S - a former Devon General one which I used to see at Torquay & Paignton back in the 80s/90s, and Shoreline's HPK507N). I guess both of these have gone now?

Yeah, VDV138S left the S&D fleet last year

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 09 Apr 2015

Well, I had yet another good day out and this even brought two more bus journeys. It seems I have been using the public bus more down here than I do at home.

11:33 165 Filey Park and Ride to Harcourt Place - Scarborough and District Volvo B7RLE Plaxton Centro 366 (YX58 DCF)
When we arrived at the Park and Ride site, there was already a service in which was operated by similar vehicle 365 (YX58 DCE). However, this service was packed and it would have meant me standing all the way to Scarborough which I wasn't doing so I just went into the toilets and let it go. Not long after that journey departed the next service arrived and boarded. The driver was nice and actually saved us 15p which doesn't exactly sound much but every little helps I guess. Like normal i sat at the back so i could familiarise myself with the engine since it has been a while since i have been on one of these Centros. The bus, much like the previous journey, departed full to the brim although most people on board got off at the first main stop which is Aquarium Top for the Seafront. Rather than walk from the Seafront to the shops up the steep streets, we decided to stay on and walk from the shops down to the Seafront like normal. If i have to say anything negative about this journey it would be me being as tall as I am since I had to duck down a bit to see out of the window properly.

14:48 165 Aquarium Top to Filey Road Park and Ride - Scarborough and District Volvo B7RLE Plaxton Centro 366 (YX58 DCF)
Same vehicle as the inbound journey so I didn't bother writing a review since I'm lazy and the journey would be pretty much the same. I still made note of the vehicle and journey details nevertheless. 

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Michael - 09 Apr 2015

Went to Beamish today, unfortunately i could only get the fleet number from the bus i got on at first, as i don't have my phone to take note of the numbers....

2: 8326 - 1007 from Hastings Hill to Washington Galleries, Horrible ride, every time it turned a corner or roundabout the body work would scrape along the floor.

50: Washington Galleries to Chester-le-street - Whey Aye Five 0 Omnicity - 10:39 - Nice ride, was quite busy, was very cool, driver was helpful and nice to everyone.

28: Chester-le-street - Beamish - Waggonway Scania - not sure on what time, anyhow the driver once again was helpful to others, nice ride... until it got to Beamish, it was packed, people waiting to park etc.

Back:

28 - Beamish to Chester-le-street - Waggonway scania - **:41 - Same as before, nice ride although seemed to struggle a tad up the banks...

78: Chester-le-street to Beamish - Red B10 - Ugh, loud and horrible, driver got off to help an old lady find where the 50 stopped in Chester-Le-Street.

Sorry bad review, had no phone so couldn't note down details or anything =(

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 10 Apr 2015

Another brilliant day out today, however I've decided to make this review in a different way. Rather than have each journey go down in a list, I'll see what it's like in ''story format''. Some of you may have noticed I have been quiet over the past two or three days (don't think I made any posts yesterday!!) - I've just decided to do a bit of exercise etc, think I walked the dog around the river twice last night. He's just a puppy, and a Westy too, so his little legs were worn out by the end of the day. However, I did feel quite proud of myself for walking him that much in one day (takes around 25-30 minutes per lap around the river when you have to stop every minute or two so he can sniff around for a bit haha). Anyway, here goes;

Before going to sleep last night, I tried to make a rough draft of the day ahead, planning onwards from my #78 getting into Sunderland's Park Lane at 10:17. I was thinking of hopping off a #56 at Wheatsheaf, then walking around the perimeter of Stagecoach's depot in time for the next #56 towards Newcastle. Then, visits to Go North East's Riverside and Saltmeadows Road depots, however I realised it would be a bit of a mouthful for one day. And, there was the possibility of an Olympian showing at any point during the day, and the whole draft going out of the window. I just listed a few objectives for the day (which I didn't complete all of) and decided to make the day up as I go along, before turning off for the night at around 11:00. 

