North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 18 Dec 2015

(18 Dec 2015, 4:34 pm)Jimmi Problem with that is, I will be on the X93, so it would make more sense to catch the 840 in Whitby although annoyingly it's the winter X93 timetable so annoyingly it's only one bus an hour between Whitby and Scarborough. Annoyingly I have to try and think where I need to be at the right time, it's no good being in Scarborough when it's on the 840 to Whitby. Hopefully the Yorkshire Coastliner Facebook/Twitter will give me it's whereabouts.

While it will be a bit awkward for you, you could get the X93 to Scarborough (as you have planned) and then the S&D 128 to Thornton-le-Dale. Bit of a trek, I know but it is just a suggestion.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 18 Dec 2015

(18 Dec 2015, 4:42 pm)S813 FVK While it will be a bit awkward for you, you could get the X93 to Scarborough (as you have planned) and then the S&D 128 to Thornton-le-Dale. Bit of a trek, I know but it is just a suggestion.
If I hear it's whereabouts, I will be able to plan accordingly. Would be totally ideal if it was to be allocated to the 07:10 Leeds - Whitby and 11:06 return.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 19 Dec 2015

(18 Dec 2015, 2:45 pm)Jimmi My plan for tomorrow is to hopefully try and track down the Volvo B5TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 3 demonstrator that is currently on trial with Transdev Yorkshire Coastliner. Hopefully they will reveal it's whereabouts, with some luck it will end up on a run to Whitby, Scarborough or Bridlington, although knowing my luck it won't.

I've failed!

Rather gutted but other than not being able to find this, it has actually been a rather good day. Got some good photos in some slightly different places to usual which will probably be uploaded to my Flickr tomorrow. Not sure what to make of the fact my X93 back to Middlesbrough is likely to be a Sapphire Pulsar.

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 19 Dec 2015

Today I set out with the goal of catching the Volvo B5TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 3 demonstrator on trial with Transdev Yorkshire Coastliner, I think you can guess how that panned out, anyway here's the journeys I made today.

0758 7 Newton Aycliffe - Harrowgate Hill (ANE 1523)
I had a 7 minute connection between the 7 and X66 to Middlesbrough so as you can imagine I wasn't totally pleased that it was 4 minutes late, thankfully the 5A was in front of the 7 so it picked up most of the passengers, time-keeping on that 5A went right out of the window, it left Harrowgate Hill around 7 minutes early, wish I'd known that was going to happen otherwise I'd have gotten that instead of walking for the 7. As mentioned earlier in the ANE Latest December thread it was constantly making a squeeking noise, it sounded like a load of mice were on the bus, really annoying!

0816 X66 Harrowgate Hill - Middlesbrough (ANE 4657)
As ever with a journey on an Omnicity I sat in the quadrant seats so I could stretch my legs out. Pleased that this example turned up this as I haven't been on this one in ages, this one seemed slightly faster than some of the other X66/X67 branded examples but was a bit shaky when stationary. Did a bit of spotting in Middlesbrough Bus Station before catching my next bus, saw a few Arriva drivers wearing Christmas jumpers today and 1472 had snowflakes on the windows.

0920 X93 Middlesbrough - Whitby Bus Station (ANE 7402)
Took my place upstairs to soak up the scenery of this route, pretty good views can be observed from the top deck. I think these Volvo B9TL's were a fantastic buy for this service, they handle this route brilliantly, I am worried though about what will be used on routes like the X93 in future, I think light weight single deckers with tiny engines will struggle on routes like these so those are some worrying times in the years to come. Anyway I made the decision to alight in Whitby. Annoyingly I just missed getting a photo of the Sainsburys MPD and only just caught a shot of the Whitby Park and Ride Solo, somehow the Sainsburys MPD (1759) turned up two more times and I missed it on both of those occasions as well.

1106 840 Whitby Bus Station - Thornton-le-Dale (Yorkshire Coastliner 427: BF62UXX)
Another B9TL for this journey, this is my first time on a Transdev bus and I think that it has a nice interior although I thought it was a little strange that they had covered the ledge at the front upstairs with the flooring. This was another journey where the Volvo B9TL proved itself to be a cracking bus and handled the hills plus the twists and turns pretty well. This must be the first journey I've done where there is sheep just walking in the middle of the road. There was some cracking scenery on this route. I made the decision to bail at Thornton-le-Dale (partly because Robert - S813 FVK suggested it) but also because it worked out that the EYMS: Scarborough and District 128 would be heading to Scarborough a few minutes after the 840 leaves, I was thinking of catching that straight to Scarborough but I'd thought that I'd get the 12:20 128 to Pickering as I'd see another Coastliner 840 whilst waiting for the 128 to Pickering.

