North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 30 Aug 2014

My day so far...

0806 Metro - Stadium of Light to Monument (Refurbished Metrocar)
0840 #X84 - Newcastle to Hexham (GNE 5232)
1038 #689 - Hexham to Consett (GNE 641)
1145 #15A - Consett to Durham (GNE 6012)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - GuyParkRoyal - 31 Aug 2014

Leyland National 4710 on its way to Bishop Auckland. It passed the Wicket Gate in Chester le Street at 1305 looked and sounded superb, destination blind showing 724 Bishop Auckland.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 31 Aug 2014

(31 Aug 2014, 12:34 pm)GuyParkRoyal Leyland National 4710 on its way to Bishop Auckland. It passed the Wicket Gate in Chester le Street at 1305 looked and sounded superb, destination blind showing 724 Bishop Auckland.

Just missed it this afternoon.
Judging by the sound I heard a few moments ago, whilst getting a takeaway, it has just whizzed through Fencehouses too!
Didn't get to see it, too busy ordering the food.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 31 Aug 2014

(31 Aug 2014, 4:47 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Just missed it this afternoon.
Judging by the sound I heard a few moments ago, whilst getting a takeaway, it has just whizzed through Fencehouses too!
Didn't get to see it, too busy ordering the food.

I know when I got a shot of it on it's way to the Metro Centre rally in May, it was a case of hearing it before seeing it. Such a shame you don't get that sort of sound from modern buses.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 31 Aug 2014

(31 Aug 2014, 12:34 pm)GuyParkRoyal Leyland National 4710 on its way to Bishop Auckland. It passed the Wicket Gate in Chester le Street at 1305 looked and sounded superb, destination blind showing 724 Bishop Auckland.

By the looks of it from Looking on Facebook, The Northern National Restoration Group had a Run out Today, and started in Chester le Street at 13:00pm.

Furthermore from looking at there Page, if Today's Run out wasn't well supported by Enthusiasts, then the Group won't be doing anymore Runs out with 4710, so Today may of been the last chance to have a ride on 4710, as the Owners don't allow for the Public to have a ride about when it is at the Bus Rallies, which to me is a great shame.

(31 Aug 2014, 7:22 pm)NEBCD Malarkey By the looks of it from Looking on Facebook, The Northern National Restoration Group had a Run out Today, and started in Chester le Street at 13:00pm.

Furthermore from looking at there Page, if Today's Run out wasn't well supported by Enthusiasts, then the Group won't be doing anymore Runs out with 4710, so Today may of been the last chance to have a ride on 4710, as the Owners don't allow for the Public to have a ride about when it is at the Bus Rallies, which to me is a great shame.

I didn't know about it until the last minute really. I'd have loved a ride out and would have paid good money for it. I'm sure if they put a post on here in future, they'd be able to get a bit of support they wouldn't normally get.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 31 Aug 2014

(31 Aug 2014, 7:34 pm)aureolin I didn't know about it until the last minute really. I'd have loved a ride out and would have paid good money for it. I'm sure if they put a post on here in future, they'd be able to get a bit of support they wouldn't normally get.

You'd be getting your message across to a forum which houses almost 500 users, as well as all of the guests which view the forum too.

I'd argue rallies would be better supported if they were advertised more too, and getting on all of the Facebook groups and enthusiast forums is just one step they could take to promoting them more. It goes without saying that if something is well promoted and looks good, I'm more likely to attend... If I have a feeling that it's going to be the same old because no promotion has been done, I'm not likely to attend...

Getting folk to change their ways is a different kettle of fish though. I read posts on Facebook about that regarding rallies a few days ago...

(31 Aug 2014, 8:12 pm)Dan You'd be getting your message across to a forum which houses almost 500 users, as well as all of the guests which view the forum too.

I'd argue rallies would be better supported if they were advertised more too, and getting on all of the Facebook groups and enthusiast forums is just one step they could take to promoting them more. It goes without saying that if something is well promoted and looks good, I'm more likely to attend... If I have a feeling that it's going to be the same old because no promotion has been done, I'm not likely to attend...

Getting folk to change their ways is a different kettle of fish though. I read posts on Facebook about that regarding rallies a few days ago...

