North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - NK53 TKT - 22 Jun 2016

(22 Jun 2016, 9:27 pm)Jimmi Think the easiest way for me to catch a ALX300 would be just to stand around Haymarket until one goes out, that would also cover odd allocations as I've had one on the 43 before, saw one arrive in Haymarket as the X16 a few weeks back but it didn't go back out, which is a shame as it would have been awesome getting a thrashing on that to Morpeth. Would be a dream to get one on the 85/685.

The only issue with waiting at the Haymarket is pulsar boards tend to be blocked so you may end up waiting one hour however rare workings happen often on the 43/44/45.

As for the 85/685 I think an ALX300 on there would be vile, I had one just over a year ago Hexham-Newcastle, it was the only bad one, 4516.

NEVER AGAIN Exclamation

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 22 Jun 2016

(22 Jun 2016, 9:14 pm)PO51WNF Great review. I've been meaning to do the Cotswolds Discoverer for ages now, as I live relatively locally. It is a lovely part of the country and the rolling hills of the Cotswolds are beautiful

Cheers.

The Northern tip of the zone is Stratford, so it is very accessible to reach from that part of the Midlands. 

It is a shame some of the network isn't a little more joined up in places, but what else can you ask for, for that sort of price?

A highly recommend day out.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Charles41 - 24 Jun 2016

(22 Jun 2016, 9:11 pm)Jimmi I love the ALX's which is why I was disappointed that I didn't get on one today, may have to try and ride them in the next few months. I was on 4661 from Killingworth Bus Station to North Shields Town Centre and I was sat next to the emergency exit door, I was wearing a red and navy T-shirt.

Jimmi that was some day out you had on 22 June, I'd have been shattered by the end of it! You're right about Greggs, Chicken Tikka sandwich has gone up 10 pence.

I've had hassle from Community Support Officers in the past when spotting, last time I ended up talking about local artists in Newcastle's West End!

Having a quiet weekend this week, overtime is wearing me out!

Charles

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 24 Jun 2016

(24 Jun 2016, 12:21 pm)Charles41 Jimmi that was some day out you had on 22 June, I'd have been shattered by the end of it! You're right about Greggs, Chicken Tikka sandwich has gone up 10 pence.

I've had hassle from Community Support Officers in the past when spotting, last time I ended up talking about local artists in Newcastle's West End!

Having a quiet weekend this week, overtime is wearing me out!

Charles
Yeah, it was a long one and I did feel a but sleepy at times but I was otherwise fine.

Having another North East outing tomorrow although I haven't quite decided where to head yet, may avoid Newcastle though as the Hoppings will be causing traffic chaos which I don't want.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - South Tyne Lad - 24 Jun 2016

(24 Jun 2016, 12:41 pm)Jimmi Yeah, it was a long one and I did feel a but sleepy at times but I was otherwise fine.

Having another North East outing tomorrow although I haven't quite decided where to head yet, may avoid Newcastle though as the Hoppings will be causing traffic chaos which I don't want.

I'm planning on photographing the X14 on the section that will be rerouted next month, Though its extremely rural and I don't think it has any bus stops nearby to get off/on at.
And I also forgot about the Hoppings, Though I will just have to put up with it.

I'm also going to have to leave early in the morning so I ca make it home for meeting up with my mates at 7pm which bugs me a bit as I'm more of a Wake up late/ Go to bed late person

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 24 Jun 2016

(24 Jun 2016, 3:31 pm)South Tyne Lad I'm planning on photographing the X14 on the section that will be rerouted next month, Though its extremely rural and I don't think it has any bus stops nearby to get off/on at.
And I also forgot about the Hoppings, Though I will just have to put up with it.

I'm also going to have to leave early in the morning so I ca make it home for meeting up with my mates at 7pm which bugs me a bit as I'm more of a Wake up late/ Go to bed late person

Oh nice. I can't bare sitting in traffic though, simply can't stand sitting in traffic not moving.

I am fancying heading into the Durham area to maybe bash the Lowlander's before the remaining examples bite the dust, but I don't think that it would fill in enough of the day, although I am hopeful one will be on the X24 so I can catch that to the MetroCentre then head back towards Durham.

I am the same in regards to sleep, although I often get up earlier for my outings, depending on how the day works out.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - South Tyne Lad - 24 Jun 2016

(24 Jun 2016, 3:52 pm)Jimmi Oh nice. I can't bare sitting in traffic though, simply can't stand sitting in traffic not moving.

I am fancying heading into the Durham area to maybe bash the Lowlander's before the remaining examples bite the dust, but I don't think that it would fill in enough of the day, although I am hopeful one will be on the X24 so I can catch that to the MetroCentre then head back towards Durham.

I am the same in regards to sleep, although I often get up earlier for my outings, depending on how the day works out.

