North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MurdnunoC - 19 Apr 2015

(19 Apr 2015, 2:18 pm)Jimmi If you could somehow make my bus run late and make me miss my connecting bus you'd complete the set.

In fairness I wouldn't mind being stuck behind just you on two bicycles at the same time, I would want to be stuck behind so I could see that.

I actually own two bicycles - never attempted to ride them both together though.

Could be the making of the next YouTube viral sensation. 

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 19 Apr 2015

(19 Apr 2015, 1:55 pm)MurdnunoC So who's going to the Teesside Running Day next weekend?

I'll be there.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 20 Apr 2015

My Review of my Outing Today will be posted at some point Tomorrow unless I forget.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Diamond One - 20 Apr 2015

Mine was journey to South Shields feeling thirsty then South Shields to Newcastle on 27 then 100 to Metrocentre followed by a trip to Newcastle on 10 for free wifi and then 27 bus home and ironically I had 5212 going up to Newcastle and I had the same bus coming back down must be my luck today my next bus outening will be Wednesday with the assistant Kevin

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 21 Apr 2015

Having not been feeling to well over the weekend I opted not to go out, so instead I went out Yesterday as I felt a lot better and went on quite an adventure, Unfortunately as having other things to do today this wont be a full detailed review...sorry guys, here are Journeys I made.

09:42 - 50 - 5255 - Lambton to Chester le Street
10:16 - 21 - 6062 - Chester le Street to Durham
10:55 - X21 - 6040 - Durham to Bishop Auckland
12:04 - X21 - 6041 - Bishop Auckland to Durham
13:00 - 15 - 6010 - Durham to Consett
14:06 - V8 - 649 - Consett to Stanley Bus Station
14:45 - 8 - 4896 - Stanley Bus Station to Stanley Depot
15:08 - 8 - Stanley Depot to Stanley Bus Station
15:29 - X31 - Stanley Bus Station to Gateshead Interchange
16:21 - 58 - High Level Bridge to Gateshead Interchange 
16:32 - X1 - 6052 - Gateshead Interchange to Newcastle Eldon Square
17:55 - 10 -6072 - Newcastle Eldon Square to Riverside Depot
18:25 - X66 - 5394 - Riverside Depot to Gateshead Interchange
18:50 - X1 - 6007 - Gateshead Interchange to Washington Galleries
19:24 - 2 - 5202 - Washington Galleries to Lambton

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - theblackwatch - 21 Apr 2015

(19 Apr 2015, 2:17 pm)Kuyoyo I'll certainly be there - I could even be getting the vehicles ready on Saturday unless I can worm my way out of it.............like I ended up doing for the public debut of the restored VR H106

(I'm the one at the foot of the ladder)

Of course, Sunday marks H106's first run since the completion of its restoration.

Also attending:

15 Vehicles for use on the service runs:
  • Fleetline 50 from the Darlington 50 Group

• Bristol Coach 304GHN and a Daimler/Roe from the Aycliffe Group

• The Chesterfield Group's Leopard

• Rob Hughes' Bristol LH AFB586V

• The Eden's Leopard L14 (PPT 446P)

• Bristol VR Open Topper LFS296F

• John Atkin will be bring 2 of the Stagecarriage fleet

• Generation Travel will be bring a member of their fleet

• Skelton Coaches likewise

• Roseberry Travel will be sending one of their 2 Neoplan Tourliners (sadly, it seems their Temsa Safari will be away)

Arriva Stockton depot will be sending one of the 'Sapphire' Streetlites along for display while Stagecoach on Teesside will also be represented in some way 

That sounds an excellent event, and I'd probably go if it didn't clash with the Keighley Bus Museum/Trandev event which is more local to me. Hopefully I'll be free next year....

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Kuyoyo - 21 Apr 2015

(19 Apr 2015, 2:17 pm)Kuyoyo I'll certainly be there - I could even be getting the vehicles ready on Saturday unless I can worm my way out of it.............like I ended up doing for the public debut of the restored VR H106

Of course, Sunday marks H106's first run since the completion of its restoration.