Do share Smile I rarely use Facebook, so I'm not part of any of these groups, so don't see anything.

I can't see what organisers have to lose by not advertising on here if I'm honest, although they may not like some of the feedback. All feedback is better than no feedback though I guess?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 31 Aug 2014

(31 Aug 2014, 8:18 pm)aureolin Do share Smile I rarely use Facebook, so I'm not part of any of these groups, so don't see anything.

I can't see what organisers have to lose by not advertising on here if I'm honest, although they may not like some of the feedback. All feedback is better than no feedback though I guess?

Quite a long conversation which stemmed from a link to my photos which I had took at Seaburn, hopefully this is the one Dan was referring to.

Duncan Robinson I see I did not miss much.
August 27 at 7:00pm · Like

North East Transport Photos Not at all, I thought it wasn't that great to be honest
August 27 at 8:16pm · Like

George William Stewart I thought this year was one of the best ive been to
August 28 at 9:52am · Like · 1

Kevin Brass Nice to see the faithful regulars in attendance, however there does not appear to be anything that we have not seen before, many times over.
August 28 at 10:06am · Like · 1

Duncan Robinson I think it is fair to say if they advertised it more may come.
Far to many rallies using the tired old argument that "its the same weekend every year" A long list of former rallies proves that does not work.
August 28 at 12:54pm · Like

George William Stewart well its in buses so you cant do any better than that
August 28 at 3:36pm · Like

Duncan Robinson Really? That depends on if you class a free diary entry as advertising. Paid for adverts get noticed. Diary entries do not. They are the tightfisted answer to not advertising at all.
August 28 at 3:44pm · Edited · Like

Kevin Brass Duncan, it is like talking to a brick wall when dealing with the N.E.B.P.T. trustees, they are stuck in their ways and do not take notice of what others who are enthusiast for progress suggest, that is why myself and four other members packed the events committee in three years ago.
August 28 at 4:52pm · Like · 1

North East Transport Photos Something does need to be changed with the Rallies up here, as there is far to many of them, and they all seem have the Vehicles every time, I suggested to another Enthusiast that I know, about Perhaps merging Whitley Bay/Seaburn and Tyne Tees Run Together, and Furthermore expanding so that Vehicles from Yorkshire and the Scottish Borders could be Involved.
August 28 at 4:58pm · Like · 1

Duncan Robinson I fully understand that. I do not enjoy watching rallies going down the pan like this. I saw it with sandtoft, meadowhall, crich, and several others. Then when you speak out you are made out to be the bad guy or a stirrer. The fact that you just care is not on the radar. I will support any rally that makes an effort. The rest can go whistle. They will get what's coming in the end.
August 28 at 5:03pm · Like · 1

Ian Wilson How is it going down the pan? George said it was one of the best he'd been to and the general consensus was that attendances were up. Just because it didn't appeal to you doesn't mean the same applies to everyone. No doubt you were aggrieved that a certain 'friend' of yours put in an appearance.
August 28 at 5:40pm · Like

Ian Wilson It wasn't perfect.They had run out of programmes early on in the day, and the timetable could have shown more than one bus every half hour, but it was obviously worth the £3 to those that had to pay to get in.
August 28 at 5:42pm · Like

