North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 14 Aug 2018

(13 Aug 2018, 10:01 pm)BusLoverMum I'm a fan of the snakes and ladders with duplicate numbers.
Wrightbus cock-up! They were all fixed some time ago.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 15 Aug 2018

Due to some plans falling through, I ended up with a whole day to spare on Saturday, so had a bit of an adventure around the North East instead.

0820 7 Harrowgate Hill (7534)
0845 X66 Middlesbrough (4657)
0920 X93 Guisborough (7425)
1011 81 Great Ayton (4718)
1057 28A Middlesbrough (1469)
1143 1 Hartlepool (39658)
1249 X6 Dalton Park (694)
1346 9 Jarrow Bus Station (5338)
1502 5 near Royal Quays (5260)
1514 19 Cramlington (5264)
1606 43 Morpeth (7522)
1649 35 Ashington (7445)
1730 19 Cramlington (4978)
1807 X9 Newcastle (1504)
1900 X30 Stanley (5419)
1945 16A Durham (5448)
2020 7 Newton Aycliffe (1608)

Started off the day with one of the better E400s on the 7 (7535 & 7536 being the other two), I then bagged 4657 on the X66 which was relatively busy but got myself a seat at the back.

7425 carried me to Guisborough on the X93 with most of the seats taken upon departure from Middlesbrough, can't have been many if any seats left upon departure from Guisborough, so can't say I'd have fancied staying on all the way to Scarborough.

Not quite sure what made me want to visit Great Ayton but its been a while since I did an 81 & hadn't done the 28A yet but did do the old 29A which was a similar route, 1469 had a screw loose at the back making the panel behind me rattle like hell.

The Stagecoach Hartlepool service 1 is a route I like to do as I quite like some of the industrial scenery on offer. Don't mind the MANviros but the speaker for the bell is at the back and is a bit deafening if you sit in front of it.

Had a decent ride up from Hartlepool to Jarrow even if a bit long, journey became a bit unpleasant towards the end of the 9 journey as a passenger with a strong stench had boarded, smelt like weed or something.

Had a Omnicity thrash through the Tyne Tunnel carrying just me and a old lady, I alighted near the Royal Quays to catch a 19 in the hope of getting a Volvo B7RLE but landed an Omnicity instead but the driver was really going for it, making it a fun trip.

The 43 is not a bad trip to Morpeth on the top deck of a E400 although I was hoping for a 57 plate as these are often much more fun. After arriving at Ashington, I opted for 7445 which I don't mind, although these are a bit shagged now but can still put on a okay show on the 35.

After landing an Omnicity earlier in the afternoon, I caught another 19 which thankfully was a Volvo B7RLE this time, pretty decent ride over to Cramlington partly replicating the earlier 43 journey.

To head to Newcastle I had the choice between Pulsar 1504 on the X9 and a VDL Gemini on a X11, I opted for 1504 as it was much quieter than the Gemini and I don't mind the X9 route.

Finished the day off with a triple threat of StreetLite's taking a slightly convoluted route to Durham in favour of the usual 21/X12 route through Low Fell & Chester-le-Street. At Stanley I attempted to snap the rarely seen 704 service but a bloke walked across the bus station itself and got in the way thus ruining my shot. Had hoped for a Pulsar on the 7 but got 1608 which rather annoyed me as it's seemingly stalking me (now had it four times in the last fortnight )

Thanks for reading

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S830OFT - 15 Aug 2018

Sampled the PCL Travel 'Rural Link' 15 and 16 service yesterday, had a nice experience on-board the bus. I began my trip by boarding at Sainsbury's in Alnwick to ensure I got a good seat, the bus was Optare Solo M920 KX06 LYJ. Before departing the driver was saying the bus wasn't very reliable and it needs scrapping, we departed ontime and headed upto Alnwick Town Centre. We passed the PCL Sunshine bus on the A1 with stickers for the 15 on, I'm sure it would not have been very good to have that allocated.

At the bus station a decent load boarded with only a few seats left, and we also picked up at Clayport Bank, and even dropped off at Lemington Bank Top. The bus seemed to struggle with the hills but actually managed it.

As we entered Cragside a lady with her daughter and pram boarded, they turned out to be the drivers family and remained on-board for the remainder of the journey. 

The bus entered Rothbury where most passengers disembarked, around 5 passengers were left for the circular 16 service. Most passengers alighted around the Alwinton area, to where it was just myself and the drivers family left on-board. I must say the scenery was amazing, and with North East Explorer tickets now accepted it's well worth a ride.