Also attending:

• Roseberry Travel will be sending one of their 2 Neoplan Tourliners (sadly, it seems their Temsa Safari will be away)
Arriva Stockton depot will be sending one of the 'Sapphire' Streetlites along for display while Stagecoach on Teesside will also be represented in some way 

We are now up to 20 'in service' vehicles with 50 timetabled runs during the day.

Can also now confirm that Stagecoach are proposing attending with one of the 25 new ADL E300s delivered to Stockton depot last year along with the Control Vehicle which is likely to be 21037 depending on available drivers.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 22 Apr 2015

Right review time.

0932 7 Newton Aycliffe - Durham Bus Station (ANE 1514)
Started off the day on the 7, was a rather busy journey especially with the sun being out. Not really a great deal else to say about this journey.

1030 15A Durham Millburngate - Consett (GNE 3831)
Was originally going to get the X12 to Newcastle but checked the Live Map and discovered it was running 7 minutes late then I saw Lolyne 3872 enter Durham Bus Station on the 20 so I went down towards Millburngate for a photo as the lighting wasn't brilliant outside the bus station this morning on the way down there I caught a glimpse of 3831 heading round the roundabout outside the Bus Station so my mind was made up as to where I was heading next. After I got my photo of 3872 I headed back down to Millburngate to catch this to Consett, was a few on upstairs but many were older people, quite enjoyed this journey as it was quiet and the 15A route is rather scenic and I haven't done this route any further than Lanchester for quite a few years now (in fact the last time I did the 15A to Consett it was a Lime branded B10BLE) so anyway I quite enjoyed this journey and it got quieter as the journey went on with it only having me and another young lad when it got to Delves Lane.

1127 78 Consett Bus Station - Stanley Bus Station (GNE 4855)
Stood around for a bit unsure where to go next then I saw this enter so I went for this as the Lime B10's don't have long left now and also it meant I got to learn the route as I've only done the Stanley - Chester section of the 78 route (had done the old X22 which followed some of the 78 route). Was pleased to get this and it made for a nice journey just was annoying that there was Metro papers and a load of litter where I was sat.

1203 X43 Stanley Bus Station - MetroCentre Bus Station (GNE 647)
Was thinking of staying on 4855 until Chester but I saw the StreetLite in Stanley Bus Station so quickly jumped off and rushed to get a shot of it. After this had gone I got a few other shots before deciding what to get next and this is what I ended up going with as I haven't done the X43 route before and I haven't been on one of the Venture Solo SR's so I thought this was a good call, thought that this was quite a nice little route and I thought that a Solo SR was probably better at getting round some of the roads on this route than say a Lolyne would be. Actually quite liked this Solo SR and I hope they get some for the East Durham services. Was a little disappointed to see Olympain 3822 go past on the 46 as we were arriving at the MetroCentre.

1240 100 MetroCentre Bus Station - Newcastle, Blackett Street (SNE 22028)
Thought I would head to Newcastle next given that the actual idea for this day out was actually to do a bit of shopping around Newcastle so I hung around waiting for something to appear and then saw this so I decided to get this to Newcastle, This was an alright journey nothing really to shout about but was fairly enjoyable.

Got to Newcastle went to Poundworld for three tins of Cherry Coke felt like I was in here for ages and that's because I was as there was only two people on serving. After I finally got out of here I went for a Greggs corned beef pasty and eat that. Went round some of the shops in Eldon Square went into HMV and bought the new San Cisco album (hopefully unlike their last album which I bought at the MetroCentre branch will contain the correct CD as I ended up with a reggae CD last time). Went round some of the other shops in Eldon Square and bought nothing else than I headed to Reflex which is a independent record shop which sells CDs and Vinyls, I bought All Time Low and Kodaline (I have a rather strange taste in music) then I headed to Newgate Street for the 45 which I worked out was the journey 3822 was on earlier so I waited and hoped this is what would appear then I could see something yellow in the distance...

1427 45 Newcastle, Newgate Street - Consett Bus Station (GNE 3822)
... Yep, it was 3822 which made me happy and it made me even happier when I discovered the front seat upstairs was free. just a shame it was fairly worn down but just about comfortable enough to sit on. The 45 is another route that has great scenery which made this allocation even better as I could see more sat upstairs which is good as this is another route I wanted to learn with the upcoming investment. This was another enjoyable journey apart from a rather annoying loud rattling noise which I think was from where the destination screen is although I didn't let this spoil the journey.

