North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - PO51WNF - 10 Aug 2016

Monday's trip report:

NX 6111 - 05:13 9 to Birmingham

VT 390044 - 06:15 to Lancaster - love these trains

TPE 350404 - 08:14 to Penrith - got harrassed by a cranefly

(this is where STL joined)

Stagecoach 34715 - 09:20 508 to Windermere - what an amazing route! The Kirkstone Pass was without doubt the highlight which the relatively decent Dart struggled up in first/second gear, but the view from the top was amazing. The short journeys to Patterdale were also being operated by a Dart, despite the timetable implying they would be ran with an open top bus.

Stagecoach 17014 - 11:34 599 to Grasmere - after a photo stop outside Windermere station (does not count as a bus station ) we caught this open top Trident to Grasmere, and what a beast it was! We started the journey upstairs but decided to move downstairs to avoid getting hypothermia (despite being August it was freezing).

Stagecoach 10563 - 12:15 555 to Keswick - the connection here was a little tighter than intended, but with a bit of running we made it. My first time on a Voith E400MMC, and I love them! Impressive performance and the engine sounds amazing. Even better the USB chargers work...for now. I did not attempt to use the wi-fi.

Stagecoach 16534 - 13:20 78 to Seatoller - shortly after arriving in Keswick we noticed this antique motor pull in on the 78, so after a quick stop at the Old Keswickian to get lunch we caught it to the scenic Seatoller terminus. A familiar route for me but a new one for STL, and we both were impressed at the performance of the Olympian which was built before either of us was born.

Stagecoach 47722 - 14:00 77A to Keswick - well since I last caught it 3 tears ago this Solo's performance has certainly gone downhill, meaning it struggles to go uphill - which we discovered while climbing the stunning Honister Pass. MPD W214DNO can still be found at the Slate Mine. The 77A is another familiar route for me but one STL said he wanted to do, although by this point he was so tired he fell asleep and missed half of the route

Stagecoach 10555 - 15:30 555 to Grasmere - after arriving back in Keswick we decided we wanted to ride another couple of the new MMCs so caught the appropriately numbered 10555 to the pretty village of Grasmere. This one sounded different to the previous one - particularly when coasting/braking, had a great sounding whine.

Stagecoach 10561 - 16:15 555 to Keswick - back to Keswick on another great bus!

Stagecoach 15921 - 17:20 X4 to Penrith - just our luck to get this, a Scania E400 branded for the 300! Which, although it was "gold" like the buses that are supposed to be on the X4/X5, did not have the USB charging points found on the regular buses - not that this mattered, although STL wanted to use the chargers just for the sake of it. I also am generally not a fan of Scania buses, but this one was not too bad, seemed to have a working kickdown and the driver knew how to drive it!

When we got to Penrith we discovered there were delays on the WCML due to "animals on the line" - baaaaaad timing or just a cow-incidence? We therefore both had a considerable wait before catching our respective trains.

VT 390152 - 18:07 to Lancaster - running over 30 mins late.

VT 221112 - 19:47 to Birmingham New Street - this one follows me around...but it's a Voyager so that can't be too bad.

NX 6108 - 22:15 9 home - amazing bus! 6 speed ZF but revving above 2000rpm with full throttle.

All in all a fantastic day out in one of my favourite parts of the country.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - NK53 TKT - 10 Aug 2016

(10 Aug 2016, 8:10 am)PO51WNF Monday's trip report:

NX 6111 - 05:13 9 to Birmingham

VT 390044 - 06:15 to Lancaster - love these trains

TPE 350404 - 08:14 to Penrith - got harrassed by a cranefly

(this is where STL joined)

Stagecoach 34715 - 09:20 508 to Windermere - what an amazing route! The Kirkstone Pass was without doubt the highlight which the relatively decent Dart struggled up in first/second gear, but the view from the top was amazing. The short journeys to Patterdale were also being operated by a Dart, despite the timetable implying they would be ran with an open top bus.

