North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 24 May 2015

(23 May 2015, 6:17 pm)Michael I'm looking for alternatives to, atm i'm doing the one i posted, probables change my mind by the time i do it.

What about a 74/689 combination Michael?
Both must be two of the most scenic routes GNE operate. The 74 is stunning between Matfen and Hexham.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Michael - 24 May 2015

(24 May 2015, 12:06 pm)Tom What about a 74/689 combination Michael?
Both must be two of the most scenic routes GNE operate. The 74 is stunning between Matfen and Hexham.

I was looking at that Tom but its the timings which was the problem 

(24 May 2015, 1:08 pm)Michael I was looking at that Tom but its the timings which was the problem 

Aye yeah that's the issue, was on the 74 yesterday and it's the best route I've been on by GNE. 

Could you not do this?

#20 0757 East Herrington to Durham Bus Station 0845
#15 0855 Durham Bus Station to Consett Bus Station 0935
#689 0945 Consett Bus Station to Hexham Bus Station 1039
#74 1108 Hexham Bus Station to Newcastle Eldon Sqaure 1228

(24 May 2015, 1:22 pm)Tom Aye yeah that's the issue, was on the 74 yesterday and it's the best route I've been on by GNE. 

Could you not do this?

#20 0757 East Herrington to Durham Bus Station 0845
#15 0855 Durham Bus Station to Consett Bus Station 0935
#689 0945 Consett Bus Station to Hexham Bus Station 1039
#74 1108 Hexham Bus Station to Newcastle Eldon Sqaure 1228

I could but the 20 isnt the most reliable service haha

(24 May 2015, 1:25 pm)Michael I could but the 20 isnt the most reliable service haha

Well that one starts at Sunderland so shouldn't be late haha Smile

Then you could maybe get a X70 to Consett, 78 to Stanley and a X43 to Metrocentre? The X43 should be a Streetlite too, and the X43 is another scenic route. 

(24 May 2015, 1:27 pm)Tom Well that one starts at Sunderland so shouldn't be late haha Smile

Then you could maybe get a X70 to Consett, 78 to Stanley and a X43 to Metrocentre? The X43 should be a Streetlite too, and the X43 is another scenic route. 

Cheers Tom, Smile

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 24 May 2015

(24 May 2015, 1:27 pm)Tom Well that one starts at Sunderland so shouldn't be late haha Smile

May leave Sunderland on-time but may get stuck in traffic getting into Durham. May be quieter with it being the school holidays though.

(24 May 2015, 1:42 pm)Jimmi May leave Sunderland on-time but may get stuck in traffic getting into Durham. May be quieter with it being the school holidays though.

Yeah never thought of that.
There is one that arrives in Durham for 0835 too. 

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 24 May 2015

Managed to spot a bargain last night, so I'm now doing York on Tuesday, and for only £31.00 first class (including PlusBus in York).

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 24 May 2015

It should be but a warning: My school bus usually passes the X43 between Stanley and Tantobie (where they split) and only twice since they entered service has the X43 been a Streetlite operated. May improve over this week but you may not get a 5401 if you go for the X43.

(24 May 2015, 2:00 pm)Robert It should be but a warning: My school bus usually passes the X43 between Stanley and Tantobie (where they split) and only twice since they entered service has the X43 been a Streetlite operated. May improve over this week but you may not get a 5401 if you go for the X43.

Cheers Robert.
An Olympian or Lolyne would be better anyway Smile

(24 May 2015, 2:01 pm)Tom Cheers Robert.
An Olympian or Lolyne would be better anyway Smile

Of course Big Grin Its a shame that i have to take a break from them for a week. Cant say how much i enjoyed 3813 on Friday. Now Stanley have 5419, a Streetlite being allocated to the X43 should now improve.

(24 May 2015, 2:04 pm)Robert Of course Big Grin Its a shame that i have to take a break from them for a week. Cant say how much i enjoyed 3813 on Friday. Now Stanley have 5419, a Streetlite being allocated to the X43 should now improve.

Get yourself on a trip! 

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - tyresmoke - 24 May 2015

(24 May 2015, 1:52 pm)aureolin Managed to spot a bargain last night, so I'm now doing York on Tuesday, and for only £31.00 first class (including PlusBus in York).

Worth going down to the university and getting some photos of the Transdev routes while they're still running them.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 24 May 2015

(24 May 2015, 3:04 pm)tyresmoke Worth going down to the university and getting some photos of the Transdev routes while they're still running them.