1550 15A Consett Bus Station - Durham Bus Station (GNE 3831)
Back with 3831 again, got on this and managed to get the front seat this time though and was pretty happy to be on this again Durham here we come... or not as we left Consett Bus Station only to re-enter the bus station, I think the bus was getting some water in it and after about 5 minutes Durham here we come. This journey was fairly quiet although there was a few on. Because of needing a water top up it was running late but this beast managed to make up time on the roads coming out of Delves Lane. Loved this journey apart from being boiled alive whilst it was sat in Consett Bus Station and although I haven't ridden many of these Volvo Olympians I am going to miss them.

1647 7 Durham Bus Station - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 1513)
I say 1647 it was actually later than that which was no surprise as this journey is always late as it always gets stuck in traffic getting out of Darlington with all the schools traffic, I seriously think some services need more running time around school times with the 7 being one of them as it gets stuck getting out of Darlington and also getting to Nevilles Cross where the timetable says it should take 4 minutes to get from Durham Bus Station to Nevilles Cross - some days it takes around 20 minutes to achieve this journey. I know this journey is always late as I often used to get this journey home from college. Not a great deal to say about this other than it was rather busy and the woman sat behind me seemed to mistake the headrest for a place to hang her coat.

Well that was my day out today, was nice that I managed to get a ride on some Volvo Olympians and also a Lime B10 as they won't be around much longer. Hope you enjoyed reading this review.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 22 Apr 2015

(22 Apr 2015, 7:30 pm)Jimmi 1030 15A Durham Millburngate - Consett (GNE 3831)
Was originally going to get the X12 to Newcastle but checked the Live Map and discovered it was running 7 minutes late then I saw Lolyne 3872 enter Durham Bus Station on the 20 so I went down towards Millburngate for a photo as the lighting wasn't brilliant outside the bus station this morning on the way down there I caught a glimpse of 3872 heading round the roundabout outside the Bus Station so my mind was made up as to where I was heading next. After I got my photo of 3872 I headed back down to Millburngate to catch this to Consett, was a few on upstairs but many were older people, quite enjoyed this journey as it was quiet and the 15A route is rather scenic and I haven't done this route any further than Lanchester for quite a few years now (in fact the last time I did the 15A to Consett it was a Lime branded B10BLE) so anyway I quite enjoyed this journey and it got quieter as the journey went on with it only having me and another young lad when it got to Delves Lane.

Quite a long time ago then? The 15/15A was under the 'Lime' brand at one point (before the cycle friendly bus refurbishments and repaints)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 22 Apr 2015

(22 Apr 2015, 7:43 pm)Robert Quite a long time ago then? The 15/15A was under the 'Lime' brand at one point (before the cycle friendly bus refurbishments and repaints)

It was ages ago, honestly can't remember when it was.

All I remember about that journey was that the weather was like it was today and the heating was on full whack, thought I was going to pass out it was that bad.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - northern156 - 24 Apr 2015

Looking forward to a bus trip in Cumbria tomorrow. Aiming for Workington, Keswick and Windermere - might make it to Lancaster too!

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - northern156 - 24 Apr 2015

Change of plan, North East explorer tomorrow. Haven't a clue where though, just wherever the mood takes me Smile

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 25 Apr 2015

(24 Apr 2015, 9:33 pm)northern156 Change of plan, North East explorer tomorrow. Haven't a clue where though, just wherever the mood takes me Smile

Are you looking forward to the rain?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - northern156 - 25 Apr 2015

(25 Apr 2015, 5:13 am)Dan Are you looking forward to the rain?
Haha it's not too bad in Northumberland at the moment. Would've wanted rain in the Lakes as it would've kept half of Tokyo away!

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - northern156 - 25 Apr 2015

If anyone is wanting to meet up, just reply - I'm around Darlington, Durham, Bishop etc today!