Duncan Robinson Ian Wilson,,Firstly, I do not care who did or did not attend this rally. My decisions when deciding what rallies I attend are based on a number of factors like 1) is it well advertised? - in this case no, 2) is it in a good location? again no as I have 2 stalls destroyed by wind at this event in the past. 3) is there any other events on that day that would warrant my support? In this case a very loud YES. The event at Wythall is on the same day, is well run and well attended and a very friendly welcome is assured from the team there. 4) have there been any events in that area in the past couple of weeks? In this case its hard to tell, as there was allegedly an event at the washington air museum but the publicity was decidedly patchy so I am not even sure if it happened. Also please read some of the above comments like those from North East Transport Photos and Kevin Brass. These are local people who attended and I for one would be listening to what they have to say. The attending vehicles are stagnant, no new entries are received as most vehicle owners from outside the area do not know the rallies are even on, a diary entry in buses mag is one thing, but only really works when followed up with the cursed paid for adverts. I have loyally supported one event in the North East for 5 years now and have seen it decline as there is an insistence on it being run in the middle of a 4 week period that sees 4 rallies or bus related events in the area. It was kindly suggested by your good self that maybe I would like to consider not attending it in the future, a decision I had already taken. I have seen it go from a good event to - lets be honest - a rather poor one with promises that only heritage vehicles would be run, yet on the day at least 3 modern coaches were used as there were not sufficient heritage vehicles present, stall holders have dropped right off for the same reason. I then passed on comments overheard by a visitor who had attended for the first time about a vehicle and was shot down for doing so. I do not have a problem with that, there are plenty good rallies out there and I for one will be happy to keep giving them money for my stall and in some cases sponsoring them, it is not that I dont want to pay, I am happy to pay for any event where I stand a chance of making just a modest return. Currently there are no such rallies in the North East. When I first set up the idea of the Metrocentre rally I was very proud of what was achieved there, we proved it could be done. Now I do not want to be reminded of it, the embarrassment is too great.
August 28 at 7:16pm · Like

Ian Wilson I didnt see publicity saying only heritage vehicles would be run. The current operators were invited at the outset not just because there were 'insufficient heritage vehicles available'. The modern vehicles are appeciated by many and a good advert for coach travel. I'm not aware of 4 local events in 4 weeks. Only Kirkby Stephen comes to mind and that is hardly 'local'.
August 28 at 8:04pm · Edited · Like

Duncan Robinson I saw it referred to on here. Assurances were given.
August 28 at 8:07pm · Like

Graeme Scarlett I for one enjoyed the day and it is a bit unfair to criticise when people are just trying their best. I have organised rallies myself and know just what work goes into them, I agree that some rallies are seeming to be hijacked by the large companies The Metro Centre rally and Go North East springs to mind, but there are others too, sadly I know that some venue's which are council owned such as Durham Park and Ride and I presume Seaburn Recreation Ground the council insist now on there being a 'low flow' option for a large proportion of 'the run arounds', I know in 2007 when I organised a Rally on the car park next to the side of the old OK Motor Services Ltd site, Wear Valley District council were a right pain in the arse. I have been involved in other non transport related events where they have fizzled out, and are now sadly missed, all I would say is please don't let this happen in the world of classic bus rallies, we want more not less, so please continue to support these events WHOEVER organises them.
August 29 at 10:32am · Edited · Like · 2

Duncan Robinson Comments were made on here that only heritage buses would be used. Look at catchment areas. Kirkby Steven one week, next is Teesside, then south shields model bus exhibition and metrocentre all within 4 weeks. Wonder why people do not attend? You may not have heard the comments but believe me I did, people were not impressed. I have persevered with the event but enough is enough. I will have to do what loads of other stallholders gave done and give it a miss.
August 29 at 10:33am · Like

Graeme Scarlett Well that's a shame Duncan, I agree that this year a lot of events seem to have come together, of course The Kirkby Stephen event is flexible depending when Easter falls, this year it happened to be a late Easter hence it being the week before the Tee...See More
August 29 at 10:39am · Edited · Like

Duncan Robinson Graeme Scarlett The Metrocentre rally was set up from day one with Go North east as sponsors. Without their help the rally would never have taken place. The date was set by looking at rally dates within 100 miles and 4 weeks as vehicle owners and the public do travel to attend shows. There now seems to be an attitude that if there is nothing within 1/2 a mile on that day then lets do it and we will cut as many corners as possible with advertising. To be fair Teesside was fairly well advertised but it still falls in a 3 or 4 event period depending on Kirkby Steven. I would be happy to continue supporting it, as the majority of the team organising it are friendly and welcoming but if they are to continue with the same date then its not going to happen. NEBPT just do not advertise (paid for) and as a result only get repeat customers and buses and HCVS never have advertised. I would urge all the organisers to take a fresh look at next year and try to avoid all these clashes. There are so many potentially good rallies being let go by poor planning and poor advertising. Come on guys SORT IT OUT. PLEASE
August 29 at 11:02am · Like · 1

It's worrying that this is how things are getting. 'Duncan' seems to make some very good points, and certainly points that I've echoed on here myself previously.