I'll make a point of doing that Smile

To be honest I'm going there a bit blind, as I don't really know what to look out for. All I've got so far are the Bendies on the P&R, the Coastliner buses, and the 415/416 MAX services, so any suggestions are most welcome.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - tyresmoke - 24 May 2015

(24 May 2015, 3:05 pm)aureolin I'll make a point of doing that Smile

To be honest I'm going there a bit blind, as I don't really know what to look out for. All I've got so far are the Bendies on the P&R, the Coastliner buses, and the 415/416 MAX services, so any suggestions are most welcome.

Plenty of companies run into York, you've got Reliance, EYMS and Stephensons running longer distance services. Arriva run the city tendered services 24/26/27 plus longer distance services to Selby, while Transdev have Unibus 44, uni tendered 20 and various other university shuttle services, and the City Sightseeing loop. Coastliner are well known of course. First's city services are all over, including the Park & Ride operation. First will take over the university tendered routes later in the summer.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - northern156 - 24 May 2015

(24 May 2015, 3:05 pm)aureolin I'll make a point of doing that Smile

Shame the Wright Street Car things weren't around on the 4 as I used to get those every time I went to York to visit family (who live near Acomb). I do recommend the route as it's lovely going past the Racecourse and Acomb is a nice little suburb.

The Arriva Solo SRs are a pretty nice ride. Also IIRC, EYMS do a route from Market Weighton to York?

I believe the X4 (Wicstun Express) goes between Market Weighton and York. It then goes on to Hull

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Davie - 26 May 2015

My review from today's outing:
6036 X25 Wrekenton - Newcastle
I really hate these buses, I'm sorry for the negative comment, but these (In my opinion) are horrendous. Anyway, I walked around the corner but I heard I'd  just missed a X1 service, and service X25 wasn't due for another 20 minutes, however, to my surprise (and Displeasure) I saw 6036 passing Farm Foods, and a gentleman said to me 'I have been waiting over 40 minutes for this one bus to turn up, I'm supposed to be meeting a friend on this bus.' I wasn't sure how to reply to this so I just nodded. After I got off this in Intu Eldon Square bus station, I went into Poundland to get 6 cans of pop for £2 (You can't go wrong Tongue ). Having met with my friend Lee (I'm sure you are all aware of who he is)  I explained to him what I'd plan to do for my day out.
7468 X20 Newcastle - Ashinghton
I am pretty sure I fell in love with this bus. I very rarely use Arriva buses (hence why I had this day planned) and I  saw this operating service X20. My immediate reaction was 'This won't make the journey' but I couldn't have been more wrong, it was one of the best and smoothest rides of my life. Having got off at Ashinghton bus station, I took some photos (Some are on my Flickr account) which I though came out rather poorly, however, I'm over the moon about the kind feedback I've had off people, especially members of this forum Smile .

7524 (I think) X22 Ashinghton - Regent Centre
After quite a bit discussion, me and Lee went to try and catch a 35 service to Morpeth, however, there were a lot of passengers ready to board it so we decided to head into the bus station for what turned out to be one of the worst bus journeys of my life. First of all, I found the seats very uncomfortable (You might have seen Lee's post in the 'Whats annoying you today' thread, secondly 2 girls kept shouting and jumping a round the bus. The one positive I can take from this journey is I enjoyed my text message conversation with Lee. After finally arriving at the Regent Centre (The journey dragged like mad) me and Lee then split up because he had to go home.

7512 X15 Regent Centre - Morpeth
With the bus due at 14:43 (I think) it didn't turn up until 14:58 with a rather angry driver. I quite liked this journey despite the bus being quite full it was a smooth ride to Morpeth. I don't think I can say much more about that.
7531 X18 Morpeth - Newcastle
After spending around 30 (Not exactly correct, it could have been more and it could have been less) 7531 turned up operating service X18 and this actually gave me a bit of an option because 1500 (I think) turned a couple of minutes later on service 44, however I opted to go on the X18 as I knew that only took 27 minutes whilst the 44 took 45 (?). Another 64 - reg Enviro400 I didn't enjoy, it was (Like 7524) dragged like mad, and it didn't help that there were young children running around on the bus like chickens which had their heads chopped off. After I got off at Haymarket bus station, I decided to get a couple of bus photos before walking to Manors train station for train photos (Which will probably be on Flickr sometime tomorrow).
5268 1 Newcastle - Wrekenton   

After starting the day on a bus I didn't like, I ended the day on a bus I don't like. Thankfully, the driver I had sometimes talks to me when I am taking the odd bus photo around Wrekenton, but apart from that, I didn't enjoy the bus journey home.

Thanks for reading,
Davie 

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MurdnunoC - 26 May 2015

@Davie

Were you taking photos opposite the exit of Haymarket Bus Station today at around 12:30-ish? You might have been next to (or even sitting on) the little wall adjacent to the car-park. If so, I may have seen you.