Back at Thropton I asked the driver if the 15:50 M1 would arrive, he replied with "I don't know" he then got out the cab to look at the timetable, he came back and informed me it was a old timetable and that it only runs on mornings only now. The driver told me it would be easier going back to Alnwick and getting a Arriva bus than waiting.

It was very quiet back to Alnwick, the drivers daughter alighted at Cragside and the driver proceeded to Alnwick, the remainder of the journey was uneventful.

I think to improve the service currently provided would be to invest in modern vehicles alike the Wooler routes, or maybe interwork the services and have the M1 interwork with the 16.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 19 Dec 2018

Recently spent some time in the Highlands. Did the Highland Chieftan there and back, so lots of new rail miles and easily my longest trip on a Class 43.

I've mentioned elsewhere the spotting of an ex-SNE dart in Inverness, but the main highlight of the trip (bus wise), was a ride out on the 10.
Having been on a spare MMC 300 and a branded MMC 300 on the 11, I managed to bag one of the coaches that appeared last year on the 10.
The power difference between the MMC300 and the B11R was more than evident.
The seating comfort similar (more legroom on the coach), but ride quality on the coach a mile ahead. 
There were some narrow streets to the west of Nairn that could cause issues at certain times, but it was fine when I rode it. 
I didn't need to use the on-board toilet, but on arriving at Inverness Retail Park, the driver made use. 
I'd hope it was cleaned and maintained at each end. 
What was noticeable, was that we left Nairn approx 10 late. The driver wasn't in any rush before leaving either. Without hammering the vehicle at all, it arrived at the Retail Park dead on time.
The ride out on the MMC was laboured and on long stretches of straight, flat road, it needed that extra space in terms of gearing. It was screaming at times. The total opposite to the coach. 

Independant wise, D&E Coaches seemed to be the main player. Wheel forward Streetlites seemed to be the mainstay of work around Inverness, although I did see an old school Merc minibus blinded up for a Private Hire of sorts.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jamie M - 19 Dec 2018

(19 Dec 2018, 8:47 pm)Andreos1 Recently spent some time in the Highlands. Did the Highland Chieftan there and back, so lots of new rail miles and easily my longest trip on a Class 43.

I've mentioned elsewhere the spotting of an ex-SNE dart in Inverness, but the main highlight of the trip (bus wise), was a ride out on the 10.
Having been on a spare MMC 300 and a branded MMC 300 on the 11, I managed to bag one of the coaches that appeared last year on the 10.
The seating comfort similar (more legroom on the coach), but ride quality on the coach a mile ahead. 
There were some narrow streets to the west of Nairn that could cause issues at certain times, but it was fine when I rode it. 
I didn't need to use the on-board toilet, but on arriving at Inverness Retail Park, the driver made use. 
What was noticeable, was that we left Nairn approx 10 late. The driver wasn't in any rush before leaving either. Without hammering the vehicle at all, it arrived at the Retail Park dead on time.
The ride out on the MMC was laboured and on long stretches of straight, flat road, it needed that extra space in terms of gearing. It was screaming at times. The total opposite to the coach. 

Independant wise, D&E Coaches seemed to be the main player. Wheel forward Streetlites seemed to be the mainstay of work around Inverness, although I did see an old school Merc minibus blinded up for a Private Hire of sorts.
WF streetlites are a crime and aren't to be talked about or referenced at any point ever!

...They're hideous!

North scotland is unexplored for me, I'd find it hard to find the motivation to head up that way rather than cheap flights to warmer lands in the summer. Thats if I can have a day off, whatever one of them is

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - citaro5284 - 19 Dec 2018

(19 Dec 2018, 8:47 pm)Andreos1 Recently spent some time in the Highlands. Did the Highland Chieftan there and back, so lots of new rail miles and easily my longest trip on a Class 43.

I have done the 10 from Aberdeen to Inverness on one of the new coaches and after 4 hours arrived into Inverness.  Quite surprised when we went through some villages the driver got out and got bundles of newspapers which had been put into the lockers at Aberdeen out and people were waiting to collect them.

Going to be a bit of a shakeup in Inverness in the New Year as D&E Coaches hands over Inverness contracts to Stagecoach.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/1600776/de-coaches-hands-bus-contracts-to-stagecoach/

(19 Dec 2018, 9:08 pm)Jamie M WF streetlites are a crime and aren't to be talked about or referenced at any point ever!

...They're hideous!

