North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - biglugs@yahoo.com - 28 Mar 2016

(28 Mar 2016, 8:15 pm)northern156 Rail rovers etc are not really expensive. Some not as expensive as, for example, an Explorer.

If you book in advance you can save

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - northern156 - 28 Mar 2016

(28 Mar 2016, 8:25 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com If you book in advance you can save

You cannot book rovers in advance

(28 Mar 2016, 8:27 pm)northern156 You cannot book rovers in advance

A rail card im suggesting

Yes you can get railcard discounts but if you're using adult tickets.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - DanPicken - 28 Mar 2016

(28 Mar 2016, 8:28 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com A rail card im suggesting
You can't get a U16 Rail card.

(28 Mar 2016, 8:33 pm)DanPicken You can't get a U16 Rail card.

I no but there is other tickets also on offer

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - DanPicken - 28 Mar 2016

(28 Mar 2016, 8:34 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com I no but there is other tickets also on offer
The only other tickets children can get is cheaper Rangers/Rovers.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - omnicity4659 - 28 Mar 2016

Plus you can probably get child ranger/rovers cheaper than adult with railcard discounts!

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 28 Mar 2016

(28 Mar 2016, 9:01 pm)GX03 SVC Plus you can probably get child ranger/rovers cheaper than adult with railcard discounts!

Like the child standard ticket I have just bought using a friends and family railcard.
£7.05 Durham - Kings Cross.

(28 Mar 2016, 9:01 pm)GX03 SVC Plus you can probably get child ranger/rovers cheaper than adult with railcard discounts!

Certainly can, a railcard discount is 33% whereas typical child discounts are around 50%!

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - BusLoverMum - 28 Mar 2016

(28 Mar 2016, 7:49 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com Think the cost puts people away from the train oftern

The expensive bus journey to even get to the train is offputting for us!

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 29 Mar 2016

I have no idea where to put this but as it is a slight review of a bus journey, I felt that this was the more appropriate thread.

I wasn't originally going to do a write up of the journey as it isn't exactly a fun but we used the Scarborough Park and Ride today and driver was accompanied by another member of staff and, as usual, he was incredibly friendly.

Originally, we brought up the topic of getting such large vehicles through the Town Centre. Especially on the approach to York Place and heading down to the Seafront on Ramshill Road. He responded to this by saying that it wasn't an ideal situation with cars being parked on the corners which I couldn't do anything but agree with.

We then mentioned the route of the old Park and Ride, the 111 from the Weaponness Car Park and how it used to be a quick circular route that simply stopped at Debenhams, went down to the Seafront or 'Aquarium Top' as it is now called officially. The employee then preceded to say that the route previously used by the 111 was going to be the original route used by the 64 and 165 but the council said no and said that they had to go around the Town Centre.

He then asked us where we were from and, as normal, we just said Durham as they are more likely to have heard of Durham than Stanley. Once we'd replied, he then started complementing the Park and Ride here saying that it is frequent and the buses are an ideal size. Again, I couldn't help but agree - anything bigger than a Solo when it isn't on a busy day such as the Big Meeing.

Next, he moved on to the methods both companies used to issue the tickets. This was another section of the Park and Ride model that he described Durham as being ideal at, mainly because you purchase all tickets before boarding the bus whereas in Scarborough, it is just the conventional pay as you board method. However, the Seamer Road and Filey Road sites previously had similar machines installed but they were removed bu the council as they weren't user friendly and didn't offer every type of ticket available.

Whitby and Plymouth Park and Rides also got a mention, mainly focusing on the fact that they use Double Deckers on there because of popularity (alright, only 33.3% [50% max] of the Whitby Park and Ride is operated by a double decker) and he then outlined why deckers are not used in Scarborough. The main reason being for keeping the service going quick without any holdups as most people will want to sit upstairs including the older generation who aren't the best at walking or climbing stairs. It is a fair point really, even if it does sound slightly discriminative but even then, the services hardly need double deckers anyway.

I just found the whole conversation interesting and gave me a much clearer view on not only how the Park and Ride is run in Scarborough but how different each individual system is depending on the council that control them.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 29 Mar 2016

(29 Mar 2016, 7:05 pm)S813 FVK Whitby and Plymouth Park and Rides also got a mention, mainly focusing on the fact that they use Double Deckers on there because of popularity (alright, only 33.3% [50% max] of the Whitby Park and Ride is operated by a double decker) and he then outlined why deckers are not used in Scarborough. The main reason being for keeping the service going quick without any holdups as most people will want to sit upstairs including the older generation who aren't the best at walking or climbing stairs. It is a fair point really, even if it does sound slightly discriminative but even then, the services hardly need double deckers anyway.