Stagecoach 17014 - 11:34 599 to Grasmere - after a photo stop outside Windermere station (does not count as a bus station ) we caught this open top Trident to Grasmere, and what a beast it was! We started the journey upstairs but decided to move downstairs to avoid getting hypothermia (despite being August it was freezing).

Stagecoach 10563 - 12:15 555 to Keswick - the connection here was a little tighter than intended, but with a bit of running we made it. My first time on a Voith E400MMC, and I love them! Impressive performance and the engine sounds amazing. Even better the USB chargers work...for now. I did not attempt to use the wi-fi.

Stagecoach 16534 - 13:20 78 to Seatoller - shortly after arriving in Keswick we noticed this antique motor pull in on the 78, so after a quick stop at the Old Keswickian to get lunch we caught it to the scenic Seatoller terminus. A familiar route for me but a new one for STL, and we both were impressed at the performance of the Olympian which was built before either of us was born.

Stagecoach 47722 - 14:00 77A to Keswick - well since I last caught it 3 tears ago this Solo's performance has certainly gone downhill, meaning it struggles to go uphill - which we discovered while climbing the stunning Honister Pass. MPD W214DNO can still be found at the Slate Mine. The 77A is another familiar route for me but one STL said he wanted to do, although by this point he was so tired he fell asleep and missed half of the route

Stagecoach 10555 - 15:30 555 to Grasmere - after arriving back in Keswick we decided we wanted to ride another couple of the new MMCs so caught the appropriately numbered 10555 to the pretty village of Grasmere. This one sounded different to the previous one - particularly when coasting/braking, had a great sounding whine.

Stagecoach 10561 - 16:15 555 to Keswick - back to Keswick on another great bus!

Stagecoach 15921 - 17:20 X4 to Penrith - just our luck to get this, a Scania E400 branded for the 300! Which, although it was "gold" like the buses that are supposed to be on the X4/X5, did not have the USB charging points found on the regular buses - not that this mattered, although STL wanted to use the chargers just for the sake of it. I also am generally not a fan of Scania buses, but this one was not too bad, seemed to have a working kickdown and the driver knew how to drive it!

When we got to Penrith we discovered there were delays on the WCML due to "animals on the line" - baaaaaad timing or just a cow-incidence? We therefore both had a considerable wait before catching our respective trains.

VT 390152 - 18:07 to Lancaster - running over 30 mins late.

VT 221112 - 19:47 to Birmingham New Street - this one follows me around...but it's a Voyager so that can't be too bad.

NX 6108 - 22:15 9 home - amazing bus! 6 speed ZF but revving above 2000rpm with full throttle.

All in all a fantastic day out in one of my favourite parts of the country.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
Great review and sounds like it was a great (but very long) day out, I am going to try one of the 555 MMCs later in the month

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 10 Aug 2016

(10 Aug 2016, 8:10 am)PO51WNF Stagecoach 17014 - 11:34 599 to Grasmere - after a photo stop outside Windermere station (does not count as a bus station ) we caught this open top Trident to Grasmere, and what a beast it was! We started the journey upstairs but decided to move downstairs to avoid getting hypothermia (despite being August it was freezing).

Wimps! It started raining when I did that route the other week and I remained in the open top part of the bus for that journey despite getting a little wet.

Peed you's got the Olympian on the 78, I got a crappy ex London Trident with a very loud shaking grabrail. Think it's been on the 508 a lot recently.

I'd like to do the Lakes again in the next few weeks but travelling from where I live is a pain, getting to/from Newcastle early enough is a challenge.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - South Tyne Lad - 10 Aug 2016

Another photo from this outing, This time of E400MMC 10555 https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/28279643094/in/datetaken/

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - South Tyne Lad - 13 Aug 2016

Had another trip to Cumbria today, This time in the car with my family.
Still had time to show my Dad the Honister Pass while my Mam was having a look around Keswick Big Grin

While I apologise for all this Flickr Spam, I will leave you with one last photo. One that Is probably the best ive ever taken.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/28340961484/in/dateposted-public/

Do have another photo of Honister's Resident Dart in Action but that will be up another day.

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 17 Aug 2016

Had another outing in the Lakes today, here's how it played out...