I had an absolutely terrible nights sleep, I don't know how but I remember looking at my alarm and it was something along the lines of 5:39...nonetheless when I awoke, I had a shower and just about everything else you can do to give yourself a shake in the morning (that is not, I repeat NOT a reference to masturbation!!! Big Grin). Felt quite alright when I left the house at 09:25, and throughout the day I felt little drowsiness. Got to the bus stop in plenty of time for my #78 through to Sunderland, knowing the 09:34 out of Chester-le-Street (09:40 from my local hailing point [yeah I went there]) is operated by Chester-le-Street, I knew this could mean a ''Lime'' B10BLE would show. Unfortunately, I didn't get one, but did have a former Lime vehicle; in the form of 4896. Sat in the quadrant (the set of four seats that face each other, two on the left and two on the right) and let the journey go by. Some nice kick-downs throughout the journey, as well as the smoothness of a Volvo/Wright combination. 

After having a brief wander around Park Lane, I bought a bottle of mineral water from Gregg's, and after deciding to not take any photos outside of the interchange, I saw the loaned Vyking 3983 in the layover. I was waiting to see what it moved onto, but I was disappointed to see it go onto an X36 for Downhill, but luckily I saw a Fab56 B9TL come out of the layover bay behind it, and it made it's way to the stand. Having just bought a 90p Get Around single on 4896, I chose to get my Get Around day ticket on my second bus of the day; which turned out to be 6085. A nice touch was the fleet number of 3981 being on the day ticket, which even though isn't correct, was something rare. 

It's amazing how when a 56 leaves Park Lane, it has no more than 10 people on (in my experience!), yet after hitting Wrekenton and making it's way down Old Durham Road; it's full and standing. Always seemed so surreal to me that we never have many passengers up until Concord. Back onto the review - I disembarked at Gateshead Interchange, where we waited as many as 2-3 minutes to gain access to the interchange due to about half a dozen buses queuing, and some clever driver deciding to drop off an entire load about a third of the way along the Newcastle-bound drop off point. Left 6085, and saw a Saltwell Park Streetlite on the 54 service just a few buses behind. Suddenly the long line vaporised, and Streetlite 8341 came to a stop just feet away from me. After passengers disembarked, no more than half a dozen people remained, and I boarded and sat at the very back. Still in good condition, and even though it was just a short 7 minute journey; it gave me a nice refresher of the Streetlite for the entry into service of the X66 and Coast & Country examples. 

Had a walk around to Pilgrim Street from Market Street West, before making my way back and to Eldon Square bus station. Didn't see any of the motley crew at the top of Percy Street, and proceeded to board a TEN for the MetroCentre. Hopped on the waiting branded vehicle, which was 6082 on the 10B. Another B9 from today, and yet another enjoyable ride. Engine was very quiet, and the interior was rattle-free and smooth. Quiet as well, although suddenly when I walked upstairs, it seemed half of the lower deck got up and joined me. No idea why...when I got to the MetroCentre, it was boiling. Even the open window on the B9 was no good to push out the heat, and as the bottle of water I purchased in Park Lane was gone and thus irritating me, I bought yet another (jumbo size in comparison to the first) at the Gregg's just beyond the main interchange. After this; I headed across to the coach park to see if there was anything, which there wasn't. I then had some exercise from today when I walked along to Riverside (which felt far away walking there, but meters away coming back). A trio of Olympians were at the back, which I took photos of from all angles (albeit with the green fencing stuck in the way - which I imagine will somehow make the photos unworthy of uploading). 

As I walked back, I saw an Olympian in service heading to Newcastle. I was guessing either the Red Kite or Diamond, as I made out a 4 on the side destination. After getting back to the MetroCentre, I hung around for it to come back. Sad isn't it haha? 10 minutes later, I saw the reflection of an Olympian pulling in on the Newcastle-bound stand. 3831 on the 44, pulling in for Newcastle. After everyone had disembarked, the driver (who seemed a lovely chap) asked me if I could help a young mother with a pushchair. I helped her squeeze it through the step-entrance doors, and she thanked me before I boarded and showed my Get Around. Driver smiled and said thanks, before I made my way to the upper saloon. Only a few were downstairs, and not many more upstairs. Sitting at the seats with the huge amount of legroom, I enjoyed every minute of the quiet and pleasant journey into the city centre. Like said many times before, Volvo smoothness was supreme. I have to say I will be sad when these Olympians are withdrawn, but on the bright side; we have those open topper Leylands on the city sightseeing.

