North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - BusLoverMum - 23 Feb 2017

(23 Feb 2017, 7:16 pm)EL1TE Went around today..

10:09 57 Fewster Square to Gateshead Interchange (GNE 5321)

I was originally planning to get the 58, but got this as it came before the 58. It was a nice ride, seemed a bit more quicker than some of the other citylink citaros.

11:00 X24 Gateshead High Street to Sunderland Fawcett Street (SNE 24001)

Decided to give this service a go and I must say that the journey was fast and great. At the time I boarded with my friend, there was only about 4 other passengers on. The seats were comfortable and the legroom at the emergency exit was great! Must use this service again in the future and hope to see an increase in passenger numbers.

12:47 21 Newcastle Eldon Square to Durham Bus Station (GNE 6058)

Was going to get the X21 to have another ride on a StreetDeck, but 6135 turned up so I just went to get the 21 instead. I quite liked this one and hope to see myself using these hybrids more in the future.

15:35 21 Durham Bus Staion to Gateshead Interchange (GNE 6061)

Yet again I wanted to get the X21 but I didn't realise that the driver actually done a loop around the station so annoyingly I ended up boarding this thinking that the X21 left the station. This one seemed pretty sluggish up hills but was an ok ride.

16:37 57 Gateshead Interchange to Fewster Square (GNE 5296)

Took this one home after a tiring day in the rain. Had a comfortable ride back home on this and looking forward to seeing what these look like after refurbishment.

I quite enjoyed my day out and took a few photos with my phone... Should hopefully be getting a camera for my birthday tomorrow...

Thanks for reading.
More crossed paths - we got the 15:37 22 from Durham, having Just come in from Newcastle on the X21 - which was a streetdeck, if only you'd waited 20 minutes at Eldon Square!

Happy birthday for the morrow!

(23 Feb 2017, 8:02 pm)Jimmi There's great legroom on the backseat of a OmniDekka... If you sit sideways with your feet on the seats.

I got into the backseat of 6142 the other day and did manage to fit, albeit not very comfortably!
It's more of a (rather useless) parcel shelf, than a seat.

Bit like the back seat in a sports coupe. Actually, maybe that's it. Omnidekkas are really sports buses - public transport for all your mid-life crisis needs.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - EL1TE - 23 Feb 2017

(23 Feb 2017, 9:51 pm)BusLoverMum More crossed paths - we got the 15:37 22 from Durham, having Just come in from Newcastle on the X21 - which was a streetdeck, if only you'd waited 20 minutes at Eldon Square!

Happy birthday for the morrow!

Ah I remember seeing that pull in! I literally boarded 6061 just after I saw yours pull in the stand! You were nearly the first to spot me then Wink

Thanks for the wishes aswell Smile

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 23 Feb 2017

(23 Feb 2017, 9:29 pm)South Tyne Lad The worst has to be Arriva's Low Height B5LH Hybrids, Both at the back downstairs and upstairs, I just about have to bend my back to get out of the back downstairs in them!

Legroom wise, You've never experienced anything like it until you get on PCL Travel's LDV Van, Its hard to find a space to fit your legs through on them and your face is just about touching the one infront!

Haha, was on that LDV last Thursday, thankfully it was only me and one other person getting on in Rothbury and I got on first, so it was backseat where the aisle is, plenty of legroom there!

Saw that the legroom was terrible straight away, the other passenger didn't look particularly comfortable it has to be said.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - South Tyne Lad - 23 Feb 2017

(23 Feb 2017, 11:18 pm)Jimmi Haha, was on that LDV last Thursday, thankfully it was only me and one other person getting on in Rothbury and I got on first, so it was backseat where the aisle is, plenty of legroom there!

Saw that the legroom was terrible straight away, the other passenger didn't look particularly comfortable it has to be said.

I had the same seat from Alnwick to Rothbury, But I jumped off to get a drink quickly and someone had taken it by the time I got back!

First thing that came to my mind was missing the comfort of Steve Hurst's E200, Running on time every time, And not 30 mins early as this LDV was running.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 24 Feb 2017

(23 Feb 2017, 11:40 pm)South Tyne Lad I had the same seat from Alnwick to Rothbury, But I jumped off to get a drink quickly and someone had taken it by the time I got back!

First thing that came to my mind was missing the comfort of Steve Hurst's E200, Running on time every time, And not 30 mins early as this LDV was running.

Surprised you had time to get a drink and I dread to think how it ended up running half an hour early, when I did the 16 loop in its first week it left Rothbury 5 minutes early.

It's certainly a big difference in the standard of quality of service provided and its such a shame.

Didn't you have a Ford Transit on the M1 after that?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jamie M - 24 Feb 2017

(24 Feb 2017, 12:10 am)Jimmi Surprised you had time to get a drink and I dread to think how it ended up running half an hour early, when I did the 16 loop in its first week it left Rothbury 5 minutes early.