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Kuyoyo - 25 Apr 2015

Also attending:

The Stagecarriage vehicles are now confirmed as Neoplan Skyliner 1 (KX05 HVE) and Volvo Olympian 26 (N703 LTN). Should be fun seeing the Skyliner turn at the Transporter.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 25 Apr 2015

Today's outing has left me, yet again, very satisfied with the £3.75 I paid for it. With the help of a certain Mercedes, I managed a ride on a ''Lime'' B10BLE, a ''Yellow Bus'' Olympian, and lots of other variety within the Go North East fleet. However, as I said in the Go North East: Latest News and Discussion thread, I did have a brief ride out last night after school, to ride a couple of brand new ''X66'' Streetlites. Also, yesterday morning, on the way to school I had a walk down to the market place in Chester-le-Street to see the promotional team setting 5397 up for it's big day. I won't go into detail, but it was a nice trip out to end the long week with. A summary;

16:12 #21 – Chester-le-Street Cone Terrace to Gateshead Transport Interchange – GNE 6062
16:51 #X66 – Gateshead Transport Interchange to MetroCentre Transport Interchange – GNE 5392
17:13 #X66 – MetroCentre Transport Interchange to Gateshead Transport Interchange – GNE 5394
17:34 #21 – Gateshead Transport Interchange to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace – GNE 3864

As you can see, nothing special. 6062 was a very quiet ride throughout the entire 40 minutes I was on it, I think when we reached Gateshead there was five people that I counted, myself and two Sixth Formers from my school being the only people to disembark there. Making my way across to the X66 stand, I watched a new Streetlite departing before me, making it the first I had seen in the flesh with my own eyes (in service, of course – I'd seen all of them last Saturday parked in Riverside). Minutes later, and after a queue of around 10 people had formed, number 5392 rounded the bus station, and dropped off it's load from the MetroCentre. Quite a few people I must say, and once I'd taken my, erm, ''luxurious'' leather seat, many more boarded to the point that every set of seats was occupied, although not all seats were taken, if you know what I mean. Once 5392 dropped us off, I waited for the next X66 back to Gateshead, which was 5394. Again, a pleasant ride, with roughly a similar load to 5392. Once back at Gateshead, I waited for the next Durham-bound 21. This was Lolyne 3864, about five minutes late if I remember correctly. Was home for about 18:30, after yet another nice trip out.

Back to today, I aimed to catch my usual 09:40 #78 from my local bus stop, which I arrived at for 09:35. Hoping for any of the batch of 4853-55, I was disappointed when I spotted a red Renown heading down Ropery Lane. I spotted a W at the start of the registration, meaning it was either 4906/08/09. As I flagged it to a halt, I noted it was 4909. Having not been on this particular example in quite a while, I was somehow pleased to see this vehicle, despite it not being a ''Lime''. Driver came bombing across the roundabout, and yet again, I got the impression it was going to overrun the stop. A new face was at the wheel, not one I can say I had seen prior to today; I'm not sure if it's just me, but Chester-le-Street seems to have a new driver or two every week or so. Small passenger numbers, as ever, on the 09:34 out of Chester-le-Street for Sunderland, think there was six passengers already aboard when I got on. I'm sure you all must get sick of me saying how much I love B10s, so I'll just say that 4909 was making some terrific engine noises, and was without a doubt one of the smoothest vehicles I'd travelled on in a while...certainly beats the awful 4904!!

In fact, 4909 was so fast, by my time it got to Park Lane for 10:12, 5 minutes early, meaning it had 10 minutes in the layover bays! Once I was in Sunderland, the heavens had opened. I was disappointed, as I was looking forward to taking a few photos of buses entering and exiting Park Lane, but I opted not to as I didn't fancy killing off my camera! However, luck was on my side, as I remembered citaro5284 telling me that ''Lime'' 4854 would be operating the 10:37 #78 out of Sunderland, which I stayed around for. Was absolutely thrilled when I saw the distinctive green livery in the corner of my eye; when it got to the stand in the interchange, I boarded without a care in the world. Another fantastic B10BLE – I will seriously miss the ''Lime'' branded examples, I don't know how or why, but I've become really attached to them in recent months. Some great kickdowns in the areas around Penshaw Monument, and the views across the countryside in some parts closer to Chester-le-Street were also fantastic.