When I'm in London style Traffic then that annoys me a bit, Took 1Hr 30 Mins on Route 63 from Peckham to Kings Cross once, On a journey which should've took 40 Mins. I got on the bus ( a B9 ) in Broad Daylight and alighted in Full Night Sky.

I've been to Durham too many times recently, Which is one of the reasons for going somewhere else this Weekend though a photo of one of the Lowlanders en route is one of my Requirements so I will be back there sometime in the imminent future.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - NK53 TKT - 24 Jun 2016

(24 Jun 2016, 4:13 pm)South Tyne Lad When I'm in London style Traffic then that annoys me a bit, Took 1Hr 30 Mins on Route 63 from Peckham to Kings Cross once, On a journey which should've took 40 Mins. I got on the bus ( a B9 ) in Broad Daylight and alighted in Full Night Sky.

I've been to Durham too many times recently, Which is one of the reasons for going somewhere else this Weekend though a photo of one of the Lowlanders en route is one of my Requirements so I will be back there sometime in the imminent future.

I know what you mean, the 63 is a common route for me and some of the timetabling is a bit rubbish.

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 25 Jun 2016

Is it bad that I got 3814 on the 15A from Durham to Consett then jumped straight back on it on the 15 to Durham?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 25 Jun 2016

(25 Jun 2016, 3:39 pm)Jimmi Is it bad that I got 3814 on the 15A from Durham to Consett then jumped straight back on it on the 15 to Durham?

Not at all haha - who would resist a ride on an Olympian Tongue

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 25 Jun 2016

(25 Jun 2016, 3:45 pm)S813 FVK Not at all haha - who would resist a ride on an Olympian
Trying to decide which I like more 3814 or 3831.

Driver on the Consett bound journey thrashed it!

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 12 Jul 2016

Had my first go on a purple streetlite the other day.
Was hoping for something odd, but being a fairly regular user of the service (less so of late), it was inevitable that I would end up on one eventually.

The rattles which are noticeable on earlier batches, weren't so obvious on the two I had. Although the underfloor vibrations/rattles were evident.

One of the runs was late, so I was surprised to see it being hammered with relative ease.

I didn't get to notice the mood lighting due to the heavy loads being carried in both directions, the seemingly narrow gangway emphasising the cramped nature of the vehicles.
The three windows did nothing to cool the temperature either.
I didn't check the wifi, but the plugs worked!

One thing I did notice, was a couple of stop announcements that were missing (no idea about The Granaries VS The Graneries as I forgot to check).
The stop beside Hoton Heating and underneath the A690 - Four Lane ends Durham bound and the Shields bound beside Chilton Nursery weren't announced nor did they appear on the screen. On all three occasions the following stop was announced prior to calling/passing the three stops in question.
I didn't notice any other missing announcements on the trip.

To sum up, I still dislike the model but was impressed with the turn of speed.

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 15 Jul 2016

Escaped from Blackpool one day for a outing in the Lakes, here's what went down...

0816 16 Marton Mere Leisure Park - Blackpool, Corporation Street (Blackpool Transport 252)
First bus of the day was this rather canny Solo, this service ran via Staining, Victoria Hospital, Blackpool Zoo and past Stanley Park. One thing that amuses me with Blackpool Transport is some of their fleet still have roller destination equipment, it's quite amusing seeing the driver having to wind the front and side destination blinds to set the destinations. Arrived in Blackpool Town Centre after a rather relaxed journey.

0930 42 Blackpool, Abingdon Street - Lancaster Bus Station (Stagecoach 16793)
After seeing Volvo Olympian 16634 on this service on Saturday, I was hopeful that I could get it on my 42 for this outing, I may not have got this example but thankfully I was gifted with Volvo Olympian 16793 which made me very happy. I took my place at the front upstairs on the drivers side which meant I could soak up the views and the views were quite nice on this route, I'd recommend this route although the clock is ticking for getting a Olympian on this route. The bus performed pretty well on this route.

1125 555 Lancaster Bus Station - Kendal Bus Station (Stagecoach 10560)
Took a few photos in Lancaster whilst waiting for my 555, there was a departure at 11:15 which runs the long way round to Kendal but I decided to opt for the 11:25 journey which runs direct via the M6 which meant I could arrive in Kendal 30 minutes earlier, allowing time for lunch and a few photos. With this being a summer only journey I did fear that I'd get an old Enviro 400 but thankfully I landed one of the new "The Lakes Connection" liveried Enviro 400MMC's which pleased me as I could see how it performed on the M6, pleased to say it performed pretty well, was pretty smooth. The interior is very nice and inviting, the seats are fantastic. USB ports worked well but sadly the WiFi didn't work at all. Arrived at Kendal Bus Station and snapped the E400 I got off with a lad and a lass taking the front seats which I previously occupied, they decided to pose for the camera, annoyingly two cyclists seemed to go out of their way to screw up my shot which angered me.