1220 128 Thornton-le-Dale - Pickering (Scarborough & District: 742: YX08FXD)
Yet another Volvo B9TL, although this one had the original Wright Eclipse Gemini body rather than version 2 body which we see on most Volvo B9TL's. This was my first journey on a EYMS bus, this was only a short journey on this bus but it seemed pretty nice enough. Alighted at The Ropery (by the Library) taking a photo when I got off then walked down to where the Yorkshire Coastliner's stop in Pickering with Volvo B7RLE/Wright Eclipse Urban YJ07PDU operating service 840 to Thornton-le-Dale. I then made my way back to the Ropery to catch the 128 to Scarborough.

1300 128 Pickering - Scarborough Rail Station (Scarborough & District 741: YX08FXC)
Sister to the bus I got to Pickering. Pretty quiet journey with only a small handful of passengers already on-board and a few boarding/alighting along the way. Pretty nice bus, the seats were extremely comfortable and this was another route with some fairly nice scenery although not exactly breathtaking like on the 840 and X93. Quite liked this journey, pretty steady away and was pleased I arrived in Scarborough just in time to see yet another Coastliner Volvo B9TL although this one had the original Wright Eclipse Gemini body. Did a bit of spotting in Scarborough, for some reason I mainly snapped MPD's and the Shoreline Suncruisers service buses, one thing I was happy to get a shot of was the Viking FM liveried Volvo B9TL (similar to what we have in the North East with the Metro Radio liveried Scania OmniDeckka although this is black rather than pink and orange). Also had a bit of a walk around Scarborough.

1655 X93 Scarborough - Middlesbrough (ANE 7402)
Back with 7402 again. This journey was certainly much quieter tonight than it would be during the summer, including myself there was three passengers upstairs between Scarborough and Whitby where the other two departed leaving me with the entire top deck, I took advantage of this by pacing up and down the bus whilst it was sat in Whitby as my legs and knees were hurting a bit, lord knows what the driver was thinking whilst she stood outside the bus smoking, as the bus got to Scaling Dam I even thought about having a lie down on the backseat. Two people boarded at Guisborough Market Place who decided to sit next to me at the front upstairs. After arriving in Middlesbrough I took a few photos to pass the time before catching my connecting X66.

1925 X66 Middlesbrough - Darlington Tubwell Row (ANE 1405)
At last something that isn't a B9! Pretty pleased that this was a Stockton run as there was probably less chance of a Solo appearing, this certainly provided some thrash on the A66, the bus headed along Stockton High Street where I spotted Kuyoyo who took a photo when it got to the South End stop before it left for Darlington, this journey additionally runs via Hartburn in place of the X67 at this time of night. Was a quiet journey, only three passengers on-board until North Road, Darlington where a few more boarded. Was going to get a photo when I got off but the driver switched the bus off so there was no point, so I made my way for the 7.

2015 7 Darlington Tubwell Row - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 1513)
This was actually late but I couldn't remember the exact time I got on, pretty busy journey with some young lasses and a lad taking up most of the seats towards the back, on this journey they were a bit loud and disruptive, shouting to each and really loudly singing along to Rihanna, most of the other passengers especially the two older blokes did not look amused and kept turning around, unfortunately I had the slight embarrassment as I was sat just in front of them, normally this would bother me but for some reason I just let it go and for some reason I'm ashamed to admit I had to stop myself from joining in the sing song.

Apart from not finding the Volvo B5TL, I actually had a fantastic day out today and was nice seeing new areas and sampling two operators that I hadn't sampled before. The photos from today's outing will be on my Flickr tomorrow night (Sunday 20th December). This is likely to be the last outing review of 2015, so all there is left to say is, thanks for reading all my reviews this year and have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year, hope to do more exciting outings like this in 2016.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Michael - 19 Dec 2015

Jimmi, i think you've clicked post 3 times by accident.

(19 Dec 2015, 11:17 pm)Michael Jimmi, i think you've clicked post 3 times by accident.
Sorry about that, had some posting issues. Now should only be shown once.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Michael - 19 Dec 2015

(19 Dec 2015, 11:18 pm)Jimmi Sorry about that, had some posting issues. Now should only be shown once.

Its ok, was just an observation.

Good review, shame you didnt get to ride the demo Sad

Always next time.

(19 Dec 2015, 11:26 pm)Michael Its ok, was just an observation.

Good review, shame you didnt get to ride the demo Sad

Always next time.

Knew it was a bad idea writing this review on the Tapatalk app, said that the connection had timed out so I had to press post reply multiple times, so that's how I ended up posting it about 6 or 7 times, just when I thought I'd got it down to one there was still another two I had to delete.