Once we arrived in Eldon Square, I hopped off and thanked the driver, who was an old-ish guy with glasses and a pleasant attitude, before he made his way into the layover bays (he was running to good time throughout the entire journey). I decided to hop back on to sit at the very rear to get the whole engine noise. Absolutely spectacular, I even made a 5 minute recording on my phone, right next to the engine. Most enjoyable heading through the villages and fields, with the engine drowning out the talking of the OAPs. As we got close to Stanley, I chose to keep going to Durham; however, when I saw the bus station, I saw a Diamond Citaro in the layover. I knew what this meant...

Instead of heading to Durham, I chose to wait for the next 8/78 back to Chester-le-Street; and it just so happened it was a few minutes before the 8 was due at 14:45. As many as 10 minutes late............I sighted 4906 coming around the roundabout like the 8 normally does, and put two and two together. Had no idea it was 4906 until I saw it's destination screen, and I was pleased with this as 4906 is a favourite of mine. A brilliant ride back down to Chester-le-Street, like 4896 it had plenty of noise in it's engine with some nice kick-down at a few places along the route. Disembarked in my hometown of Chester-le-Street, and had a walk up to the St. Cuthberts Walk for a brief stop into Morrison's. Got some fruit, etc to help with this healthy thing I've decided to start. 

Walked out with enough time to catch the free shuttle by GCT, and I have to say the passenger numbers weren't bad. I counted 7 people that boarded at Cone Terrace, one leaving us at the Black Horse, and the rest at the stop before mine at the top of Ropery Lane. Not many comments to make on SF14 HAE, it's a Bluebird...haha. Driver was alright, greeting passengers as they boarded. Probably grateful for the company with it seemingly so little-used!

Well, that's the in-depth description over. For those who failed to follow, here is a total summary of the day;

09:43 #78 - Chester-le-Street Durham County Cricket Ground to Sunderland Park Lane Interchange - GNE 4896
10:38 #56 - Sunderland Park Lane Interchange to Gateshead Transport Interchange - GNE 6085
11:57 #54 - Gateshead Transport Interchange to Newcastle Market Street West - GNE 8341
12:14 #10B - Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station to MetroCentre Transport Interchange - GNE 6082
13:12 #44 - MetroCentre Transport Interchange to Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station - GNE 3831
13:34 #43 - Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station to Stanley Bus Station - GNE 3831
14:54 #8 - Stanley Bus Station to Chester-le-Street South Burns - GNE 4906
15:36 Free Shuttle - Chester-le-Street Cone Terrace to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace - GCT SF14 HAE

Hopefully this review format makes a nice change, hope you all enjoyed reading. 

Marcus

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 10 Apr 2015

Here's my review for today's outing which saw me turn up in some unusual places.

0728 5 Home - Bishop Auckland (ANE 1498)
Was a few minutes late but eventually turned up and was greeted by the friendly driver. As it's the Easter holidays the journey was rather quiet and was mostly people going to work and the odd OAP heading into Bishop Auckland so this made for a nice relaxing journey.

After getting off the 5 I spent some time getting photos in Bishop Auckland Bus Station and annoyingly I just missed a shot of a 1 heading to Crook. Not a great deal of buses at this time of the morning so time dragged until it was time for my next bus.

0843 X1 Bishop Auckland - Tow Law (ANE 1405)
Bet you weren't expecting this. Another friendly driver on this journey and this journey had a few passengers on although most got off at Crook which left only me and two other passengers on so this was a rather quiet journey. Driver wasn't going very fast as it would have made it early otherwise so I watched the world go by and was a rather nice scenic route and then I got off somewhere in Tow Law.