It's certainly a big difference in the standard of quality of service provided and its such a shame.

We need a "Van related outings" thread.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 24 Feb 2017

(23 Feb 2017, 11:40 pm)South Tyne Lad I had the same seat from Alnwick to Rothbury, But I jumped off to get a drink quickly and someone had taken it by the time I got back!

(24 Feb 2017, 12:10 am)Jimmi Surprised you had time to get a drink and I dread to think how it ended up running half an hour early, when I did the 16 loop in its first week it left Rothbury 5 minutes early.

I would send an email to Northumberland council about them as that is shocking running 30 minutes early, I'm guessing it missed out Sainsbury's too? - and the LDV van won't meet the contract spec easier I wouldn't have thought. I can't see them keeping the 15/16 contract for much longer if that's the way they are operating it.

And it was probably the same Transit Van I seen on the S1 a while back still partly with another operators livery. PCL seem to be getting worse not better - even those Rural Links darts (have they been sold or something?) were better than a LDV van and that horrible ex Hunters MPD which is in a state.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - South Tyne Lad - 24 Feb 2017

Aye, Its a real shame.

What's even worse was that I asked for a Day ticket on PCL Service's so I could use the M1, And was met with a blank face before a few seconds thinking time and all of a sudden came that I had to pay £2, With no ticket issued either....
So I had to pay again on the M1, Which indeed was ran with a Transit Big Grin , Absoutley no way to tell this was a bus route, Service number was crumpled on the dashboard and ran with a 8/12 Seater Transit with a manual sliding door....

If I ever do it again ( Not likely ) ill be doing the Saturday run as there's a X14 from Thropton which connects with the 16 on a Saturday, Running 1 min behind the M1.

(24 Feb 2017, 12:34 am)Tom I would send an email to Northumberland council about them as that is shocking running 30 minutes early, I'm guessing it missed out Sainsbury's too? - and the LDV van won't meet the contract spec easier I wouldn't have thought. I can't see them keeping the 15/16 contract for much longer if that's the way they are operating it.

And it was probably the same Transit Van I seen on the S1 a while back still partly with another operators livery. PCL seem to be getting worse not better - even those Rural Links darts (have they been sold or something?) were better than a LDV van and that horrible ex Hunters MPD which is in a state.

I might do tomorrow, But I honestly cant see them bothering to do anything.

It served the Sainsbury's, But didn't pick anyone up.

They probably have more than 1 Transit, As going by the condition of the one I had on the M1, They could buy 2 of them for £400.

(24 Feb 2017, 12:34 am)Tom I would send an email to Northumberland council about them as that is shocking running 30 minutes early, I'm guessing it missed out Sainsbury's too? - and the LDV van won't meet the contract spec easier I wouldn't have thought. I can't see them keeping the 15/16 contract for much longer if that's the way they are operating it.

LG02FFR which is the one with S1 branding was actually on the S1 on Saturday.

South Tyne Lad's outing was on Tuesday where they would have had the 613 and 885 to run to Hexham in addition to the 15/16, M1/T1 and S1.

Not quite sure what has gone wrong with allocations, it seems like everything is being ran as cheaply as possible. Not certain what the contract specs are but I would have thought that it would require a low floor accessible bus which the LDV which is step entrance is most certainly not, yes technically it's a coach but should still be a low floor bus.

That MPD looks ridiculous, Hunter Bros web address and phone number have been removed but still has www. Plus Tel. Still down the side: https://flic.kr/p/SbSaNc

(24 Feb 2017, 12:39 am)South Tyne Lad Aye, Its a real shame.

What's even worse was that I asked for a Day ticket on PCL Service's so I could use the M1, And was met with a blank face before a few seconds thinking time and all of a sudden came that I had to pay £2, With no ticket issued either....
So I had to pay again on the M1, Which indeed was ran with a Transit  Big Grin , Absoutley no way to tell this was a bus route, Service number was crumpled on the dashboard and ran with a 8/12 Seater Transit with a manual sliding door....

If I ever do it again ( Not likely ) ill be doing the Saturday run as there's a X14 from Thropton which connects with the 16 on a Saturday, Running 1 min behind the M1.

I might do tomorrow, But I honestly cant see them bothering to do anything.

It served the Sainsbury's, But didn't pick anyone up.

They probably have more than 1 Transit, As going by the condition of the one I had on the M1, They could buy 2 of them for £400.

I don't know mind, they should do something because they are paying PCL to run the service so you would expect it to be half decent! Such a shame someone like Travelsure aren't operating it, to be fair it wouldn't even be bad PCL running it if they did it properley. 