This B10 was so fast, it arrived in Chester-le-Street roughly around 11:18, and as it turned onto South Burns, a ''Whey Aye Five 0'' branded OmniCity followed behind having come from Durham. I chose to disembark 4854, and joined the relatively short queue for the 50 for South Shields, the bus in question was 5255. While I do live in Chester-le-Street, I have to say I don't always use that many of the services in the area. Aside from the soon-to-be ''Coast & Country'' routes, the ''Angel'', the ''Pronto'' and the 36, I honestly don't travel on the others that often these days, despite doing so in the past. I've probably stopped using the ''Waggonway'' and ''Lambton Worm'' as much since my grandad died. Although I do love the ''Waggonway'' route, as I think it is very scenic, I do rarely use it these days. As for the 50, I've always been a rare user of it to begin with, although at one point I did use it quite often. When we pulled out from Chester-le-Street, we had a pretty decent number of passengers on 5255. I'm not a fan of these OmniCity's, but I'll admit I didn't mind 5255 as much as I thought I would when I boarded. Survived as far as Washington, where I hopped off.

There was a queue of around 30-40 people waiting for the ''Red Arrows'' X1 heading to Newcastle. I joined them, as I was hoping for an Olympian when I got through there, and 6007 showed after a 5-10 minute wait. Bus was absolutely packed when we left, every single seat was taken, but as I knew there were elderly people in the queue behind me, I chose to stay downstairs and give them a chance with any seats remaining upstairs – so only a man and myself were standing. Half a dozen boarded in Springwell Village, and about half of that number disembarked. A small handful left in Wrekenton, while about 10 people boarded. Absolutely rammed while we headed down Old Durham Road, I think I heard the driver talking to control about the bus being full and setting the destination off or something along those lines. Quite a number left in Gateshead, and a few seats were freed up, however they were eaten up in moments! By the time we got to Eldon Square, the rain had started yet again, and it was awful hanging around for something good to show. I was told by citaro5284 that most of Stanley's Olympians were out of service, so I hopped on the next bus for the MetroCentre that came into the bus station; in the form of 6083 on the 10A.

Front seats upstairs by myself for this journey, and I think about 5 OAPs were downstairs. Put my headphones in and enjoyed the smoothness of the B9TL engine, and as we drew close to the MetroCentre, I saw a selection of Olympians in the Coach Park. It was chucking it down, and I remembered that citaro had told me 3823 would be operating the 13:15 #X31 out of Newcastle, and 3813 the 13:30 #X71, it dawned on me as I crossed the bridge to the Coach Park that I would be wasting my time going across to see the Olympians, at the same time it also came to me that they were on Soccerbus X50 duties. As I double-backed to the bus station, I checked my phone for the time, it was 12:57. I knew I wasn't going to make it to Newcastle in time for 13:15, but possibly for 13:30. I also realised that 3823 and 3813 are both heavily associated with Robert – I couldn't decide whether or not to have a ride on his wife (3823) and see how he reacts when he reads this, or have a go on his ex (3813) and rub it in his face how good the experience was. Deciding to inflict maximum romantic pain on him, I opted to go with his wife to see what she was like. To do this, I had to get the X66 to Gateshead, where I had ample time to catch it at 13:25. However, after 5332 (which was operating this X66, much to my disapproval...) departed we hit some traffic on Handy Drive. Got to Gateshead at 13:22, 3 minutes before the X31 was due. After waiting over 10 minutes more than scheduled, a yellow double decker rounded the corner into the interchange...