0938 764 Tow Law - Consett Bus Station (Weardale - V6WMS)
Another surprising twist. Was expecting expecting this to have next to no-one on it, I was wrong as there was already a fair few on-board when I got on and there was more than me getting on which surprised me. This seems like one of those routes where the passengers know their fellow passengers and the driver seemed to know them as well. Quite a nice little bus although it was pretty slow at getting up hills. Another nice friendly driver on this journey. Quite enjoyed this journey as it was another rather scenic route.

Annoyingly the sun was in the wrong place so some of the images came out terrible in Consett.

1048 46 Newcastle - Rowlands Gill (GNE 5237)
Was bored by this point so I decided to get the next 46 and thankfully for me a recently repainted black 5237 turned up. Quite a nice route this one and was fairly quiet although there was a largish family on-board but weren't disruptive. Through this journey I was wondering if there was anywhere I could get off for a photo and when we got to Rowlands Gill the large family were getting off and a fair few people wanted to be on so I decided to take a risk and get a photo here and thankfully it paid off.

1140 47 Rowlands Gill - Newcastle Eldon Square (GNE 4978)
The 45 turned up first but it was rather busy and that was before anyone got on and I could see the 47 coming up behind it so I decided to get on that instead unfortunately this one was also busy but I thought I'd get this as I've never been on one of these. Quite enjoyed this bus ride, just wish I could have gotten an inside seat. Many passengers got off at the MetroCentre which made me happy.

1227 21 Newcastle - Gateshead Interchange (GNE 6068)
This seemed to be my own personal bus ride as I was the only person on it. I had a nice friendly women driver on this journey. Not a great deal else to say as I was only on it about 5 minutes.

1238 93 Gateshead Interchange - Saltmeadow's (GNE 5225)
Was a few minutes late. I do not know the Loop routes so the fact that all I could see was the branding didn't help matters and I only just pressed the bell in time so I got off.

Couldn't really get any photos from outside especially as there was too many people walking around the depot.

1310 Walk Saltmeadow's - Gateshead Interchange (my feet - Vans Classics)
Waited about 20 minutes for the 94 and was starting to get worried that despite what the timetable said I began to think that the 94 didn't stop at that stop. I was fed up by this point so I started walking and about half way back to Gateshead a 94 went past shortly followed by another. Then I got to where Mecca Bingo is and was confused as to which way to walk to reach the Interchange so I spent about 5 minutes walking around like an idiot until I eventually figured out how to get back to Gateshead Interchange.

1347 X21 Gateshead Interchange - Bishop Auckland (GNE 6024)
Can't think of a great deal to say about this journey as I spent the first half of it being angry about having to walk to Gateshead and nearly been hit by a cyclist (I'll leave it at that). Started to enjoy the journey a bit more when we got towards Durham. I saw a MAX StreetLite in Crook whilst I was on the X1 this morning and knew it would be in Bishop Auckland around 15:15 so I stayed on until Bishop Auckland Bus Station.

Sadly the StreetLite was 1590 again and once again I failed to get a shot of the screen, seriously can't get a shot of Arriva's StreetLite's with amber destination screens on the Nikon, might have to try and find a different mode to put it in. One advantage was I managed to get a shot of Pronto 6021 on service 28.

1541 5 Bishop Auckland - Home (ANE 1498)
Back where I started with 1498, was a little disappointed having this again but thankfully like this morning I had another friendly driver. Sadly my MP4 player died when we got to Shildon, King William. I actually spent much of this journey writing this review to save time now.

So an interesting day with some brilliant and some negative results and a few photos are now on my Flickr including black 5237 in Rowlands Gill.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 11 Apr 2015

Today's outing was another huge success. Using a North East Explorer, I managed to travel on all of the major operators (Go North East, Arriva North East and Stagecoach North East) as well as a few hops on the Tyne and Wear Metro. Read on to find out more!

With yesterday being another brilliant day, I chose to end the holidays on a high note with an Explorer. I normally decide my first bus of the day the night before, and it ultimately depends on timings, etc. Normally, I get a 78 or a 36 through to Sunderland and Houghton-le-Spring respectively, but the odd 21 to Durham to start the day is hardly unknown of. So, to break recent routine of the 78 and 36 direction, I went for the 10:05 21 to Durham.

