North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - mb134 - 19 Feb 2016

(19 Feb 2016, 3:26 pm)GX03 SVC Well, if you find biglugs' journeys boring, I'm doing the X21/X22 just to charge my iPad.

An entire cycle?! Mind, you'd have been mighty unlucky if you'd got on to find the sockets not working Wink

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - omnicity4659 - 19 Feb 2016

(19 Feb 2016, 6:36 pm)mb134 An entire cycle?! Mind, you'd have been mighty unlucky if you'd got on to find the sockets not working Wink

Aye, Ashington-Newbiggin-Newcastle-Ashington, all on the X21 as this doesn't run onto a X22.

Yes, the WiFi and sockets are working Wink

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - DanPicken - 19 Feb 2016

(19 Feb 2016, 7:12 pm)GX03 SVC Aye, Ashington-Newbiggin-Newcastle-Ashington, all on the X21 as this doesn't run onto a X22.

Yes, the WiFi and sockets are working Wink

So at least we know it was a 14 reg one.

(19 Feb 2016, 7:14 pm)DanPicken So at least we know it was a 14 reg one.

Wrong. 7507 Big Grin

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 19 Feb 2016

(19 Feb 2016, 7:18 pm)GX03 SVC Wrong. 7507 Big Grin

Haha. Love it Big Grin

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - DanPicken - 19 Feb 2016

Quite surprised at that..

(19 Feb 2016, 7:28 pm)DanPicken Quite surprised at that..

Surprised that I'm getting the correct level of service from Arriva?

I'm not......

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Davie - 19 Feb 2016

(19 Feb 2016, 7:33 pm)GX03 SVC Surprised that I'm getting the correct level of service from Arriva?

I'm not......
I think he was saying he was "Surprised" the sockets were working.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - LeeCalder - 19 Feb 2016

Had a brilliant day in Cambridge and Milton Keynes, photos will appear online within the next few days.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - biglugs@yahoo.com - 20 Feb 2016

Well a 2 day outing all in 1 as i didn't do one yesterday
I am only doing service and fleet on these
28015 #16
142015#northern
185142#first
5299#36
5216#20
1576#23
5370#60
28017#3
36084#4
8269 #×35
5214#20a
39727#4
And today was
36092#4
4084#108
Pn06fjc #808
3983#21
6055#×1
8327#2
28007#16
39730#18
5212#20
5336#×7
5371#60
28029#13
4974#×36
36092#4
6097#56
142067# northern
5364 #4
5256#50.
6085 #56
39730#18

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - mb134 - 20 Feb 2016

Decent one that,

Didn't the driver get sick of you? Wink

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - BusLoverMum - 20 Feb 2016

(20 Feb 2016, 10:38 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com Well a 2 day outing all in 1 as i didn't do one yesterday
I am only doing service and fleet on these
28015 #16
142015#northern
185142#first
5299#36
5216#20
1576#23
5370#60
28017#3
36084#4
8269 #×35
5214#20a
39727#4
And today was
36092#4
4084#108
Pn06fjc #808
3983#21
6055#×1
8327#2
28007#16
39730#18
5212#20
5336#×7
5371#60
28029#13
4974#×36
36092#4
6097#56
142067# northern
5364 #4
5256#50.
6085 #56
39730#18

Honestly, this is getting quite silly. It's almost like a puzzle. I do think you were ribbed unfairly for your local journeys, the other day and my point that it wasn't something I would do myself, but I wouldn't have a go at you for it, either. Each to their own, and all that. (plus - I've spent almost £60 on busfare, this week. An awful lot of money for many and that's just for 3 days out with assorted kids)

I wouldn't go on Charles' trips, either, for context. They're weird and wonderful, but I don't share his interest in small company bus fleets - and my days of being able to comfortably walk as far as he does are long gone, thanks to old age and decrepitude. Again, though - each to their own.

Similarly, I don't share Bazza's wish to photograph every bus in every major fleet in the region. It (usually) makes him very happy though, so who can argue with that? I understand when he's frustrated about something, because big'un reacts in a similar way to certain frustrations and disappointments.

Have more confidence in yourself. Do what you enjoy. Feel free to share it. Share it non-cryptically. Adopt the mantra of each to their own, but express it with a shrug, rather than angrily and defensively.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Diamond One - 21 Feb 2016

(19 Feb 2016, 3:26 pm)GX03 SVC Well, if you find biglugs' journeys boring, I'm doing the X21/X22 just to charge my iPad.
That journey is ok if am honest it's got lovely scenery it's not boring at all although I do find big luggs journeys Boring
(20 Feb 2016, 11:13 pm)BusLoverMum Honestly, this is getting quite silly. It's almost like a puzzle. I do think you were ribbed unfairly for your local journeys, the other day and my point that it wasn't something I would do myself, but I wouldn't have a go at you for it, either. Each to their own, and all that. (plus - I've spent almost £60 on busfare, this week. An awful lot of money for many and that's just for 3 days out with assorted kids)

I wouldn't go on Charles' trips, either, for context. They're weird and wonderful, but I don't share his interest in small company bus fleets - and my days of being able to comfortably walk as far as he does are long gone, thanks to old age and decrepitude. Again, though - each to their own.