North scotland is unexplored for me, I'd find it hard to find the motivation to head up that way rather than cheap flights to warmer lands in the summer. Thats if I can have a day off, whatever one of them is

Done a few areas up there now. 
Hit on lucky and it can be warmer than back home. No passport concerns (yet) either.

(19 Dec 2018, 9:19 pm)citaro5284 I have done the 10 from Aberdeen to Inverness on one of the new coaches and after 4 hours arrived into Inverness.  Quite surprised when we went through some villages the driver got out and got bundles of newspapers which had been put into the lockers at Aberdeen out and people were waiting to collect them.

Going to be a bit of a shakeup in Inverness in the New Year as D&E Coaches hands over Inverness contracts to Stagecoach.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/1600776/de-coaches-hands-bus-contracts-to-stagecoach/

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-updates/serviceupdatesarticle?SituationId=ID-17/12/2018-06:08:49:956

Yeah there is. There's mention of it on the Stagecoach website too.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 19 Dec 2018

(19 Dec 2018, 9:22 pm)Andreos1 Done a few areas up there now. 
Hit on lucky and it can be warmer than back home. No passport concerns (yet) either.
Would like to get up to the Highlands sometime but unlikely to be anytime soon, however with the recent LNER seat saver sale I am one day going to be catching train up to Dundee then catch a selection of Stagecoach buses down to Edinburgh to meet my train home, my plan should include a mix of coaches and normal service buses.

Other trips in January / February include: Edinburgh, Glasgow plus some stuff down in Lincolnshire and Norfolk (assuming weather doesn't spoil those plans).

Be a shock to the system as I don't seem to be getting anywhere other than Newcastle lately, lucky if I even see Teesside atm.

(19 Dec 2018, 10:23 pm)Jimmi Would like to get up to the Highlands sometime but unlikely to be anytime soon, however with the recent LNER seat saver sale I am one day going to be catching train up to Dundee then catch a selection of Stagecoach buses down to Edinburgh to meet my train home, my plan should include a mix of coaches and normal service buses.

Other trips in January / February include: Edinburgh, Glasgow plus some stuff down in Lincolnshire and Norfolk (assuming weather doesn't spoil those plans).

Be a shock to the system as I don't seem to be getting anywhere other than Newcastle lately, lucky if I even see Teesside atm.

One thing I regret about Dundee is not getting on a RM when they were kicking about. 
The 73 is worth a trip out, if only to get a conductor take your fare! 

The IC network across Lincolnshire is decent. Brylaine's route and stock was a favourite. The IC5 would also connect up Lincoln and Boston, bringing you closer to Norfolk. 
There's always the sight of RAF stuff en-route too. Particularly as the IC5 runs parallel to the perimeter fence, runway and BBMF hangar at Coningsby.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 20 Dec 2018

(19 Dec 2018, 11:12 pm)Andreos1 One thing I regret about Dundee is not getting on a RM when they were kicking about. 
The 73 is worth a trip out, if only to get a conductor take your fare! 

The IC network across Lincolnshire is decent. Brylaine's route and stock was a favourite. The IC5 would also connect up Lincoln and Boston, bringing you closer to Norfolk. 
There's always the sight of RAF stuff en-route too. Particularly as the IC5 runs parallel to the perimeter fence, runway and BBMF hangar at Coningsby.
Had a go on the IC5 when I was down that way at the start of the year and it is a fun route to do, better still as I bagged a BMC Falcon thing on it which was certainly a fun experience (YouTube video: https://youtu.be/rV4XaeBTFoU), also managed to bag DAF SB200 / Ikarus Polaris MK52XNN for a short trip on service K59 (YouTube: https://youtu.be/1SDhI7aZlkk).

Also pleased I caught Shaws service 100 between Spalding and Market Deeping considering the plug is about to be plugged on that one (although Delaine are offering a replacement service IIRC), Delaine being another I would like to check more out of.

Would quite like to get down towards Skegness again but difficult to do in a day, may have to do some trips where I stay over in the future.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - citaro5284 - 20 Dec 2018

(19 Dec 2018, 10:23 pm)Jimmi Would like to get up to the Highlands sometime but unlikely to be anytime soon, however with the recent LNER seat saver sale I am one day going to be catching train up to Dundee then catch a selection of Stagecoach buses down to Edinburgh to meet my train home, my plan should include a mix of coaches and normal service buses.