After hearing my alarm buzzing, I dragged myself out of bed and got ready for the day ahead. To catch the 10:05 from Clifford Terrace, I would need to leave the house around 09:50, and as it was 09:30, I had plenty of time. Did all the usual stuff you do on a morning; brush teeth, wash face, etc. before leaving just before 09:50. I must have walked quite fast for some unknown reason, as I was at Clifford Terrace for 09:55 – usually a 10 minute walk! Sorted out a few things while waiting for my 21, when I saw an Angel come into view. I boarded the rather quiet bus and asked for an Explorer, which the friendly driver produced for me with the ticket machine. About half a dozen downstairs, and around half a dozen upstairs; unfortunately the seats at the front were taken, so I had to make do with driver's side a few seats behind the stairs. Not a bad journey on 6067, I've always been somewhat fond of this one. Not only has it always seemed quite reliable, and a regular on the runs I used to use to school and back, it is also the vehicle featured in the Corgi model. 

When I walked back up to the roundabout, I saw a Yellow Bus Olympian with the destination set for the return 43 to Newcastle appear. Walking down into the bus station, I couldn't believe my luck – I'd had 3831 yesterday, 3822 last Saturday, and now I was about to have a ride on 3832! I had been planning on getting the 128 to Beamish Museum, then the 28 through to Newcastle. Nonetheless, I boarded the 10:35 43 out of Durham, which was in the stand for 10:30. Took my seat at the front upstairs on the right, at the seats with the incredible amount of legroom. Yet another brilliant journey on an Olympian, and a quiet one too! Nothing nicer than ploughing through the countryside between Durham and Stanley, upstairs with about three other people who aren't making a single noise. Pure excellence, I was torn between staying on after Stanley and getting off, but as we entered the bus station, I just decided that it would take up too much time during the precious hours I have for the day (wanting to be home for 16:00 to watch the Grand National at 16:15), so I disembarked 3832, and waited for the next X30/X31 direct to Gateshead or Newcastle.

To kill a bit of time, as I had just over 20 minutes before the X30 at 11:28, I had a wander onto the Front Street in Stanley. Had a walk past Corals to see the odds for the National, but unfortunately I couldn't catch a glimpse of anything; was all on the inside! Nonetheless, a quick trip to Gregg's again for something to eat (a Sausage, Bean and Cheese Melt) ensued before I made my way back to the bus station with over 10 minutes left. Turned on the 3G/4G/thingy on my phone and looked at the odds. I knew from experience that the best horses sometimes turned out to be the worst runners in the race itself, so I picked Cause of Causes, at 18-1 when I rang home to tell my mam of the decision. My dad and her had picked Shutthefrontdoor, and my sister had gone for Ballycasey (well, they picked it for her lol). I saw a ''Lime'' B10BLE 4853 enter on a 78 for Consett, likewise 4843 on the 78 for Sunderland. It dawned on me that this may well be my last chance to see them both, with the ''Coast & Country'' Streetlites expected to enter service at some point in the next week or so, with the ''X66'' examples, resulting in their imminent withdrawal. Anyway, I saw a Lolyne come into sight, with a flipdot on the side and an LED destination screen on the front that displayed the X30 for Newcastle; I knew this was my ride!

After those wishing to depart at Stanley disembarked Trident 3801, a very long driver changeover took place in which the bus was left with nobody in control for as many as 3 minutes, before the next driver showed. It was running a couple of minutes late as it was, however as we all boarded I noticed how friendly the next driver was, with impeccable manners and a pleasant smile. There was a family occupying the front seats upstairs, which was a bummer, as they made a huge racket with their 3 children throughout the entire journey! An old couple sat together about half-way along the upper saloon led to me sitting one set of seats behind the stairs. I must say I do enjoy the occasional run on a Dennis Trident, they may seem boring to some but for some reason it always reminds me of the fun we had on scholars last year in Year 8, as Lolynes were generally the key allocation! The family at the front made a terrible disruption throughout the journey as far as Gateshead, where they left us. Praise the lord! After that, it was a nice ride into Newcastle, pretty quiet upstairs after they had left, although there were still a fair few people upstairs. Left 3801 in Eldon Square, the time was 12:11 by the time on my phone, so I chose to make my way to Haymarket Metro for a run up to Kingston Park, and an X47 back.