I understand what you mean about people struggling up the stairs and increasing boarding/alighting times, I got on the GNE X21 the other day and a passenger with crutches decided that he wanted to sit upstairs at a table seat and I was the next passenger to board and the whole thing caused a pile up for passengers who wanted to go and sit upstairs, especially as most of the remaining passengers boarding were young and also wanted to sit upstairs. It's not just people with difficulties though, it's the same with parents and toddlers where you get the toddler slowing making their way up and down the stairs with the parent(s) following behind.

The above doesn't just apply to seaside resorts, the situation also applies to double deckers pretty much everywhere really, I sometimes experience these scenarios on the 7.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - BusLoverMum - 29 Mar 2016

(29 Mar 2016, 7:21 pm)Jimmi I understand what you mean about people struggling up the stairs and increasing boarding/alighting times, I got on the GNE X21 the other day and a passenger with crutches decided that he wanted to sit upstairs at a table seat and I was the next passenger to board and the whole thing caused a pile up for passengers who wanted to go and sit upstairs, especially as most of the remaining passengers boarding were young and also wanted to sit upstairs. It's not just people with difficulties though, it's the same with parents and toddlers where you get the toddler slowing making their way up and down the stairs with the parent(s) following behind.

The above doesn't just apply to seaside resorts, the situation also applies to double deckers pretty much everywhere really, I sometimes experience these scenarios on the 7.

Sometimes I'm the slow person on the stairs Blush

I tend to only go upstairs when I'm getting of again at a bus station, though, unless there's absolutely no seats downstairs and so long as it's not a spiral staircase like the lolynes have. I'd be inclined to take a different bus if the staircase was too difficult for me and I coudn't ge t a seat downstairs.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 29 Mar 2016

(29 Mar 2016, 7:21 pm)Jimmi The above doesn't just apply to seaside resorts, the situation also applies to double deckers pretty much everywhere really, I sometimes experience these scenarios on the 7.

Yeah. That is kind of why I was a bit unsure as to where he was coming from when he said that as a reason why deckers were not used. I suppose, if they have no choice (ie they have a young child), holding the bus up is far better than having a toddler crying because they aren't alloeed to sit upstairs.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - biglugs@yahoo.com - 29 Mar 2016

Dont drivers have to wait till passengers reach there seats

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 29 Mar 2016

(29 Mar 2016, 7:31 pm)S813 FVK Yeah. That is kind of why I was a bit unsure as to where he was coming from when he said that as a reason why deckers were not used. I suppose, if they have no choice (ie they have a young child), holding the bus up is far better than having a toddler crying because they aren't alloeed to sit upstairs.
It's probably more of an issue down there as people would want to go upstairs for the fantastic scenery on offer, especially on the X93.

I don't really have a problem with people taking a while to get upstairs, although it is annoying if passengers behind you are getting annoyed.

It's annoying though when a passenger decides to stop in the aisle and ponder or whatever, I wanted to punch some bloke when I got on the 17A in Stockton one day, it was a Plaxton Centro so I wanted to sit at the seat where the emergency exit door is towards the back for the leg room, he boarded before me and he stopped in the aisle just where the step up is, why? Because he wanted some woman to sit on the inside seat, the woman in question was at least five passengers behind me in the queue and surely the correct thing to do in this situation is stand where the seats are so people can get past, not what he did which was just stand there like a melon with me stood in front of him and edging slightly to the left is NOT getting out the way so I ended up having to squeeze past him and those of you who have seen me out and about will probably know that I keep my camera in a sort of messenger type of bag, so I ended up smashing it into the seat, seriously with arseholes like this I'm surprised that the camera hasn't been damaged yet because that bag is getting bashed on a regular basis, think I need to swap to a rucksack, the most recent incident was on a E400 where I was boarding and someone shoved past me so they could get the front seats upstairs, dickheads!

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - TEN 6083 - 29 Mar 2016

(29 Mar 2016, 7:42 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com Dont drivers have to wait till passengers reach there seats

They are really supposed to wait especially if the passengers are elderly or disabled as well as small children, but in my experience they pull away as soon as they close the doors when I am traveling by bus, had this a few times going from Prudhoe to Newcastle or Hexham.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 06 Apr 2016

Hoping to have my first proper outing in ages either this Saturday or next (probs next) depending on what day I'm not doing anything. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what to do as I haven't been following much Arriva/Stagecoach recently so not sure what will be worth going for and have no idea what to do.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 06 Apr 2016

(06 Apr 2016, 8:19 pm)Tom Hoping to have my first proper outing in ages either this Saturday or next (probs next) depending on what day I'm not doing anything. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what to do as I haven't been following much Arriva/Stagecoach recently so not sure what will be worth going for and have no idea what to do.

I did an outing in Feb that I mentioned on here.

It involved not using the same vehicle type twice and not going to the same place twice.
Essentially a big zig zag across the region.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.