1240 555 Kendal Bus Station - Windermere Rail Station (Stagecoach 10558)
Another new E400MMC, which had caught up with me having let it go in Lancaster on the 11:15 departure. I sat towards the back, noticed a few gents sat in the seats in front of me who seemed to be looking at the bus with intrest, this plus some of the stuff I overhead made me come to the conclusion that these worked for Stagecoach in some way. WiFi did work on this one but obviously with the nature of the route, there wasn't much signal. The USB ports were under the backs of the seats which is a pretty strange place and some people's leads may be a bit of a stretch. Me and the suits got off at Windermere Rail Station who were hovering around looking at the buses.

1334 599 Windermere Rail Station -Grasmere (Stagecoach 17277)
Next up, some open top action! ALX400 bodied Trident 17277 was my chariot to Grasmere. Was nice having the wind flowing through my hair, for added fun I decided to come up with a game to play where I had to try and snap the buses coming in the opposite direction, some mixed results were captured, should explain the camera and my arms were not over the edge whilst the bus was in motion. In typical fashion being the lake's, it was a scorcher when we left Windermere but not long afterwards the clouds started to become dark, this of course resulted in a shower, most people who were in the open top section moved under the roof at this point but me, two older people and a dad with a daughter braved the weather, it actually wasn't too bad thankfully. Arrived in Grasmere just in time to catch the 555 which surprised me as when I made my plan I had noted down the bus arrived 15 minutes later than the time we actually arrived, as such this put me forward 30 minutes.

1417 555 Grasmere - Keswick Bus Station (Stagecoach 10027)
Older Enviro 400 10027 was the steed for this journey, was pretty busy on-board but fortunately I managed to get a seat upstairs to myself. The scenery started to get more breathtaking on this leg of the day out, all you could hear on this journey was the shutters on people's cameras who were taking photos on the bus, over the day I took a few on my camera and phone. This didn't seem the fastest on the hills it has to be said.

1455 78 Keswick Bus Station - Seatoller (Stagecoach 17489)
Made it in Keswick just in time to catch this although was helped by the fact it departed late. This was another open topper and if you thought my behaviour on the last open top bus was disgraceful then you'll be disgusted to hear that I sat under the roof at the front of the bus, my reasoning for this was although the sun had come back out, the seats were still wet from the earlier shower and as such I didn't want a wet backside. Another route with some cracking scenery although the roads on this route weren't very wide, this resulted in some cautious driving on this journey. One annoying thing on this journey was one of the grab rails shaking like mad making an irritating noise. Arrived in Seatoller and got some photos of 17489 although the camera was not liking the screen with the destination coming out dim in all my photos. I let 17489 head off into the distance and intended on catching the 77 back to Keswick but retracted this plan when I saw a Solo SR turn up with standees on-board, instead I got some photos, one of them being pretty scenic.

1554 78 Seatoller - Keswick Bus Station (Stagecoach 17490)
Having rejected the Solo SR on the 77 I got on this, as the sun was still shining and the seats had dried out, I sat at the back upstairs on this open topper and this driver was slightly less cautious than the driving on the previous journey, think this plus the slippery seats meant I was all over the place on this journey, was actually jolly good fun, if ever so slightly terrifying at the same time, haha. About halfway through the journey I had some elderly party poopers join me at the back, don't know about the rest of you's but I find people discussing what they have shares in to be a bit of a buzz kill. Arrived back in Keswick just in time to get a taste of home with Wright Bros service 888 loading for the long journey back to Newcastle.

1700 555 Keswick Bus Station - Lanchester Bus Station (Stagecoach 10031)
Another Enviro 400 now, this would provide me with the long journey back to Lancaster, I occupied the seats at the front upstairs on the drivers side. Although these have the standard Stagecoach spec seats, they provided me with a decent standard of comfort which on this long journey was a good thing. This one performed pretty well despite the reasonably busy loadings. Got to take in the views once again on this journey. This journey once again went 'fast' from Kendal to Lanchester via the M6, may do the Lancaster - Kendal stretch another day.

1947 Lancaster Rail Station - Preston Rail Station (Virgin Trains: 390107)
First time on a Virgin Pendolino with this example carrying a allover advert for the film Independence Day. Although these have the seats as CrossCountry's rancid Voyagers I quite liked my journey on this, seemed very smooth and felt nice inside. I could have had my first time on a First TransPennine Express Class 350 but let it go, perhaps another day.