The points about advertising are certainly correct. Organisers should be shouting about it from the roof tops to aim for the best attendances possible.

Perhaps a little unfair on location. I like Seaburn personally. Easy enough to get to, and it's good for photos. I understand the concerns a stall holder would have about wind, but surely there's solutions to that? Those big tents perhaps? Or wind breakers?

I think the comments by 'Graeme' are a bit unfair. GNE were a welcome attendee at the Metro Centre this year, as they are at any rally in my opinion. It's great that operators provide this level of support. There was a lot of interest in the modern vehicles, and it's not just about classic buses any more. Infact for someone my age, I always look for vehicles I can relate to, having seen or used them in service. Nationals, Atlanteans, VRs, Deltas, etc.

I think it's quite right that criticism is provided. I realise that people are trying their best, but at the same time, you always need to be open to both new ideas and progression. If criticism didn't exist, you'd remain stuck in old ways that perhaps don't work nowadays.

The comment about NEBPT is interesting, as it's certainly not the first time I've heard that...

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 31 Aug 2014

That was the one I read, Adam, yes.
Agree completely with the comments made by Duncan.

Think some of the comments about bus operators 'hijacking' rallies was a bit unfair. I know my main interest lies within buses which you see out on the road at present day. I like to see the older ones and have a ride on them, but I'd certainly miss seeing a presence from the modern day buses, if they weren't there. The main reason I want to go to Showbus is for the new buses that you can see there.

I'd argue that without the support of the big three, these rallies would have been going down the pan a lot sooner...

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adam - 05 Sep 2014

11:18 #X25 Eighton Banks - Chester-le-Street (4931)
11:25 #78 Chester-le-Street - Stanley (5375, running about 20 mins late)
12:29 #X30 Stanley - Gateshead (4845)
13:05 #56 Gateshead - Wrekenton (6094)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 05 Sep 2014

.jpg
15136009372_d3a08b7700_o.jpg
Size 43.74 KB / Downloads 33

Anyone attending?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 13 Sep 2014

(05 Sep 2014, 6:06 pm)aureolin Anyone attending?

All being well I should be, as I already have money set aside for Fifa 15, I get paid off the Job Centre again Tuesday, then again 2 Days after the Open Day, and my Dad said he going give some Money, so I should be okay Money wise.

I am curious to what Vehicles will be attending the event, and will it be similar to the one in Carlisle where Vehicles came from other Depots further afield.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 14 Sep 2014

Next year I don't think we are going abroad, however we were thinking of Cornwall. Does anyone know of any good places in Cornwall?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 14 Sep 2014

Torquay is really nice. Smile

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 14 Sep 2014

(14 Sep 2014, 3:17 pm)Marcus Torquay is really nice. Smile

Might consider that then.  Smile

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 15 Sep 2014

Following my Interview at Doxford Park, I decided to take some Photos in Houghton/Hetton/Easington Lane and Low Moorsley rather than go into Sunderland as I was planning on doing, Some really nice spots between Hetton and Low Moorsley which I plan on taking some more Photos at when the Weather is a bit nicer. 

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 15 Sep 2014

(15 Sep 2014, 5:42 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Following my Interview at Doxford Park, I decided to take some Photos in Houghton/Hetton/Easington Lane and Low Moorsley rather than go into Sunderland as I was planning on doing, Some really nice spots between Hetton and Low Moorsley which I plan on taking some more Photos at when the Weather is a bit nicer. 

Aye it's a lot easier than Sunderland City Centre for taking pics too! Smile 

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 15 Sep 2014

(15 Sep 2014, 5:42 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Following my Interview at Doxford Park, I decided to take some Photos in Houghton/Hetton/Easington Lane and Low Moorsley rather than go into Sunderland as I was planning on doing, Some really nice spots between Hetton and Low Moorsley which I plan on taking some more Photos at when the Weather is a bit nicer. 

Been telling whoever would listen to get out of the bus stations - did you get down behind the football stadium, where it is old fashioned?

There are some interesting spots as you go up out of Low Moorsley towards Pittington too - the 35 laying over and 265 bombing about. It isn't that far of a walk down to Pittington (if you didnt want to get the bus down) and there are some good spots there too