0640 7 Newton Aycliffe, Blue Bridge - Durham Bus Station (ANE 7537)
Different starting place than usual and much earlier than normal. Not the best start, arrived about 6 minutes late and was over 10 minutes late arriving into Durham but fortunately I had a fair bit of time before catching my connecting train...

0758 Durham Rail Station - Newcastle Central Station (Northern 142087)
The trend of late running continued here, as it arrived 15 minutes late owing to signal failure at Thornaby (this journey originated from Saltburn) so this made my quick walk a little pointless. Of course the late arrival meant more passengers, think just about every seat was taken upon departure from Durham and there was people standing all the way down the carriage upon departure from Chester-le-Street. Arrived at Central Station where I then alighted the train, only to pretty much immediately re-board it...

0824 Central Station - Carlisle (Northern 142087)
As I correctly predicted, the 08:24 departure to Carlisle did my previous run. Due to this having a bit of a layover before departure, it departed Newcastle on-time. This Pacer wasn't too bad actually and I managed to find a reasonably comfortable seat. Some good views on this line, I would recommend getting the train, better than spending 2+ hours on the 685 although that route does have it's charm, it is long though. Arrived into Carlisle Rail Station to discover it is pretty much a construction site at the moment. Headed round getting a few photos but something made me abandon my original plan...

1048 600 Carlisle - Cockermouth, Main Street (Stagecoach 16661)
Yep, I found a Volvo Olympian! Each ride on one of these could be my last (in passenger service at least) so I have to take every chance I get. I think this has to be the best Volvo Olympian I have ever been on, driver absolutely thrashed it on the A roads to Cockermouth, it went like a rocket and despite being pushed to the limit, there was very little rattles, for these reasons I will be sad to these exiled to the history books. This bus additionally had seatbelts. Although I don't regret opting for this, it would have been intresting to ride the coach that was operating the 554 I originally intended getting to Keswick.

1142 X5? Cockermouth - Keswick Bus Station (Stagecoach 28747)
Fortunately 16661 pulled in behind this in Cockermouth enabling a swift change, it also enabled me to get my first taste of Stagecoach Gold, I didn't see much because I sat in the seat behind the drivers cab which was surprisingly well padded. Disappointingly the WiFi didn't work. Arrived in Keswick at around 12:15, not long after my originally intended 554.

1238 77 Keswick - Chapelfield Cottage (Stagecoach 47921)
Someone from Stagecoach was issuing tickets to passengers whilst they waited at the bus stop for the 77 to arrive. 8 minutes late, we got Optare Solo SR 47921 for this journey. Quite a intresting little route this was with some tight roads and some cracking scenery. Not the best bus it has to be said, was a bit shaky. As we got to Seatoller I looked to see if there was a open top ALX400 on the 78 coming but there was no sign... Until we set off, I decided to alight the 77 at the next stop as I was a bit sick of being on that Solo.

1355 78 Chapelfield Cottage - Keswick (Stagecoach 17490)
Sat at the back upstairs and took in the air, which was nice and refreshing after over an hour on that Solo SR. Nice route with decent scenery and twisty roads.

1430 206 Keswick - Patterdale Hotel (Stagecoach 47722)
Old style Solo for this journey, nowt fantastic but it was pretty decent to ride on ride on, apart from the advert that had partially peeled off and was flapping around. Pretty quiet run, only a few passengers for the whole journey. Canny route for scenery as well. Alighted at Patterdale Hotel to wait for my next bus, but would it be the one I wanted?

1524 508 Patterdale Hotel - Penrith Bus Station (Stagecoach 17217)
...Nope! I wanted open top Volvo Olympian P534EFL (16534) but instead got a open top ALX400 instead. Me, a few others and a family boarded at Patterdale, not long after boarding the mother moved the family out of the open top section of the bus for fear of being hit by the branches, killjoy! At this point another family with young kids boarded and sat in the open top section and they had a blast, they were grabbing branches ducking from the branches and having a good time, as was I, sorry to the children who had to sit under the roof, it's not the same! Cracking route with some great scenery on offer, I'd highly recommend but only the runs that terminate at Patterdale Hotel use open top buses in high season only, the other journeys which continue to Windermere use Dart's.