2019 Preston Rail Station - Blackpool North Rail Station (Northern: 150215)
150215 was my last journey on public transport today, I couldn't make up my mind on whether I liked this or not. Some woman kept asking people including myself if Kirkham was the next station, unfortunately when she asked me, I had no idea but the announcement for Kirkham Station came up not long after. Arrived back into Blackpool just after 20:45 and was given a lift back to camp.

This was my first trip to the Lakes and it won't be the last, thinking of doing another trip sometime in August where I may try to do more North and either East or West of Keswick travelling from the North East via Carlisle. If anyone has any suggestions for this outing, either reply below or send me a PM to maybe save some space.

Hope you enjoyed reading this, be sure to look out for photos from my holiday on my Flickr account. Enjoy your weekend.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - South Tyne Lad - 15 Jul 2016

Brilliant Review Jimmi!

My outing for tomorrow is undecided yet, Either North Northumberland ( Alnwick Northwards ) or Berwick and the Scottish Borders.  
Though I may of course change my mind at the last minute.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - citaro5284 - 15 Jul 2016

(15 Jul 2016, 9:23 pm)South Tyne Lad Brilliant Review Jimmi!

My outing for tomorrow is undecided yet, Either North Northumberland ( Alnwick Northwards ) or Berwick and the Scottish Borders.  

oh.....not been a bad boy this weekend then  Tongue

(15 Jul 2016, 9:27 pm)citaro5284 oh.....not been a bad boy this weekend then  Tongue

Nope haha Big Grin

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 15 Jul 2016

(15 Jul 2016, 9:23 pm)South Tyne Lad Brilliant Review Jimmi!

Thanks. Thought about doing a review for yesterday's trip round the Flyde Coast but after how long it took to type that one, I don't think I have it in me to do another Big Grin

No plan for an outing tomorrow although I dare bet I still end up heading out in the afternoon though, won't be in the morning as I intend on staying in bed until I wake from my slumber after being up by 8am most days this week. Will have an outing on Sunday which I will incorporate with the Whitley Bay Rally where I will arrive at around 12pm.

(15 Jul 2016, 9:43 pm)Jimmi Thanks. Thought about doing a review for yesterday's trip round the Flyde Coast but after how long it took to type that one, I don't think I have it in me to do another Big Grin

No plan for an outing tomorrow although I dare bet I still end up heading out in the afternoon though, won't be in the morning as I intend on staying in bed until I wake from my slumber after being up by 8am most days this week. Will have an outing on Sunday which I will incorporate with the Whitley Bay Rally where I will arrive at around 12pm.

I stopped doing them ages ago, They take too much time to write!

Outing for tomorrow is changed somewhat significantly, Off to Teeside to track down any Stagecoach Tridents, As this is one of there final weeks around.
GNE Olympians is another thing I want to do, And I need to be extremely quick if I want to do it as there replacements will be entering service in the imminent future.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 15 Jul 2016

(15 Jul 2016, 11:08 pm)South Tyne Lad I stopped doing them ages ago, They take too much time to write!

Outing for tomorrow is changed somewhat significantly, Off to Teeside to track down any Stagecoach Tridents, As this is one of there final weeks around.
GNE Olympians is another thing I want to do, And I need to be extremely quick if I want to do it as there replacements will be entering service in the imminent future.

Yeah, they can be pretty time consuming, even worse in my case as I can't seem to focus on what I type and I struggle to focus on what I'm reading, my mind just goes off completely at times, not entirely sure on what this is down to (possibly some learning disability?) all I do know is trying to make sure what I type makes sense, means I can be on for hours at times, that review took around 2 and a half hours although I did have tea part way through plus having a few breaks in-between. I really need to stop doing them for these reasons or either: cut the length of the reviews down or just do them occasionally for trips like the one I made on Wednesday. When making these reviews, I do wonder how many people actually read the reviews and if they read the whole review or not which makes me question whether it's worth my time or not.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 16 Jul 2016

(15 Jul 2016, 11:25 pm)Jimmi Yeah, they can be pretty time consuming, even worse in my case as I can't seem to focus on what I type and I struggle to focus on what I'm reading, my mind just goes off completely at times, not entirely sure on what this is down to (possibly some learning disability?) all I do know is trying to make sure what I type makes sense, means I can be on for hours at times, that review took around 2 and a half hours although I did have tea part way through plus having a few breaks in-between. I really need to stop doing them for these reasons or either: cut the length of the reviews down or just do them occasionally for trips like the one I made on Wednesday. When making these reviews, I do wonder how many people actually read the reviews and if they read the whole review or not which makes me question whether it's worth my time or not.

I always like reading peoples reviews but no one seems to do them often which is a shame. They do take forever I guess especially if you're on a phone typing them up.

I'll probably do a couple when I go out on outings in the summer holidays, haven't been on a bus outing since May so got loads to catch up on. Still haven't even been on a Prince Bishops streetlite yet!