With it's distinctive front panel, I knew this was definitely 3823. Inhaling the somewhat distinctive smell of an Olympian, and after showing my Get Around to the driver, I headed to the upper saloon. Sad to see a family with two little children sitting at the front (groan...), I sat one set of seats behind the stairs. Pleasant ride on this Olympian, thrilled I managed to squeeze a ride into today's adventure. The family left in Sunniside, and once we got within about 10 minutes of Stanley, the nice seats at the front became available. Taking advantage of these, I enjoyed the remainder of the  journey up to Stanley. Once we pulled into the bus station, I made my way downstairs to leave. The time was 14:07, and the 8 for Sunderland was due at 14:15, so I hung around for a bit until I saw a red B10BLE fly around the roundabout. I identified it as 4896, a once ''Lime'' branded vehicle. Isn't it funny that when a bus emerges from the paintshop in it's new livery, you can't get your head around it in it's latest guise, but after a long time, you've gotten so used to it's current livery, you can't imagine it in it's old livery? That's exactly how I feel with 4896, as well as some of the Stanley-based Renowns (4897-4902) and the former ''Whey Aye Five 0'' Scanias 4926-4931. Always been a favourite of mine, and I know 4896 is popular amongst other enthusiasts too. It can handle long stretches of roads with little need for the foot to be put down, not to mention it's incredible speeds. A brilliant vehicle for time-keeping, throughout this brilliant ride back to Chester-le-Street, we stopped at quite a few stops as we were ahead of schedule. When we did arrive back in Chester-le-Street, this 8 was good for timing. 

A quick trip into Tesco ensued before I saw an ''Angel'' B5 head along North Burns and come to a halt at the North Burns diversion stand. I must also comment on how well the works in Chester-le-Street seem to be coming along. The town doesn't look like a bombsite anymore, in fact it also looks like it's old self. Quite nice to see that the works seem to have come along pretty fast, although I must add, from what I've seen, the builders take a lot to be desired......no comment! 6067, the Durham-bound 21, was my last bus of the day. 3 OAPs downstairs, me at the rear, and I imagine a couple upstairs. Nice way to end the day (that rhymes for those interested), and I was home for 15:00.

A log of today:

09:41 #78 - Chester-le-Street Durham Country Cricket Ground to Sunderland Park Lane Interchange - GNE 4909
10:33 #78 - Sunderland Park Lane Interchange to Chester-le-Street South Burns - GNE 4854
11:20 #50 - Chester-le-Street South Burns to Washington The Galleries Bus Station - GNE 5255
11:42 #X1 - Washington The Galleries Bus Station to Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station - GNE 6007
12:34 #10A - Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station to MetroCentre Transport Interchange - GNE 6083
13:05 #X66 - MetroCentre Transport Interchange to Gateshead Transport Interchange - GNE 5332
13:35 #X31 - Gateshead Transport Interchange to Stanley Bus Station - GNE 3823
14:16 #8 - Stanley Bus Station to Chester-le-Street South Burns - GNE 4896
14:41 #21 - Chester-le-Street North Burns to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace - GNE 6067

Hope you all enjoyed this week's review! Smile I have to thank citaro5284 for today, as he helped me seek out a few of my aims for the day, keeping me updated, and it wouldn't be right to not give him credit where it's due. Big Grin

Marcus

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - citaro5284 - 25 Apr 2015

Pleased I could help....

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 25 Apr 2015

3813 on the X71?! hope you meant 3831. That traitor can stay right where it is

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 25 Apr 2015

Hi everyone.

In a few weeks time I am planning a trip to Carlisle.

This will be only my second trip to Carlisle with the previous trip being last summer where it truly hammered it down for most of the time I was there so spent a large amount of the time staying indoors to keep dry and I didn't take my camera with me for some reason, although I wouldn't have taken it out with how bad the rain was.

Anyway, I would like to know where would be good places to get photos and also if there is any routes/buses I should consider maybe having a ride out on whilst I am over there for the day.

Thinking of getting the 0845 Stagecoach 685 from Eldon Square and possibly thinking of maybe getting the 1607 685 back from Carlisle although one idea I have had is to maybe jump off in Haltwhisle (probably near the railway station) to catch a shot of the AD122 and ride it back to Hexham before jumping on either the 10 or 85 back to Eldon Square. One issue with the 0845 685 from Newcastle is that the first bus that I can get to Newcastle from Durham on a Saturday is service X12 arrives at Eldon Square at bang on 0845 so the bus is not really possible for an early start so I am thinking of catching the train from Durham to Newcastle and does anyone have an idea how much I would probably be looking at paying for this journey and how I would go about getting tickets as I almost never use the train.

I would love to hear peoples thoughts on here about my plans for this upcoming outing.