1631 104 Penrith Bus Station - Carlisle, English Street (Stagecoach 22889)
Thought I was getting a ALX400 but disappointingly I got a E300, even more annoying when I saw a Volvo Olympian going the other way during this journey. Not a bad route this one to be honest.

1728 Carlisle - Newcastle Central Station (Northern 156443)
Went to get sausage and chips on the way to catching my train home but I dropped my sausage which really annoyed me, especially as it happened the last time I came to Carlisle as well! Not much to say about this journey as was rather tired by this point.

1935 Newcastle - Durham (CrossCountry)
Didn't catch the number of this. This was operating with two Voyagers but only used the Voyager at the rear, this was a bit of a prat about waiting and getting on this with the front being not in passenger use and at 19:30 we still had no clue what was going on until we got an announcement and staff going round advising us to head to the rear, had to guess which coach was which and such as the screens were saying "out of service" so I just sat anywhere.

2015 7 Durham Bus Station - Newton Aycliffe, Big Club W.M.C. (ANE 1513)
Standard 7 journey really, nothing to really add here.

Hope you enjoyed this review, I enjoyed this outing and will certainly be returning to the Lakes again at some point.

If you want a Volvo Olympian, I suggest heading over to Carlisle during these holidays as there was two out on the 600 today with me getting the beast that is 16661 and another one was on the 104 this afternoon.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Rapidsnap - 17 Aug 2016

(17 Aug 2016, 10:29 pm)Jimmi 1728 Carlisle - Newcastle Central Station (Northern 156443)

Nice to see my favourite 156 still plodding on around the area.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 17 Aug 2016

(17 Aug 2016, 10:29 pm)Jimmi Had another outing in the Lakes today, here's how it played out...

0640 7 Newton Aycliffe, Blue Bridge - Durham Bus Station (ANE 7537)
Different starting place than usual and much earlier than normal. Not the best start, arrived about 6 minutes and was over 10 minutes late arriving into Durham but fortunately I had a fair bit of time before catching my connecting train...

0758 Durham Rail Station - Newcastle Central Station (Northern 142087)
The trend of late running continued here, as it arrived 15 minutes late owing to signal failure at Thornaby (this journey originated from Saltburn) so this made my quick walk a little pointless. Of course the late arrival meant more passengers, think just about every seat was taken upon departure from Durham and there was people standing all the way down the carriage upon departure from Chester-le-Street. Arrived at Central Station where I then alighted the train, only to pretty much immediately re-board it...

0824 Central Station - Carlisle (Northern 142087)
As I correctly predicted, the 08:24 departure to Carlisle did my previous run. Due to this having a bit of a layover before departure, it departed Newcastle on-time. This Pacer wasn't too bad actually and I managed to find a reasonably comfortable seat. Some good views on this line, I would recommend getting the train, better than spending 2+ hours on the 685 although that route does have it's charm, it is long though. Arrived into Carlisle Rail Station to discover it is pretty much a construction site at the moment. Headed round getting a few photos but something made me abandon my original plan...

1048 600 Carlisle - Cockermouth, Main Street (Stagecoach 16661)
Yep, I found a Volvo Olympian! Each ride on one of these could be my last (in passenger service at least) so I have to take every chance I get. I think this has to be the best Volvo Olympian I have ever been on, driver absolutely thrashed it on the A roads to Cockermouth, it went like a rocket and despite being pushed to the limit, there was very little rattles, for these reasons I will be sad to these exiled to the history books. This bus additionally had seatbelts. Although I don't regret opting for this, it would have been intresting to ride the coach that was operating the 554 I originally intended getting to Keswick.

1142 X5? Cockermouth - Keswick Bus Station (Stagecoach 28747)
Fortunately 16661 pulled in behind this in Cockermouth enabling a swift change, it also enabled me to get my first taste of Stagecoach Gold, I didn't see much because I sat in the seat behind the drivers cab which was surprisingly well padded. Disappointingly the WiFi didn't work. Arrived in Keswick at around 12:15, not long after my originally intended 554.