Similarly, I don't share Bazza's wish to photograph every bus in every major fleet in the region. It (usually) makes him very happy though, so who can argue with that? I understand when he's frustrated about something, because big'un reacts in a similar way to certain frustrations and disappointments.

Have more confidence in yourself. Do what you enjoy. Feel free to share it. Share it non-cryptically. Adopt the mantra of each to their own, but express it with a shrug, rather than angrily and defensively.

I try and get as many targets as I can first I plan Go North East then Arriva and Stagecoach I get as many tigers done even if it takes me days weeks or months only for Go North East then after that wean I get them all I tend to go for Stagecoach and Arriva depends which ones I need to get first

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Charles41 - 21 Feb 2016

(21 Feb 2016, 1:45 am)Diamond One That journey is ok if am honest it's got lovely scenery it's not boring at all although I do find big luggs journeys Boring

I try and get as many targets as I can first I plan Go North East then Arriva and Stagecoach I get as many tigers done even if it takes me days weeks or months only for Go North East then after that wean I get them all I tend to go for Stagecoach and Arriva depends which ones I need to get first

I think we have to remember here that Big Lugs is just a young lad. His parents or guardians probably would not be happy with him travelling all over the North East unaccompanied. I was about 13 when I got into spotting as a hobby. My parents would not let me go outside of Tyne & Wear. There were no mobile phones, internet or IPads at the time. So I had to find a phone box if I was going to be late home. On my longer trips my mother used to come with me. I'd go spotting and she'd go shopping then we'd meet up for dinner.

Personally I find Big Lugs's logs quite interesting as I like to try and figure out where he has been. It's a kind a brain teaser for bus enthusiasts. I'm wondering how far he got on PCL Travel 808 the other day.

I suppose my trips are weird and wonderful as Bus Lover Mum states, saying that I only made it as far as Sunderland yesterday! I didn't see any other enthusiasts either. The highlights of my trips are when I find an interesting old vehicle at the back of some small operator's yard or when I spot a non-psv operator which I have never heard of before.

Charles

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - biglugs@yahoo.com - 21 Feb 2016

(21 Feb 2016, 11:44 am)Charles41 I think we have to remember here that Big Lugs is just a young lad. His parents or guardians probably would not be happy with him travelling all over the North East unaccompanied. I was about 13 when I got into spotting as a hobby. My parents would not let me go outside of Tyne & Wear. There were no mobile phones, internet or IPads at the time. So I had to find a phone box if I was going to be late home. On my longer trips my mother used to come with me. I'd go spotting and she'd go shopping then we'd meet up for dinner.  

Personally I find Big Lugs's logs quite interesting as I like to try and figure out where he has been. It's a kind a brain teaser for bus enthusiasts. I'm wondering how far he got on PCL Travel 808 the other day.

I suppose my trips are weird and wonderful as Bus Lover Mum states, saying that I only made it as far as Sunderland yesterday! I didn't see any other enthusiasts either. The highlights of my trips are when I find an interesting old vehicle at the back of some small operator's yard or when I spot a non-psv operator which I have never heard of before.

Charles
Id like to leave this discussion here as its always queried in any case it just starts a rage.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - BusLoverMum - 21 Feb 2016

(21 Feb 2016, 12:24 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com Id like to leave this discussion here as its always queried in any case it just starts a rage.

Aye. Just don't be afraid to be yourself.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - LeeCalder - 21 Feb 2016

On Friday, myself and two friends visited Cambridge and Milton Keynes. It was a good day on a whole, although an early start of 4am did make me slightly grouchy.

On the journey down, we had prepared some food, so we ended up having four ham sandwiches and a can of Coca-Cola at 0530! We arrived at St Ives at roughly half past eight, which meant we had plenty of time to get some photos at the Park and Ride.

We were willing to try out the guided busway from St Ives to Cambridge, so after finding out that the staff and nominee passes are not valid due to the company not operating within the local bourough, we decided to purchase a Day Rider which cost us £6.40 each. We boarded a Stagecoach in the Fens Volvo B7TL / Wright Eclipse Urban 2 which was very plush inside, better than anything I have ever seen up here. The busway is good, but needs some TLC with weeds and grass already starting to take over, the highlight though was the bus doing 40mph and the driver had his hands behind his head.

We left the bus in Central Cambridge and amongst all the bikes and students, Stagecoach ran a pretty decent service with frequent and quick links throughout the city. These links were supported by Whippet Buses (formerly Go Whippet) who operate a service along the Busway and many local links.