(24 Feb 2017, 12:50 am)Jimmi LG02FFR which is the one with S1 branding was actually on the S1 on Saturday.

South Tyne Lad's outing was on Tuesday where they would have had the 613 and 885 to run to Hexham in addition to the 15/16, M1/T1 and S1.

Not quite sure what has gone wrong with allocations, it seems like everything is being ran as cheaply as possible. Not certain what the contract specs are but I would have thought that it would require a low floor accessible bus which the LDV which is step entrance is most certainly not, yes technically it's a coach but should still be a low floor bus.

That MPD looks ridiculous, Hunter Bros web address and phone number have been removed but still has www. Plus Tel. Still down the side: https://flic.kr/p/SbSaNc

That's a surprise! Never seen LG02FFR on there for ages! And yeah they usually have the Transit van on the 613, and I'm guessing the T1 was operated by the Transit van on the same day?

Pretty sure the MPD isn't DDA compliant either with the blinds not in operation.

(24 Feb 2017, 10:12 am)Tom I don't know mind, they should do something because they are paying PCL to run the service so you would expect it to be half decent! Such a shame someone like Travelsure aren't operating it, to be fair it wouldn't even be bad PCL running it if they did it properley. 

That's a surprise! Never seen LG02FFR on there for ages! And yeah they usually have the Transit van on the 613, and I'm guessing the T1 was operated by the Transit van on the same day?

Pretty sure the MPD isn't DDA compliant either with the blinds not in operation.

LG02FFR became the regular on the 15/16 which is why it won't have been on the S1 in quite a while.

613, plus 808 and 882 have had the LDV for the last few months but has now seemingly made its way onto the 15/16.

Imagine that the Primo being in a smash hasn't helped.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Charles41 - 24 Feb 2017

The more I see and hear about PCL, the more disappointed I become. Issues are poorly maintained vehicles, out of date timetables, services not following routes described and buses turning up at random times.

Stephen Hurst of Spirit Buses ran an excellent service, he must be so upset.

I would love to travel to Alwinton and walk in the Cheviots again but feel I cannot rely on PCL to get home.

Charles

Further to my previous post, I've just attempted to check service times on PCL Travel's website. However the domain name expired on 22 February 2017.

Atrocious.

Charles

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - TEN 6083 - 24 Feb 2017

Looks like they still have the Darts as I saw one of them at Metrocentre Asda bus stop earlier today, looked like it was doing Asda shuttle runs from Prudhoe, though had an 808 route number printed on paper stuck on the window next to the front doors

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(24 Feb 2017, 5:51 pm)TEN 6083 Looks like they still have the Darts as I saw one of them at Metrocentre Asda bus stop earlier today, looked like it was doing Asda shuttle runs from Prudhoe, though had an 808 route number printed on paper stuck on the window next to the front doors

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah right so looks like the LDV is allocated to the 15/16 now and darts to the 808?

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 28 Feb 2017

Had a weekend away, I stayed in a hotel in Preston but spent little time there other than the hotel, here's what I got up to on the Saturday.

1035 152 Preston Bus Station - Blackburn Bus Station (Transdev - Volvo B7TL / Wright Eclipse Gemini - 2757)
1135 7 Accrington Bus Station (Transdev - Optare Versa - 234)
1250 M3 Burnley Bus Station (Transdev - Volvo B7RLE /Wright Eclipse Urban - 1853)
1401 M2 Nelson Bus Station (Transdev - Volvo B10BLE / Wright Renown - 1042)
1457 M4 Burnley Bus Station (Transdev - Volvo B10BLE / Wright Renown - 1046)
1550 152 Blackburn Bus Station (Transdev - Volvo B7TL / Wright Eclipse Gemini - 2757)
1702 1 Bolton Bus Station (Transdev - Optare Tempo - 1305)
1845 1 Blackburn Bus Station (Transdev - Volvo B7RLE / Wright Eclipse Urban - 1873)
2018 152 Preston Bus Station (Transdev - Volvo B7TL / Wright Eclipse Gemini - 2757).

Decided to head round these areas in the aim of getting some haulage on some of the vehicle types used in these areas... In the pouring down rain.

Started off with a Hotline branded Volvo B7TL / Wright Eclipse Gemini from Preston to Blackpool which was a nice smooth ride.

After a few minutes of spotting at Blackburn Bus Station where I spotted a ex First Dart in service, still in their livery minus logos, I caught a Optare Versa through to Accrington, whilst the ride and interior was okay, I still ain't a fan of these buses, seem to have little power and it seems like they corner as well as a house.

Did a bit spotting in Accrington where I saw stuff from Rosso, Transdev and some stuff from Pilkington Bus including recently acquired MPD LX06EZU which must be from either the same or similar batch as the two Phoenix have here in the North East. Got a Mainline Volvo B7RLE / Wright Eclipse Urban to Burnley, was hoping for a B10 but this wasn't too bad.