I do like Aberdeen and Inverness, defo worth a visit

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 21 Dec 2018

(20 Dec 2018, 12:17 pm)Jimmi Had a go on the IC5 when I was down that way at the start of the year and it is a fun route to do, better still as I bagged a BMC Falcon thing on it which was certainly a fun experience (YouTube video: https://youtu.be/rV4XaeBTFoU), also managed to bag DAF SB200 / Ikarus Polaris MK52XNN for a short trip on service K59 (YouTube: https://youtu.be/1SDhI7aZlkk).

Also pleased I caught Shaws service 100 between Spalding and Market Deeping considering the plug is about to be plugged on that one (although Delaine are offering a replacement service IIRC), Delaine being another I would like to check more out of.

Would quite like to get down towards Skegness again but difficult to do in a day, may have to do some trips where I stay over in the future.

Did the Falcon you rode, have an 'odd'  seating layout? 
Always got mixed up with some of the fleet, with them looking quite similar externally.
Those two you mentioned are both interesting vehicles. 
Sure Scott mentioned once that MK52XNN had spent time at Stephensons of Easingwold. It lacked power whenever I had it down there.

Skeggy is do-able in a day, depending on where you're starting from. If you end up in Horncastle, the route the PC Coaches 10 is a nicer ride to/from Lincoln than the Stagecoach 56. Breaks up the trip to/from Skeggy a bit too. 
The Brylaine A6 and A8 provides decent links to/from Horncastle with Coningsby or Boston (and the IC5) too.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 21 Dec 2018

(21 Dec 2018, 11:16 am)Andreos1 Did the Falcon you rode, have an 'odd'  seating layout? 
Always got mixed up with some of the fleet, with them looking quite similar externally.
Those two you mentioned are both interesting vehicles. 
Sure Scott mentioned once that MK52XNN had spent time at Stephensons of Easingwold. It lacked power whenever I had it down there.

Skeggy is do-able in a day, depending on where you're starting from. If you end up in Horncastle, the route the PC Coaches 10 is a nicer ride to/from Lincoln than the Stagecoach 56. Breaks up the trip to/from Skeggy a bit too. 
The Brylaine A6 and A8 provides decent links to/from Horncastle with Coningsby or Boston (and the IC5) too.
Yup, BMC I had was a mix of 2+2 plastic seats similar to Urban90's whilst towards the back was a 2+3 fabric affair but plastic for the back row.

Think I'm doing IC5 to Tattershall - A8 to Horncastle - 56 to Spilsby then B11 to Boston (although connection at Tattershall is a bit tight, only about 3 minutes).

I may take a crack at Skeggy in the spring/summer once the weather improves and the open toppers are back out there.

Did sample the PC Coaches service 47 between Newark and Lincoln and got a hybrid E400 on that which was a nice ride but the hour and a half long journey did drag on a bit towards the end.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 21 Dec 2018

(21 Dec 2018, 3:49 pm)Jimmi Yup, BMC I had was a mix of 2+2 plastic seats similar to Urban90's whilst towards the back was a 2+3 fabric affair but plastic for the back row.

Think I'm doing IC5 to Tattershall - A8 to Horncastle - 56 to Spilsby then B11 to Boston (although connection at Tattershall is a bit tight, only about 3 minutes).

I may take a crack at Skeggy in the spring/summer once the weather improves and the open toppers are back out there.

Did sample the PC Coaches service 47 between Newark and Lincoln and got a hybrid E400 on that which was a nice ride but the hour and a half long journey did drag on a bit towards the end.

The bonus being that when you're approaching Tattershall, you will see owt leaving towards Horncastle as soon as you hit Coningsby the first time, before it doubles back.
The other option is to get off and make the connection at Coningsby, getting off before it goes to Tattershall and comes back on its self.

Yeah that 47 does take an interesting route!

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - BusLoverMum - 21 Dec 2018

Even the gazette is getting in on the bus reviews Big Grin
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/breathtaking-sights-reassuring-chat-no-15567543

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jamie M - 22 Dec 2018

(21 Dec 2018, 7:15 pm)BusLoverMum Even the gazette is getting in on the bus reviews Big Grin
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/breathtaking-sights-reassuring-chat-no-15567543
A different arriva to the one I know

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 31 Jan 2019

A small review of January 2019 with photos from the local area and Carlisle - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/albums/72157702371930702

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 01 Mar 2019

The month of February featured quite a few outings across the region.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/albums/72157702371930702

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jamie M - 03 Mar 2019

(01 Mar 2019, 7:18 pm)Malarkey The month of February featured quite a few outings across the region.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/albums/72157702371930702

Was doubtful I was going to feature this time round, but I found myself driving a Vyking at the bottom. Feels like about 6 months ago since I drove that thing!

Some good pictures in there too!