At roughly 1100 we decided we had enough of Cambridge, as the students and their lack of road sense was driving us insane, so we decided to head for the land of MK, also known as Milton Keynes. It's a very americanised place is Milton Keynes, with no residential areas nearby, meaning you have to travel into the town and back out again from every direction.

This means that many operators have a chance to offer a service, many of which thrive off this. Z and S coaches (who's fleet consists of more colours than the colour pallete) operate many local services in competition to Arriva's Sapphire routes 5 and 6.

The standard of bus in Milton Keynes leaves a lot to be desired, the vast majority is ex London stock but Arriva have done the best they can with what they have and their fleet does look very smart. A lot of the independents have left their vehicles in original London colours.

The journey back was a very tedious one, taking just under five hours due to a large build up of traffic on the A1, this though gave us the chance to reflect on a good day.

Lee

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 22 Feb 2016

Haven't really had a chance to get this typed up before now.

I think I have mentioned before that my job has given me the opportunity to sample all sorts of stuff around the country.
Apart from the odd bash here and there and using the bus for a purpose, I hadn't had that many of what I would call 'a proper ride out' up here in the NE for a while.

So I decided to buy a 3zone+ and hammer it to shreds.

There were no rules... Apart from the following:
* To have a ride on routes I hadn't sampled before.
* To finish off routes I hadn't completed before (either in a oner or in sections).
* To not jump on and off, travelling back and forth on different services, just to get haulage.
* To not visit the same town/interchange more than once.

The day started off well and I got some decent miles on the clock.

As the day progressed, I realised that on each of the services I used - it was a different vehicle type.

So the list of rules were added to!
* I wasn't to use the same vehicle type twice. Which was going to be difficult if I wanted to get home.

It was quite a successful day.
I got two brands ticked off.
I managed to complete three routes completely in one go.
I managed to add to two routes that I had used previously - one being completed and the other 2/3 finished as opposed to the initial 1/3.
I managed to ride (in no particular order): Citaro, B9, Streetlite, Ex-London President, Omnicity, Omnidekka, Solo SR, Solar and a B5 Hybrid.
Unfortunately, due to the cold weather and tiredness setting in, I gave up and got on my second Merc of the day and head home, rather than extend the day.

I was hoping for a Loylne, native President or Olympian when up in the Derwentside area. I didn't quite manage it though.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - BusLoverMum - 22 Feb 2016

(22 Feb 2016, 7:28 pm)Andreos1 Haven't really had a chance to get this typed up before now.

I think I have mentioned before that my job has given me the opportunity to sample all sorts of stuff around the country.
Apart from the odd bash here and there and using the bus for a purpose, I hadn't had that many of what I would call 'a proper ride out' up here in the NE for a while.

So I decided to buy a 3zone+ and hammer it to shreds.

There were no rules... Apart from the following:
* To have a ride on routes I hadn't sampled before.
* To finish off routes I hadn't completed before (either in a oner or in sections).
* To not jump on and off, travelling back and forth on different services, just to get haulage.
* To not visit the same town/interchange more than once.

The day started off well and I got some decent miles on the clock.

As the day progressed, I realised that on each of the services I used - it was a different vehicle type.

So the list of rules were added to!
* I wasn't to use the same vehicle type twice. Which was going to be difficult if I wanted to get home.

It was quite a successful day.
I got two brands ticked off.
I managed to complete three routes completely in one go.
I managed to add to two routes that I had used previously - one being completed and the other 2/3 finished as opposed to the initial 1/3.
I managed to ride (in no particular order): Citaro, B9, Streetlite, Ex-London  President, Omnicity, Omnidekka, Solo SR, Solar and a B5 Hybrid.
Unfortunately, due to the cold weather and tiredness setting in, I gave up and got on my second Merc of the day and head home, rather than extend the day.

I was hoping for a Loylne, native President or Olympian when up in the Derwentside area. I didn't quite manage it though.

We'd be stuffed with the vehicle type rule, unless we caught the local Scarlet band service as well as our usual 22, at either end of our journey. Or got lucky with a non-Streetlite 22 - and hadn't already ridden on a Pulsar. We ended up on 5 different Pulsars, the other week, when we did a tour of Arrivaland.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 22 Feb 2016

(22 Feb 2016, 7:49 pm)BusLoverMum We'd be stuffed with the vehicle type rule, unless we caught the local Scarlet band service as well as our usual 22, at either end of our journey. Or got lucky with a non-Streetlite 22 - and hadn't already ridden on a Pulsar. We ended up on 5 different Pulsars, the other week, when we did a tour of Arrivaland.

I must admit, it would have been easier if I had thought of that condition initially - rather than half way through the day.
There would have been no duplication and an extra vehicle type!

And, the day was rather more successful than I remembered.
The route I had said was now 2/3, rather than 1/3 - is actually done.
I forgot I had done the 'missing' section a few years ago.