1238 77 Keswick - Chapelfield Cottage (Stagecoach 47921)
Someone from Stagecoach was issuing tickets to passengers whilst they waited at the bus stop for the 77 to arrive. 8 minutes late, we got Optare Solo SR 47921 for this journey. Quite a intresting little route this was with some tight roads and some cracking scenery. Not the best bus it has to be said, was a bit shaky. As we got to Seatoller I looked to see if there was a open top ALX400 on the 78 coming but there was no sign... Until we set off, I decided to alight the 77 at the next stop as I was a bit sick of being on that Solo.

1355 78 Chapelfield Cottage - Keswick (Stagecoach 17490)
Sat at the back upstairs and took in the air, which was nice and refreshing after over an hour on that Solo SR. Nice route with decent scenery and twisty roads.

1430 206 Keswick - Patterdale Hotel (Stagecoach 47722)
Old style Solo for this journey, nowt fantastic but it was pretty decent to ride on ride on, apart from the advert that had partially peeled off and was flapping around. Pretty quiet run, only a few passengers for the whole journey. Canny route for scenery as well. Alighted at Patterdale Hotel to wait for my next bus, but would it be the one I wanted?

1524 508 Patterdale Hotel - Penrith Bus Station (Stagecoach 17217)
...Nope! I wanted open top Volvo Olympian P534EFL (16534) but instead got a open top ALX400 instead. Me, a few others and a family boarded at Patterdale, not long after boarding the mother moved the family out of the open top section of the bus for fear of being hit by the branches, killjoy! At this point another family with young kids boarded and sat in the open top section and they had a blast, they were grabbing branches ducking from the branches and having a good time, as was I, sorry to the children who had to sit under the roof, it's not the same! Cracking route with some great scenery on offer, I'd highly recommend but only the runs that terminate at Patterdale Hotel use open top buses in high season only, the other journeys which continue to Windermere use Dart's.

1631 104 Penrith Bus Station - Carlisle, English Street (Stagecoach 22889)
Thought I was getting a ALX400 but disappointingly I got a E300, even more annoying when I saw a Volvo Olympian going the other way during this journey. Not a bad route this one to be honest.

1728 Carlisle - Newcastle Central Station (Northern 156443)
Went to get sausage and chips on the way to catching my train home but I dropped my sausage which really annoyed me, especially as it happened the last time I came to Carlisle as well! Not much to say about this journey as was rather tired by this point.

1935 Newcastle - Durham (CrossCountry)
Didn't catch the number of this. This was operating with two Voyagers but only used the Voyager at the rear, this was a bit of a prat about waiting and getting on this with the front being not in passenger use and at 19:30 we still had no clue what was going on until we got an announcement and staff going round advising us to head to the rear, had to guess which coach was which and such as the screens were saying "out of service" so I just sat anywhere.

2015 7 Durham Bus Station - Newton Aycliffe, Big Club W.M.C. (ANE 1513)
Standard 7 journey really, nothing to really add here.

Hope you enjoyed this review,  I enjoyed this outing and will certainly be returning to the Lakes again at some point.

If you want a Volvo Olympian, I suggest heading over to Carlisle during these holidays as there was two out on the 600 today with me getting the beast that is 16661 and another one was on the 104 this afternoon.

Good review Jimmi, the B10M coaches are absolute beasts though! I didn't even realise they were still going

Think I may do a similar plan to yours as I'm struggling to find any other way to do the 508 with a open top that doesn't involve a hour wait. Though will leave the 77/78 as I've done them before.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 17 Aug 2016

(17 Aug 2016, 10:42 pm)GMitchelhill Nice to see my favourite 156 still plodding on around the area.
One thing to note, is it now has electronic destination screens plus screens inside.

(17 Aug 2016, 10:43 pm)Tom Good review Jimmi, the B10M coaches are absolute beasts though! I didn't even realise they were still going

Think I may do a similar plan to yours as I'm struggling to find any other way to do the 508 with a open top that doesn't involve a hour wait. Though will leave the 77/78 as I've done them before.