Yeah it was a shame I didn't catch the demo, but life goes on. Actually have some photos of said bus from when it was with Go North East last year but they were taken on a awful little camera and I had only just started out so my photo taking skills weren't great back then.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 20 Dec 2015

You could have even ventured up a bit further to Goathland (probably went through it since Thornton-le-Dale is south of Whitby - Pickering definitely is) and captured the novelty of Heartbeat land.

Glad you had a nice day out though. Did more than me haha.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 20 Dec 2015

(20 Dec 2015, 8:58 am)S813 FVK You could have even ventured up a bit further to Goathland (probably went through it since Thornton-le-Dale is south of Whitby - Pickering definitely is) and captured the novelty of Heartbeat land.

Glad you had a nice day out though. Did more than me haha.

Yes, the bus went through Goathland on my journey to Thornton-le-Dale. Was a good day although I was totally shattered by the time I got home.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - omnicity4659 - 20 Dec 2015

My outing from yesterday: Arriva Triple All Zones £7.00

0856 #1 Seaton Hirst to Ashington Bus Station - Arriva Northumbria 1765
0915 #X20 Ashington Bus Station to Woodhorn Crossroads - Arriva Northumbria 7470
0930 #35A Woodhorn Crossroads to Ashington Sports Direct - Arriva Northumbria 1792
1015 #35A Ashington Sports Direct to Morpeth Bus Station - Arriva Northumbria 1581
1045 #PR1 Morpeth Bus Station to Morpeth County Hall - Arriva Northumbria 7507
1100 #PR1 Morpeth County Hall to Morpeth Bus Station - Arriva Northumbria 7507
1115 #2 Morpeth Bus Station to Morpeth Railway Station - Arriva Northumbria 1771
1240 #X15 Morpeth Bus Station to Newcastle Haymarket - Arriva Northumbria 7516
1320 #X15 Newcastle Haymarket to Alnwick Bus Station - Arriva Northumbria 7516
1528 #X20 Alnwick Bus Station to Ashington Bus Station - Arriva Northumbria 7470
1650 #1 Ashington Bus Station to Seaton Hirst - Arriva Northumbria 1765

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Charles41 - 20 Dec 2015

Good review Jimmi, the trip over the North Yorks Moors from Middlesbrough to Whitby is one of my favourites. Whitby is great for exploring all the little shops and getting photographs. I hope to visit again in 2016.

Charles

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 20 Dec 2015

My trip out from yesterday. 

The aim of the game was to try and get as many different vehicle types as possible, but whilst working to time constraints for getting back towards Durham. The weather remained good for the majority of the day, and it was not until we got to Wrekenton that the heavens opened.

I used an Explorer North East ticket for the day.

#8 Fatfield Road - Chester-le-Street
Go North East 5407 - Wright Streetlite DF/Micro Hybrid - 'Coast & Country'

#X12 Chester-le-Street - Durham
Arriva 7620 - VDL DB300/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 - 'MAX'

#57A Durham - Hartlepool
Arriva 2818 - Optare Solo M950

#1 Hartlepool - Middlesbrough
Stagecoach 35158 - Dennis Dart SLF/Alexander Pointer 2

#64 Middlesbrough - South Bank
Arriva 4706 - Temsa Avenue

#64A South Bank - Middlesbrough
Arriva 4704 - Temsa Avenue

#39 Middlesbrough - Park End circular
Stagecoach 24106 - MAN 18.240LF/Alexander Enviro 300

#11 Middlesbrough - Orchard Road
Stagecoach 17027 - Dennis Trident/Alexander ALX400

#12 Orchard Road - Middlesbrough
Stagecoach 27240 - ADL E30D/Enviro 300

#X66 Middlesbrough - Stockton
Arriva 1405 - VDL SB200/Wright Pulsar 2 - 'MAX'

#X12 Stockton - Durham
Arriva 7627 - VDL DB300/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 - 'MAX'

#21 Durham - Chester-le-Street

Go North East 6067 - Volvo B5LH/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 - 'angel'

#X25 Chester-le-Street - Wrekenton

Go North East 4934 - Scania L94UB/Wright Solar

#Q2 Wrekenton - Heworth

Go North East 8335 - Optare Versa V1110 - 'Quaylink'

#57 Heworth - Gateshead

Go North East 5296 - Mercedes Citaro 0530N - 'Citylink'

#X1 Gateshead - Washington Galleries

Go North East 6006 - Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 - 'Red Arrows'

#37 Washington Galleries - Parkway
Gateshead Central Taxis YJ64DYV - Optare Solo M890 - 'Nexus'

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 21 Dec 2015

Currently sat on 8305 on the sideways seat at the front of the bus. Two annoyances about this are: with standees on-board, my kness have been right in the crotches of everyone who has got on/off since Team Valley (not joking!) also because my knees were sticking right out in the aisle, I had to put my legs over the handrail in the pushchair bay when someone got off the bus in a mobility scooter.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - DanPicken - 21 Dec 2015

(21 Dec 2015, 5:28 pm)Jimmi Currently sat on 8305 on the sideways seat at the front of the bus. Two annoyances about this are: with standees on-board, my kness have been right in the crotches of everyone who has got on/off since Team Valley (not joking!) also because my knees were sticking right out in the aisle, I had to put my legs over the handrail in the pushchair bay when someone got off the bus in a mobility scooter.