Made my way into Haymarket's Metro station, where I just missed the Metro for Airport as I got to the bottom of the escalators. It was an 11 minute wait for the next train, so I killed time by walking up and down the platforms on each side of the station, when eventually a set appeared with Airport as the destination. I was only on for about 7 stops, so at first I just stood in between the doors (the train had quietened down from the rush of people into Newcastle) but when the train practically emptied at Jesmond and West Jesmond, I took advantage of the front seats of the carriage I was in (4022). As we approached Regent Centre, I considered disembarking and getting an Arriva bus back to Newcastle for some reason, but I stuck to the thought of an ALX300 back from Kingston Park, which I arrived at a few minutes later. I was pleased the train was holding the level crossing, as I could see an ALX300 with the destination set for the city centre held up just behind the level crossing gates. This gave me enough time to get to the nearest bus stop, where 22412 pulled up, halted by two others wishing to board.

This X47 had 4 people on with me when we pulled out of the stop, and I was quite pleased it was part of the batch of ''X47'' branded ALX300s. I enjoyed the journey very much, with ALX300s being amongst my favourite vehicle types, but so little rode-on during my travels, I now know if I ever need one, I can easily quench that thirst with this route, Metro there and X47 back, or vise-versa. There was a driver changeover at some point during the journey (sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the area), which was long enough to be very noticeable. However, the driver that took over seemed much friendlier than the first; and I personally think having a friendly driver is key to a good journey, be it long or short. He dropped us all off just before Monument, and I could see Monument Metro station from where I had disembarked, so I made my way to that. Knowing there were Metros every few minutes, I made my way down into the underground, and noticed a Metro was due in 3 minutes. Excellent!

This was a one-stop hop, so I didn't make any mental notes at all. Passenger numbers were good, but quite a lot disembarked at Haymarket as well. I was that busy trying to remember which Arriva services that weren't MAX or Sapphire served Regent Centre, that I forgot to even get the Metrocar numbers! After emerging from Haymarket Metro station, I made my way across into the bus station to see a Cobalt Clipper, Coastliner Streetlite and a few MAX and Sapphires boarding. I did however see a Gemini 1 bodied vehicle on the 45 to Dinnington. Don't quote me on it – but I think it was 7488? It was unattended, with nobody on but a queue had formed, so when an ALX400 appeared on the 43, I thought I'd go with that up to Regent Centre, as they're fantastic machines. A few minutes later, the 45 left, and the 43 came into the stand. I sat upstairs at the front on the right, and I saw the crew at the little island between Haymarket and Eldon Square. A brilliant run (albeit short) on 7471, there was only 1 other person occupying the upper deck with me.

The lovely noise of the engine idling when we stopped at traffic, etc. was a brilliant sound, but when I walked downstairs as we approached Regent Centre, I noticed it was crowded downstairs. Pleased I opted to sit upstairs! After watching 7471 depart for Cramlington, I walked across to the Newcastle-bound stands. A long line of buses was forming at the lights, with a MAX Gemini leading; followed by a Solo; a Sapphire; another ALX400, the list goes on! I boarded 7623, which was the MAX Gemini on the X11 that came to a halt first. I chose to sit at the rear downstairs for a change, the engine noise wasn't bad, but I've heard better, shall I say. Passenger numbers were good, a reason I chose to stay downstairs was the fact I saw the front seats upstairs both occupied. Not a bad run back into Newcastle, and I was back at the Haymarket for bang-on 14:00. Popped to Gregg's (yet again) for a regular Hot Chocolate (love hot drinks from Gregg's, even if I am rarely in the mood for one!) before walking across to Eldon Square. That island where I've seen people taking photos before was unoccupied, and I was so tempted to go across and take some photos myself, but I just couldn't be bothered lol.