Me neither, I shocked when I saw it coming in the opposite direction as I was leaving Carlisle on the 600. S797KRM (52627) was the example in question. Managed to get a photo of it at Keswick blinded up for the X4 to Cockermouth (not convinced it was actually on that as there was nobody on it, although the X5 left not long before it). It should hopefully get uploaded tomorrow along with a few other photos, only worry with the photo of 52627 is that I took it through the window of the Gold E300 I was on as I arrived in Keswick, looks alright on the camera though.

Yeah, this was pretty much the only way I could do an open top 508 without incurring an hours wait somewhere. Plan worked out pretty well today I feel.

(17 Aug 2016, 10:53 pm)Jimmi One thing to note, is it now has electronic destination screens plus screens inside.

Me neither, I shocked when I saw it coming in the opposite direction as I was leaving Carlisle on the 600. S797KRM (52627) was the example in question. Managed to get a photo of it at Keswick blinded up for the X4 to Cockermouth (not convinced it was actually on that as there was nobody on it, although the X5 left not long before it). It should hopefully get uploaded tomorrow along with a few other photos, only worry with the photo of 52627 is that I took it through the window of the Gold E300 I was on as I arrived in Keswick, looks alright on the camera though.

Yeah, this was pretty much the only way I could do an open top 508 without incurring an hours wait somewhere. Plan worked out pretty well today I feel.

Yeah and you got 16661 on the 600 so makes up for missing P534EFL on the 508. And the open top tridents aren't to bad anyway

And if it's the same as last year it would have been on the X4 as its a Lillyhall run and it does a short X4.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - South Tyne Lad - 17 Aug 2016

(17 Aug 2016, 11:15 pm)Tom Yeah and you got 16661 on the 600 so makes up for missing P534EFL on the 508. And the open top tridents aren't to bad anyway

I had P534EFL when I was there, A absolutely brilliant vehicle. Weirdly I managed to come across another one from the same batch in Scarborough a few days later with Shorline Suncruisers.

Its also meant to be going into Preservation 5 weeks after I was there, So its 4 weeks now.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 17 Aug 2016

(17 Aug 2016, 11:15 pm)Tom Yeah and you got 16661 on the 600 so makes up for missing P534EFL on the 508. And the open top tridents aren't to bad anyway

And if it's the same as last year it would have been on the X4 as its a Lillyhall run and it does a short X4.
Just looked at the X4/X5 timetable and it did actually do the X4 between Keswick and Cockermouth.

There was a ALX400 on the 555 today as well.

(17 Aug 2016, 11:19 pm)South Tyne Lad I had P534EFL when I was there, A absolutely brilliant vehicle. Weirdly I managed to come across another one from the same batch in Scarborough a few days later with Shorline Suncruisers.

Its also meant to be going into Preservation 5 weeks after I was there, So its 4 weeks now.

Yeah it is was on it last year. For a bus of its age the speed of it is fantastic. 

Great to see it's going into preservation is that with the Carlisle bus group like?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - South Tyne Lad - 17 Aug 2016

(17 Aug 2016, 11:25 pm)Tom Yeah it is was on it last year. For a bus of its age the speed of it is fantastic. 

Great to see it's going into preservation is that with the Carlisle bus group like?

Haven't got a clue where its going to, Just got told it should be going into preservation 5 weeks after I was there.

I don't think it was new to Cumbria though so it could head back to where it came from, But if it stays in Cumbria then id say Workington or Carlisle Bus Group.

(17 Aug 2016, 11:31 pm)South Tyne Lad Haven't got a clue where its going to, Just got told it should be going into preservation 5 weeks after I was there.

I don't think it was new to Cumbria though so it could head back to where it came from, But if it stays in Cumbria then id say Workington or Carlisle Bus Group.

Ah well hopefully it will be with the Carlisle Bus Group then as they are often at our rallies. If not that one then hopefully another one. Think a school runner B10M is being preserved by them too.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - northern156 - 21 Aug 2016

(17 Aug 2016, 11:45 pm)Tom Ah well hopefully it will be with the Carlisle Bus Group then as they are often at our rallies. If not that one then hopefully another one. Think a school runner B10M is being preserved by them too.