Chose a bad seat there.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 21 Dec 2015

Typical...look at what was on the 840 this evening Jimmi!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128789124@N06/23784496282/in/photostream/

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 21 Dec 2015

(21 Dec 2015, 8:18 pm)S813 FVK Typical...look at what was on the 840 this evening Jimmi!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128789124@N06/23784496282/in/photostream/

Shut up! Tongue

Finding that bus with them if you don't stand in Leeds, Malton or York all day or have anyone to give you info to it's whereabouts is like finding a needle in a haystack.

On the upside, I managed to catch EYMS; Viking FM liveried Volvo B9TL.
https://flic.kr/p/Ck8U7q

To see an album of my photos from Saturday, click the link below.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@N02/albums/72157662035812060

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 21 Dec 2015

(21 Dec 2015, 8:36 pm)Jimmi Shut up! Tongue

Finding that bus with them if you don't stand in Leeds, Malton or York all day or have anyone to give you info to it's whereabouts is like finding a needle in a haystack.

On the upside, I managed to catch EYMS; Viking FM liveried Volvo B9TL.
https://flic.kr/p/Ck8U7q

To see an album of my photos from Saturday, click the link below.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@N02/albums/72157662035812060

Aye haha. I did ask them which journeys it would be operating but i got no response. 

As for that EYMS B9, do we prefer that to 6133? Don't think ours would look good in black - the two radio stations on the bottom look really nice.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 21 Dec 2015

(21 Dec 2015, 9:29 pm)S813 FVK Aye haha. I did ask them which journeys it would be operating but i got no response. 

As for that EYMS B9, do we prefer that to 6133? Don't think ours would look good in black - the two radio stations on the bottom look really nice.

I also asked them, first thing Saturday morning on Facebook but I also got no response.

6133 in black with a similar style to this would either look great or it would look not quite right. I quite like the style of 6133.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - omnicity4659 - 28 Dec 2015

Here is my small outing from today;
Ticket: 4x Teen Card discount fares - £3.60

1307--1311 #X21 Seaton Hirst to Ashington Bus Station / Arriva Northumbria ADL Enviro400 7505 (NK57 GWX)
A short hop on this Sapphire spec Enviro400, The service was pretty quiet for the time of day. After I alighted, I went to see if anymore Volvo B7TL/Wright Geminis has entered service, but unfortunately they were in the depot with only 7412 parked in the yard, VOR.

1340--1420 #X20 Ashington Bus Station to Newcastle Haymarket / Arriva Northumbria ADL ALX400 7446 (NK05 GWY)
This was the first time that I've travelled on a 2005 ALX400, the ride was quite smooth compared to an older ALX400 and the newer Enviro400. The ride down the Spine Road was no faster than 45-50mph. We then used the alternative registered route of Sandy Lane as opposed to the A19 and the A1. Haymarket, as per usual was hell getting in, buses in other stands and Go North East vehicles in the X20 stand. I got off and wandered down to Eldon Square for some timetables. I took a few photos of Stagecoach Cumberland's 27141 before taking some photos of two Go North East Volvo B9TLs in plain red.

1459--1610 #X18 Newcastle Haymarket to Widdrington Station / Arriva Northumbria ADL Enviro400 7516 (NK09 FNC)
This was again my vehicle to the North, originally planning for Alnwick, but I wouldn't be home yet if I did that. The ride up to Morpeth was as boring as usual with nothing really to note. 7516 did seem a bit more sluggish than the last time I had her on the X15. A young boy was playing with a mango with what I assume, was his father, as you do. I got off in Widdrington Station, and took a quick snap of Arriva Northumbria's 7532 heading southbound. A few trains passed through at speed including Virgin Trains East Coast's 91125 and an Arriva CrossCountry Class 220 Voyager.

1638--1715 #1 Widdrington Station to Seaton Hirst / Arriva Northumbria ADL Mini Pointer Dart 1765 (NK05 GWD)
I was welcomed aboard this bus by a lovely driver who is a star to Arriva Blyth. She mentioned that I got around quite a lot after seeing me in Ashington a few hours earlier. By this time it was pitch black outside, the noise of rattles and the engine were so loud I couldn't hear my music! The bus didn't pick up any passengers up until Lynemouth, where one person boarded. Nobody else boarded until Ashington. Not long later, I approached my stop and thanked the driver.

The photos from today are now on my Flickr.