It was now getting close to 14:10, after walking about for a bit, and as I descended into Eldon Square, I saw a Lowlander fly along Percy Street, no doubt on the X2. I do like the Lowlanders, they have a nice engine noise amongst other things, so I chose to get that back to Chester-le-Street. Vehicle was 7455, which was yet another nice ride with Arriva. Driver pulled into Eldon Square quite early, which is always nice. Quite good when idling, 7455 is another vehicle I can say I've tried. Rarely get Lowlanders, so this journey was something of a nice change. I was back in Chester-le-Street for 14:55, which meant I could relax about not missing the Grand National. I walked across to Cone Terrace, intending to get the GCT shuttle back, but it was nowhere to be seen (wasn't 15:00 yet, and it leaves on the dot of every 20 minutes at 00, 20 and 40 each hour).

A walk back to where I left 7455 for the next 21 back to Clifford Terrace led me to bumping into Gary Wheatley, the point supervisor in Chester-le-Street. Always waves or says hello when he sees me, he's always a pleasant guy, and he asked me where I'd been hiding (hadn't spoken to him in a while). We got talking, and he asked me if I was awaiting the new buses etc. to which I told him some of the information posted on the forum about which ones had arrived, before I saw an Angel drive along North Burns for Durham. I parted ways with him, and made my way to 6062. Not many comments to make, but I must say it was a mess inside; Metro newspapers were scattered all over the floor on all parts of the lower deck, where I sat as it was such a short journey.

My day ended at 15:20(ish), when 6062 dropped me back off at the stop I had started my day at. Yet again, a very successful day out, just a bit disappointed I don't have any photos to show. Here's a log of the day;

10:05 #21 – Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace to Durham Bus Station – GNE 6067
10:31 #43 – Durham Bus Station to Stanley Bus Station – GNE 3832
11:30 #X30 – Stanley Bus Station to Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station – GNE 3801
12:30 Metro – Haymarket to Kingston Park – T&W Metrocars 4022 & 4024
12:48 #X47 – Kingston Park Shopping Centre to Newcastle Monument – SNE 22412
13:17 Metro – Monument to Haymarket – T&W Metrocars Unidentified
13:30 #43 – Newcastle Haymarket Bus Station to Regent Centre – ANE 7471
13:48 #X11 – Regent Centre to Newcastle Haymarket Bus Station – ANE 7623
14:16 #X2 – Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station to Chester-le-Street North Burns – ANE 7455
15:11 #21 – Chester-le-Street North Burns to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace – GNE 6062

Hope you all enjoyed reading. Smile

Marcus

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - omnicity4659 - 11 Apr 2015

(11 Apr 2015, 6:47 pm)MarcTheA4 Today's outing was another huge success. Using a North East Explorer, I managed to travel on all of the major operators (Go North East, Arriva North East and Stagecoach North East) as well as a few hops on the Tyne and Wear Metro. Read on to find out more!

10:05 #21 – Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace to Durham Bus Station – GNE 6067
10:31 #43 – Durham Bus Station to Stanley Bus Station – GNE 3832
11:30 #X30 – Stanley Bus Station to Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station – GNE 3801
12:30 Metro – Haymarket to Kingston Park – T&W Metrocars 4022 & 4024
12:48 #X47 – Kingston Park Shopping Centre to Newcastle Monument – SNE 22412
13:17 Metro – Monument to Haymarket – T&W Metrocars Unidentified
13:30 #43 – Newcastle Haymarket Bus Station to Regent Centre – ANE 7471
13:48 #X11 – Regent Centre to Newcastle Haymarket Bus Station – ANE 7623
14:16 #X2 – Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station to Chester-le-Street North Burns – ANE 7455
15:11 #21 – Chester-le-Street North Burns to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace – GNE 6062

Hope you all enjoyed reading. Smile

Marcus

Great review Marcus, I notice that you have shorter days than my Explorer outings, I normally do 0900 - 1830 on schooldays Smile