BIB: Not true unfortunately.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 21 Aug 2016

(21 Aug 2016, 9:37 am)northern156 BIB: Not true unfortunately.

Ah right I'm sure I heard that is another one being preserved then?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - northern156 - 21 Aug 2016

(21 Aug 2016, 9:38 am)Tom Ah right I'm sure I heard that is another one being preserved then?

Was rumoured to be the Carlisle Bus Group at one stage but, as far as I know, not true.
Hopefully some PS's will get preserved. They deserve to!

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 21 Aug 2016

(21 Aug 2016, 9:40 am)northern156 Was rumoured to be the Carlisle Bus Group at one stage but, as far as I know, not true.
Hopefully some PS's will get preserved. They deserve to!

Yeah hopefully! The K and M reg ones are the best

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 21 Aug 2016

Brief account of yesterday's outing:

1100 5A Newton Aycliffe, Shafto House - Darlington Town Centre (ANE 1509)
1135 X66 Stockton (ANE 4644)
1232 S1 Teesside Park (ANE 1492)
1310 S2 Middlesbrough (ANE 4701)
1335 5A Guisborough Sto(ANE 1557)
1429 758 Loftus Market Place (Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council: KX15BMO)
1512 X4 Whitby Bus Station (ANE 1573)
1658 X93 Middlesbrough (ANE 7402?)
1825 X66 North Road Morrisons (ANE 4651)
1919 7 Newton Aycliffe (ANE 1513)

Kinda set off with no plan but had some ideas as to where to go, decided to head to Teesside and Whitby so I could photograph the recently MAX branded Volvo B7TL's for summer X93's.

First I had 1509 to Darlington, the next stop announcement screen has been showing a generic Sapphire screen for months but is now showing a generic MAX screen?! Lord knows what's going on here.

Next was 4644 which is a Omnicity that started life on Meresyside, not the biggest fan of this example as I feel it's pretty slow. Upon arrival in Stockton I noticed one of the handrails wasn't totally secure which is a worry....

Next a trip to Teesside Park with 1492 providing me with haulage to Teesside Park with a short shopping break before Temsa 4701 took me to Middlesbrough.

Sapphire Streetlite 1557 took me to Guisborough and was actually not too bad for rattles unlike some of the Sapphire 22's I've been on recently.

Next I decided to try out the soon to be withdrawn supported service 758 to Loftus, mixed feelings on the Slimline Solo SR, was nice and everything inside though. The service entered Guisborough with no passengers and left with only me and two other passengers.

Next I got Sapphire X4 to Whitby with another StreetLite, not too bad the journey on this, picked up a few walkers somewhere along the route.

Arrived in Whitby to discover it was rather busy, little did I know it was Whitby Regatta. Catch of the day was Coastal & Country's X162FBB which is a Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President but isn't a open topper, photographed a fair few coaches as well. Tried to get sausage and chips but time was against me, so I had to go and catch the X93 back to Boro which was very busy and only had about two seats free upstairs with one being next to me which I think is a good thing but I can't help but wonder why people haven't chosen to sit next to me...

Arrived in Middlesbrough to find 23 branded Streetlite unusually operating the X12 to Durham, photographed that then caught my steed back to Darlington which was OmniCity 4651 which was poor, struggled to get up to any form of speed especially with a small hill in Hartburn. One other thing bugging me with 4651 atm is there is a panel below the window which has come off and has been wedged between the seat and it's been like this over a month now! I discovered I had a chance of catching the 5A home but knowing my luck we ended up stopping at almost every stop round Whinfield and Harrowgate Hill picking up people heading to Harrowgate Hill W.M.C. as such we were 5 minutes late by the time we got to Harrowgate Hill Roundabout where as I ever I am treated to the sight of the 5A going round it, DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! Departed at Morrisons to catch my connecting Sapphire 7 home which was Pulsar 1513.

Thanks for reading. As ever there is some photos on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@N02/