Decided to catch a Mainline Volvo B10 with 1046 being my steed to Nelson. Was thinking of heading to Colne but was a bit behind time, so did some spotting for a little while then decided to catch a B10 back to Burnley but this proved to be a bit of a wait for such a frequent service which was not helped by a Volvo B7RLE developing a issue, it eventually got away again and not long afterwards I got B10 - 1046 back to Burnley, which was a nice quietly loaded journey until that Volvo B7RLE broke down again and we had to take its passengers. I made a video of my ride on 1046 which I intend to upload to my YouTube channel sometime soon.

After a bit more spotting in Burnley, I got the same Hotline Volvo B7TL as I had that morning with the same driver, I stated my destination of Blackburn to the driver but there was something I forgot to say, to which she sarkily replied with "please" which I do admit I should have said please but I failed to do so and considering my issues with communicating, I don't appreciate being spoken to in this way

Next bus was a vehicle type I ain't that familiar with, the Optare Tempo. This is only my second ride on a Tempo, the first was with Pygalls Coaches on the short lived X27 which I rode between Peterlee Bus Station and Metrocentre. This was a nice change but it wasn't the best bus, sounded awful on hills and part way into the journey, water started dripping down fairly sizable droplets into my face and down my back, so moved into the middle of the backseat.

After my Tempo ride, I arrived at Bolton Bus Station... Jeez, what a utterly dark awful grim place this was, seemed rough as hell, especially at night. Was pleased to get on a Transdev Volvo B7RLE and out of this place, much better than the Tempo I had the other way, nicer ride, nicer interior and more power, nice journey back to Blackburn apart from when we got stuck behind a very slow moving Hummer Limo which we overtook.

Final bus of the day was 2757 for the third time today, whilst this is a decent bus, I would have quite liked a different one, the Volvo B10BLE I saw a photo working that service on that day would have been a good shout.

Thanks for reading this review, although this was in a different area, I hope you enjoyed reading it.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 01 Mar 2017

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154194713836714&id=129682371278

Just listen to the rattles!

I reckon this outing knocks the spots off any previous contributions.
2000 miles on his bus pass to raise money for the Freeman.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jamie M - 16 Mar 2017

With Jimmi...

Q3: Newcastle (1247) -> Wallsend (1330)

42: Wallsend (1333) -> Proctor and Gamble (1352)

309: Proctor and Gamble (1401) -> Newcastle (1445)

Walked to Gateshead

Q1: Gateshead (1501) -> Newcastle (1505)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 19 Mar 2017

So having kick started 2017 with a trip down to London at the end of January, with photos from the trip being viewed on the following link - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/albums/72157679617864356 - other photos which have yet to be uploaded will be uploaded at a later date. my next trip away will be to Edinburgh on Saturday 29th April followed by Manchester on Saturday 27th May having took advantage of the Virgin Trains 20th Birthday seat sale earlier this week.

Other trips I have in mind include:  
  • Berwick & Scottish Borders 
  • Scarborough & Whitby, Alternatively I was thinking I might try and do Whitby, Scarborough, York & Leeds in a day, obviously timings etc would need to be worked out.
  • AD122 Hadrian's Wall Country Bus
  • Carlisle & The Lake District, again timings etc would need working out
  • Dalesbus
  • Further afield I was looking at Brighton, Oxford, Reading & Derby

Does any further recommendations which I could add to the above list?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - citaro5284 - 19 Mar 2017

(19 Mar 2017, 2:30 pm)Malarkey So having kick started 2017 with a trip down to London at the end of January, with photos from the trip being viewed on the following link - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/albums/72157679617864356 - other photos which have yet to be uploaded will be uploaded at a later date. my next trip away will be to Edinburgh on Saturday 29th April followed by Manchester on Saturday 27th May having took advantage of the Virgin Trains 20th Birthday seat sale earlier this week.

Other trips I have in mind include:  
  • Berwick & Scottish Borders 
  • Scarborough & Whitby, Alternatively I was thinking I might try and do Whitby, Scarborough, York & Leeds in a day, obviously timings etc would need to be worked out.
  • AD122 Hadrian's Wall Country Bus
  • Carlisle & The Lake District, again timings etc would need working out
  • Dalesbus
  • Further afield I was looking at Brighton, Oxford, Reading & Derby

Does any further recommendations which I could add to the above list?

I got Glasgow to London Euston for £35 first class  Smile

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 19 Mar 2017

(19 Mar 2017, 2:37 pm)citaro5284 I got Glasgow to London Euston for £35 first class  Smile

I paid £40 in total in Standard Class for my two trips, price includes return journeys.